2021 Shoulder Length Challenge

ckisland

I was going to join the APL/BSL challenge, but I've decided to spend this year growing out my wash n'go cause that's how I wear my hair 90% of the time.

What length are you now?
About EL

What's your plan/regime to reach SL?
Wash, with either sulfate-free shampoo or cowash, and DC once a week. Set my wash n'go with either with Miss Jessie's Coily Custard and leave-in, or my newly discovered combo, Emerge leave-in and EcoStyler Pink. I pineapple my hair at night. Other styles I'll wear are either a puff or flattwists. I will stay away from blowdrying (besides diffusing), flatironing, rollersetting, or doing small twists or braids.

How will you celebrate/reward yourself when you reach SL?
With hair products of course :giggle:

Post your starting pic:

wng_front_1-3-21_50.jpg wng_side_1-3-21_50.jpg

faithVA

I was going to join the APL/BSL challenge, but I've decided to spend this year growing out my wash n'go cause that's how I wear my hair 90% of the time.

What length are you now?
About EL

Wash, with either sulfate-free shampoo or cowash, and DC once a week. Set my wash n'go with either with Miss Jessie's Coily Custard and leave-in, or my newly discovered combo, Emerge leave-in and EcoStyler Pink. I pineapple my hair at night. Other styles I'll wear are either a puff or flattwists. I will stay away from blowdrying (besides diffusing), flatironing, rollersetting, or doing small twists or braids.

With hair products of course :giggle:

Post your starting pic:

View attachment 466967 View attachment 466971
Welcome @ckisland . Love your fullness.

Alta Angel

I want to attain full shoulder length with my locs for 2021 when dry or unstretched.

What length are you now?
My very back length is skimming the bottom of my neck. My sides are below my ear.

I am using Brina Organics African Chebe and Fenugreek Spray on my scalp and roots 3-4 times per week. I will oil my scalp 1x per week with Camille Organics Oil. I will massage my scalp 3-4 times per week.

I will take professional pics at the end of the year.

Post your starting pic:
6 month compare LHCF.png

faithVA

I want to attain full shoulder length with my locs for 2021 when dry or unstretched.

What length are you now?
My very back length is skimming the bottom of my neck. My sides are below my ear.

I am using Brina Organics African Chebe and Fenugreek Spray on my scalp and roots 3-4 times per week. I will oil my scalp 1x per week with Camille Organics Oil. I will massage my scalp 3-4 times per week.

I will take professional pics at the end of the year.

Post your starting pic:
View attachment 467039
Welcome @Alta Angel . Glad to have you. I love the increased volume of your locs.

sunnieb

Count me in!! So glad to see an old fashioned hair challenge going!

Post the following to join in

What length are you now? NL

Honey/EVOO dc weekly
Weekly dc (alternate moisture and protein conditioner and shampoos)
Clarify weekly
Cowash 3x a week
Moisturize and seal in sections daily
Bunning everyday
Spritz hair throughout the day with whatever is in my spray bottle to keep up moisture
Relax every 8 weeks

Definitely buy something off my Ulta favorites list!

Post your starting pic:

Luckily I took pics on December 30th to document my moisturizing routine:
Screenshot_20210106-173050_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210106-173027_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

TLC1020

Did my touch-up today and it came out great, had a lot of new growth to get thru... Not longer in length, but my hair follicles are filling in nicely and I can feel my hair is now becoming full and thicker again, before it was thin and lifeless from being iron deficient for so long.
I'm excited about the progress I made and excited about what's to come.... :blondboob:

ckisland

This week I was being a bum and didn't DC with my wash. I enjoyed my wash day with TMC, but my hair is soooo dry :cry3:! It got dry days ago. I've done 2 wash days NOT using my Miss Jessie's as my leave-in and styler and my hair just does not last. After 13 years of being natural, Miss Jessie's has become my holiest of the holy grail line :love: ! The only I don't have with MJ is a DC, but everything else is so moisturizing that I wasn't dcing before the weather got cold. I'm feeling super lazy (like I can't be bothered to pineapple :laugh:), so I'll probably put my hair in a protective style for the week.

faithVA

Count me in!! So glad to see an old fashioned hair challenge going!

Post the following to join in

What length are you now? NL

Honey/EVOO dc weekly
Weekly dc (alternate moisture and protein conditioner and shampoos)
Clarify weekly
Cowash 3x a week
Moisturize and seal in sections daily
Bunning everyday
Spritz hair throughout the day with whatever is in my spray bottle to keep up moisture
Relax every 8 weeks

Definitely buy something off my Ulta favorites list!

Post your starting pic:

Luckily I took pics on December 30th to document my moisturizing routine:
View attachment 467149

View attachment 467151
Hey @sunnieb , I think I've only hung out with you in the Home Forum. Glad to have you.

faithVA

I did my CCS (cleanse, condition, style) yesterday. Still playing around with the UFD + Aunt Jackie's gel combo. I'm not sure it is working but I'm not in the mood to try anything new. I doubt I will try another combo until the weather warms up and I can go outside with a wet head.

I saw someone mention deep condition. I can't remember the last time I deep conditioned :lol: Maybe I will deep condition the week before I color my hair again which I'm not sure when that will be either :ohwell:

sunnieb

Hey @faithVA :D

Thanks so much for starting this challenge!

Doing my weekly honey/EVOO dc now.

I figured this is a good time of the week for me check in and reflect on how I did last week.

I maintained my routine and didn't get lazy. Starting each week with a honey dc seems to keep me on track for success. I'll do my regular shampoo dc tomorrow and keep going from there.

Hope everyone is doing good!

ckisland

I washed my hair with MJ Harm Me Knot and DC'd with TGIN Repairx Hydrating Mask, and detangled with my EZ Detangling Brush in the shower. I DC'd for 1 hr, and LCO with MJ leave-in, TMC Curl Boosting Sherbet, and a sweet almond/co mix. Then I put my hair in 4 flattwists, which turned out cute in my opinion :grin: . I'm curious to see if my style lasts all week cause my hair be giving me "6 year old at the playground vibes" :rolleyes: :laugh:.

ckisland

I have been going through my other products and they suck so much!!!! :cry3: Just the other day, I used CD Coco Creme shampoo, conditioner and the moisture butter. My hair HATES shea butter in particular, but it hates ALL butters in general. My hair ended up drier than it would be with if I hadn't used any product at all!

I wanted to reset my hair, so I had to shampoo twice with MJ Harm Me Knot. I'm now in the midst of dcing for an hour with TGIN RepairX Hydrating Mask :mmmchocolate:. I'm going to do a wash n'go with my beloved. Going forward I'm going to see how my hair does being cowashed and restyled every 3-4 days. I'm hoping that it will up my moisture retention.