2021 Shoulder Length Challenge

Alta Angel

Things have been progressing well. I am washing my locs every three weeks and retwisting about every 6 weeks. I am still getting used to not using many products on my hair. I am still protecting my ends, drinking lots of water, massaging my scalp, and living life.

Shampoo:
  • Neutrogena Anti-Residue
  • Design Essentials Oatmeal Henna Clarifying
Leave-ins:
  • DIY Rosewater/Aloe Vera Juice/Oil mix
  • Dr. Locs Leave-in (I LOVE this!!)
Retwist:
  • Loc-N-Spray

jeanette epps LHCF.jpgmorgan is good LHCF.jpg

faithVA

In the past if I tried to dry my hair loose, it would feel OK while it was wet but it felt terrible as it dried. I'm trying it again today. I want to see if the change in my regimen has improved the condition of my hair at all. My hair is still wet. So far it feels nice and soft and drying hasn't introduced any major shrinkage. We shall see.

awhyley

If you are doing a wash and go, it is usually a gel as a base and maybe another product on top of that.
Or some do a wash and go with a leave-in and a gel or cream.
If you are doing an out style, it is usually a leave-in and a cream styler

I know of very few people who shampoo, condition and then just use a leave-in. It doesn't typically hold enough moisture in the hair which may be why you are having so many SSKs.

If you are setting your wash and go properly, there is no reapplication of product. You need a reset to get moisture back in. Apply product on dry hair may give the illusion of moisture but your hair can be drying out underneath.

There is a wash and go thread with some great ladies if you want to wear your hair in a wash and go long term.

Thanks for the info. It was all new to me, esp. using the gel as a base. I'm thinking that the dry drying out underneath maybe the cause of my issues. I stopped into the Wash n Go thread for a bit (it's really long), but between there and here, I'm gonna get this hair in check.

faithVA

Thanks for the info. It was all new to me, esp. using the gel as a base. I'm thinking that the dry drying out underneath maybe the cause of my issues. I stopped into the Wash n Go thread for a bit (it's really long), but between there and here, I'm gonna get this hair in check.
Yes, the wash and go thread is really long because it has been going across years. You can look at 2020 and 2021 and that information should be fresh. Anything older than that may not be useful because people have changed their regimens over the years.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
Looking good ladies.

I'm in a semi autopilot mode as I'm learning so I can heat train my hair. Was debating on that or texlaxing, but I know I won't keep up with a texlaxing schedule. Right now I'm washing and flat ironing once a week on Friday or Saturday.
Wash day is super simple;
shampoo, DC, and leave-in.
Air dry in twists.
Flat iron within 48 hours of the wash and then bun the rest of the days until I wash again.

I've only been doing this for the past 3-4 weekends but so far so good.

Been experimenting with different temp settings on the flat iron to see what I like best. 420F was too high for weekly use but 350F was so low, I had to go over each section like 5 times. Today I tried 370F and I was able to do 2 passes to get the hair straight. There is still a lot of frizz but I also tried a different leave-in so it could be that as well.

ckisland

It finally happened!!! I was grocery shopping and someone stopped and asked if my hair was real!! She was a older black lady with completely gray natural hair. She was so sweet! I gave her product suggestions and complimented her hair as well. It made my whole day!

GettingKinky

It finally happened!!! I was grocery shopping and someone stopped and asked if my hair was real!! She was a older black lady with completely gray natural hair. She was so sweet! I gave her product suggestions and complimented her hair as well. It made my whole day!
That’s awesome!!

faithVA

I'm not surprised. You have some lush hair. Glad you had a bright spot in your day.

ckisland

Tell me why I bought a bottle of the MJ leave-in that's in the new packaging and the formulation is different :oops:?!!! Tell me why did I try my tried and true styling combo with said new formulated leave-in and my hair came out completely different!!!!!!
:angry2::angry2::angry2::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::burnup::burnup::burnup::burnup:

So Imma try it again after I try out the new Obia products that are suppose to arrive tonight, and hope for the best :cry3:

GettingKinky

Tell me why I bought a bottle of the MJ leave-in that's in the new packaging and the formulation is different :oops:?!!! Tell me why did I try my tried and true styling combo with said new formulated leave-in and my hair came out completely different!!!!!!
:angry2::angry2::angry2::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::burnup::burnup::burnup::burnup:

So Imma try it again after I try out the new Obia products that are suppose to arrive tonight, and hope for the best :cry3:
I hate when products change their formulation.

ckisland

I was in a rush this morning, so I did a speed wash n'go which I haven't done in a hot minute! I divided my hair in half (which I never do), and did my conditioning and applied styler in only 2 sections. I cowashed with No More Suds, used Soften Me Up to only finger detangle (which I stop doing months ago), and used Honey Curls as my styler. I'm glad I looked at the Honey Curls directions since it said to use it on damp hair, and I always apply product to wet hair. My hair's still drying, but so far I'm feeling myself :grin:! I did my hair and showered in 20 mins! That's what's up!

Last edited: