2021 Shoulder Length Challenge

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
IMG_20210403_161050.jpg
I should have looked at the beginning picture so I could take the update from the right side.

Gained about 1 inch but those ends need trim. My hair is not 100% straight though since I was rushing this morning. Going to really focus on my scalp and end this quarter. I'll feel more could saying I'm go SL once the left side is about an inch longer. Hopefully I'll be there at the end of June.

rnlisa

Post the following to join in

What length are you now?

What's your plan/regime to reach SL?

How will you celebrate/reward yourself when you reach SL?

Post your starting pic:

==================================================================
We may not have many participants so please check in 1x a month to help keep the thread active.

Plan to post your reveal pic by 12/30/2021. You can post earlier if you reach SL any time in between.

Post as many hair pics as you like because you know we love pics :yep:

Important Dates
December 31, 2020............Post Starting Pic
April 1, 2021.......................1st length check/update
July 1, 2021........................2nd length check/update
October 1, 2021..................3rd length check/update
December 31, 2021.............Final Reveal

rnlisa

Post the following to join in

What length are you now?

What's your plan/regime to reach SL?

How will you celebrate/reward yourself when you reach SL?

Post your starting pic:

==================================================================
We may not have many participants so please check in 1x a month to help keep the thread active.

Plan to post your reveal pic by 12/30/2021. You can post earlier if you reach SL any time in between.

Post as many hair pics as you like because you know we love pics :yep:

Important Dates
December 31, 2020............Post Starting Pic
April 1, 2021.......................1st length check/update
July 1, 2021........................2nd length check/update
October 1, 2021..................3rd length check/update
December 31, 2021.............Final Reveal
I'm a new member, but I don't have a clue as to where to start...help

faithVA

I will probably color my hair and take my update pic at the end of the month to see if I can squeeze out an extra 1/8" between now and then. I also need some time to figure out what is going on with my wng.

I did a cleanse, condition and style today. Everything was good at the cleanse and condition step. I need to see if the Aunt Jackie's gel is causing a problem with my wash and goes or if it is just my hair.

awhyley

Since the last post (#28), I've seen a fair bit of growth, (but moreso, SSK's). My hair is about 3" all around (3.5" at the top) now.

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-04 .jpeg

I'm finding that it's more challenging to "wake the hair up" as it's getting very coily now. My concern is using the curl definer on a regular basis will worsen the situation. It was easier to manage when it was shorter; it's not long enough for twist-outs yet, and growing it out now is taking some getting used too. Any tips?

faithVA

Since the last post (#28), I've seen a fair bit of growth, (but moreso, SSK's). My hair is about 3" all around (3.5" at the top) now.

View attachment 470937

I'm finding that it's more challenging to "wake the hair up" as it's getting very coily now. My concern is using the curl definer on a regular basis will worsen the situation. It was easier to manage when it was shorter; it's not long enough for twist-outs yet, and growing it out now is taking some getting used too. Any tips?
What is your regimen? How are you wearing your hair?

awhyley

What is your regimen? How are you wearing your hair?

I'm wearing it out, but I'm thinking of getting those braids sooner rather than later. I was considering wigs as a protective style, but I'm not sold on the hair glue required. I wash (and go) and use leave-in conditioner mostly every week. Sometimes deep condition on the fly. Nothing too fancy.

faithVA

I'm wearing it out, but I'm thinking of getting those braids sooner rather than later. I was considering wigs as a protective style, but I'm not sold on the hair glue required. I wash (and go) and use leave-in conditioner mostly every week. Sometimes deep condition on the fly. Nothing too fancy.
You do a wash and go and then apply leave-in. What do you apply over the leave in? How often do you reset?

If you don't have a stylist you may want to dust your own ends every 3 to 4 months to deal with splits and SSKs.

awhyley

You do a wash and go and then apply leave-in. What do you apply over the leave in? How often do you reset?

If you don't have a stylist you may want to dust your own ends every 3 to 4 months to deal with splits and SSKs.

