27 Underrated Hair Products That Actually Work

naturalmanenyc

http://www.buzzfeed.com/augustafalletta/best-hair-care-products?#.flg88K653D

We recently asked the members of BuzzFeed Community to share their favorite underrated hair products that actually work. Find your new go-to below!

1. DevaCurl Ultra Curl Defining Gel

instagram.com
“I have naturally wavy hair, but my waves were never defined, so I ended up always straightening my hair. After using this product I realized I actually have CURLY hair. I haven’t straightened my hair since using it. I have people ask all the time if I using a curling iron, even though I just let it air dry after applying the gel. It’s the product that let me embrace my natural hair. I couldn’t live without it!!!” — carolyns473a43d9f

Get it here for $19.95.

2. Not Your Mother’s Sea Salt Spray
instagram.com
“It’s perfect for loose, beachy waves, and calms frizz and holds similar to a hairspray without the crunch! It’s also super cheap and found at most drugstores or Target.” –emilym4c528c158

Get it here for $4.79.

3. Carol’s Daughter Monoi Hair Mask
instagram.com
“When my hair was horribly damaged from over-bleaching, it was the only thing that helped my hair feel smooth. Pricey, but worth it if your hair is very dry or damaged. Smells AMAZING too.” — Saria Yaya Sweeney, Facebook

Get it here for $32.

4. Big Sexy Hair Powder Play Texture Powder
instagram.com
“It gives so much volume when used at the roots but also keep curls in my very silky hair that doesn’t normally hold curls well.” — Kearstin Vander Mel, Facebook

Get it here for $8.69.

5. Oribe Dry Texturizing Spray
instagram.com
“It’s supermodel hair in a can.” — Tyler Jung, Facebook

Get it here for $42.

6. Tresemmé Perfectly Undone Conditioner
instagram.com
“It’s a winter staple for me, and I recently discovered it was far better than anything I’ve ever tried and it has great ingredients. It’s super moisturizing without being heavy.” — elizabethk414a0b385

Get it here for $5.79.

7. Lush Curly Wurly Shampoo
instagram.com
“Curly Wurly from Lush is amazing for bleached hair. The coconut and avocado in there are mega moisturizing and makes my thick, tangly wavy hair really manageable.” — libbyh47c3bf161

Get it here for $26.95.

8. The Wet Brush
instagram.com
“I have incredibly fine, thin hair that gets in one huge knot after I step out of the shower. The Wet Brush has totally saved my hair from breaking when trying to brush out my hair!” — tarad19

Get it here for $8.99.

9. Bumble & Bumble Styling Creme
instagram.com
“I have a pixie cut and it gives me enough volume and hold without making my hair stiff.” — kenzie93

Get it here for $26.

10. Redken Pillow Proof Blow Dry Express Dry Shampoo
instagram.com
“I’m madly in love with this. It makes my hair so soft and shiny and it doesn’t leave a ton of residue on my dark hair.” — Brittney Beck, Facebook

Get it here for $10.

11. Mixed Chicks Leave-In Conditioner
instagram.com
“Use Mixed Chicks leave-in conditioner on curly hair. It really works nicely, and smells really good!” — ericasimonebarnett

Get it here for $19.99.

12. Ogx Biotin and Collagen Shampoo
instagram.com
“My hair was so dead after dyeing it tons of times that it was getting really thin. I tried and it saved my hair.” — mollym4b18bf5f7

Get it here for $5.74.

13. It’s a 10 Miracle Leave-In Product
instagram.com
“It softens my hair and tames frizz. It’s amazing.” — alisonh24

Get it here for $13.59.

14. Night.Rider from Kevin Murphy
@aj.theebarber / Via instagram.com
“A pomade that gives a strong, flexible hold that sets to a firm matte finish. Smells awesome and is the only product I’ve used for a few years now.” — seansimpson

Get it here for $33.50.

15. Paul Mitchell Shampoo One
instagram.com
“While Paul Mitchell is a fairly expensive brand (in my eyes), it’s so, so, so worth it. As someone with super-thick, stubborn hair, I’ve found it’s the only shampoo that allows me to skip a day of washing.” — jfuselier

Get it here for $13.50.

16. Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie
instagram.com
“Oh my god, this is bae. Now all I need is a better hair mask. Big bang for your buck. Also, you can find it in grocery stores and drugstores basically everywhere. I love it sooo much.” — e4162fc76c

Get it here for $11.99.

17. L’Oréal Blow Dry It Quick Dry Primer Spray
instagram.com
“A few sprays of this stuff makes frizz completely go away and it keeps that nice flippable, run-your-hand-through-your-hair-and-it-won’t-just-stay-there texture that you can’t really get with most anti-frizz products because they’re too heavy. Life changing.” — crutherfurd

Get it here for $4.99.

18. All Aveda Products
instagram.com
“Their products work wonders for people with a sensitive scalp like myself. I tried a bunch of other products and Aveda is the only one that didn’t irritate.” — hanpuff08

Get them here.

19. Framesi Color Lover Shampoo and Conditioner
instagram.com
“Framesi is a brand of salon hair color, and its shampoo and conditioner are a godsend. Using it, I’ve had minimal fading on my red hair (red typically fades faster than any color). It’s formulated with quinoa and free from sulfates and parabens, and it’s vegan (I’m not, but I know it matters to some people). I’ve been able to go a couple months between getting my hair colored.” — laurens19

Get it here for $19.90.

20. Drybar Gold Mine Leave-In Conditioner
instagram.com
“GUYS, TRUST ME.” — madibrookew

Get it here for $29.

21. Eva NYC Therapy Session Hair Mask
instagram.com
“I use it once a week and it makes my hair so light and soft I don’t even want to style it. Before I would use Chi Silk Infusion, which works great, but too much can make your hair look and feel greasy. The Eva NYC mask doesn’t — no matter how much you use, even though you only need about a dime-sized amount for medium-length hair. Plus, it smells amazing.” — amyg47

Get it here for $11.99.

22. Mane ‘n Tail Shampoo
instagram.com
“I have super-thick and long hair. This weird horse shampoo called Mane ‘n Tail is GREAT. It doesn’t smell funky, and it strengthens and grows your hair. I can always tell the difference when I use a different shampoo too. It keeps my hair from being crazy some days; it’s consistent and healthy. Horse shampoo for the win.” —marykinnas

Get it here for $7.29.

23. Chagrin Valley Shampoo Bars
instagram.com
“They are vegan, inexpensive, last forever, super moisturizing and smell great. Plus the company sends samples as a thank-you for shopping. I have a dry, itchy sensitive scalp and this is a godsend.” — christinedonovanm

Get them here for $8.25 each.

24. Yarok Feed Your Curls Defining Creme
instagram.com
“I have crazy ginger curly/wavy/whatever-the-****-it-decides-to-do-on-that-particular-day hair and I loooove this.” — m4fbdbace5

Get it here for $36.80.

25. Curls Creme Brule
instagram.com
“It’s amazing for wavy/curly hair. It makes your hair super soft without weighing it down or making it crunchy.” — dianaswanwickr

Get it here for $10.99.

26. Batiste Volumizing Dry Shampoo
instagram.com
“For the ladies with fine hair: It works super quickly and you can use the colored spray to fill in your roots if you’re in need of a quick fix.” — Natalie

Get it here for $7.99.

27. Kiehl’s Olive Fruit Oil Hair Pak
instagram.com
“It’s the best conditioning treatment. I have combination skin and hair, and it’s the only thing I’ve found that conditions without turning my hair into an oil slick by midday.” — k4c5f58ee7

Get it here for $25.

Submissions have been edited for length and clarity.

crlsweetie912

The It's a 10 Leave-in is the truth. I usually just get the sample sized because the full sized price makes me cringe.

I also like the Eva NYC mask. It's always sold out at Ulta but I was able to get a few samples. Make hair soft and super easy to detangle.
YES! I need to get some more. I think that's why I have been experiencing some breakage. Love this stuff!!!!

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I want to know this too. I put it in my amazon cart before because of one of the reviews on here but I'm not sure...

I purchased the DC based on LHCF and Amazon reviews. Ordered from Amazon. I'll try to remember to review it in the Hits and Misses thread once I use it.