2021 Shoulder Length Challenge

faithVA

Wore my hair down all day on Friday. Totally unplanned. I wanted to take a pic to update my profile at work.

I styled it a little, took the pic, and planned to bun it right up. Dh saw me and made such a big deal about it! I decided to give him a treat and wore it down until bedtime. Felt weird, but I did enjoy my hair looking decent while being down. The past few years of struggling with damage and breakage made me not even think about wearing my hair out.

Doing my weekly honey/EVOO dc now.

Hope everyone is doing well!
I'm glad you let yourself enjoy it for a little while. Sometime we work, work and work but we never take time to enjoy.

ckisland

Months ago, I bought MJ Multicultural Gel Clear on a whim because I assumed that it would have a stronger hold than the styling lotions or Coily Custard. I tried it and didn't like it, so I threw it under the sink. I tried it again yesterday after watching 2 YT reviews and actually reading the description :look: .

I was so nervous to apply it with no leave in (the MJ leave-in does not mesh with this gel at all), but I trusted the instructions. I have never had this experience with only using a gel, but my hair isn't hard or crunchy at all! It's not as moisturized as it usually is, but I got some big, fluffy, bomb definition! Miss Jessie's is really out here changing my whole hair life :clap:

faithVA

Since I'm wearing wash and goes right now and my hair is super short, I decided to box up things that I can't possibly use anytime soon. I can't say I won't ever use them but it definitely won't be in the next 6 months. I sold my home almost 2 years ago and living in a temporary place so I have a lot of my hair stuff boxed up in a storage container. Yesterday, I went through the container and put all of the rollers and hair appliances into a box. You would think I rollerset weekly with the number of rollers I have :lol: Each year I will re-evaluate the box to see what I can let go.

I also threw out a lot of hair accessories like hair combs, bands, etc.

I still have a lot of stuff I'm not yet willing to get rid of. I have some clays and amla. I have a lot of teas I was using for my hair. I may try those later this summer but not while I'm trying to figure out my wng regimen.

I also have some stuff I need to give away as soon as I get a box to ship it in.

I think I may have made room for a stand-up dryer if I decide to get one. I need to take measurements and see if it will fit in the closet.

It feels good to declutter :yep:

GettingKinky

Since I'm wearing wash and goes right now and my hair is super short, I decided to box up things that I can't possibly use anytime soon. I can't say I won't ever use them but it definitely won't be in the next 6 months. I sold my home almost 2 years ago and living in a temporary place so I have a lot of my hair stuff boxed up in a storage container. Yesterday, I went through the container and put all of the rollers and hair appliances into a box. You would think I rollerset weekly with the number of rollers I have :lol: Each year I will re-evaluate the box to see what I can let go.

I also threw out a lot of hair accessories like hair combs, bands, etc.

I still have a lot of stuff I'm not yet willing to get rid of. I have some clays and amla. I have a lot of teas I was using for my hair. I may try those later this summer but not while I'm trying to figure out my wng regimen.

I also have some stuff I need to give away as soon as I get a box to ship it in.

I think I may have made room for a stand-up dryer if I decide to get one. I need to take measurements and see if it will fit in the closet.

It feels good to declutter :yep:
I have a million rollers and flexi-rods too. I went through a phase where I thought I was going to be a roller setting person, but it turned out I was too lazy. But before I figured that out I bough full sets of multiple sizes of rollers. They’re all collecting dust on the top shelf of my closet.

faithVA

I have a million rollers and flexi-rods too. I went through a phase where I thought I was going to be a roller setting person, but it turned out I was too lazy. But before I figured that out I bough full sets of multiple sizes of rollers. They’re all collecting dust on the top shelf of my closet.
Yeah I probably will only use them for special occasions. Now that my hair is more hydrated would love to see how a rollerset works on my hair. I will see if I get my hair back to SL and try it again. If I throw them out that will be the very time I will want to do a rollerset :(

TLC1020

I did some mini box braids on my own hair and will be wigging for most of March. I'm going to be super old fashion and get my hair straightened for Easter.
Its funny you mention box braids, I tried to do some box braids & knotless braids on my own hair a today, tuh.... I could not make them look right. After watching youtube videos, I still could not wrap the braid hair around my own hair as show in multple videos.. When I was able to finally accomplish the braids some what, the box braids and knotless braids did not look presentable enough for me to keep the 4 braids in.. I only wanted about 15-20 braids at the most.. Now I'm sitting under the hair dryer with my hair molded down....

faithVA

Finally colored my hair. I think when I get permanent color in the summer I will let the stylist do it. I just feel like I need a break. But this should hold me for 90 days.

Also did my CCS. So tired of this in between length. Hopefully, each month I see a little more progress to help me hold on.

20210307_163753.jpg

GettingKinky

@faithVA have you ever used demi-permanent color? I’ve never colored my own grays but my stylist always uses a demi-permanent color. I don’t really know the difference but the part she colors never washes out. She only has to retouch my roots.

faithVA

@faithVA have you ever used demi-permanent color? I’ve never colored my own grays but my stylist always uses a demi-permanent color. I don’t really know the difference but the part she colors never washes out. She only has to retouch my roots.
This is demi-permanent color I used today. But I like to use a permanent color at least once or twice a year. My hair does not hold color well, even permanent. Over time the color bleeds out and it turns red. I prefer the permanent color but I can't go more than 3 months without getting it touched up so I compromise using both during the year.

sunnieb

Girl, me too!

I bought that rollersetting DVD, way too many packs of rollers, clips, everything! Maaan, that stuff is still in the packages!

I did watch the DVD though! :lachen:

ckisland

I jumped in the shower for my wash day with supplies only to realize in the midst of cowashing that I was not going to DC today :rolleyes: . So I had to jump out of the shower and switch up the products I had. Anyway successful wash day completed in half the time :up: !! I wanted to do something different, so I put a part in my hair :lol: .

ckisland

So my side part vanished on like the 3rd day :lachen: ! I'm trying a middle part this time, so we'll see if this will last LOL!

For this wash day I used MJ's original cowash, TMC Egyptian condish, TMC Egyptian leave-in and TMC A-Maz-Zon Polishing Gel. TMC is meh for my hair, but I'm getting products for my birthday, so I don't care if it doesn't last.

faithVA

In April I will try to officially measure. But this weekend I measured with my fingers :lol: Three of my fingers measure approximately 2 inches. So I have about 5 inches on the side and 4 inches in the back. My bang is probably between 6 and 7 inches. The top of SL for me is about 12 inches.

Let's see if I can get 5 inches this year. That will get me to NL and give me a very good start for SL in 2022.

TLC1020

I did my own Jumbo Senegalese Twist for the first time on Saturday and they came out great :blondboob:.. Great protective style.. I will do them butter the next time.. I needed to do something to my hair, it's very short and 10 weeks post relaxer, I be looking ruff working remotely :hair:. Youtube definitely saved me.. :gorgeous:

sunnieb

@faithVA I know what you mean about the greys! For the longest I only had a few stragglers. Now, they're everywhere!

I've thought about coloring, but with my hair actually growing in now my roots would come through way too fast.

Maybe for a special occasion where I don't care about it growing out. I've thought about a purple or blue tint. Will share pics if/when I do it. :)

faithVA

@faithVA I know what you mean about the greys! For the longest I only had a few stragglers. Now, they're everywhere!

I've thought about coloring, but with my hair actually growing in now my roots would come through way too fast.

Maybe for a special occasion where I don't care about it growing out. I've thought about a purple or blue tint. Will share pics if/when I do it. :)
I think if my hair were a darker color I would let the grays just come on in. But my hair is a sandy, reddish brown and it just looks like I've been playing in dirt :lol: I tried not coloring it but I was very unhappy. So, I just get my happiness out of a box for now :lol:

sunnieb

I think if my hair were a darker color I would let the grays just come on in. But my hair is a sandy, reddish brown and it just looks like I've been playing in dirt :lol: I tried not coloring it but I was very unhappy. So, I just get my happiness out of a box for now :lol:
Oh wow! You got some natural color going on!

My hair is just black on black on grey stripes! :lol:

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
Going to clarify and deep condition my mini braids one last time before I take them down the rest of this week. Didn't think of it until the last minute, but I should have purchased hair dye. I think my picture should be up on Friday or Saturday.

ckisland

Why didn't anyone tell me about Obia Natural's Curl Enhancing Custard :mad:!!!! It's soooo good :woot:I was so confused when I was using it LOL!! It's smoothing and acts like a gel, but it's not drying. It is by far the best one and done product I've ever tried! I don't know if it's going to last all week since I didn't use any leave-in underneath it. I can't wait to do my hair again :weird: