2021 Twist, Braid, Bun Challenge - No Hiding Your Hair

VictoriousBrownFlower

I'm under the dryer now with a Roller set. My hair was almost 3 weeks post wash and still looking great but I was starting to get flakes near my hairline...probably from the repeat aloe Vera gel I used to slick down my braid. So now I'll have a fresh and clean canvas to French braid in about an hour and a half. :bdance:
yeah i get the flakes from my gel too if i go longer than a few wks.... i don't know why but since moving into this new apt i started getting dandruff again. i'm hoping this oil infusion helps with that.

VictoriousBrownFlower

my chagrin valley products came. So i'm currently infusing the stimulation tea in olive and castor oil. The oil and mesulin bag with herbs is in the double boiler on low heat... i'm planning to let it steep for around 7-10 hrs. Then i will turn off the heat and let it continue to steep until the oil cools fully and put it in an applicator bottle. The herbs act smell good... like green tea with peppermint.

VictoriousBrownFlower

i ended up only leaving the double boiler on for an hr and a half. i put a lid on it after that aand will let it steep with no heat til at least noon. Then i will put on plastic gloves and ring out the tea bag and store it in an applicator bottle in the fridge.

Lissa0821

I have the best mini twist results with Black Murrays Beeswax, it is not as thick as the regular one and it actually spreads easily on my fingers and hair. My twist plump right up after twisting and it looks good for two weeks. Also it seems a little easier to wash out as well. I found Amla oil really breaks it down if I apply and let it sit for a while prior to washing it out.

VictoriousBrownFlower

chagrin valley products worked amazing for me. My hair was so silky and moisturized after my wash yesterday. The oil infusion was super simple and came out great. after i was done washing i applied my leave in sealed with shea butter and oiled my scalp... then i twisted the section i was done with and moved on to the next. My hair came out great. def a keeper.

icsonia22

Snapchat-709352880_copy_160x313.jpgSnapchat-1805252877_copy_160x313.jpgI have been stalking the blogs of some natural hair veterans and gleaning ideas for ways to style my twist. I would normally just throw them in a bun and call it a day but my husband swears up and down that i never do my hair. Being a lazy natural is what I'm good at.

On another note, idk if i want to wash my hair in these twist and re-do them one by one or take them all out and henna. Our newest addition is 7 weeks so I'm guessing that post partum shedding is right around the corner. I need to do whatever is going to get the shed hair out the best.

VictoriousBrownFlower

View attachment 471249View attachment 471251I have been stalking the blogs of some natural hair veterans and gleaning ideas for ways to style my twist. I would normally just throw them in a bun and call it a day but my husband swears up and down that i never do my hair. Being a lazy natural is what I'm good at.

On another note, idk if i want to wash my hair in these twist and re-do them one by one or take them all out and henna. Our newest addition is 7 weeks so I'm guessing that post partum shedding is right around the corner. I need to do whatever is going to get the shed hair out the best.
thats a beautiful style... congrats on the baby.... why dont u try taking viviscal to prevent hair shedding?

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
So a few weeks ago or was it last week (I don't even know what day it is anymore. What is time? lol) I pressed my hair which was a fail, so followed that up by washing out the press, re-blow drying, and then put my hair into twists. This time bigger ones.
I like the look of the mini twists but I don't have the energy to install that many and kinda want to see how my hair does with bigger twists. But I do enjoy that my hair looks fuller and not a stringy as it did with the smaller size because of the relaxed ends.
Going to stay in twists until at least this November which would make 2 years of growing out the relaxer. An upside is not having to deal with SSKs.

snoop

View attachment 471249View attachment 471251I have been stalking the blogs of some natural hair veterans and gleaning ideas for ways to style my twist. I would normally just throw them in a bun and call it a day but my husband swears up and down that i never do my hair. Being a lazy natural is what I'm good at.

Congrats! I'm all for super easy hair routines, especially when you have to look after kids.

VictoriousBrownFlower

So a few weeks ago or was it last week (I don't even know what day it is anymore. What is time? lol) I pressed my hair which was a fail, so followed that up by washing out the press, re-blow drying, and then put my hair into twists. This time bigger ones.
I like the look of the mini twists but I don't have the energy to install that many and kinda want to see how my hair does with bigger twists. But I do enjoy that my hair looks fuller and not a stringy as it did with the smaller size because of the relaxed ends.
Going to stay in twists until at least this November which would make 2 years of growing out the relaxer. An upside is not having to deal with SSKs.
cograts on almost reaching 2 yrs transitioning....

VictoriousBrownFlower

i've been using a liquid prenatal for a while now and love it.... u know with pills u absorb as much as 20% of the vitamins but with liquid u absorb up to 80%... when i heard that info i was sold...

i stretch my hair by putting it in 10 large braids after washing.... i put the braids in a bun and let it dry that way.... then i take out the braids re moisturize detangle the section i'm about to twist and twist... no heat necessary

icsonia22

Thursday will make 3 weeks that I've had my mini twist in. I'm not sure when I'm going to start retwisting. I haven't applied any product near my scalp so that i can prolong the time between wash days but it is still becoming itchy within a week and a half. I've been moisturizing primarily with s curl and sealing the moisture in with whipped shea butter. Almost all of the styles that I've done have been styles that keep the ends stretched so that the ends don't curl up into eachother and form knots.

I think mini twist are going to become a regular part of my regimen if all goes well. I'm doing styles that i wouldn't dare try on my loose natural hair, i can wash it and it's easy to moisturize. Since I'm rope twisting, i don't expect to have any issues that come along with traditional twisting.

icsonia22

that sulfate free shampoo i was using wasn't cutting it so i took my twist down and washed my hair. my scalp feels so much better. my hair is in an in-between style right now with some braided bantu knots.

here's a length check from using the revair. my undercut area isn't too far behind the rest of my hair surprisingly. i installed the last set of twist on wet shrunken hair and it was almost a disaster. the shrinkage along with not properly detangling caused knots.

Attachments

• 20210513_160115.jpg
    20210513_160115.jpg
    443.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 20210514_001329_copy_452x804.jpg
    20210514_001329_copy_452x804.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 20210514_001705.jpg
    20210514_001705.jpg
    543.8 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

icsonia22

I'm in the process of putting the twist back in. Installing them on blow dried hair is sooo much easier. It helps that i found the perfect moisture combo that doesn't utilize glycerin. I moisturized with tgin tea tree leave in and sealed with castor oil before using the revair. I want to see if not using s-curl helps me avoid wash day for at least 6 weeks.

Attachments

• 20210519_150637.jpg
    20210519_150637.jpg
    537.3 KB · Views: 23

snoop

We've got a long weekend and so I took my medium twists down a week early. I've been threading my hair with close attention to my ends. I think that it's been working and that I'm starting to retain again. Every little bit of effort counts.

LHCF_ThreadedEnds.jpg

faithVA

I'm just lurking in here. I had a set back last year and was unable to do twist. So I did wash and goes last year through mid April this year. I've been doing 2 strand twists since mid-April and it is such a relief to having a break to doing my hair. Will stick with twist for a while and just try wash and goes on my weekends I color my hair for now.

I cleansed and conditioned this morning. I will twist it up tomorrow.

faithVA

yeah i get the flakes from my gel too if i go longer than a few wks.... i don't know why but since moving into this new apt i started getting dandruff again. i'm hoping this oil infusion helps with that.
Do you think it may be the water or maybe minerals or residue from the pipes? Do you have a chelating shampoo or a shampoo that removes mineral deposits that you can try?