2021 Shoulder Length Challenge

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
Since the weather is cooling off, I'm likely going to be braiding my hair down and wearing wigs for the rest of the year.

The plan is to do a full shampoo and treatment every 2 weeks. Maybe blow dry and then do cornrows. Wear wigs mostly to go to work and special outings.

Daily, I'll be doing LOC to help hair stay moisturized. And a midweek cowash if needed.

ckisland

Sorry for posting my October update so late :laugh:

First pic: July '21 Second Pic: today
071421wng4.jpg wngfront_101621.jpg

It's not the best comparison, but it's the best I could find LOL! Unfortunately, I went through a few weeks of my hair shedding really badly due to stress in September, so my hair isn't as thick as it's always been. I'm still retaining length though, and I feel like the excessive shedding has chilled out. Hopefully I'll have a better update in December.

faithVA

Sorry for posting my October update so late :laugh:

First pic: July '21 Second Pic: today
View attachment 476459 View attachment 476461

It's not the best comparison, but it's the best I could find LOL! Unfortunately, I went through a few weeks of my hair shedding really badly due to stress in September, so my hair isn't as thick as it's always been. I'm still retaining length though, and I feel like the excessive shedding has chilled out. Hopefully I'll have a better update in December.
Looking good. Looking forward to that December update. :yep:

faithVA

Nothing going on over here. I wore twist for 10 days and doing a wash, condition set today. I'm trying a wash and go today to see if I can wear one for an upcoming event. Under the dryer now. Will see how it looks and see how it looks tomorrow.

faithVA

I did a wash and go on Sunday and it was short lived. I spritzed my hair with water and put my hair into several large flat twists.

I'm glad my hair has grown enough to put my hair into flat twists. I think next spring I will have enough hair to put my hair up quickly into 2 flat twists. When it gets there I will shampoo and condition my hair more often. My hair is doing so much better with increased hydration.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
Happy Belated Birthday @ItsMeLilLucky

Your hair looks nice.

I’ve been using DIY sulfur oil on my roots and ends. A total game changer. Far less ssks/tangles.

I've been looking at my stash of DIY ingredients and decided I need to start putting them to use. Going to make me a growth oil and some henna mixes to get stuff used up. Hopefully will get some good retention too.

faithVA

Shampooed, Conditioned and Set on Friday. Previous years I could not tell I was retaining until I did my yearly blow out. But now I can tell the different in length as I am twisting my hair. That is amazing for me. It isn't every month but every other month I can tell by twisting that my twist are getting longer. They still shrink up to the same length though :lol:

And my breakage is more than it was last year but much better than it was 2 years ago. When I can put my hair into 2 flat twists, I am going to resume deep conditioning. I will shampoo and deep condition over night and then twist up the next day.

Years ago I would take all weekend to do my hair. Now, I'm not interested in getting in and out of the shower. Adding deep conditioning once a month will be enough to start with.

I need to curb my expectations. Even though I know I will just be nape length in December, somehow seeing it and how far I am from SL can be disappointing.

GettingKinky

Shampooed, Conditioned and Set on Friday. Previous years I could not tell I was retaining until I did my yearly blow out. But now I can tell the different in length as I am twisting my hair. That is amazing for me. It isn't every month but every other month I can tell by twisting that my twist are getting longer. They still shrink up to the same length though :lol:

And my breakage is more than it was last year but much better than it was 2 years ago. When I can put my hair into 2 flat twists, I am going to resume deep conditioning. I will shampoo and deep condition over night and then twist up the next day.

Years ago I would take all weekend to do my hair. Now, I'm not interested in getting in and out of the shower. Adding deep conditioning once a month will be enough to start with.

I need to curb my expectations. Even though I know I will just be nape length in December, somehow seeing it and how far I am from SL can be disappointing.
Yay for noticeable growth!!

What do you think is causing you to have more breakage this year than last year?

faithVA

Yay for noticeable growth!!

What do you think is causing you to have more breakage this year than last year?
I'm not 100% sure. I'm thinking that as I add more inches, I have more coil points and more opportunities for the hair to curl back onto itself. I think this adds to splits and knots.

Also my ends are now a year older so they are not as healthy as last year.

Even though I get a trim my hair is not one length so she is never really trimming every hair.

Im also only doing my hair once a week. Last year I did my hair every 2 to 3 days.

Just the few things I can think of.

faithVA

Before work, I shampooed and put in deep conditioner. I will probably rinse it out tonight and put in a leave-in and twist it back up. Looking forward to when my hair is long enough for 2 flat twists. Will make things simpler.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
Last night was a wash day with what I though was a going to be a regular wash and deep condition. The deep conditioner was supposed to be a 'mild' color depositing cream but this was a full on pigmented product. Applying it to my hair was not bad but my hands turned brown and so did everything I touched. Had to spend an extra 15 minutes literally scrubbing my hands and the tub to get everything off.

My hair is currently in some Miss Celie plaits under a wig. I'm probably going to convert the braids to some cornrows this weekend. I'm also probably going to buy a new wig. Nothing is wrong with either of the 2 wigs I have, I just want a bit more variety.

faithVA

All my twists except for those at my crown reach my nape. I don't think it will make it by December but it will be there by the end of the 1st quarter. And I need my nape to gain at least 2 inches so I can wear a puff in the Spring. Will keep my fingers crossed with that.

I love my shampoos and conditioners but the fragrance is killing my eyes. After I use these up I will be looking for some fragrance free versions. I will start with the shampoo. I seem to do OK with the conditioner.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
I cornrowed my hair into a pseudo French roll hairstyle. Going to try to keep the parting pattern until the end of the year and redo the cornrows ever 3-4 weeks. Most days I wear a wig over them as I know it will aide in retention.

Based on my current work schedule, I should be able to actually do a proper length check on 12/31/21. And even if I'm no 100% at SL, I'll still be trying for APL in 2022.

faithVA

Last night was a wash day with what I though was a going to be a regular wash and deep condition. The deep conditioner was supposed to be a 'mild' color depositing cream but this was a full on pigmented product. Applying it to my hair was not bad but my hands turned brown and so did everything I touched. Had to spend an extra 15 minutes literally scrubbing my hands and the tub to get everything off.

My hair is currently in some Miss Celie plaits under a wig. I'm probably going to convert the braids to some cornrows this weekend. I'm also probably going to buy a new wig. Nothing is wrong with either of the 2 wigs I have, I just want a bit more variety.
What deep conditioner has color deposit?

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
What deep conditioner has color deposit?
dpHue Dark Brown

I was sent it for free from the Influenster app to try it. It definitely deposits color but it is semi permanent. So no prolonged grey coverage. The product itself isn't bad, I just was not expecting it to be what it was. Definitely going to keep it but next time I will probably use it in conjunction with my demi permanent color on a 'hair color day' to make it more shiny and vibrant.

faithVA

dpHue Dark Brown

I was sent it for free from the Influenster app to try it. It definitely deposits color but it is semi permanent. So no prolonged grey coverage. The product itself isn't bad, I just was not expecting it to be what it was. Definitely going to keep it but next time I will probably use it in conjunction with my demi permanent color on a 'hair color day' to make it more shiny and vibrant.
Thank You. That is good to know. I use a permanent color but it is always nice to have an option to freshen up in between to extend the time between my color applications.

faithVA

Sorry I have been missing in action. I've been so focused on getting into shape that I haven't been thinking about my hair.

I'm in two flat twist. Last week I tried a cream for twist and as usual I didn't like it. So I put in two flat twist instead.

I need to cleanse today but I'm not feeling it. But I also don't want my hair to dry so I will probably do it after dinner. I'm going to keep it simple: cleanse, condition; apply a leave-in and then a Mane Choice moisturizer and put in some twist. It is going to be cooler this week so if I need to go out I will just put on a slap cap.

faithVA

I said I was going to blow dry and trim my ends over the holiday weekend. I was enjoying my time off I decided to push it until xmas week. I will have more time then and then can do everything: color, blow dry, trim and do my last check in. Just going to keep my hair in flat twist or 2 strand twist until then.