• Tailbone length

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • Classic length

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • Whatever I can get this year!

Votes: 23 33.8%

• Total voters

nyeredzi

Hello ladies! Anyone care to join me for a WL or longer length challenge for 2021? Rules are easy. Post at least 5 length pictures in 2021 around the following dates:
  1. Starting pic (as close to the beg of year as you can)
  2. April 1 for spring check-in
  3. July 1 for Summer check-in
  4. Oct 1 for Fall check-in
  5. Dec 31st for final length

When you join, please let us know
  1. your current length
  2. your goal length
  3. your regimen (relaxed or natural, methods, favorite products, detangling methods, preferred styles, things like that)

Happy growing ladies! For quick reference, tailbone length is generally right at the top of your butt and classic is at the bottom of it.

nyeredzi

My starting pic is attached. It's a blow out with the Revair.

I'm natural, 4c. Regimen is wash with shampoo and condition every 1-2 weeks (trying for 2 weeks, but can't always make it). I'm currently trying out Indigenous Strandz's regimen of wearing hair in twists all the time and just redoing a few twists at a time. I've been trying that for a couple of months and it's working out well. It makes my hair more manageable because I don't have to do it all at once, and because of that I also have the time/patience to finger detangle.

My favorite products are:
  • Shampoo: Any shampoo with some help for my scalp. I've been using Head and Shoulders Royal Oils, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle (to which I added about 10 more drops of tea tree oil), and Nizoral which is another dandruff shampoo. I don't have visible dandruff, but my scalp gets irritated and itch
  • Rinse out conditioner: Trader Joe's Nourish Spa conditioner
  • Leave in: Qhemet Biologics Cocoa Tree detangling ghee (for leave-in)
  • Oils: olive, castor, coconut. I use coconut when my hair is starting to show signs of breakage, or just for a light penetrating oil that is very slippery. I use olive and castor to seal and for longer term prevention of tangling
  • Protein: Aphogee 2 minute or It's a 10 leave in with keratin

Currently waist length (WL is 18" root to tip on me), current measurements are 19" if measuring from root to tip, which is the only way I measure. There's some variation in the length of my hair, but it's all within 1 inch in that root to tip measurement. I'll try to always measure at the same spot during check ins, which is right above my left ear. My goal is hip length, which is about 20". That's only 1", but I'll probably want to get to 21" before claiming it. Classic is a bit over 23" for me and I doubt I'll make that this year, or maybe ever, but who knows?

Attachments

• dec2020_length_check.jpg
    dec2020_length_check.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 195
  • dec_2020_length_check.jpg
    dec_2020_length_check.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 178

Mapleoats

My starting pic is attached. It's a blow out with the Revair.

I'm natural, 4c. Regimen is wash with shampoo and condition every 1-2 weeks (trying for 2 weeks, but can't always make it). I'm currently trying out Indigenous Strandz's regimen of wearing hair in twists all the time and just redoing a few twists at a time. I've been trying that for a couple of months and it's working out well. It makes my hair more manageable because I don't have to do it all at once, and because of that I also have the time/patience to finger detangle.

My favorite products are:
  • Shampoo: Any shampoo with some help for my scalp. I've been using Head and Shoulders Royal Oils, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle (to which I added about 10 more drops of tea tree oil), and Nizoral which is another dandruff shampoo. I don't have visible dandruff, but my scalp gets irritated and itch
  • Rinse out conditioner: Trader Joe's Nourish Spa conditioner
  • Leave in: Qhemet Biologics Cocoa Tree detangling ghee (for leave-in)
  • Oils: olive, castor, coconut. I use coconut when my hair is starting to show signs of breakage, or just for a light penetrating oil that is very slippery. I use olive and castor to seal and for longer term prevention of tangling
  • Protein: Aphogee 2 minute or It's a 10 leave in with keratin

