• Tailbone length

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • Classic length

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • Whatever I can get this year!

Votes: 23 33.8%

• Total voters

Nunavelli

I didn’t trim all last year but just recently cleaned up my ends with an inch off, haphazardly at that :drunk: those SSK are the devil and it feels atrocious. I know I can never fully get rid of them without an extremely strict regimen.
@MizzBFly an inch! that's not bad for the entire year but that's also thanks to that extremely strict regimen. Believe you me (or is it believ... nvm :confused:) those SSK are really demonic in nature hehe.

@Kiaray8 come through with word. This is honestly what I need to start doing, cutting/trimming on blow dried hair. And when I went to a stylist to straighten my hair a couple months ago, she had to cut more because I wasn't cutting evenly. Chilee I was just snipping any curl that did fall in line. You've encouraged me to wait until end of the year. :heart:

@toaster 8 inches?! Now, I'm not no stylist but ain't no way you needed that much. I honestly feel like they continue cutting because they are envious or they don't know how to cut evenly so they cut one side too short trying to match the other and then báng, 8 inches later. I'm sorry that happened to you, love. I'm sure your hair is thriving!!! and won't need a trim, cut, or a dust until 2024.

I appreciate you, ladies! :grouphug2:

Now, I'll go back to being reclusive hehe.

yamilee21

[*]your goal length *please don't judge me* but my goal length is tailbone length curly, unsctretched, 100% dry including shrinkage and humidity IJN... mmkay... but I'll settle for waist or hip length unstretched. ...
Totally NOT judging you, :lol: , because I have the same fantasy... but I know it’s a fantasy, because tailbone stretched is shoulder-length curly on me... my hair would probably have to be floor-length plus an extra foot for that goal. :grin:

ETA: I posted before reading the rest of the thread; after seeing your picture, I think I probably have more shrinkage than you, even though our hair is somewhat similar.

Last edited:

Nunavelli

Totally NOT judging you, :lol: , because I have the same fantasy... but I know it’s a fantasy, because tailbone stretched is shoulder-length curly on me... my hair would probably have to be floor-length plus an extra foot for that goal. :grin:

ETA: I posted before reading the rest of the thread; after seeing your picture, I think I probably have more shrinkage than you, even though our hair is somewhat similar.
@yamilee21 not an extra foot for good measure. :laugh: I feel that. I'm 5'9" so we are swimming against the tide here forreal. But if 2020 has taught me anything it's that ANYTHING can happen. So we going keep fantasizing about our floor length hair as we ride our unicorns into the wind, mmkay. :charge:

Kiaray8

@MizzBFly an inch! that's not bad for the entire year but that's also thanks to that extremely strict regimen. Believe you me (or is it believ... nvm :confused:) those SSK are really demonic in nature hehe.

@Kiaray8 come through with word. This is honestly what I need to start doing, cutting/trimming on blow dried hair. And when I went to a stylist to straighten my hair a couple months ago, she had to cut more because I wasn't cutting evenly. Chilee I was just snipping any curl that did fall in line. You've encouraged me to wait until end of the year. :heart:

@toaster 8 inches?! Now, I'm not no stylist but ain't no way you needed that much. I honestly feel like they continue cutting because they are envious or they don't know how to cut evenly so they cut one side too short trying to match the other and then báng, 8 inches later. I'm sorry that happened to you, love. I'm sure your hair is thriving!!! and won't need a trim, cut, or a dust until 2024.

I appreciate you, ladies! :grouphug2:

Now, I'll go back to being reclusive hehe.
Lool listen 100%! I did a cut at the second year mark on my hair curly and now my back is shorter than the front and middle because of that fooliness :rolleyes:! Also it depends on lifestyle if you aren’t using heat, colour or bleach I don’t personally feel like you need trims as often but naturally it’s a personal choice and differs. Happy growing love - you will definitely see a lot of growth in a year!

Last edited:

ItsMeLilLucky

Aka Giveme D’Monee
@Nunavelli I got my first trim to get my hair cut into a cute shape. I got my second trim because the stylist said I “needed” to trim every 12 weeks. I knew better, but I went in anyway. Of course that trim turned into cutting 8 inches off of my hair. So now I really know better!

No scissors this year unless my ends look raggedy. And then I’ll trim them myself.
I completely understand if you felt a little bit stabby. That was nowhere near a trim, that was a chop.

unlvgirl77

I'm really looking forward to this challenge! I haven't attempted to grow my hair to classic length in a long time.

