• Tailbone length

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • Classic length

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • Whatever I can get this year!

Votes: 23 33.8%

• Total voters

Royalq

Were you doing small trims throughout the three years or did you do mini chops until all of the damage was gone?
Mini chops. I would take off 2-3 inches a couple times a year. It pained me to keep going back to APL. I kept dancing between below BSL to APL due to cutting off those ends. This time the mistreated hair was almost mid back length but the healthy hair was APL. So i cut back to apl once again and hopefully for the last time.

CheChe1881

:happydance: FINAL CHECK IN! END OF YEAR! :happydance:

hello ladies. I’m so shocked that I’ve kept up with this thread every quarter. I usually fall off but I committed to being consistent. Lol

Anyways, here’s my final thoughts.

1. I did not stick to any hair regimen
2. This year was very stressful
3. I wore my hair flat ironed 85% off the year :cry3:
4. Hardly did any protective styles
5. I cut a few inches off (probably 2/3 in. or so)
6. I am just a month or two away from my Tailbone length goal
7. I will be cutting about 4 inches off. My ends are a bit thin.

***Im hoping to do better next year <3

GOALS FOR NEXT YEAR
1. FULL Tailbone length hair
2. Regain thickness
3. Little to no flat ironing
4. Stick to a regimen
5. Low manipulation/protective styles

pictures:
(I tried to get the shirt straight, but it kept wrinkling)

I hope everyone had a lovely year. Cheers to another :cheers:

Last edited:

nyeredzi

Thank you @CheChe1881 for posting those lovely year-end photos. You've made great progress. Your ends look pretty good, but I understand wanting to thicken them up. It really only looks like the last inch or so is thin. I'll be doing the same at the start of next year, I'll need to take at least 2 inches

It's indeed time, Ladies, for thoses year-end posts. My hair is still in the twists with beads, but I'm taking them out tonight. I have a 4-day weekend, so better seize the opportunity to do my hair. My hair needs a trim, and I'm not at all confident I can do it myself evenly the way I want. But my stylist is closed, so I'll just do my best. I did reach my goal of hip length, which is great, since now it means when I cut back, I'll probably only have to cut back to waist length. Before, I was always hovering right above and right at waist length, because I'd always cut once I reached waist length. Now, starting with fresh ends at WL, I'm hoping my hair grows with a thicker hem back to HL. It barely matters, though, because once I'm at WL, I can do what I want with my hair, which is easily put it in a lazy wrap bun. I can also do twists that graze BSL, which was another style goal, though because of the layers, I don't like how they look. If my stylist were open, I'd ask her to cut in a way to bring the layers closer to each other, but oh well. I'll just try. I'll work on it over the weekend and post pics when I'm done.

So how's the end of the year looking?

@snoop
@Mapleoats
@mzteaze
@Lita
@Chicoro
@Nunavelli
@JudithO
@MizzBFly
@unlvgirl77
@Leeda.the.Paladin
@Prettymetty

Belicoily

Thank you for the interest! That means that if I have eight braids, I never take them all out/ never unloosen all the braids at once and erase the parts and put my hair into one ponytail, anymore. I keep my hair sectioned at ALL times. I used to wash and condition and have to comb, re-part and re-section and re-braid my hair. I no longer do this. The EXCEPTION is when I straighten and trim my hair 1x to 2x per year.

I do put all my braids in one ponytail. But, that is different. The hair stays braided and sectioned. Let me know if this is not clea
I do this with two strand twists. I have had as few as 28 twists in my hair and as many as 45 to 50 twists; depending on the look I'm going for. I used to wear mini twists when my hair was much shorter than now and this was way more twists and way more time consuming to install; it was like 80 to 100+ twists. Now that my hair is longer, I don't put my hair in the mini twists.

I do wash and condition my hair in my beloved twists as well as redo (when necessary) and style my hair in two strand twists. Most of the time the twists are styled in some sort of updo or I make the twists very, very curly with rods/rollers/ouchless barrettes so it looks like a pixie cut or very short bob. I don't like my twists to hang down because I don't want my ends to brush the clothing material of the tops or dresses I wear. I learned long ago that with my hair, over time this wears away at the ends causing knots, breakage and setbacks not to mention hindering length retention. I have massive shrinkage though on my 4B/4C mix hair and this helps a lot with not having hair that brushes my clothing.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
:happydance: FINAL CHECK IN! END OF YEAR! :happydance:

hello ladies. I’m so shocked that I’ve kept up with this thread every quarter. I usually fall off but I committed to being consistent. Lol

Anyways, here’s my final thoughts.

1. I did not stick to any hair regimen
2. This year was very stressful
3. I wore my hair flat ironed 85% off the year :cry3:
4. Hardly did any protective styles
5. I cut a few inches off (probably 2/3 in. or so)
6. I am just a month or two away from my Tailbone length goal
7. I will be cutting about 4 inches off. My ends are a bit thin.

***Im hoping to do better next year <3

GOALS FOR NEXT YEAR
1. FULL Tailbone length hair
2. Regain thickness
3. Little to no flat ironing
4. Stick to a regimen
5. Low manipulation/protective styles

pictures:
(I tried to get the shirt straight, but it kept wrinkling)

I hope everyone had a lovely year. Cheers to another :cheers:

Congratulations on your results.

You didn't ask me, but it's never stopped me before. Let me say this. I don't think you need to cut off 4 inches due to the health of your hair. If you want thicker ends, RIGHT NOW, I understand.

It looks to me like if you cut back that longest section of hair at the 6 inch line on your shirt. Every month, trim hair at that point. By month of my 4 to 6, your hair will start to thicken up at that newer length. Just hold the hair, with mini monthly cuts, at that length and 6 inch mark. The hair looks healthy to me. It just has some hairs dropping at longer lengths faster than the rest of the hair, which is the way hair normally grows.

Again, I understand that everyone is not a strand counter and holder like me!

Your results for 2021 are beautiful! Your length retention is great, too! Congratulations!

Chicoro

Dark Circles Dec 26 2021 B.jpgHair Length Check Dec 5th 2021 6.jpgHair Length Check Dec 5th 2021 3.jpg

*I used same pictures in the Luscious Healthy Ends Thread for 2022!*

The first picture is from December 28th, 2021. My braids are coated in Shea butter. The Hair Ends are nice and lubricated.

The second and third pictures are from December 5th, 2021. I have only loosened 1 of my 8 Bantu Knots. I didn't straighten my hair at all in 2021.
  • The hair in the front is about 2.5 inches past my belly button. I won't be cutting it back. I may trim my hair in Fall 2022.
  • The hair in the back is at my tailbone or 1/2 inch past my tailbone, depending upon how I am standing.
I wore braids and did an Ends Routine for most of 2021. I just discovered Olaplex in 0 and Olaplex 3, about 3 weeks ago. I used my beloved Shea butter in 2021 as well. I did not do any hard protein treatments in 2021.

My hair drops a few strands to a longer and newer length. Then, over a minimum of 12 months it starts to thicken up and the rest or bulk of the hair drops to that newer length.

This is the first time I've noticed my hair almost 3 inches past my belly button. The trick is to get the rest of my hair there, while retaining the longer sections in a healthy state.

My hair is about 6 to 8 inches past my waist. This is the longest it has ever grown.

I would say 2021 has been a success for me as it relates to hair!

Below:

August 2020 (Start Photo) vs December 2021 (End Photo) ( 1 year and 6 after)

Thank you!HairLengthCheckAugust30th20201-th.jpgHair Length Check Dec 5th 2021 3.jpg

Attachments

• 1640969997538.png
    1640969997538.png
    235 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Chicoro

Thank you @CheChe1881 for posting those lovely year-end photos. You've made great progress. Your ends look pretty good, but I understand wanting to thicken them up. It really only looks like the last inch or so is thin. I'll be doing the same at the start of next year, I'll need to take at least 2 inches

