2022 - SL/APL Challenge

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
April update

Hair length looks the same, maybe a little thicker. I desperately need a trim. Real life literally has hit me (I was in a minor car accident earlier this month) and my hair is on the back burner now.

Most of the next few months will be in buns and doing treatments to help myself out.

Attachments

• IMG_20220416_151048.jpg
    IMG_20220416_151048.jpg
    777.2 KB · Views: 34

Missjaxon

April update

Hair length looks the same, maybe a little thicker. I desperately need a trim. Real life literally has hit me (I was in a minor car accident earlier this month) and my hair is on the back burner now.

Most of the next few months will be in buns and doing treatments to help myself out.
It's much thicker. Take care of your body first and hair will follow.

faithVA

April update

Sorry to hear about your accident and wishing you a speedy recovery.

Your hair is definitely fuller but it is longer too. It looks like your left side caught up with your right side. So you got extra length on that side. It is also possible that the crown area grew longer to catch up with the lower layers.

faithVA

Finally got around to wash day. I have been wearing sloppy flat twist for a while now.

I've started by rinsing, applying conditioner and then detangling and removing shed hair. I shampooed once with diluted Elucence Moisturizing shampoo and then shampooed again with Madison Reed Color Shampoo.

I air dried, applied the K18 treatment and let it air dry some more. After a few hours, I applied my deep conditioner and put my hair into 4 flat twists.

My plan is to rinse out the conditioner and do a curly set either this afternoon or tomorrow morning and then diffuse.

My growth and retention are coming along. My bang hasn't moved in months but that isn't unusual. It is usually the last to grow. My crown on the sides is finally touching the bottom of my ear. The crown in the back is getting very close to my nape. My nape is touching my collar bone. Hopefully, by year end all of my layers are between neck length and APL.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I stretched a few strands and they reach apl. I think I’m going to need to do a length check and trim during august because I noticed some thinning ends. I hope I can reach full apl by the end of the year. It seems I need to stay on top of my trims.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
My install is holding up well but my scalp is starting to itch more even though I have been washing or using dry shampoo ever 3-4 days. Means it's time to take it down. I don't have plans for the holiday so I'll probably take it down Friday or Saturday and do some treatments.

gforceroy

I haven't checked in for a while. I haven't been feeling the best about my hair so I have gotten lazy too. I will be getting a silk press next week so I will be sure to post the pics again from back in December to now for comparison. Hopefully I don't have to get all of my progress trimmed off

faithVA

I've been traveling for 2 weeks. I decided to wear my hair curly because I didn't know what my twist looked like since I hadn't done them in a while. Fortunately, I got my maintenance cut before I went because even as my curly set got old and lost definition, it maintained its shape and was still wearable. I ended up resetting my hair 4 times on vacation with the last one being a two strand twist install because our flight got canceled and I didn't know how that was going to work out. With the long traveling time I was glad I put in the two strand twist. I have been too tired since I got home to do much else.

My twists have much more hang time since the last time I did them so I plan to stay in 2 strands for the rest of the summer. It takes me about 90 minutes to install so it isn't that much more time than a curly set and I can keep twist in for 2 weeks with just a quick water rinse after the first week and then wear it out for a few days at the end.

I also get a better feel for my ends when twisting my hair. I can feel the knots on the ends so I will clip them off as my hair dries out because they stick out a lot more when my hair starts to dehydrate.

I have a few wishes but overall, I'm pleased with the progress of my hair. It is healthier than it has ever been and my regimen is much simpler. Now it is just a matter of patience before it is long enough for a puff or bun or my quick 2 flat twists.

How is everyone else doing?

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
I took out my braids about 2 weeks ago and wore a bun.

Yesterday, I installed some long crochet hair. Currently sitting at a baseball game in 95+ heat and this is not the move. I'm going to cut it short tomorrow.

faithVA

I've been wearing my hair in 2 flat twist since my blow dry earlier this month. Considering my right side is a bit shorter than the left side, they held up fairly well. I did take them down once and add a moisturizing cream. Yesterday, I took them out, wet my hair and wore a puff.

Today, I shampooed, conditioned and applied leave-in. I have my hair in bantu knots right now. I plan to put in 2 strands this evening but no later this tomorrow evening. I need to do it immediately after dinner while I still feel like it.

faithVA

I'm super hair lazy right now and work is busy so haven't been doing much. My puff is coming along which is great. So on super hair lazy days when I need to go out, a puff comes to the rescue.

Not much else going on here. My maintenance cut has been rescheduled to the end of September. For now I will just rotate between 2 strands, puffs, wash and goes, and non-styled days :lol:

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
I have not been doing much to my hair. Still currently debating if I'm going to do braids extensions this weekend. I may be able to sneak a length check for this month in.

I hope i can reach APL by the end of the year. I have been aggressively baggying the ends in order to hold out on trimming my hair around the end of the year. I think I might be able to do it!!

I've been considering this as well. As much as I've been trying to fight it, I've come to the realization that my hair thrives when it can get washed frequently and put in a bun or low manipulation style. Yet I've been trying to stretch wash days out to once every 10-14 days and have protective styles last for 2-3 months.

After this set of braids, I'll be cowashing and bunning with the baggy for the rest of the year.

faithVA

I'm not doing much with my hair either. There are days I wash it and put on a turban. I don't even twist or braid it :ohwell: Then there are days I put in flat twists or wear a puff. Every now and then I put in 2 strand twists.

I will probably be more motivated to put in 2 strand twists once the weather cools and I'm not cycling outdoors as much.

I get my hair done at the end of September and will do a pull test and take pictures then. Summer is for taking it easy :yep:

Napp

Ms. Nobody
I have not been doing much to my hair. Still currently debating if I'm going to do braids extensions this weekend. I may be able to sneak a length check for this month in.

I've been considering this as well. As much as I've been trying to fight it, I've come to the realization that my hair thrives when it can get washed frequently and put in a bun or low manipulation style. Yet I've been trying to stretch wash days out to once every 10-14 days and have protective styles last for 2-3 months.

After this set of braids, I'll be cowashing and bunning with the baggy for the rest of the year.
We can be baggy buddies! Lol I started stretching wash days to every 14 days and I like that I’m not messing with my hair as much when it’s in the bun. Adding different drawstring ponytails on top of my bun gives me enough variety to keep doing this hair style

and I too can’t wait to meet @ckisland and @sunnieb in BSL land too lol:giggle:

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
My hair was air dried in chunky braids and I did a warm flat iron. The ends look thick and even, I love it. Definitely going to do the bun any baggy thing to keep it up.

Attachments

• 20220811_073810~2.jpg
    20220811_073810~2.jpg
    655 KB · Views: 15