Currently waist length (WL is 18" root to tip on me), current measurements are 19" if measuring from root to tip, which is the only way I measure. There's some variation in the length of my hair, but it's all within 1 inch in that root to tip measurement. I'll try to always measure at the same spot during check ins, which is right above my left ear. My goal is hip length, which is about 20". That's only 1", but I'll probably want to get to 21" before claiming it. Classic is a bit over 23" for me and I doubt I'll make that this year, or maybe ever, but who knows?
Just such beautiful hair :love:

Kiaray8

C803FC31-DD1E-49A2-A139-45FB9326760C.jpeg

Happy new year everyone! Thank you @nyeredzi for creating this thread. So my current length check is F: 17 M: 17.5 B: 15.5- mid back length (I measure from root to tip on the same sections - back is shorter due to a bad cut I did in 2019). Waist length is 17 inches on me so I think I will hit that in the back by March & then I want to be as close as possible to hip length by the end of this year.

I’m natural - hair type details in my signature. My current regimen is shampoo once a week, condition to detangle, deep condition for 30minutes with a hot head cap. For styling, I mainly did wash and goes last year & went from APL to MBL. This year I probably will do WnGs during the summer but I plan to do more protective styles like buns, pigtails or mini twists. I plan to increase my wash days to shampoo’ing twice a week - Wednesdays & Sundays. My scalp is oily in general I don’t have any scalp issues it’s just preference. I mainly finger detangle or use a tangle teezer occasionally. I don’t brush/detangle or style my hair unless it is wet or damp so basically only on wash days - if I don’t like the way it’s looking I just wash.

My favourite products are:

• Shampoo: John Freida frizz ease shampoo & Tresemme Moisture Rich (I’m going to revisit creme of nature argan oil shampoo)
• Conditioner: Tresemme Moisture rich (I want to find another cheap rinse out this year)
• Deep conditioner: John Freida frizz ease DC, Crece Pelo, Shea Moisture Manuka Honey(Not used often as it’s v.thick for me)
• Protein DC: Vatika black seed mask
• Oils: Never been a big fan of oils too heavy on my hair but I will be using more products that are heavy in oils this year.
• Serums: Cantu Anti frizz organ oil & John Frieda frizz ease extra strength
• Creams & Leave ins: Shea Moisture shea butter detangler, Miss Jessies’ Pillow Soft curls, Qhemet Biologics Olive & Honey balm & burdock root butter cream, Any Camile rose product
• Gels: (used as sealants & for WnGs) Eco styler olive oil - black castor & flaxseed. Xtreme Wetline (can’t get in the UK atm but still a fav) Ecoslay jello shot, Edge booster gels.

Attached is a photo from today, excuse the covid weight :laugh: that will be another challenge for me this year too! Happy growing ladies!

nyeredzi

View attachment 466849

Happy new year everyone! Thank you @nyeredzi for creating this thread. So my current length check is F: 17 M: 17.5 B: 15.5- mid back length (I measure from root to tip on the same sections - back is shorter due to a bad cut I did in 2019). Waist length is 17 inches on me so I think I will hit that in the back by March & then I want to be as close as possible to hip length by the end of this year.

I’m natural - hair type details in my signature. My current regimen is shampoo once a week, condition to detangle, deep condition for 30minutes with a hot head cap. For styling, I mainly did wash and goes last year & went from APL to MBL. This year I probably will do WnGs during the summer but I plan to do more protective styles like buns, pigtails or mini twists. I plan to increase my wash days to shampoo’ing twice a week - Wednesdays & Sundays. My scalp is oily in general I don’t have any scalp issues it’s just preference. I mainly finger detangle or use a tangle teezer occasionally. I don’t brush/detangle or style my hair unless it is wet or damp so basically only on wash days - if I don’t like the way it’s looking I just wash.

