2021 Twist, Braid, Bun Challenge - No Hiding Your Hair

kbutler

REMEMBER: No hiding your hair! No wigs, no weaves, no extensions, etc.

This challenge is for twist, braids, and buns on your own hair. Using these low manipulation and protective styles, we aim to retain the growth we achieve over the year.

Twists: 2 strand twists, flat twists, 2 strand flat twists, 3 strand twists, coils, bantu knots
Braids: Box braids & mini braids on your hair, plaits, cornrows, french braids, etc.
Buns: Any kind of bun or updo. We want our ends to be protected and tucked away!

RULES:
1. ALL STYLES MUST BE DONE WITH YOUR OWN HAIR EXCLUSIVELY.

2. Your hair must be in twist, braids or bunned for at least 5 consecutive days.

3. You can wear your hair out for up to 3 days between styling (i.e twist-outs, afros, wash and go, etc).

4. Check in 1x a month or more. Update us on your regimen, style, moisturizing secrets, etc.)

5. Post a picture of your hair at the beginning of the challenge and at the end.

6. The challenge will be from January 1, 2021 – December 31, 2021 but will run month to month. You can opt out for a month or more if needed. But when you commit, commit for the month.

7. You will have 1 pass per quarter, during the challenge to cover you for a week.

9. Heat is allowed in this challenge. Be sure to use a heat protectant and the lowest setting possible for your hair. Remember to be careful! We do not want to damage our hair for the styling purposes of this challenge.

REMEMBER: No hiding your hair! No wigs, no weaves, no extensions, etc.

Feel free to join at any time.

~~~~~~~~~~Join the Challenge by Sharing-----------------

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning, etc.)?

2. What is your style maintenance regimen?

3. Are you natural, relaxed, transitioning?

4. What do you hope to achieve from the challenge?

5. How often will you restyle your hair?

6. Include Starting Pic.
I need this channenge!

VictoriousBrownFlower

i just fin washing my hair... and putting it in 8 braids. i'll leave these in for a few days and when/if i feel like it put it in twists. My hair is behaving amazingly since the trim... I'm very happy with the results of it... i didn't trim off much but it made a huge difference to the feel, temperament, and shape of my hair....

VictoriousBrownFlower

today was a great wash day.... i made an amazing prepoo concoction that really did my hair right. It was a mix of coconut milk, 1 avocado, 1 banana, aloe vera powder, honey, my herbal oil mix, and a lil bit of shea moisture manuka honey and mafura oil dc.

I left that on for 45min to an hr with my hot head on. After that i shampooed and then dc'd with a mix of honeyshandmade honey hydration hair mask and coconut & hibiscus conditioning mask with my hot head for 30 min. After that was washed out i applied mielle organics white peony, then kinky curly knot today, followed finally by shea butter. After applying the products to a section i braided it to stretch.

My hair is now in 10 braids in a bun... I'm going to leave them in until i go out on the weekend.

snoop

today was a great wash day.... i made an amazing prepoo concoction that really did my hair right. It was a mix of coconut milk, 1 avocado, 1 banana, aloe vera powder, honey, my herbal oil mix, and a lil bit of shea moisture manuka honey and mafura oil dc.

I left that on for 45min to an hr with my hot head on. After that i shampooed and then dc'd with a mix of honeyshandmade honey hydration hair mask and coconut & hibiscus conditioning mask with my hot head for 30 min. After that was washed out i applied mielle organics white peony, then kinky curly knot today, followed finally by shea butter. After applying the products to a section i braided it to stretch.

My hair is now in 10 braids in a bun... I'm going to leave them in until i go out on the weekend.

That pre-poo sounds so yummy!!!:lick:

freeasabird

Last week: I roller set, did a very quick pass with my flat iron in big sections (around 8) just to knock out the curl. Surprised my hair had grown as much as it did and I retained as much as I did! I put it in a French braid right after. It's a week old now, so I'll take it down...add some Shea butter and re-braid it.

snoop

I JUST finished installing loose mini twists. My hair is moisturized and well oiled right now. I'm losing track of the days. It feels too close to the weekend to think about washing them so I think that I'll wait until next weekend. I'll baggy tonight an most likely tomorrow night, then thread my hair on Saturday.

icsonia22

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning, etc.)? Lately I've been throwing rope twist using my own hair into a bun. Before that, i was doing mini braids but they require too much manipulation during take down.

I moisturize when needed and re-do when my hair starts webbing (usually around week 5). I've been able to go as long as 9 weeks without washing my hair during the winter but I'll have to go back to once a month washes during the hotter months.

natural

i used a paddle brush back in January on straightened hair and it caused breakage so now I'm trying to grow out the damage and get to MBL all over my head (growing out an undercut in the back of my head)

hopefully only once every 5 weeks or as needed

6. Include Starting Pic

pics in pink cami were stolen from another challenge I'm in (pics taken on feb 8, 2021) because i didn't feel like taking a twist down for a length check. pic of bun from today

Attachments

• 20210407_064225_copy_756x1008.jpg
    20210407_064225_copy_756x1008.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 20210208_130736_2_copy_452x804.jpg
    20210208_130736_2_copy_452x804.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 20210208_131513_2_copy_452x804.jpg
    20210208_131513_2_copy_452x804.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

freeasabird

I'm under the dryer now with a Roller set. My hair was almost 3 weeks post wash and still looking great but I was starting to get flakes near my hairline...probably from the repeat aloe Vera gel I used to slick down my braid. So now I'll have a fresh and clean canvas to French braid in about an hour and a half. :bdance:

VictoriousBrownFlower

1. What is your primary style (twists, braids, bunning, etc.)? Lately I've been throwing rope twist using my own hair into a bun. Before that, i was doing mini braids but they require too much manipulation during take down.

I moisturize when needed and re-do when my hair starts webbing (usually around week 5). I've been able to go as long as 9 weeks without washing my hair during the winter but I'll have to go back to once a month washes during the hotter months.

natural

i used a paddle brush back in January on straightened hair and it caused breakage so now I'm trying to grow out the damage and get to MBL all over my head (growing out an undercut in the back of my head)

hopefully only once every 5 weeks or as needed

6. Include Starting Pic

pics in pink cami were stolen from another challenge I'm in (pics taken on feb 8, 2020) because i didn't feel like taking a twist down for a length check. pic of bun from today
ur hair is gorge....