It's indeed time, Ladies, for thoses year-end posts. My hair is still in the twists with beads, but I'm taking them out tonight. I have a 4-day weekend, so better seize the opportunity to do my hair. My hair needs a trim, and I'm not at all confident I can do it myself evenly the way I want. But my stylist is closed, so I'll just do my best. I did reach my goal of hip length, which is great, since now it means when I cut back, I'll probably only have to cut back to waist length. Before, I was always hovering right above and right at waist length, because I'd always cut once I reached waist length. Now, starting with fresh ends at WL, I'm hoping my hair grows with a thicker hem back to HL. It barely matters, though, because once I'm at WL, I can do what I want with my hair, which is easily put it in a lazy wrap bun. I can also do twists that graze BSL, which was another style goal, though because of the layers, I don't like how they look. If my stylist were open, I'd ask her to cut in a way to bring the layers closer to each other, but oh well. I'll just try. I'll work on it over the weekend and post pics when I'm done.

So how's the end of the year looking?

@nyeredzi ,
I would like to thank you for hosting this challenge in 2021. You have so much on your plate. I loved seeing your beautiful hair updates and those of the other participants in this challenge. I experienced a surprising amount of growth. Had it not been for this challenge I probably would not have been so aware of the progress that I made.

Thank you again for hosting for us. Thank you for supporting and helping us to move more in the direction of our hair dreams. You are very much appreciated!

Thank you!!!!! :sneakyhug:

Kiaray8

Hey ladies! 0BD7B252-1D5D-4327-B934-3D908BF56FA8.jpegI really didn’t retain as much length as I was hoping this year. Comparison photo above is from Jan 2021 to dec 2021 (both photos are on air dried hair although the second my scarf is showing my bra strap length). My measurements went from
F: 17 M: 17.5 B: 15.5 to Front: 20.5 Middle: 21 Back: 18 inches. These measurements were after I trimmed off roughly half an inch to an inch in November as my end felt scraggly. I think it was a combo of falling off diet, lack of consistency with products, more focus on styling than health I.e too many top knot buns and lack of focus on my ends I feel. I was so focused on finishing my masters that my hair wasn’t as much as a priority so that definitely needs to change in 2022. Blow dried my hair too in November here’s a photo as I haven’t used heat officially in two years (excuse the mess lol)E0ADCB63-E007-4C77-835F-ED3BCA7E0F9D.jpeg

Loving all the photos from this thread, I’ll join this years one & probably the ends one as it’s needed I feel! The consistency of this thread definitely helped me prod along even if the length retention wasn’t as much as I hoped.

Chicoro

Hey ladies! View attachment 478011I really didn’t retain as much length as I was hoping this year. Comparison photo above is from Jan 2021 to dec 2021 (both photos are on air dried hair although the second my scarf is showing my bra strap length). My measurements went from
F: 17 M: 17.5 B: 15.5 to Front: 20.5 Middle: 21 Back: 18 inches. These measurements were after I trimmed off roughly half an inch to an inch in November as my end felt scraggly. I think it was a combo of falling off diet, lack of consistency with products, more focus on styling than health I.e too many top knot buns and lack of focus on my ends I feel. I was so focused on finishing my masters that my hair wasn’t as much as a priority so that definitely needs to change in 2022. Blow dried my hair too in November here’s a photo as I haven’t used heat officially in two years (excuse the mess lol)View attachment 478013

Loving all the photos from this thread, I’ll join this years one & probably the ends one as it’s needed I feel! The consistency of this thread definitely helped me prod along even if the length retention wasn’t as much as I hoped.

Congratulations on completing your Master degree!

Excuse me, but ahm you gained 3 inches all around AFTER a trim. That is FABULOUS!

If you come over to 'that ends' thread, you won't be leaving. Ever.

Mapleoats

Hey ladies! View attachment 478011I really didn’t retain as much length as I was hoping this year. Comparison photo above is from Jan 2021 to dec 2021 (both photos are on air dried hair although the second my scarf is showing my bra strap length). My measurements went from
F: 17 M: 17.5 B: 15.5 to Front: 20.5 Middle: 21 Back: 18 inches. These measurements were after I trimmed off roughly half an inch to an inch in November as my end felt scraggly. I think it was a combo of falling off diet, lack of consistency with products, more focus on styling than health I.e too many top knot buns and lack of focus on my ends I feel. I was so focused on finishing my masters that my hair wasn’t as much as a priority so that definitely needs to change in 2022. Blow dried my hair too in November here’s a photo as I haven’t used heat officially in two years (excuse the mess lol)View attachment 478013

Beautiful hair as always :love: , and congratulations on the Masters Degree! Come join us in the Grow It Long 2022 Challenge!

Chicoro

You make it sound like a cult lol :assimilate:

Not at all. I try to make things fun and light. As black women, our lives are not always fun and games. I'm the only one up in that thread holding onto people! With a cult, you need a following.

Chicoro

@nyeredzi @Chicoro
Thank you ladies so much. I think my final picture is a bit deceiving lol… But idk you tell me? It feels dead and lifeless. No body and movement.

I’m used to my hair looking like this below. Maybe it’s just how it’s meant to be (thinner) once you reach longer lengths.

Girl, please! There is NOTHING dead and lifeless about the way your hair looks. By the way though, technically, ALL hair that we can see once it grows out the scalp is dead in lifeless because hair is no longer undergoing mitosis, which is cell division. But that's a story for another time.

I see four main differences in the hair now and the hair before. The before hair looks like it has some highlights within it and the hair now looks like it is all your natural color. The hair before has ends that are trimmed to the thickest parts, or bulk of the hair. The hair now is not trimmed back. I think if you get your hair trimmed back to your waist, which looks like taking of 4 to 6 inches, it will look more like the hair in your before. The third difference I see is that all the hair is showing in the before picture. In the after picture, you only have 1/2 of your hair hanging down. The fourth difference is the before picture has some curl and it does not like Day 1 hair. The after or now picture has no curl and it looks like it is Day 1 hair. All those things make a difference. You really are not comparing apples to apples.

I think the holiday time frame, emotions and expectations all impact our vision. If it were me, I'd take as many photos and angles and positions of my hair as possible. I'd wait a few days and sit with my newly reached length. Then, I would look at my pictures and make a decision about the next step. Our eyes can deceive us because vision is not just a physical action. Pictures and photographs are more reliable.

Your hair is beautiful and full of life. If you decide to get your hair done or trimmed by someone else, please be careful of your attitude toward your hair, what you say about it and what you think about it, especially in the presence of the stylist. You do not want to give someone the unconscious license to cut off all your length gains. I just would caution you and encourage you to see that beauty in your hair. After all, you are the only protector and designated caretaker of your lovely hair.

Your hair is beautiful. It just may need a few tweaks to get it exactly how you want it to look.

Look at this head of hair Reniece does. At first the client's hair looks thin and dry after the blow-dry. But it really is not.

Last edited:

Kiaray8

Congratulations on completing your Master degree!

Excuse me, but ahm you gained 3 inches all around AFTER a trim. That is FABULOUS!

If you come over to 'that ends' thread, you won't be leaving. Ever.
Thank you, whew let me head on over! :lachen:

Fine 4s

Thank you for the interest! That means that if I have eight braids, I never take them all out/ never unloosen all the braids at once and erase the parts and put my hair into one ponytail, anymore. I keep my hair sectioned at ALL times. I used to wash and condition and have to comb, re-part and re-section and re-braid my hair. I no longer do this. The EXCEPTION is when I straighten and trim my hair 1x to 2x per year.

I do put all my braids in one ponytail. But, that is different. The hair stays braided and sectioned. Let me know if this is not clea
Clean parts is a small an easily overlooked aspect of my hair care but so important. It determines how I enjoy wash day routine and can manage/manipulate with minimal breakage. My new routine is to wash and DC weekly and blow dry so it's easier to keep parts clean.

Chicoro

Is the thread called 'That ends?' I'll try searching again.... @Chicoro
It called Luscious Healthy Ends Challenge 2022. Here you go: