28 weeks into my transition and happy!

MummysGirl

Hey :)

I plan to transition for AT LEAST a year i.e. 52 weeks. I'm currently 28 weeks (6.5months) post :yay::yay::yay::yay:. This might be a small amount of time compared to people who are over a year post but this is confirmation to me that I am DEFINITELY transitioning to natural hair and I am even more excited now.

Cowashing is a hairsaver for me - I love it! I cowash 4 times a week. I DC 2ce a week, moisturise with my homemade moisturising spritz (con, evoo, glycerin and water) and seal with shea butter mix (shea butter, coconut oil, castor oil and aloe vera gel). I've ony had direct heat applied to my hair once this year and this was only to my hairline for an updo in May (after a rollerset). I love braidouts and twitsouts but I only do them 1ce a week... for the rest of the week, I just pin up my hair and use a headband.

I'm thankful for this forum, the transitioner's support thread and the summer cowashing challenge thread.

My transition folder in my fotki is here: http://public.fotki.com/MummysGirl/transition-to-natural/

Last night, I applied Aphogee 2 min reconstructor to dry hair for less than 10 minutes, cowashed with herbal essences hello hydration, applied leave in: giovanni direct, aidried to 80%, applied lustrasilk shea butter cholestrol to each section before twisting and kept them in overnight. I took these pictures with my camera phone (couldn't find my camera!) this morning:

Twistout:

Happy Hair Growing Ladies, have a lovely weekend :)

Last edited:

Shay72

Natural, 4A
Your hair is beautiful! I love twistouts myself. I usually do individual twists but that takes a bit. I think I will try the flat twists next time. I just ended a 6 month stretch and twistouts were a lifesaver.

Angelicus

Thank you for sharing. Your hair is so beautiful. I really wish I knew how to cornrow and flat twist my hair.

MummysGirl

Your hair is beautiful! I love twistouts myself. I usually do individual twists but that takes a bit. I think I will try the flat twists next time. I just ended a 6 month stretch and twistouts were a lifesaver.
Thank you :) I agree, twistouts (and braidouts) are good for stretches and transitions. I've always done cornrows for my braidouts and loved the results. So once I decided to try out a twistout, I knew I'd try flat twists and I loved the results.

Thank you for sharing. Your hair is so beautiful. I really wish I knew how to cornrow and flat twist my hair.
Thank you :) I recently saw a flat twist tutorial on youtube (it was posted in someone's thread on this forum) and the lady made it look so easy. Keep trying :)

pmichael52172

I bookmarked your fotki a while back but hadn't visited lately. Thanks for the update. 6.5 months is a huge deal girl! You are really transitioning well. I'm knocking on wood as I say this but I've had success too and have not experienced any of the dreaded demarcation breakage that many talk about.

I also see that all techniques don't work for the same head. My hair thrives better from less manipulation so I stopped co-washing and just regular wash, deeep condition every two weeks. I also hot comb my roots and edges and spiral curl the rest. That lasts for two weeks!

I'm so proud of you and happy for you too. Off to view your fotki and please keep us updated.

ps. I may pm you about your twistouts if I need help. These are some of the best I've seen. My hair is only neck length but I'm ready to start practicing for when I get tired of spiral curls.

MummysGirl

Thank you so much :) Nice to see a fellow transitioner who is a few weeks ahead of me and it's going well for you :)

It's good you've found a routine that works for your hair, I am really impressed that spiral sets last 2 weeks!

I probably wouldn't be cowashing 4 times a week if it weren't for my workout routine. I workout at least 5 days a week and I sweat ridiculously on my scalp. Last year I went a couple of weeks without washing and this resulted in a major setback which I eventually realised was caused by my hair drying out from all the sweat over those weeks and overprocessing from a previous relaxer :-( I should rinse my hair everyday I workout but I think that will be even more maniuplation that I am not ready for.

I think neck length is a good length for twistouts, you do spiral sets already and you will probably have similar length with twistouts.
PM me whenever you want, I am always glad to help :)

Thanks so much for your comment :)

I bookmarked your fotki a while back but hadn't visited lately. Thanks for the update. 6.5 months is a huge deal girl! You are really transitioning well. I'm knocking on wood as I say this but I've had success too and have not experienced any of the dreaded demarcation breakage that many talk about.

I also see that all techniques don't work for the same head. My hair thrives better from less manipulation so I stopped co-washing and just regular wash, deeep condition every two weeks. I also hot comb my roots and edges and spiral curl the rest. That lasts for two weeks!

I'm so proud of you and happy for you too. Off to view your fotki and please keep us updated.

ps. I may pm you about your twistouts if I need help. These are some of the best I've seen. My hair is only neck length but I'm ready to start practicing for when I get tired of spiral curls.

Chameleonchick

Congrats on getting to 6.5 months. I am almost 7 months post myself and I think I am transitioning also. I want to make it to a year since it has never been done by me before. That twist out is hot!

pmichael52172

Okay, MG, how in the WORLD do you get your rollersets so smooth????!!! What products and tools do you use? Please share.

I need to stick to my workouts and I don't or at least they are not as intense as they should be. If I was doing it like I should I would need to wash more often too!

MummysGirl

:)
Rollersets:
I cowash or shampoo wash, and DC (ORS Replenishing con mixed with oils). Leave in - Nexxuss Humectress (because it is super moisturising).
I wet my hair continuously as I rollerset, especially my ends. I use endpapers 99% of the time, I say 99% cos the last rollerset I did, I didn't (oops) and it still turned out nice :)
I make sure I comb each section before I put in the rollers with a fine tooth, rattail comb (I think this is the main reason why my rollersets are smooth). I use the red or pink magnetic rollers and use the mohawk method like shown in this picture:

I sleep in my rollers if the set is done at night, if not I just stay home all day till my hair airdries completely.

I don't use setting lotion, I might try it again (only used it once about 2 years ago) when next I rollerset, I will really dilute it though.

I'm sure you'll increase your exercise intensity if you want to :) If only you knew me IRL, I dragged a friend of mine to a couple of classes at my gym and now she ican't get enough :lachen:

Okay, MG, how in the WORLD do you get your rollersets so smooth????!!! What products and tools do you use? Please share.

I need to stick to my workouts and I don't or at least they are not as intense as they should be. If I was doing it like I should I would need to wash more often too!

MummysGirl

Keep trying :) Search on youtube for twisout tutorials... there was a thread on here recently with a good video.
Thanks!
I love your twistout. I can never seem to get them right.

I always wear a headband, maybe I'll try it your way (love how yours looks in your siggy!)
Thanks.
I love your twistouts. I'm going to wear a headband the next time I do a twistout.

Congrats on getting to 6.5 months. I am almost 7 months post myself and I think I am transitioning also. I want to make it to a year since it has never been done by me before. That twist out is hot!
I'm sure you can make it to a year :) Good luck and HHG :)
Thank you

*fabulosity*

Nice!! See this is why I need to learn how to cornrow/corntwist for real... that looks sooooo pretty!

And team no BC representing!! Your hair is beautiful!!

Ltown

Greyland
MG another beautiful twistout your ends blend it so well you would never know you are 28 wks post. I still have not master twist/braidout tried two strand, braids, cornrows nothing my ends are always stringy.

Itllbeokbaby

your twists are perfect, and beautiful.

looking at the first picture, i know you are my hair twin, (in my crown only)....i'd know those curls anywhere lol.

countrychickd

Your hair looks gorgeous lady! I'm happy to be 28 weeks post as well. I'm definitely going to try to make it to a year post. I'm certain that I'm going natural though. Either way about it, I'm definitely going natural.

As for that twist out.......GORGEOUS! I just love it!

ycj

I love the thickness of your hair!!! It is heavenly!!!!!! I know you can definitely stretch it to 52 wks, it's a piece of cake for you girl!!!! I am so happy for you and proud of your accomplishments!:yep:

caramelty

I am 29 weeks and still haven't found anything to do with my hair but braids. I plan on doing a sew in this weekend. I got my hair braided 2 weeks ago and it looks as if I have had them for 2 months so they must go. Good luck your twist out looks great.

MummysGirl

Thank you :)
I think you should try your braidouts/twistouts with your ends in rollers, that'll help blend your ends better.
MG another beautiful twistout your ends blend it so well you would never know you are 28 wks post. I still have not master twist/braidout tried two strand, braids, cornrows nothing my ends are always stringy.

Really? It's nice to find a partial hair twin, I found a hair twin but she left fotki and another one stopped transitioning and got a touch up :-(
your twists are perfect, and beautiful.

looking at the first picture, i know you are my hair twin, (in my crown only)....i'd know those curls anywhere lol.

Thank you so much :)
That twistout is pure awesomeness.

I detangle my hair with my fingers under the shower, while rinsing out conditioner. After applying my leave in conditioner, I detangle my damp hair with a wide tooth comb.
Your twist out is beautiful. I just started doing braid outs. How do you detangle your hair?