My favourite products are:

• Shampoo: John Freida frizz ease shampoo & Tresemme Moisture Rich (I’m going to revisit creme of nature argan oil shampoo)
• Conditioner: Tresemme Moisture rich (I want to find another cheap rinse out this year)
• Deep conditioner: John Freida frizz ease DC, Crece Pelo, Shea Moisture Manuka Honey(Not used often as it’s v.thick for me)
• Protein DC: Vatika black seed mask
• Oils: Never been a big fan of oils too heavy on my hair but I will be using more products that are heavy in oils this year.
• Serums: Cantu Anti frizz organ oil & John Frieda frizz ease extra strength
• Creams & Leave ins: Shea Moisture shea butter detangler, Miss Jessies’ Pillow Soft curls, Qhemet Biologics Olive & Honey balm & burdock root butter cream, Any Camile rose product
• Gels: (used as sealants & for WnGs) Eco styler olive oil - black castor & flaxseed. Xtreme Wetline (can’t get in the UK atm but still a fav) Ecoslay jello shot, Edge booster gels.

Attached is a photo from today, excuse the covid weight :laugh: that will be another challenge for me this year too! Happy growing ladies!
Lovely hair and welcome! I've got an 8 lb. weight loss goal as well :look:

nyeredzi

A bun from earlier this week. This is the pin I used to hold the hair:

2020_dec_bun_pic.jpg

From Revair dried hair at the end of the year. It's already in biggish twists. I've been watching "easy", large, box braid tutorials and getting false confidence, so I might try to turn these twists into box braids. I don't like a lot of fake hair, so I want to try to copy Efficiently Natural's tutorial where she used just one pack of hair (thought it did look kind of big!)

Kiaray8

A bun from earlier this week. This is the pin I used to hold the hair:

View attachment 466923

From Revair dried hair at the end of the year. It's already in biggish twists. I've been watching "easy", large, box braid tutorials and getting false confidence, so I might try to turn these twists into box braids. I don't like a lot of fake hair, so I want to try to copy Efficiently Natural's tutorial where she used just one pack of hair (thought it did look kind of big!)

Beautiful pin!

nyeredzi

I’ve been trying to do this style but I think I may have to stretch my hair first. I’m terrible at cornrows so hopefully I will get the hang of it by the end of the year.
I am also terrible at cornrows, and my hair is almost never detangled enough to do them easily anyway. I can do a bad job on my mother's hair, which is fairly sparse and kept constantly detangled, but I can't do it well or my hair or my daughter's hair because I can never keep our hair fully detangled. I start to pull a finger through and bam, there are hairs tangled together before I can move my finger a full inch. Are you able to cornrow someone else's hair, so that the problem is just being able to do it on yourself? Or can you not do it on anyone?

Mapleoats

@nyeredzi i noticed you didn’t mention a DC in your original post. Do you not DC? I’m curious about naturals with very long hair that also have relatively simple regimens. @NaturalShe94 Post in the Grow it Long thread got me thinking.

i know that there are many extra things we do for our hair that are good. But at what point do we graduate from needing every last step, but are still doing them just because?

nyeredzi

@nyeredzi i noticed you didn’t mention a DC in your original post. Do you not DC? I’m curious about naturals with very long hair that also have relatively simple regimens. @NaturalShe94 Post in the Grow it Long thread got me thinking.

i know that there are many extra things we do for our hair that are good. But at what point do we graduate from needing every last step, but are still doing them just because?
I don't DC often. I think DCing probably does help a bit, but I just don't have time for it. I barely have time to do what I'm doing right now, and have to break up my hair care into doing 3-4 twists per day :lol: I don't find it makes a critical level of difference though, so that's the thing I usually cut. I might use the same conditioner I do for rinse out as a "DC" and just leave it on longer with a microwavable heat cap, so I can walk around doing stuff. Also, can't nobody be sitting under a dryer for an hour, ain't nobody got time for that. Even with the heat cap, that still means I have to do a whole separate rinsing of the hair to rinse it out, it just takes too much time. On rare occasion, I'll do that same kind of DC with something actually marketed as a "hair mask" or "deep conditioner", but so far I haven't been impressed with any of the ones I've randomly tried. For me, might as well use my $3 Trader Joe's and just leave it on longer.