Current Length: Tailbone

Goal Length: Classic

Regimen: I am naturally, but I flat iron it every three weeks. Currently, I am using the Revair and I keep my routine basic. I use Mielle leave-in conditioner and deep conditioner.

hair pic 1.27.21.jpg

Nunavelli

Lool listen 100%! I did a cut at the second year mark on my hair curly and now my back is shorter than the front and middle because of that fooliness :rolleyes:! Also it depends on lifestyle if you aren’t using heat, colour or bleach I don’t personally feel like you need trims as often but naturally it’s a personal choice and differs. Happy growing love - you definitely see a lot of growth in a year!
@Kiaray8 I definitely agree! I'm not going to use heat this year, and I (most likely) won't color. I live for jet black hair and it calls me late at night sometimes :think:. Happy growing to you too, love! We're both going to see A LOT of growth this year for our hair ( and in all aspects of the word).

@unlvgirl77 Yasssssss come thru w/ the blunt ends. I just told (@Kiaray8) I am NOT straightening this year but your hair looks amazing! Welcome :yahoo:

nyeredzi

2 weeks into these passion twists and I am loving them. If they could last forever with no problems, I'd wear them for months, lol. But I've already redone about a total of ... maybe 8 of the 40. Some were fine, but some were tangling with the fake hair. I'm sure it didn't help that I didn't really slick down my own hair with gel or whatever as I twisted. So I know I don't have forever. I'll keep them in another week or 2.

CheChe1881

Hey, just sharing another update. I’ve never been this consistent :laugh:

Just decided to finger coil my hair. I love it! It’s so light and airy and I love the style a lot. This may be my go to low-maintenance style.

-Washed hair (MoknowsHair scalp treatment shampoo)
-Deep condition (Shea moisture Shea butter Deep treatment mask)
-Leave in (Oliology coconut oil nutrient rich 10-in-1 leave in)
-Mousse (Jane Carter wrap and roll) <- chose this because I didn’t see alcohol in the ingredients.

Then, I finger coiled. Styling (1hr). Drying (about 2hrs).

If I can remain consistent, I will likely do this hairstyle majority of the time.

Notes: Some parts of my hair barely coiled at all and was just puffy and undefined. So I decided to twist them instead and pin curled the ends with a Bobby pin. With that said, I know I need to look into finally trying the Olaplex system. Hopefully that will help repair the damaged parts of my hair.

Okay, thanks for reading this long post :)

Last edited:

Nunavelli

Just decided to finger coil my hair. I love it! It’s so light and airy and I love the style a lot. This may be my go to low-maintenance style.

-Mousse (Jane Carter wrap and roll) <- chose this because I didn’t see alcohol in the ingredients.

If I can remain consistent, I will likely do this hairstyle majority of the time.

Notes: Some parts of my hair barely coiled at all and was just puffy and undefined. So I decided to twist them instead and pin curled the ends with a Bobby pin. With that said, I know I need to look into finally trying the Olaplex system. Hopefully that will help repair the damaged parts of my hair.

SUPER PRETTY, QUEEN :heart: :infatuated: ! I needed some inspo for wash day! Please update on how long it lasts and how you like the Olaplex system.

ItsMeLilLucky

Aka Giveme D’Monee

This is so cool, it kinda looks like Goddess Locs.

snoop

Looks like you are already there, to me. In the photo, your head seems to be leaning forward, toward your wall in front of you. If what I mentioned is the case, then you are at waist length. Gorgeous dress and what a beautiful, tiny waist you have!

Thank you! It's a tank top, but I love this shade of yellow! I can't wait for summer!!!
I might have been leaning forward. Hopefully in a few months it won't matter which way my head is and that it will be clear regardless.

snoop

You're probably already there. Twists have the hair wrap around, so the hair is not being pulled all the way straight down when in a twist. If you untwisted it, you'd probably be there already. Your shrinkage is amazing, so healthy.

Thank you! At my last length check in November I'd just made it to WL, again. I had a goal to make it there in twists, next. Hopefully by the time I check again it will be more clear where I'm at.

nyeredzi

So I took the passion twists out. I think because I didn't gel or slick my hair before twisting, my hair tangled some with the fake hair. I'm so gel-averse, but I should really embrace it. I hate the way it feels, like goopy goop :lol: but it has its uses. Next time I try, I'll coat with something gel-like. I did get this stuff a little while ago

honey_curlformig.jpg

Not sure what I thought I was going to do with it, lol. Maybe smooth my edges (another thing I don't really do)? It seems to make hair stick together, maybe I'll use that. I also have Shine n Jam, which I tried on my mannequin head, but for some reason I feel so fearful that it will dry my hair out. Someone please tell me my fears are unfounded.

Anyway, even though my strands had tangled a bit with the fake hair, I was able to get them out without too much drama with my Qhemet cocoa tree detangling ghee, oil, and water. I just retwisted my real hair with each section that I took out, so my hair is back in regular twists. Will wash and do a protein treatement this weekend, finger detangle, and retwist.

What should my next passion twist hair color be? I'm thinking mostly 1B with a few blue ones.

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
E96F8665-A278-4E66-BCB9-474072360E06.jpegI just got a trim yesterday, so this is my starting length. I take Hairfinity. Been taking it for about 2 weeks. If it helps I’ll buy more. I only ordered a 3 month supply.

I’m a straight hair natural. If the money reside I’ll continue going to my new Dominican stylist every 2 weeks. I use prismax hair Botox to cut down on frizz.

snoop

After years of trying to find some, I finally got an order of African rubber thead! I have to say that threading with this is harder than threading with weave thread, but practice makes perfect, right?

Over the past 4 months I've changed my routine significantly and I've been cutting out the use of my store-bought products (I only have 2 -- shampoo and conditioner). Instead, I've been making my own herbal shampoos that I use alongside my beloved clay washes. I still use my moisturizer which I make. I've added an herbal spray and a scalp serum which I also make and I've continued to use shea butter, which my hair is starting to like. The shea serves two purposes: it helps me to detangle as I install my styles (I'm a finger comber) and also added protection from drying out with the weave thread.

I thead my twists and the threading helps to protect my ends. I also think that it protects my hair from excessive manipulation-- I don't have to take down hair styles at night and my hair isn't rubbing against my scarf (if that's a thing). A lady that I follow with gorgeous long type 4 hair (4c?) has also started threading, but using rubber thead and she has tried washing with the threads in. This might work for me as well, then I won't have to worry about weekly threading or extending wash weeks because I'm not looking forward to rethreading with the rubber. That said, I know that one I get the hang of it, I'm gonna be laughing.

(I'll post a picture soon.)

ETA: My husband helped me wash my hair yesterday and said that he noticed that my hair feels stronger and it didn't break as much. That's what I've been noticing, less breakage and shedding. I've been using the same routine on the kids (minus the scalp serum). I can see the difference in their hair as well. Especially more defined curls after washing.

I also stopped using conditioner for the first three weeks of the month, then DC on week 4.

I just need to convert hubs. But I think he's game.

Last edited:

Nunavelli

So I took the passion twists out. I think because I didn't gel or slick my hair before twisting, my hair tangled some with the fake hair. I'm so gel-averse, but I should really embrace it. I hate the way it feels, like goopy goop :lol: but it has its uses. Next time I try, I'll coat with something gel-like. I did get this stuff a little while ago

View attachment 469165

Not sure what I thought I was going to do with it, lol. Maybe smooth my edges (another thing I don't really do)? It seems to make hair stick together, maybe I'll use that. I also have Shine n Jam, which I tried on my mannequin head, but for some reason I feel so fearful that it will dry my hair out. Someone please tell me my fears are unfounded.

Anyway, even though my strands had tangled a bit with the fake hair, I was able to get them out without too much drama with my Qhemet cocoa tree detangling ghee, oil, and water. I just retwisted my real hair with each section that I took out, so my hair is back in regular twists. Will wash and do a protein treatement this weekend, finger detangle, and retwist.

What should my next passion twist hair color be? I'm thinking mostly 1B with a few blue ones.
@nyeredzi I've used Shine N Jam. It didn't dry out my hair but it also wasn't a true hold for me. When I sweat, my edges would start to curl up. I do think it's moisturizing (for a gel) and it doesn't give you any flakes so it maybe worth it. And, I vote "YES" to blue on melanin— it's a MOOD. :love:

@Lita Your hair looks beautiful! It looks all ethereal. :kiss3:

@Prettymetty Your hair is sooo thick and full! I live... but it's the eyelashes for me. :heart:

@snoop The scalp serum sounds YUMMY. Well all of it does tbh. hehe. What do you put in your shea butter? Or do you use it as is? :mopup:Last question tho... Can I be adopted? I know I'm grown so I'll only show up for Sunday dinners and wash days. J/k, no but seriously, it's blessing to be able to learn early how to take care of your hair. They will thank you later!

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
View attachment 469275I just got a trim yesterday, so this is my starting length. I take Hairfinity. Been taking it for about 2 weeks. If it helps I’ll buy more. I only ordered a 3 month supply.

I’m a straight hair natural. If the money reside I’ll continue going to my new Dominican stylist every 2 weeks. I use prismax hair Botox to cut down on frizz.
Your hair is very pretty. It tickles me every time I hear any reference to where the money reside!