2022 2023 2024 Coffee Tea Acv Ayur Onion Rice Chebe Challenge

GGsKin

After shampooing, I oiled my hair with coconut oil and applied some henna this morning. I made my mix last night using Rajasthani henna, water, onion skin tonic, hibiscus tea, hibiscus, lavender and tea tree essential oils. I didn't freeze this mix or add as much hibiscus as I usually do, so I hope it doesn't come out brassy. I'll leave this on for about 6hrs. I'll follow with a mask of hydrated fenugreek + conditioner.

snoop

Yesterday:
Yucca root, leftover herbs from DIY ayurveda infused oil
Goddess Hair Finishing Shine and Moisture Spray
The Inkey LIst Caffeine Stimulating Scalp Treatment

GGsKin

On Saturday I did a henna tx using a batch of Rajasthani henna, mixed with hibiscus tea and beetroot water. After rinsing, on Sunday I followed up with a hydrated fenugreek mask mixed with conditioner. I used the beet + hibiscus water to hydrate the fenugreek so it's a vibrant deep pink and feels softening on the hands. Finished up with a wash and go.

snoop

On Saturday I did a henna tx using a batch of Rajasthani henna, mixed with hibiscus tea and beetroot water. After rinsing, on Sunday I followed up with a hydrated fenugreek mask mixed with conditioner. I used the beet + hibiscus water to hydrate the fenugreek so it's a vibrant deep pink and feels softening on the hands. Finished up with a wash and go.

I once tried hydrating my fenugreek with hibiscus tea and it didn't work. Your mix sounds lovely. I'll have to try, again.

Do you find beet powder to be moisturizing? I've seen it mentioned over the years but haven't made a purchase.

GGsKin

I once tried hydrating my fenugreek with hibiscus tea and it didn't work. Your mix sounds lovely. I'll have to try, again.

Do you find beet powder to be moisturizing? I've seen it mentioned over the years but haven't made a purchase.
I saw the powder in Whole Foods but by then I'd already bought a bunch of fresh beetroot so I used that instead. I wanted to see how beetroot would effect my henna. Ultimately, I did find beetroot to be moisturising on my hair and skin. I grated and then boiled it down using water, with hibiscus tea added. I haven't incorporated beetroot in my hair care/ skin care before, but my hands felt softer after handling the fenugreek mix to strain. While used the beet + hibiscus water warm for my henna, I made sure it was boiling before using it for the fenugreek. I've frozen the left over fenugreek mask and beet water to use at a later date.

Why do you think it didn't work? Did you add too much liquid too soon?

snoop

I saw the powder in Whole Foods but by then I'd already bought a bunch of fresh beetroot so I used that instead. I wanted to see how beetroot would effect my henna. Ultimately, I did find beetroot to be moisturising on my hair and skin. I grated and then boiled it down using water, with hibiscus tea added. I haven't incorporated beetroot in my hair care/ skin care before, but my hands felt softer after handling the fenugreek mix to strain. While used the beet + hibiscus water warm for my henna, I made sure it was boiling before using it for the fenugreek. I've frozen the left over fenugreek mask and beet water to use at a later date.

Why do you think it didn't work? Did you add too much liquid too soon?

I'm not entirely sure, but I think that while my water was "hot" it wasn't boiling. I've hydrated fenugreek before with no issues.

MzSwift

I want to make an oil infusion for hot oil treatments. I’m not looking to make a growth oil.

What are some herbs and Ayurvedic powders that are beneficial for the hair shaft, not just the scalp?
It's hard to say bc many are beneficial for both scalp and hair.

My favorites for conditioning my hair are Brahmi, Amla, Hibiscus and Cassia/Henna.
I like to mix Neem and Shikakai with Amla for a cleanser.
HTH! :)

Here are some of my old notes I gathered from multiple sources when I first started researching the powders.

Quick Notes

Bhringraj - Treats hair loss, premature graying, and also acts as a conditioner
Neem - Is an antibacterial powerhouse, it helps correct scalp issues, as well as promote healthy hair growth
Brahmi - Strengthens hair at the roots, helps relieve dandruff, also purported to thicken hair
Amla - Stimulates hair growth, has wonderful conditioning properties, strengthens hair at the roots
Shikakai - Acts as a natural cleanser, and mild conditioner, whilst promoting hair growth
Aritha [Reetha] - Natural cleansing agent
Methi [Fenugreek] - Prevents hair loss, promotes hair growth, helps strengthen hair shaft, light protein
Hibiscus - Conditions hair, promotes healthy hair growth, prevents hair loss, thickens hair

More detailed notes

Amla Known for having the highest content of vitamin C, Amla is especially good for boosting the immune system. In hair care, Amla is used in oil infused tonics or in powder form to provide added strength to hair roots, to add shine, encourage hair growth and addresses premature greying. In skin care, face masks using amla paste provides nourishment and reduces dullness.

Bhringraj
Bhringraj is an ancient Ayurvedic herb widely known for its effectiveness against hair ailments. In Ayurveda, the herb is used for treating hair loss, improving hair texture, and to stop premature balding and graying and various skin allergies. Alopecia sufferers will also find bhringraj to be beneficial in promoting hair regrowth. Even without suffering any ailments, bhringraj aids in luxurious hair growth. Infusing bhringraj in an oil such as coconut or sesame oil to massage onto the scalp will help with baldness and can cause a regrowth of hair. Use as a paste in combination with amla, brahmi, shikakai, tulsi, and/or neem to see wonderful growth and hair conditioning benefits.

Brahmi
Brahmi is best known traditionally for its rejuvenating properties affecting brain cells and bringing improvements to memory functions. For hair care, Brahmi is best used in combination with amla, bhringraj, shikakai, tulsi &/or neem powders to provide not only stronger roots, but also thicker hair and relief from itchy scalps. Brahmi can be used in a paste, a tea spritz for hair or in an oil infusion.

Cassia
Cassia, also known as neutral henna, is used by many who want the benefits of conditioning that comes from henna, but without dramatic color changes. Cassia will turn gray hairs a pale blondish color, but shows no color difference on darker hair.

Henna
Henna works to stop breakage by strengthening the hair shaft. Henna also works to seal and repair the cuticle which makes for more manageable hair, a plus when it comes to detangling. Although Henna is mainly known as a mega strengthener, Henna has conditioning properties as well, which leaves the hair shiny, soft and fully of body.

Hibiscus Petal
In Ayurveda, Hibiscus (Jaswand) is known as one of the best secrets to beautiful and healthy hair. Hibiscus promotes hair growth, stops hair fall, gives hair a healthy luster with bounce, and delays premature graying. Hibiscus has been a wonderful ingredient in hair treatments that combine other Ayurvedic herbs such as Amla and brahmi. For henna color treatments, hibiscus is used to achieve a burgundy to black cherry color on hair. It is also slightly acidic and helps to aid in a faster henna dye release. As a drinkable tea, hibiscus is a natural body coolant and makes a great refreshing drink. Even better is using hibiscus powders and in a tea rinse for hair!

Kapur Kachri
Kapur Kachri promotes growth by stimulating the roots. It also has antiseptic properties benefiting the scalp.

Kalpi Tone
Kalpi Tone works to strengthen hair at the root and hair shaft, as well as to promote hair growth. It leaves your hair noticeably stronger, softer and full of body.

Neem Powder
Neem is known in Ayurveda for its powerful effectiveness in fighting diseases. Its properties are naturally antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral.

In skin care, a paste made with neem will remove excess oils from the face and clear pimples. It will also aid with scars. When used in a soap or oil, neem can help to relieve dry skin as well as the itchiness and redness from eczema. In a salve or cream, neem's antiseptic properties aid in healing cuts and minor wounds. Using neem to make a tea or face mask will help to treat acne.

In hair care, neem promotes shiny, healthy hair, combats dryness of scalp, and fights scalp infections and dandruff. Undiluted neem oil will help treat head lice.

Orange Peel
The properties in orange peels are primarily antioxidant and astringent, making orange peel powder a natural in helping to prevent pimples and acne as well as prevent premature aging and wrinkling. Using orange peel powder in a face mask helps to reduce shine from excess oil and remove dead skin cells.

Reetha
Reetha, commonly known as soapnuts, is a natural cleanser. Soapnuts have gentle insecticidal properties and are traditionally used for removing lice from the scalp.

Shikakai
Shikakai is an herb known in ayurveda for its cleansing properties and natural mild foaming properties. Literally meaning "fruit for hair", it has been traditionally used for beautiful and healthy hair as a mild shampoo. Shikakai has anti-dandruff properties and is known to aid with detangling of hair. Mixing shikakai with amla promotes hair strengthening and conditioning. This naturally astringent herb will also promote a healthy scalp and stronger roots.

Best for all hair types. However, for hair that is prone to dryness, shikakai is best used sparingly and mixed with an additional herb, such as amla.

Tulsi
Tulsi, or Holy Basil, is known to promote health and for having healing properties. It is a purifying herb and additionally has antiseptic properties. The powder form has a purifying action for the blood. It addresses all sorts of skin diseases when prepared properly, such as ringworm, skin eruptions, scabies, eczema, minor wounds, itching, and scalp irritations and infections. In beauty, tulsi is effective in removing blemishes, treating acne, and for removing dirt deep in pores.

Theresamonet

Thank you @MzSwift. I’m okay with herbs that work on both the scalp and hair shaft. I just don’t have a need for ones that only provide benefit when applied to the scalp (I will already have Njoy’s growth oil on my scalp). And when I look up the properties of the ones I have in my stash, a lot of what it says it does, could only come from scalp absorption or stimulation.

I also have a hard time deciding if something would be most effective in an oil infusion or a tea.

I’m thinking of just using Amla, Brahmi, Tulsi and Fenugreek in olive oil. Maybe also some Burdock Root.

snoop

Thank you @MzSwift. I’m okay with herbs that work on both the scalp and hair shaft. I just don’t have a need for ones that only provide benefit when applied to the scalp (I will already have Njoy’s growth oil on my scalp). And when I look up the properties of the ones I have in my stash, a lot of what it says it does, could only come from scalp absorption or stimulation.

I also have a hard time deciding if something would be most effective in an oil infusion or a tea.

I’m thinking of just using Amla, Brahmi, Tulsi and Fenugreek in olive oil. Maybe also some Burdock Root.

Fenugreek, amla, and hibiscus are three that I used in oil infusions for my hair.

When I make my infusions, I also conscentrate on ones that are going to be good on my scalp. Not necessarily for "growth" but to nourish my scalp and follicles. This may or may not stimulate growth, but I look at it from the point of view that it my growth stronger and healthier hair (but not necessarily faster). So for that reason, I'll also add nettle (to stimulate growth and strengthen hair), bhringraj (boost blood circulation to the scalp), sage (strengthens hair and stimulates growth), horsetail (stimulates growth and strengthen hair).

snoop

Feb 20: kaolin clay + goat's milk powder, triphala, ashwaganda, curry leaf, amla, honey, inositol, clove, green tea powder and amino acids.

Today: Pre-pooed with an herbal tea + ACV. To wash, AVJ (fresh aloe) + honey and a bit of ACV