Wait, let me take one thing back. I was impressed with Aveda's Damage Remedy Intensive Repair treatment. Does that count as a DC? I used it for strengthening more than softening, and you don't have to leave it in long. So when I used it, I would use it like a quick rinse out conditioner. But, it's too expensive, so I stopped using it.

NaturalShe94

It wasnt always simple. I started out DC-ing every week under a hooded dryer, protein treating once a year, hot oil treating, prepooing with coconut oil; the whole 9. You stop when you notice your hairs improvement. Little by little you can take a step away. After realizing improvement, DC-ing was cut to every two weeks to then once a month to now once every 3 months. No longer needing to hot oil treat or prepoo because it now holds moisture well. No more protein treatments because my hair doesnt break often and I’ve got pretty good elasticity. Im now in maintenance mode vs working on improvement. Do not take away any steps unless you can see and feel your hairs improvement. It took about a year and a half of super long wash days and about 3 years of hair jail to get even close to Hip Length. Hope this helps.

Mapleoats

It wasnt always simple. I started out DC-ing every week under a hooded dryer, protein treating once a year, hot oil treating, prepooing with coconut oil; the whole 9. You stop when you notice your hairs improvement. Little by little you can take a step away. After realizing improvement, DC-ing was cut to every two weeks to then once a month to now once every 3 months. No longer needing to hot oil treat or prepoo because it now holds moisture well. No more protein treatments because my hair doesnt break often and I’ve got pretty good elasticity. Im now in maintenance mode vs working on improvement. Do not take away any steps unless you can see and feel your hairs improvement. It took about a year and a half of super long wash days and about 3 years of hair jail to get even close to Hip Length. Hope this helps.
Always so helpful and makes a lot of sense! I’m still in hair jail, and happy to keep doing the extra steps. Hopefully in time I’ll get to the point you’ve reached.

Mapleoats

I don't DC often. I think DCing probably does help a bit, but I just don't have time for it. I barely have time to do what I'm doing right now, and have to break up my hair care into doing 3-4 twists per day :lol: I don't find it makes a critical level of difference though, so that's the thing I usually cut. I might use the same conditioner I do for rinse out as a "DC" and just leave it on longer with a microwavable heat cap, so I can walk around doing stuff. Also, can't nobody be sitting under a dryer for an hour, ain't nobody got time for that. Even with the heat cap, that still means I have to do a whole separate rinsing of the hair to rinse it out, it just takes too much time. On rare occasion, I'll do that same kind of DC with something actually marketed as a "hair mask" or "deep conditioner", but so far I haven't been impressed with any of the ones I've randomly tried. For me, might as well use my $3 Trader Joe's and just leave it on longer.

Wait, let me take one thing back. I was impressed with Aveda's Damage Remedy Intensive Repair treatment. Does that count as a DC? I used it for strengthening more than softening, and you don't have to leave it in long. So when I used it, I would use it like a quick rinse out conditioner. But, it's too expensive, so I stopped using it.
Yes I think the aveda counts as a DC!

Kiaray8

I am also terrible at cornrows, and my hair is almost never detangled enough to do them easily anyway. I can do a bad job on my mother's hair, which is fairly sparse and kept constantly detangled, but I can't do it well or my hair or my daughter's hair because I can never keep our hair fully detangled. I start to pull a finger through and bam, there are hairs tangled together before I can move my finger a full inch. Are you able to cornrow someone else's hair, so that the problem is just being able to do it on yourself? Or can you not do it on anyone?
I have done some on myself but honestly they look terrible :laugh: I do plan on doing some on my partner to practice more. I definitely think it’s easier to do on someone else I have found some videos that seem pretty helpful to learn so hopefully I will be able to do that by the end of the year.

snoop

Hello ladies! Anyone care to join me for a WL or longer length challenge for 2021? Rules are easy. Post at least 5 length pictures in 2021 around the following dates:

1. your current length WL
  2. your goal length TBL
  3. your regimen (relaxed or natural, methods, favorite products, detangling methods, preferred styles, things like that)
I started a regimen last October and I'm carrying it through to April 2021. If it works, then it'll be my new regimen, at least until the world opens up:​
  • First week, wash with natural cleanser (water only, honey, soapwort, yucca, etc.) with no conditioner. On week 4 clay wash (may include extras like protein strengthener, ayurveda, DC, etc.)
  • On week 1, LCOB, install twists (size will vary), then braid, then African thread length and ends.
  • Weeks 2 and 3, wash, re-braid, and re-thread
  • At the end of week 4 start the process again.
  • Products: Mainly DIY (cleansers, herbal spray, moisturizer, DC, ayurvedic oil)​
  • Exclusively finger detangle and finger comb​

Happy growing ladies! For quick reference, tailbone length is generally right at the top of your butt and classic is at the bottom of it.

I took a length check picture at the very end of November, and so I didn't bother taking one in for the New Year. Waist length isn't as obvious clothed, but I did temporarily post a shower pic in the last pic where it was more obvious. I did take a picture of twists at the beginning of this year. I really like how my hair looks on this regimen. It looks much healthier.

Attachments

• LHCF_LengthCheck_Nov2020.jpg
    LHCF_LengthCheck_Nov2020.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 117
  • LHCF_Jan2021.jpg
    LHCF_Jan2021.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 100

toaster

I would like to join if it’s not too late!

1. your current length - I have no idea. I guess waist length at the very back. I got a horrible haircut in December and my hair is all over the place.
  2. your goal length - I wear my hair in wash and go’s mostly now, but I’d love tailbone length hair all around with some face framing layers. I’ve grown my hair out to about hip length or longer a few times, but never tailbone
  3. your regimen (relaxed or natural, methods, favorite products, detangling methods, preferred styles, things like that) - I’ve seen washing my hair three times a week lately. Twice with a moisturizing shampoo and once with a more clarifying shampoo. Condition and detangle in the shower. My goal is to DC weekly. Then I style my wash and go and sit under a dryer for 50 minutes to dry. I sleep in a buff90BE380B-746A-494D-A074-28823D0F8F35.jpeg990CAB05-7813-450B-803B-68A85FE77D8F.jpeg

CheChe1881

I’m in :)

1. I’m currently a smidge past waist length.

2. My goal length is tailbone length (IDK if that’s the right one, but I know I’m about 10 inches away from goal length if I cut an inch off this weekend) ***the green dotted line in my pic is my goal length ***

3. Regimen, well I’m still developing that lol, but I wash about every other week, deep condition when I wash and do a braid out and ponytail. This month I will be working on getting a solid regimen and will update when I do.

4. Additional: Still trying to figure out my porosity and other details about my hair. Looking to purchase a hair analysis kit. So we’ll see

ETA: A marked shirt to keep track of the inches.
-currently at (WL) on the shirt. goal is (5 ½) on the shirt.

Last edited:

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
Joining for 2021!

Goal: Tailbone length hair (Thick, even, full ends)

Post at least 5 length pictures in 2021 around the following dates:

Starting Picture:
I the photo of the straightened hair in August of 2020. I took the photo of the bantu knots today. I measure my length in the bantu knot sections.

Current Length: Grazing Tailbone
Left side:
-front top bantu knot = 23 inches
-front bottom bantu knot = 22 inches
-back top bantu knot =25.5 inches
-back bottom (nape) bantu knot =23 inches

Goal Length:
I would like to gain 3 inches overall, making my longest length 28.5 inches. If I can get to 30 inches for that top bantu, that would be great. I would need about 4.5 inches retained by the end of the year to reach 30 inches.

Regimen:
-Natural Hair
-Prepoo: Aloe vera gel, olive oil and glycerine
-Wash/Condition: Moved to KeraCare Shampoo and Keracare Restorative Mask
-Favorite Products: Water, SCURL, Castor Oil, Shea Butter, Coffee Oil, Gel, Keratin Protein/Leave In or Neutral Protein Filler
-Methods:
No Comb Routine: I only use my fingers and never combine my hair together.​
Ends Routine: At night I wet the last half of my braids with water, coat with castor or and seal with a Shea butter mix. I place hair in a high bun and put a baggie on top for the night.​
-Detangling Methods: I no longer use a comb or brush on a regular basis. I may 'check' one braid every other month to ensure my hair has not tangled. I finger detangle my har.
-Preferred Styles: I keep my hair in eight (8) braids or eight (8) bantus. I sometimes gather the braids and pull back and put in a baggie bun.

Attachments

• HairLengthCheckAugust30th20201-th.jpg
    HairLengthCheckAugust30th20201-th.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 122
  • Length Check Jan 14th 2021.jpg
    Length Check Jan 14th 2021.jpg
    292.2 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:

snoop

-Methods:
No Comb Routine: I only use my fingers and never combine my hair together.
Ends Routine: At night I wet the last half of my braids with water, coat with castor or and seal with a Shea butter mix. I place hair in a high bun and put a baggie on top for the night.​

What do you mean by "never combine my hair together?

nyeredzi

Welcome @toaster,, @CheChe1881, and @Chicoro ! Thanks for adding pics @snoop

@toaster I see that you wash your hair 3x/week! Do you have to detangle each time?

@CheChe1881 Is the difference between numbers on your shirt 2". So to get from your staring point to 5 on the shirt is 10"?

Y'all, I have become obsessed with doing jumbo senegalese or chunky passion twists. The videos make it look so easy. But I tried so many times and had such a hard time. I think I did ultimately get it, but only with the "water wave" hair or passion twist hair. Basically, I can't do the senegalese twists on the stretched straight type hair :( I have to use hair that already has curl in it and will naturally curl up on itself at the ends. But I tried with so many hair types and so many times on my own head, I noticed I was starting to break little pieces of my own hair off! :eek: So, I ordered a mannequin. it will be coming this weekend. I've bought enough types of hair to open my own beauty salon, so I'm going to be watching videos and practicing on the mannequin. I want to be able to do mine and keep them in for a month. And I want a fun color, like purple or turquoise. My husband hates the crazy colored hair, but I love purple hair. :love2: He always said he loved me for what was in my head, not what was on it, so I'm about to put that to the test! I'm about to hit him with the

passion_twist_pretty.PNG

I start a new job next week, though, so maybe it is good I wasn't able to do it right away; no need to have my new ID badge photo looking crazy. :lol:

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
What do you mean by "never combine my hair together?

Thank you for the interest! That means that if I have eight braids, I never take them all out/ never unloosen all the braids at once and erase the parts and put my hair into one ponytail, anymore. I keep my hair sectioned at ALL times. I used to wash and condition and have to comb, re-part and re-section and re-braid my hair. I no longer do this. The EXCEPTION is when I straighten and trim my hair 1x to 2x per year.

I do put all my braids in one ponytail. But, that is different. The hair stays braided and sectioned. Let me know if this is not clea

toaster

@nyeredzi I usually wash twice a week, but my new haircut is AWFUL and day 3 hair is almost unwearable in my opinion. I do detangle with a wet brush every time I wash (hair loaded with conditioner). Even when I washed twice a week I noticed that if I go from one wash and go to another I have very few tangles. I can cleanse, condition and set my hair in a wash and go in an hour. I then spend 50 minutes under the dryer, but it doesn’t take that much time!

Hopefully by mid year I’m back to twice weekly washes.