I don't apply anything over the leave-in. Thought that was the last required step. Should I apply more product?
I'm not really "resetting" per se, I'm putting curl definer on the hair every few days, but not daily.

faithVA

I don't apply anything over the leave-in. Thought that was the last required step. Should I apply more product?
I'm not really "resetting" per se, I'm putting curl definer on the hair every few days, but not daily.
If you are doing a wash and go, it is usually a gel as a base and maybe another product on top of that.
Or some do a wash and go with a leave-in and a gel or cream.
If you are doing an out style, it is usually a leave-in and a cream styler

I know of very few people who shampoo, condition and then just use a leave-in. It doesn't typically hold enough moisture in the hair which may be why you are having so many SSKs.

If you are setting your wash and go properly, there is no reapplication of product. You need a reset to get moisture back in. Apply product on dry hair may give the illusion of moisture but your hair can be drying out underneath.

There is a wash and go thread with some great ladies if you want to wear your hair in a wash and go long term.

awhyley

I know of very few people who shampoo, condition and then just use a leave-in. It doesn't typically hold enough moisture in the hair which may be why you are having so many SSKs.

If you are setting your wash and go properly, there is no reapplication of product. You need a reset to get moisture back in. Apply product on dry hair may give the illusion of moisture but your hair can be drying out underneath.

There is a wash and go thread with some great ladies if you want to wear your hair in a wash and go long term.

Can we talk about this reset/resetting? What exactly is it? Because I think I have the wrong interpretation of this.

faithVA

Can we talk about this reset/resetting? What exactly is it? Because I think I have the wrong interpretation of this.
Sorry about that. Forgot I'm not in the other thread. Applying your products and styling your wash and go is referred to as a set. Reset means the same thing. It means you got to the end of the life of your wash and go and now you are setting it again.

Because a wash and go is a style, styling it is called a set.

Some people when they get to the end of their wash and go, may put it in a puff or a bun or some other style. Others reset, or cleanse, condition and style on a certain schedule to keep their hair hydrated.

I cleanse, condition, style (reset) my hair every 3 to 4 days. After that my hair is too dry and the shrinkage is severe. This leads to more tangles and knots for me.

faithVA

Before work I clarified, shampooed, conditioned and then styled with UFD. It took me about 35 minutes. I am trying to simplify my wash day. I won't clarify often so that can help shorten my mid-week wash. Mid-week I will plan to shampoo once and I may shampoo twice on the weekend.

Since I'm wearing a wash and go, I can't really see any length changes, unless it is wet. Today, I was able to get all of the back into a small pigtail. I know I wasn't able to do that 2 weeks ago. Maybe in 2 months I can do a faux puff.

GettingKinky

Before work I clarified, shampooed, conditioned and then styled with UFD. It took me about 35 minutes. I am trying to simplify my wash day. I won't clarify often so that can help shorten my mid-week wash. Mid-week I will plan to shampoo once and I may shampoo twice on the weekend.

Since I'm wearing a wash and go, I can't really see any length changes, unless it is wet. Today, I was able to get all of the back into a small pigtail. I know I wasn't able to do that 2 weeks ago. Maybe in 2 months I can do a faux puff.

Yay for the small pigtail! That’s progress.

ckisland

@awhyley - @faithVA gave you some excellent advice!! In my experience, an excessive amount of ssks comes from hair constantly drying out, not detangling thoroughly, and strands not being set in place. Deep conditioning (this has been a game changer for me), and using a leave-in conditioner before any type of styler is applied will help with preventing dryness. Proper application of gel or another styling product can act similar to setting your hair in twists in that it will lock your curls/coils in place and prevent them from mingling with each other. From trial and error, I found out that I experience way fewer ssks if I detangle my hair thoroughly on a regular basis. My hair comes to my collar bone when stretched, and I've only found a couple of ssks in my hair in the past year even though I only wear wash n'gos and sleep with my hair completely loose and uncovered.

ckisland

Why didn't anyone tell me about Obia Natural's Curl Enhancing Custard :mad:!!!! It's soooo good :woot:I was so confused when I was using it LOL!! It's smoothing and acts like a gel, but it's not drying. It is by far the best one and done product I've ever tried! I don't know if it's going to last all week since I didn't use any leave-in underneath it. I can't wait to do my hair again :weird:
Update on the Curl Enhancing Custard:
This bad boy needs a leave-in desperately! Everything was great until day 4/5. My hair became so dry!!! I sprayed it with a little water and applied some Miss Jessie's leave-in, and that was a big mistake. All the product reactivated and it dried hard like a rock :cry: . I'm going to have to save up some coins and get the Obia Curl Moisture Cream because the custard is an excellent styler, but not by itself.

