2021 Shoulder Length Challenge

faithVA

Post the following to join in

What length are you now?

What's your plan/regime to reach SL?

How will you celebrate/reward yourself when you reach SL?

Post your starting pic:

==================================================================
We may not have many participants so please check in 1x a month to help keep the thread active.

Plan to post your reveal pic by 12/30/2021. You can post earlier if you reach SL any time in between.

Post as many hair pics as you like because you know we love pics :yep:

Important Dates
December 31, 2020............Post Starting Pic
April 1, 2021.......................1st length check/update
July 1, 2021........................2nd length check/update
October 1, 2021..................3rd length check/update
December 31, 2021.............Final Reveal

faithVA

What length are you now? TWA

What's your plan/regime to reach SL? Wearing wash and goes. During the winter CCS every 5 to 7 days. During the warmer months probably CCS every 3 to 4 days.

How will you celebrate/reward yourself when you reach SL? I will buy a salon quality dryer.

Post your starting pic: Will post last week of December

Other: I doubt that I will reach SL by December 2021. But this is something to help keep me patient while I grow my hair out. 20201225_205542.jpg

Last edited:

Chaiwaters

I’m almost full neck length on the sides. The middle recently started growing in but it doesn’t really bother me because I’m use to it. It will catch up eventually.

My edges fell out and I was not retaining any length until a month ago when I found out I was severely anemic so now I’m taking 125mg of Iron daily with 1000mcg of folic acid (it was prescribed to me.) 5000mcg biotin, multivitamin and msm.

Since I’m currently doing protective styles I am spraying a leave in conditioner daily. I use sulfur 8 3-4x a week, WGO daily and JCO every other day. Every month I plan on doing an egg treatment, shampoo and a deep conditioner before redoing my hair.

I plan on getting in some kind of physical activity 5x week and drinking the minimum of 72oz of water daily.

faithVA

I’m almost full neck length on the sides. The middle recently started growing in but it doesn’t really bother me because I’m use to it. It will catch up eventually.

My edges fell out and I was not retaining any length until a month ago when I found out I was severely anemic so now I’m taking 125mg of Iron daily with 1000mcg of folic acid (it was prescribed to me.) 5000mcg biotin, multivitamin and msm.

Since I’m currently doing protective styles I am spraying a leave in conditioner daily. I use sulfur 8 3-4x a week, WGO daily and JCO every other day. Every month I plan on doing an egg treatment, shampoo and a deep conditioner before redoing my hair.

I plan on getting in some kind of physical activity 5x week and drinking the minimum of 72oz of water daily.
Hi @Chaiwaters ! Welcome to the challenge

TLC1020

I'm ear length right now, with back shaved down a little, had a pixie cut (currently in box braids).

My regime will be very simple continue taking my Iron, B-complex and Vitamin D supplements and incorporating iron into my daily meals (iron deficient for many years), keep my hair in a protective style to not manipulate my hair much, shampoo and deep condition once a week, moisturize my hair daily and seal my ends and continue stretching my relaxers past 12 weeks.

I will celebrate/reward myself by taking pictures and continue doing what I'm doing to get me to my next goal of Arm Pit Length.

Starting pic attached

Post the following to join in

What length are you now?

Post your starting pic:

==================================================================
We may not have many participants so please check in 1x a month to help keep the thread active.

Plan to post your reveal pic by 12/30/2021. You can post earlier if you reach SL any time in between.

Post as many hair pics as you like because you know we love pics :yep:

Important Dates
December 31, 2020............Post Starting Pic
April 1, 2021.......................1st length check/update
July 1, 2021........................2nd length check/update
October 1, 2021..................3rd length check/update
December 31, 2021.............Final Reveal

Attachments

• 20201225_203412.jpg
    20201225_203412.jpg
    833 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

faithVA

I'm ear length right now, with back shaved down a little, had a pixie cut (currently in box braids).

My regime will be very simple continue taking my Iron, B-complex and Vitamin D supplements and incorporating iron into my daily meals (iron deficient for many years), keep my hair in a protective style to not manipulate my hair much, shampoo and deep condition once a week, moisturize my hair daily and seal my ends and continue stretching my relaxers past 12 weeks.

I will celebrate/reward myself by taking pictures and continue doing what I'm doing to get me to my next goal of Arm Pit Length.

I'll upload a picture in December.
Welcome @TLC1020. Glad to have you!

GettingKinky

Hi All- I’d like to join- with a slight twist. My goal for 2021 is to have a SL wash n go. I’m close now, but once the salons around here open again I need to get a cut to get my shape together. Is it ok if I hang out here? If so, I’ll come back and answer all the questions.

GettingKinky

What length are you now?
- Just past ear length - on a day 2 wash n go

- I’m planning to wear wash n gos exclusively. I will wash/condition/style 1-2x a week.
- Once salons open up again I plan to get a shaping cut (which will probably make my hair even shorter)
- Quarterly maintenance cuts.

- Good question - I have no idea. I want to blow out my hair, but I don’t want to risk heat damage. If my stylist thinks my hair is in good enough condition maybe I’ll go for it.

Post your starting pic:
D3AE6357-D204-40EE-83E7-F83511ED89E6.jpeg

ItsMeLilLucky

Aka Giveme D’Monee
Oh snaps, I forgot to add the rest of the info. My bad y’all lol

What length are you now? I’m somewhere between ear and neck. Honestly I have a bunch of different length lol

What's your plan/regime to reach SL? Hopefully headband wigs, crochet braids and a sew in every now and then. Mostly just the headband wigs cause I can still care for my hair underneath. Winter always sucks for me. I plan to keep my hair in a sew in braid pattern so I can just throw my hair on and go. I still plan on washing and deep conditioning my hair at least every 2 weeks in the braids, then using my hooded dryer attachment to dry them. I spray my hair with leave in conditioner and use the oil I made at the bare minimum every other day until my APB stuff comes in. Also, I JUST NEED TO LEAVE MY HAIR ALONE (y’all know me, I’m terrible :lol: ). No pressure right?

How will you celebrate/reward yourself when you reach SL? I don’t know, I feel like maybe I’ve done too much celebrating and I just need to park my bottom somewhere lol. I’ll probably get a silk press.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
I'm in.

What length are you now? Between NL and SL. I had a setback last night (all my own doing) and will likely need a cut fairly soon.

What's your plan/regime to reach SL? Almost exclusively protective styling with wigs and extensions throughout the year.

Externally
For wigs, plan is to braid my hair into a pattern I can rock without a wig . Maybe into a high bun or half corn rows with half singles in back. Cowash as needed throughout the week with a dedicated shampoo and DC at least once a week.

For extensions, will probably be knotless braids or a bun with hair added. Will only do the shampoo and DC once a week.

Will do protein treatments as needed.

Daily - LOC for moisture

2-3 times a week, apply ayurvedic growth aide. I've never actually done this but it seems interesting and as long as I don't have any adverse reactions, I'm down to keep it up.

Giving up commercial hair dye. Even demi-permanent color causes extreme dryness that leads to breakage. Will look into henna/indigo and some of the new generation progressive shampoo and conditioners.

Internally
More clean eating and intermittent fasting. Eliminating as many processed foods as possible (but this will depend on what goes on with the COVID) and continuing to drink minimum of 4 L of water per day.

Taking supplements. I'm currently taking a prenatal, vitamin D, zinc, selenium, and beta carotene

By purchasing a new bra to motivate myself to continue on to APL and BSL.

Post your starting pic: Will attempt later tonight.

Attachments

• 20201221_221312.jpg
    20201221_221312.jpg
    759.1 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

TLC1020

Hey Ladies :hiya:

I'm checking in, I'm still wearing my box braids.. I go from wanting to remove my braids to thinking but why remove them now, its a pandemic and I don't go outside much, this week starts the beginning of winter, so snow storms are on the way.. I'm so undecided at the moment..

faithVA

I'm in.

What length are you now? Between NL and SL. I had a setback last night (all my own doing) and will likely need a cut fairly soon.

What's your plan/regime to reach SL? Almost exclusively protective styling with wigs and extensions throughout the year.

Externally
For wigs, plan is to braid my hair into a pattern I can rock without a wig . Maybe into a high bun or half corn rows with half singles in back. Cowash as needed throughout the week with a dedicated shampoo and DC at least once a week.

For extensions, will probably be knotless braids or a bun with hair added. Will only do the shampoo and DC once a week.

Will do protein treatments as needed.

Daily - LOC for moisture

2-3 times a week, apply ayurvedic growth aide. I've never actually done this but it seems interesting and as long as I don't have any adverse reactions, I'm down to keep it up.

Giving up commercial hair dye. Even demi-permanent color causes extreme dryness that leads to breakage. Will look into henna/indigo and some of the new generation progressive shampoo and conditioners.

Internally
More clean eating and intermittent fasting. Eliminating as many processed foods as possible (but this will depend on what goes on with the COVID) and continuing to drink minimum of 4 L of water per day.

Taking supplements. I'm currently taking a prenatal, vitamin D, zinc, selenium, and beta carotene

By purchasing a new bra to motivate myself to continue on to APL and BSL.

Post your starting pic: Will attempt later tonight.
Hey @B_Phlyy! It's so good to see you. Welcome to the challenge.

ItsMeLilLucky

Aka Giveme D’Monee
My hair after I took my wig braids down. I look like that doll off Rugrats but with more hair :lol: After this picture I washed it, deep conditioned it, did a little protein treatment and dried it under my scarf. Then when I came home I dried it with a dryer brush.

Attachments

• 6FE008AA-2373-4F02-804D-E4ECD4BBE979.jpeg
    6FE008AA-2373-4F02-804D-E4ECD4BBE979.jpeg
    202.1 KB · Views: 40

TLC1020

I added my starting picture to my initial post.. I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised when I remove my braids.. I plan to shampoo, deep condition with heat and air dry my hair and let it stay like that for 3-5 days before relaxing my newgrowth..

awhyley

Count Me IN!

I was about to post in the Waist Length challenge, until I saw this thread. I just big chopped lil over a month ago, so doubt I'll get to shoulder length, but it'll be fun trying.

What length are you now?
- Super short. I have a TWA.

Short hair1.1.jpgShort hair2.1.jpg

(Sorry for the poor quality of the pics, I haven't really taken any 'good' photos since the chop).

- Braids mostly when my hair starts to grow out, but until then, plenty of moisture, rice water and shea butter.

- No idea. I'm eyeing a steamer that I want, so depending on the time it takes to get to SL, maybe that.

I'll get a pic to post and come back with my regimen. (See below)

Pre-poo : In the midst of getting the Neges Banda Chebe prepoo
Shampoo: Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Shampoo
Conditioner: Sheabiscus Deep Conditioner (it's a Rinse-out)
Styling: Cantu Coconut Curling Cream/Rice Water/Shea Butter

Last edited:

faithVA

Count Me IN!

I was about to post in the Waist Length challenge, until I saw this thread. I just big chopped lil over a month ago, so doubt I'll get to shoulder length, but it'll be fun trying.

What length are you now?
- Super short. I have a TWA (will post pic).

- Braids mostly when my hair starts to grow out, but until then, plenty of moisture, rice water and shea butter.

- No idea. I'm eyeing a steamer that I want, so depending on the time it takes to get to SL, maybe that.

I'll get a pic to post and come back with my regimen.
Welcome @awhyley . I am also twa so you have company :smile: