2021 Shoulder Length Challenge

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
I call myself taking a cute selfie during my lunch but my edges in the view finder said put the camera down.

I knew I had had some dryness from the crochets, but I had been moisturizing my hair in between. I really have no idea why this is a mess.

Guess I'll be getting some summer time glow from all the oil I'll be using to help this out.

ItsMeLilLucky

Aka Giveme D’Monee
I call myself taking a cute selfie during my lunch but my edges in the view finder said put the camera down.

I knew I had had some dryness from the crochets, but I had been moisturizing my hair in between. I really have no idea why this is a mess.

Guess I'll be getting some summer time glow from all the oil I'll be using to help this out.
That front camera be vicious :lachen:

ItsMeLilLucky

Aka Giveme D’Monee
Y’all I negotiated at the beauty supply store :lachen: Sams Beauty and this particular bss had the same wig, but the smaller bss had it for $23 or $25 and Sam’s had it for $15.99. I asked if the smaller bss could price match, she explained that Sam’s is bigger (what she meant was Sam’s could afford to price it lower since they’re so big), but she would give it to me for $19.99. It was $21.99 with tax. I have never haggled at the bss in my life but something told me to do it. I feel so proud of myself.:lol:

faithVA

Thank you ladies for keeping the thread so lively. I took a mental hair break and so have been checking in less frequently.

I did a float therapy today which is in epsom salt. It was wonderful but my hair was not happy. I took my TGIN shampoo and color radiance shampoo with me and made sure to wash my hair immediately. Then before I left the place I put on my conditioner, plastic cap and my loc soc combo. I have been walking around like that since 1:30. When I got home I was way too sleepy and tired to try to twist my hair. So I put in some flat twist to hold me until tomorrow. :yay: Yay, I can finally flat twist my hair.

I'm going to try finger coils tomorrow and see how that works. If will be faster than 2 strand twist but want to see if they last as long.

faithVA

I'm enjoying my break from wash and goes. I enjoyed doing my hair at a more leisurely pace. I flat twisted my hair on Saturday but I didn't rinse the conditioner out. On Sunday, really late in the evening, I rinsed the conditioner out and still didn't style it. I ended up just putting in some big twist. And then last night I still waited until late at night. But I finally got around to styling my hair in finger coils. I will see how long these last. But if they last a week I may be doing these more often. They are quicker to do than 2 strands.

20210524_221139.jpg

I've always styled my twists with gel. I think next time I do twist, I am going to try it with a styling cream. In the past creams didn't work well on my hair but I will try it again with what I know now. Maybe I can get hold and volume with a twist out.

KenyafromCT

Wow. I’m super late to this thread. I had actually allowed my membership to lapse and I’m back as of 5 minutes ago!! Is it too late to join??

my hair grows but I find that I have to clip my ends so often because they always feel so dry. Especially the grays.

i use onion/garlic juice rinses for my scalp. I also add oregano tea to the mixture. Allow it to sit for 45 minutes to an hour. I then sit under the steamer to allow my pores to open up.

My products of choice are Soultanicals(heavy use) Mielle(the leave in) and I do a lot of DIY herb&powder/oil potions.

KenyafromCT

Wow. I’m super late to this thread. I had actually allowed my membership to lapse and I’m back as of 5 minutes ago!! Is it too late to join??

my hair grows but I find that I have to clip my ends so often because they always feel so dry. Especially the grays.

i use onion/garlic juice rinses for my scalp. I also add oregano tea to the mixture. Allow it to sit for 45 minutes to an hour. I then sit under the steamer to allow my pores to open up.

My products of choice are Soultanicals(heavy use) Mielle(the leave in) and I do a lot of DIY herb&powder/oil potions.

ItsMeLilLucky

Aka Giveme D’Monee

Welcome back!

faithVA

Welcome back @KenyafromCT. It isn't too late to join.

Just a suggestion. You may want to try a more moisturizing salon quality shampoo. I found that just by switching my shampoo to a higher quality, it fixed my split end issue and the dryness issue.

GettingKinky

I'm enjoying my break from wash and goes. I enjoyed doing my hair at a more leisurely pace. I flat twisted my hair on Saturday but I didn't rinse the conditioner out. On Sunday, really late in the evening, I rinsed the conditioner out and still didn't style it. I ended up just putting in some big twist. And then last night I still waited until late at night. But I finally got around to styling my hair in finger coils. I will see how long these last. But if they last a week I may be doing these more often. They are quicker to do than 2 strands.

View attachment 472405

I've always styled my twists with gel. I think next time I do twist, I am going to try it with a styling cream. In the past creams didn't work well on my hair but I will try it again with what I know now. Maybe I can get hold and volume with a twist out.
Cute finger coils!

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
My edges and front facing camera are still at odds but I can tell they are filling in a bit. Going to clarify and do a bonding treatment today or tomorrow. I'll be installing a set of mini braids for the month of June.

Just a suggestion. You may want to try a more moisturizing salon quality shampoo. I found that just by switching my shampoo to a higher quality, it fixed my split end issue and the dryness issue.

As much as I love finding a bargain on anything, I have found that shelling out for a good shampoo really does help with hair dryness.

Last edited:

faithVA

My edges and front facing camera are still at odds but I can tell they are filling in a bit. Going to clarify and do a bonding treatment today or tomorrow. I'll be installing a set of mini braids for the month of June.

As much as I love finding a bargain on anything, I have found that shelling out of a good shampoo really does help with hair dryness.
My hair is night and day with the better shampoo. I learned that I was to have multiple shampoos and rotate through them with varying usages. I never knew that. And also learned how to use them, when to use them, when to pair them. Had no clue. But thought that was too much for someone just getting started.

faithVA

@faithVA, what are the ingredients that you're looking for in a quality shampoo?
I don't have a list of ingredients. Now I look for salon quality. And for my moisturizing shampoo I look for one that is made for colored hair and also one that has a pearlized look versus translucent or creamy. Other than that, I just make sure it doesn't have a lot of oils and butters. I buy a sample size of the shampoo from Ulta or a salon first to try it. Don't have an ingredient list at this point.

KenyafromCT

Ok wow. Thanks for that suggestion. Do you have any that you’d be willing to suggest?

faithVA

Ok wow. Thanks for that suggestion. Do you have any that you’d be willing to suggest?
Unfortunately I do not. I use a shampoo that is made by Madison Reed and comes with my color. Possibly try something like a Pureology or Redken brand for colored hair.

I know it isn't necessary high end salon but perhaps you can try the Matrix line. It is easy to come by.

faithVA

When you do get a more moisturizing shampoo, clarify your hair first. Just use the clarifying shampoo once and then follow it up with the moisturizing shampoo. This will help give you a fresh start. I don't use oils but I still clarify every 2 to 3 months. But this may vary for you depending on what products you are styling with.

For the shampoo you currently have, you can probably still use that but maybe once every 2 to 3 weeks to give you extra cleansing. It also will depend on what products you are using to style.

faithVA

Shampooed, Conditioned, applied a leave in and then put in two strand twist with UFD.

I scheduled my next curl cut appointment for the end of July. I need to get my ends cut. I will wear twist until then. But I will try a wash and go sometime in June. Then I will color my hair mid July before my appointment. Hopefully I get another inch in that time frame. And hopefully she will only cut 1/2" to 3/4". Next time I won't wait as long and get it taken care of every 4 to 5 months.

ckisland

Check-in!!!
June 1st (progress since April 1st)

Front: 7.5 (+0.75)
Crown: 8.75 (+1.25)
Left ear: 8.25 (+0.75)
Right ear: 8.5 (+1)
Left back: 8 (+1)
Right back: 8 (+1)
Middle back: 8 (+2)

I'm so happy with my progress :weird: The middle of my nape was struggling real bad, and I'm so glad that it had a little growth spurt :clap:. I'm also a little past APL stretched!! Hopefully I'll be grazing BSL by the end of the year :pray::pray:

Last edited: