2022 2023 Pre-Poo Challenge

CoiledOrchids

update:
The hot oil treatment went well. I actually two strand twisted my hair for the first time by myself! they don't look too bad. Next time i'll either do them bigger or maybe try mini braids. Gonna revisit the idea of flat twists in the spring. So far i'm loving that i'm actually doing my own hair again and that i'm not getting any headaches from it being too tight. I used to pay $165 for a wash, steam treatment and large two strand twists can yall believe that?! I can do the same style at home for free..and i'm loving saving money

I wanna retain all my length and have a healthy moisturized BAA :afro::afro::afro:

VictoriousBrownFlower

Been using:
A prepoo mix i make of 1 ripe banana, 1 ripe avocado, 1 tbsp of honey, 1 tbsp of jbco, 1 can of unsweetened coconut creme ( don't shake and use the solids not the water) and 1 tbsp of fave dc. blend in nutrabullet til silky and fluffy. store remainder in the freezer. Defrost on counter or in hot water bath b4 use.

Dare~to~Dream

I never used "pre-poos" consistently until this year when I replaced my shampoo and almost all of the new ones I tried were very stripping even if they claimed to be a "moisture" shampoo. I have since found a very moisturizing shampoo for my second wash but I am still doing the pre-poo thing since my first shampoo is more of a cleansing/stripping shampoo. I usually apply the pre-poo I'm using the same day I am going to shampoo and condition but I leave it on for at least 4-6 hours. I really enjoy using these:

Pure Aloe Vera Gel from the leaf blended until frothy and applied to my hair and scalp with a squeeze bottle (I save the leftovers by freezing in an ice cube tray)

Ayurvedic oils (Zenia Amla, Zenia Shikakai, and/or Henna Sooq Ayurvedic Oil) warmed and applied to scalp and hair with a root comb applicator with a light massage for a few seconds

I've tried both the pure aloe gel and oils together as a pre-poo but I prefer to do one or the other before rinsing and shampooing. This past Sunday, I used the oils. I wet my hair first with warm water (I had tested styling products on my hair so I wanted to rinse them out but not shampoo yet). I then applied the warm oils and braided my hair into two plaits on each side of my head. I had to use two plastic caps so the excess oil wouldn't drip. I liked how my hair felt after rinsing and then shampooing. Previously, I only used the oils on dry hair but it works much better on damp hair.

I am going to continue using either the pure aloe gel or the warm ayurvedic oil until the end of year then decide whether or not to continue next year.