• Tailbone length

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • Classic length

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • Whatever I can get this year!

Votes: 23 33.8%

• Total voters

CheChe1881

I did some flexi rods for a wedding I went to. Might do this style more often. Loved it before the humidity got to it too bad. Lol

Ipanema

I was thinking about how my ends get raggedy despite treating them well now, and I realized that the ends are actually the hair that was on my whole head a few years ago. Back then, I didn't care about my hair at all. I wore braids and didn't moisturize and only used a conditioning shampoo. Then after the braids, I'd wear my hair out and blow-dried it every day... :nono: The hair was just damaged. I think most of it is gone now.

Anyway, I found a conditioner called Tio Nacho and have been applying it to my ends. They feel so soft.

snoop

So, I've been trying new things with my hair over the last little while and I think that I'm finally settling into a new routine.

1. Newest experiment is finger detangling under running water. I don't use conditioner, just gentle detangling. I'm kind of adopting the water only method, except I cleans weekly. It's only been about 3 weeks, but it's working very well for me.

2. Tallow is my new favourite oil. It looks as dense as shea, but spreads thinner. I'm using it on myself and my kids and our hair is staying softer for much longer and looks a lot shiner and as a result, healthier. I find that it's helping to keep my hair from meshing. I use it as LCOO (first oil being an ayurvedic oil)

3. I've been threading my hair after twisting it. It's working well from keeping my hair from moving around during the week and then meshing.

4. The last two weeks, I've been applying my moisturizer with a LOT of water, like a saw in a no oils/butter salon demo. It takes my hair 2 days to dry (after threading it) but my hair seems to like this as well and helps me to maintain the stretch that I get from detangling in the shower.

When I do a quick length check in the shower, it feels like some of my hairs feel like they're creeping towards my butt dimples (hip length)? But I don't want to actually check until later this year, just in case I'm way off.

I'm still nursing some of the broken areas that I experienced over the past two years. They're not in any one section so I have to be extra kind to my hair.

snoop

I had a minor setback!! Due to being very stressed,had a lot of shedding,but I’m back on track.

Happy Hair Growing!

I'm sorry to hear about your setback, but am glad to know that you're back on track. Can't wait to see more of your updates!

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
So, I've been trying new things with my hair over the last little while and I think that I'm finally settling into a new routine.

1. Newest experiment is finger detangling under running water. I don't use conditioner, just gentle detangling. I'm kind of adopting the water only method, except I cleans weekly. It's only been about 3 weeks, but it's working very well for me.

2. Tallow is my new favourite oil. It looks as dense as shea, but spreads thinner. I'm using it on myself and my kids and our hair is staying softer for much longer and looks a lot shiner and as a result, healthier. I find that it's helping to keep my hair from meshing. I use it as LCOO (first oil being an ayurvedic oil)

3. I've been threading my hair after twisting it. It's working well from keeping my hair from moving around during the week and then meshing.

4. The last two weeks, I've been applying my moisturizer with a LOT of water, like a saw in a no oils/butter salon demo. It takes my hair 2 days to dry (after threading it) but my hair seems to like this as well and helps me to maintain the stretch that I get from detangling in the shower.

When I do a quick length check in the shower, it feels like some of my hairs feel like they're creeping towards my butt dimples (hip length)? But I don't want to actually check until later this year, just in case I'm way off.

I'm still nursing some of the broken areas that I experienced over the past two years. They're not in any one section so I have to be extra kind to my hair.
Lucky Lady! You've got beautiful hair AND a beautiful back, too!

Butt dimples = Although women and men both can have them, Venus Dimples seem to be an attractive trait in women. If you’ve never paid attention to them on yourself or anyone else, perhaps the Venus has inspired you to check them out. You can even find them on Facebook! Do you have Venus dimples? Have you always wondered where they came from?

1630967212576.png

snoop

Lucky Lady! You've got beautiful hair AND a beautiful back, too!

Butt dimples = Although women and men both can have them, Venus Dimples seem to be an attractive trait in women. If you’ve never paid attention to them on yourself or anyone else, perhaps the Venus has inspired you to check them out. You can even find them on Facebook! Do you have Venus dimples? Have you always wondered where they came from?

View attachment 475517

Thank you! I've never thought about it, but it's true...venus dimples are ultra feminine...

snoop

I thought that I would do an update with some pics.