I looked at the leave-ins I have, and the MJ's one is the only real moisturizer I have. The other leave-ins (3 from the Mane Choice) are just water with 50,000 oils. The MJ's one is the only one I have that has identifiable moisturizing ingredients, and it's the only one that keeps my hair moisturized for days. But way doesn't it play well with the other gels and stylers that I have :cry:. It works with MJ Coily Custard (which I'm out of), but I'm trying it with a curl cream I got for my birthday. I hope it works out :pray:.

faithVA

Update on the Curl Enhancing Custard:
This bad boy needs a leave-in desperately! Everything was great until day 4/5. My hair became so dry!!! I sprayed it with a little water and applied some Miss Jessie's leave-in, and that was a big mistake. All the product reactivated and it dried hard like a rock :cry: . I'm going to have to save up some coins and get the Obia Curl Moisture Cream because the custard is an excellent styler, but not by itself.

I looked at the leave-ins I have, and the MJ's one is the only real moisturizer I have. The other leave-ins (3 from the Mane Choice) are just water with 50,000 oils. The MJ's one is the only one I have that has identifiable moisturizing ingredients, and it's the only one that keeps my hair moisturized for days. But way doesn't it play well with the other gels and stylers that I have :cry:. It works with MJ Coily Custard (which I'm out of), but I'm trying it with a curl cream I got for my birthday. I hope it works out :pray:.
Well you weren't sure it would last all week but at least it gave you 4 days.

TLC1020

Good job ladies.and Congratulations on your growth :spinning:

My hair still in the Senegalese Twist right now, I'll take a picture once I remove them to see where my pixie cut has progressed..

ckisland

Today was a very good wash day!! I shampoo'd with MJ Harm Me Knot and Dc'd with Obia Babassu Deep Condish. I bought a Felicia Leatherwood brush (accidentally got the travel size :rolleyes: ), so I used it to detangle as I applied the condish. I really liked it! It actually cut down my detangling time, and I lost very little hair! I Dc'd for 1hr. Before getting out of the shower, I applied the Obia Sweet Almond Heavy Cream as a leave-in. The slip is great, but I was surprised that a lot of my hair was white when I took each section down to apply the Obia Custard. I did my whole head in 20 mins, and when I finished there wasn't any white residue!

I love my results so far, so I can't wait to see how it is when it fully dries!

ckisland

My results were great!! My hair was definitely softer and more moisturized than when I used the custard by itself. I ended up stretching my hair a lot, so it was real fluffed by today (day 3). I got my order of MJ, so I went ahead and did my midweek wash early. I tried 2 new products, the Multicultural Curls lotion and Soften Me Up condish. The condish gave me excellent slip and made my detangling go super smooth. My hair didn't feel amazing after, but it was definitely moisturized. I applied the MC by itself, and I really love the texture. I applied a lot :look:. The whole process of cowashing, detangling, styling and showering took 45mins! Not bad at all.

faithVA

I had planned on waiting until May 1st but I am prepping my hair for color today and figured since I was not doing a wash and go, today is the best day to capture pictures. Whatever little growth I get between now and the 1st isn't going to be noticeable in pictures anyway :lol:

I shampooed, conditioned and then added a light layer of KKNT and then combed it straight down. I'm not going to bother with a pull test.

My hair is reaches the top of my ears on both sides. My front is the longest and reaches the area between my nose and lip.

The majority of my hair is 4". I have some parts in the back which are 3". And the front is 6".

December 2020 4/17/2021
20201225_205542.jpg 20210417_155317.jpg

April 16, 2021
20210416_085725.jpg20210416_085658.jpg20210416_085624.jpg20210416_085545.jpg

Last edited: