2022 2023 Growth Aides Challenge

I have a hunch I wanna follow.
I think that nettle + horsetail infused oil is behind any hair growth spurt I've been getting for the past decade.
I just looked pix of my stash from 2016 and my more recent notes. I thought it was Fenugreek causing my nail growth and hair growth but I think it was reintroducing nettle + horsetail into my scalp oil.
If you don’t mind, where do you find the nettle & horsetail oil. They’re both hard to find where I am. Thanks in advance♥️

MzSwift

If you don’t mind, where do you find the nettle & horsetail oil. They’re both hard to find where I am. Thanks in advance♥️

I don't mind at all! :)

Amazon had both herbs and powders whenever I've needed them.
I hope you're able to get them shipped to you!

A long time ago, I also ordered from Mountainroseherbs.com. They used to be mentioned all of the time on here but not much anymore so I'm not sure if they're still reliable.

HTH! :)

I don't mind at all! :)

Amazon had both herbs and powders whenever I've needed them.
I hope you're able to get them shipped to you!

A long time ago, I also ordered from Mountainroseherbs.com. They used to be mentioned all of the time on here but not much anymore so I'm not sure if they're still reliable.

Thanks so very much!!!!

MzSwift

Bought some burdock roots, nettle roots and horsetail leaves to make a potent scalp oil w EVOO. I plan to add it to my Amla and Bhringraj infused almond oil with cayenne, peppermint and lavender EOs. That'll be my new scalp/growth oil for 2024.
Still undecided about whether or not I want to continue with MT on my scalp. I'm thinking about just using it as a protein tx once/mth bc I think it contributes to the appearance of increased fullness in the density of my hair.

2023's mix did me very well. Ayurveda and MT w stimulating EOs helped me to go faster than usual from SL in Jan to 2" from BSB in Oct. I won't be doing another length check until I relax in March and April. My next flat iron and real length check will be in Oct 2024. I'm excited about being back to MBL at that time!

KenyafromCT

Bought some burdock roots, nettle roots and horsetail leaves to make a potent scalp oil w EVOO. I plan to add it to my Amla and Bhringraj infused almond oil with cayenne, peppermint and lavender EOs. That'll be my new scalp/growth oil for 2024.
Still undecided about whether or not I want to continue with MT on my scalp. I'm thinking about just using it as a protein tx once/mth bc I think it contributes to the appearance of increased fullness in the density of my hair.

2023's mix did me very well. Ayurveda and MT w stimulating EOs helped me to go faster than usual from SL in Jan to 2" from BSB in Oct. I won't be doing another length check until I relax in March and April. My next flat iron and real length check will be in Oct 2024. I'm excited about being back to MBL at that time!
I’d love to know how you make your oils. And how many drops of peppermint/lavender drops do you add? And what is MT? Thanks so much.

MzSwift

I’d love to know how you make your oils. And how many drops of peppermint/lavender drops do you add? And what is MT? Thanks so much.
:blush:
First, I think the key to my extra growth this year was applying the oil, then rubbing it in and massaging my scalp for at least 1-2 minutes and then covering my head with a plastic cap afterwards. So I think that someone could get the same results by massaging their head with any stimulating oil for an extended period of time and then covering with a plastic cap (GHE - GreenHouse Effect) for at least a couple of hours.
I covered my plastic cap with a satin scarf if I did it overnight or a satin skull cap and bandana if doing it during the day. I didn't GHE consecutive days. Also, I always took it off to allow my hair to air out before covering it again with anything.

I kept my hair cornrowed 80% of the year, which I believe contributed the most to the retention of my extra growth.

MT = Megatek
It's an equine conditioner that was touted on the board for hair growth back in 2009, when I started my HHJ.
I used it before and found it to be a good protein conditioner for my hair.
And I think it also helped with growth when used on my scalp mixed with my oil.
It has to be this conditioner w the blue writing. The other products don't seem to work.

1702313539957.png

OK about my mixes, I'm very much a KISS kinda girl - I try not to make things difficult. So it's not a real intricate process for me (no double boiling, etc)
I keep my old glass pasta sauce and salsa jars and clean them out very well. I use those for my mixes.

SCALP MIX:

I usually use a 4 oz color applicator bottle
I use a funnel to fill it 95% with my Ayurvedic and/or herbal oils (sometimes 50/50)
1-3 droppers full of Peppermint EO
3 droppers full of Capsicum/Cayenne Pepper oil
10-15 drops of Lavender EO
5 drops of orange oil (for scent)

Some of my mixes this year also included:
4 droppers full of Fenugreek oil
30 drops of clove bud EO

* I do believe it can work w just peppermint and lavender EOs. I don't know that the cayenne has increased my growth as I have used mixes without it this year.

When I mix it w MT, I use a bigger, 8 oz color applicator bottle and fill it halfway with MT and then use the same oil proportions as above, except I always use the full 3 droppers of peppermint EO.

Ayurvedic Powders:
3 tablespoons Bhringraj powder
3 tablespoons Amla powder
Fill with oil (EVOO or Almond)

I don't change the proportions of the powders when I use a smaller jar bc I want to make the oil more potent.
I put 3 tablespoons each of the powders into the bottom of the jar and then fill it with the oil. Then put the top on and shake it up really well and set it aside for at least a week. I shake it up every 2-3 days that week.

Usually, I'm not ready to use it right away bc I still have oil left from my last batch. So I just shake it up once/wk or biweekly to redistribute the particles throughout the oil. And then when I'm ready to pour it, I sift it by spreading a single layer of nylons/stocking

Herbal Mix using flowers/sticks/seeds/leaves:

I fill the jar about 3/4 with the items I want to use and fill with oil. Then I put the top on and shake it and set it aside for at least a week. I shake it up every 2-3 days the first week and then weekly/biweekly after that. When I'm ready to pour, I usually just use a strainer.

ETA: This is the mix I used for my herbal mix this year. It was easy to use and I'm still reusing the herbs. I've decided to purchase my own herbs to make a more specific scalp mixture.

These are the applicator bottles I use to apply to my scalp:

But I'm finding that I like the twist open/close ones like these better bc I don't have to cut the tip (which leaves a jagged edge).

I hope that wasn't too confusing. lol

Last edited:

MzSwift

Started applying my burdock root, nettle root, horsetail leaf and hibiscus petals infused almond oil to my scalp undiluted yesterday.

I strained some of it into a bottle with a few drops of lavender EO for scent. I couldn't wait any longer! :biggrin:
I want to try it without any scalp stimulating oils to see how it works on its own.

I refilled the bottle, shook it up and put it back in storage. It'll marinate for at least a couple of weeks now.