Next month will mark one year without using a traditional shampoo and also not using a conditioner (I did once that I can think of during that time, but I'm not counting it.) I've mostly been using yucca root, sometimes some soapwort root, and sometimes some clay washes. Overall, I think that things went well, and it would have been better if I'd been moisturizing more diligently because I'm starting to notice some keyhole splits. At some point next month, I'll shampoo wash and then follow up with a conditioner, then try DCing monthly with my yucca root routine.

Overall, I think that things went well and towards the end -- finding out that my hair likes finger detangling in the shower -- I feel like my hair is doing much better now. I just need to stop being lazy and moisturize throughout the week. I can't remember if I mentioned it before, but I've given up on shea and replaced it with tallow. The consistency is similar, but it's not as heavy or gummy. I like how it keeps my hair feeling soft and also it helps my strands not to stick together as much. It also adds some sheen to my hair.

LHCF_Sept_1.jpgLHCF_Sept_2.jpg

These two wash day photos are taken exactly 1 week apart. My hair has a lot of coilage/shrinkage to it.

LHCF_Sept_3.jpg

This is probably the first time since around the time of my avatar (4 years ago?) that I've been able to get my hair to hang like this. My hair is so many different lengths, but I'm committed to nursing them back to health and I know my hair will look thicker once I do.

LHCF_Sept_4.jpg

Finger detangling in the shower has also been allowing my texture to come through!

nyeredzi

Next month will mark one year without using a traditional shampoo and also not using a conditioner (I did once that I can think of during that time, but I'm not counting it.) I've mostly been using yucca root, sometimes some soapwort root, and sometimes some clay washes. Overall, I think that things went well, and it would have been better if I'd been moisturizing more diligently because I'm starting to notice some keyhole splits. At some point next month, I'll shampoo wash and then follow up with a conditioner, then try DCing monthly with my yucca root routine.

Overall, I think that things went well and towards the end -- finding out that my hair likes finger detangling in the shower -- I feel like my hair is doing much better now. I just need to stop being lazy and moisturize throughout the week. I can't remember if I mentioned it before, but I've given up on shea and replaced it with tallow. The consistency is similar, but it's not as heavy or gummy. I like how it keeps my hair feeling soft and also it helps my strands not to stick together as much. It also adds some sheen to my hair.

View attachment 476045View attachment 476047

These two wash day photos are taken exactly 1 week apart. My hair has a lot of coilage/shrinkage to it.

View attachment 476049

This is probably the first time since around the time of my avatar (4 years ago?) that I've been able to get my hair to hang like this. My hair is so many different lengths, but I'm committed to nursing them back to health and I know my hair will look thicker once I do.

View attachment 476051

Finger detangling in the shower has also been allowing my texture to come through!
Thank you for this update! It is indeed time for our 3rd quarter update, so thanks for already coming through. Does the tallow have a smell, by the way?

nyeredzi

snoop

Thank you for this update! It is indeed time for our 3rd quarter update, so thanks for already coming through. Does the tallow have a smell, by the way?

No. I believe that the one that I have is deoderized. It has no scent at all.

Chicoro

Fall Check-In: October 5th, 2021

Hair ends are slowly thickening up at new, longer lengths. I'm still convinced the MSM I am taking to combat my melasma is having a positive impact on my hair. My hair has never grown passed my tailbone to hang over my behind. It's doing that now, though. It's only strands of hair, but that is how my hair gains length.

I was thinking about pressing it with an old fashioned hot comb and giving myself a trim, but I changed my mind. I will leave my hair alone until those strands thicken up. I don't want to burn away my newly gained length. IF, I decide to straighten it probably won't be until the Summer of 2022.

I continue to use Keracare products. The longer my hair gets the older it is and the more fragile it is.Thus, at this point in time, slippage is the most important characteristic I need in my shampoos and conditioners. Tension is the enemy of fragile hair and the buddy of breakage. Keracare products are extremely good for providing slip.

I think it is at the point when your hair traditionally starts to break, what I call the 'break point', that product selection and product quality start to become super important and critical. I'm at that point.

My braids are becoming fuller and thick from root to tip, when I stretch them out. See attached photo below, please.

Attachments

• 7209022D-E962-4B05-8243-4AF76867C85C.jpeg
    7209022D-E962-4B05-8243-4AF76867C85C.jpeg
    402.5 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

nyeredzi

Pic from today. I'm back to hip length, just barely. My measurements are about 20.5" root to tip. I'm 5'2" for reference. Waist length is a bit over 18" for me. Hip is about 20" - 21"

20211007_145328.jpg

I really want to get my twists into much nicer parts, get them fully detangled, and convert them to braids. And then put beads on the ends. But I just don't have the time. So it's always just twists in a bun, twists in a bun ...

Mapleoats

I have my hair in faux locs at the moment. I think ill take them out on Monday and start the slow process of washing etc lol. I wasn’t planning on getting anymore protective styles for the year but I suddenly have travel plans that I wasn’t anticipating and I don’t really want to worry about my hair while I’m gone. It’ll only be a few days though. Maybe I’ll just do some mini twists.

Chicoro

On Friday nights, I usually take out my braids and put them into bantu knots. If I am not washing that weekend, then I leave the bantu knots until Monday morning. On Monday morning, I re-braid for the week. I do my hair 1x per week.

The AHA! is that I think the bantu knots are stretching my hair and helping me retain length. I keep my hair stretched for three (3) days then I wet, put in SCURL, dab roots with gel and saturate the ends with Shea butter. These little tiny shifts are creating great lengths for me.

Sarabellam

View attachment 476045View attachment 476047

View attachment 476049

View attachment 476051

Your texture pic reminds me of something my brother uses to joke about back when he was a teenager “I’m getting sea sick from those waves!” I.e. your hair looks gorgeous!

yamilee21

I need @Chicoro and other believers in the “lead hairs” theory to remind me that the hair on the left side of my head just needs a little longer to catch up to the hair on the right side. :lol: If I make two braids parted down the middle the right braid is 2-3 inches longer than the left. :shocked: (I’m not sure why this is happening, but for what it’s worth, the nails on my right hand and right foot are also growing faster than the ones on the left.)

Chicoro

I need @Chicoro and other believers in the “lead hairs” theory to remind me that the hair on the left side of my head just needs a little longer to catch up to the hair on the right side. :lol: If I make two braids parted down the middle the right braid is 2-3 inches longer than the left. :shocked: (I’m not sure why this is happening, but for what it’s worth, the nails on my right hand and right foot are also growing faster than the ones on the left.)
I would say keep the hair that is 2 to 3 inches longer, at that length. Meaning, trim it so it doesn't get any longer. Have that longer section 'wait' until the other side catches up. Anything that is 4 inches or more longer than the bulk of the hair is likely to be broken off and lost. Good luck!

nyeredzi

So I ultimately did put in a little more work and got my hair more properly detangled and into twists with decent parts. And then put beads on it. This was actually last month

beads_on_twists.jpg

I saw that there was that 1 too long one, lol. I've already forgotten what I did about it, whether I tried to cut that bit a little more or just rolled it more around the bead. I'm not good at beading, but I still liked it and the clinking sound it made. But eventually I found it uncomfortable. I left them in for a couple of weeks and took the beads out, with relief. The twists are still in, waiting for me to detangle them again.

Mapleoats

I just measured my hair for the first time. I’m 10” in the back, 11” on the sides, 12.5” in the crown and 14” in the front. I’m hoping to get +3 inches all around by the end of the year. I posted a hair update pic in the APL/BSL/MBL thread but I guess I’ll post it here too.

I’m getting some box braids in a few weeks, I’ll keep those in maybe 6-8 weeks and then measure again. I’m curious about my growth rate but I think I’m a slow grower lol

edit— found this (white shirt) pic from March of last year, so I retook the picture with the same shirt... I guess my hair is growing indeed lol. Maybe I’m not a slow grower... maybe I’m just impatient lol.
Just retook these measurements:
From 11 to 13.5 inches on the sides
From 12.5 to 15 inches on the crown
From 14 to 16 inches in the front
From 10 to 12.5 inches in the back

my Goal was + 3 inches over an 8 month period but I only got about 2.5 :/. Maybe I trimmed too much? Experienced some breakage? Time to start trouble shooting…

Last edited:

snoop

So, I don't think that I have any update pics for my end of year, save for the one that I'm posting now. I think that my hair looks a lot thinner than it did at the beginning of the year. I'm not entirely sure what the cause is/was -- stress maybe? -- but I was experiencing some crazy shedding. I was loosing whole coils like this throughout my hair but a lot each detangling session.

LHCF Shed.jpg

This loss has slowed down considerably over the past couple of months, but it still occurs every once in a while. This picture was taken after this Monday's wash day. I thankfully lost three of these coils this time. Last wash day I don't think that I lost any, maybe one at most. These three coils amounted to the amount of hair loss for an entire head of finger detangling, with a few other single strands (maybe the number of strands that would equal the middle coil.) I've been finger detangling under running water and this is the total amount of hair that I loose each week for my whole head. I'm not sure what it is about the water that is keeping my hair fixed to my scalp, but I am not ready to rock the boat considering when I was finger detangling my hair at the beginning of the year, my usual way, I'd loose what felt like about 10 of the coils plus other hair.

I can't tell if it's breakage or not. The bulbs that I do see are soooooo small. I know nothing about follicle health but I do know that many moons ago when I did my Komaza analysis, my bulbs were small, but not this small.

I'm hoping that if it is stress related, that I will be able to chill out and make a noticeable improvement to my hair by this time next year. Otherewise, I like the look and feel of my hair. My texture is getting coilier/even more shrinkage, but I think that it's because it's holding water a lot better and I've managed to manipulate it so that it is holding it's own definition without products.

classychic1908

So, I don't think that I have any update pics for my end of year, save for the one that I'm posting now. I think that my hair looks a lot thinner than it did at the beginning of the year. I'm not entirely sure what the cause is/was -- stress maybe? -- but I was experiencing some crazy shedding. I was loosing whole coils like this throughout my hair but a lot each detangling session.

View attachment 477515

This loss has slowed down considerably over the past couple of months, but it still occurs every once in a while. This picture was taken after this Monday's wash day. I thankfully lost three of these coils this time. Last wash day I don't think that I lost any, maybe one at most. These three coils amounted to the amount of hair loss for an entire head of finger detangling, with a few other single strands (maybe the number of strands that would equal the middle coil.) I've been finger detangling under running water and this is the total amount of hair that I loose each week for my whole head. I'm not sure what it is about the water that is keeping my hair fixed to my scalp, but I am not ready to rock the boat considering when I was finger detangling my hair at the beginning of the year, my usual way, I'd loose what felt like about 10 of the coils plus other hair.

I can't tell if it's breakage or not. The bulbs that I do see are soooooo small. I know nothing about follicle health but I do know that many moons ago when I did my Komaza analysis, my bulbs were small, but not this small.

I'm hoping that if it is stress related, that I will be able to chill out and make a noticeable improvement to my hair by this time next year. Otherewise, I like the look and feel of my hair. My texture is getting coilier/even more shrinkage, but I think that it's because it's holding water a lot better and I've managed to manipulate it so that it is holding it's own definition without products.
Have you ever tried taking a B vitamin stress supplement? Your post reminded me to start taking mine again, as well as my iron.

nyeredzi

View attachment 477515

I'm sorry to hear you are suffering from stress. :( I've not been feeling great lately myself. Back problems, which I have periodically, but there is also a very damaged spot at my crown. These are really stressful times for a lot of us. :(

I've put my hair back in beads. I used the method from Nappyheadedjojoba using fold over leaf bails instead of rubber bands. I had to find beads with a small enough hole for the bails that I was able to find, but I like the effect much better then my poor attempts at beading with rubber bands. I found the long white and gold beads at a local BSS, and the white pearlescent beads I had from a long ago bead store buy.

20211217_hair_beads_resized.jpg

Closeup of beads:

20211217_hair_beads_resized2.jpg

Royalq

I was thinking about how my ends get raggedy despite treating them well now, and I realized that the ends are actually the hair that was on my whole head a few years ago. Back then, I didn't care about my hair at all. I wore braids and didn't moisturize and only used a conditioning shampoo. Then after the braids, I'd wear my hair out and blow-dried it every day... :nono: The hair was just damaged. I think most of it is gone now.

Anyway, I found a conditioner called Tio Nacho and have been applying it to my ends. They feel so soft.
Thats me. Ive been growing out thin mistreated hair for about 3 years. So it wasnt that my ends were really bad despite my good care, but that the old bad hair is still there. Today i finally cut off the final 3 inches of hair

snoop

Thats me. Ive been growing out thin mistreated hair for about 3 years. So it wasnt that my ends were really bad despite my good care, but that the old bad hair is still there. Today i finally cut off the final 3 inches of hair

Were you doing small trims throughout the three years or did you do mini chops until all of the damage was gone?