2nd year transitioners and beyond check in!

Serious Shining Spray

• A lot less than a year

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Around the 1 year mark

• About 1 and a half years

• 2 years

• Over 2 years

• Total voters

Chimma

If you are on your second year of transitioning or almost starting your second year, please check in! Share what is working for you
, what is not working for you
, when you plan to cut
, and what regimens/tips/help you think would help others out

Let's all help each other get through this last stretch.

NAY007

Hmmm, I just tried to vote but it doesn't work yet.
I've been transitioning for a little over a year now. I'm doing good. Sometimes my hair gets really tangled but that's it. My goal is to reach waist length with the two textures and then cut the relaxed part off inch by inch whenever I go for a trim.
I always condition a LOT and moisturize on the days I don't wash my hair. I started paying extra extra extra attention to my ends.
I stay away from heat as much as possible and wear my hair in protective styles.

Toni

[ QUOTE ]
auntybe said:
I'll be starting year 3 in Feb.

[/ QUOTE ]

Auntbye what are you currently using to keep your hair moist. I'm six months into transitioning and can use all the ideas I can get

kerplunky

Wow.
Y'all ladies get much respect. I'm five months in and I can barely stand it. I initially planned to go for about a year but at this point I don't know if I'll even make it to 7 months before I snippety snip. Good luck on your continued transitions!

shelli4018

[ QUOTE ]
kerplunky said:
Wow.
Y'all ladies get much respect. I'm five months in and I can barely stand it. I initially planned to go for about a year but at this point I don't know if I'll even make it to 7 months before I snippety snip. Good luck on your continued transitions!

[/ QUOTE ]

ITA. I'm nearing the 5 month mark and the two textures are driving me up a wall. I planned to transition for a year. But if I make that long I'll be surprised.

inthestars

I'm at 15 months and my hair is still very damaged. I had a hair analysis that said my hair cuticles are damaged and that my hair is lacking in amino acids.

Chimma

I've been transitioning for just over a year.
Braids are working for me!
I plan to cut at the end of this year. I've changed my chop date several times, but I think 2 years is long enough. Even braids aren't that healthy to wear.

What helps me out:
Braids!
(Out of braids help)
wide-toothed combs
combing damp hair very slowly
shea butter, olive oil
Deep Condioning
I liked Sta-Sof-Fro, but I only tried it out for like 2 weeks so I can't really comment. parting hair (for twists and braids) is harder than the actual process and is hard to get neat.

what i've learned:
damn, presses are harsh! i had never used a hot comb in my life before i started going natural, and i don't think i really want to use one again.
i'll have to experiment more with flat irons.
really hard to get a completely unpoofy bun

Wow, auntyb. How did you go that long?

Irresistible

[ QUOTE ]
inthestars said:
I'm at 15 months and my hair is still very damaged. I had a hair analysis that said my hair cuticles are damaged and that my hair is lacking in amino acids.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would taking Amino Acids help this? i would think it would

Chimma

Is there anyone who transitioned or plans to transition for 2 years or more? If so, why? Is that something you regret or are glad of?

ms_kenesha

[ QUOTE ]
mermaid said:
7 years this year!! woo-hoo!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I would think that after 7 yrs. you'd be natural all ready. How much longer until all your hair is natural?

inthepink

I am planning on transitioning for 2 years or more. I want my natural hair to be at least at bra strap straightened before I cut or somewhere around there. So, I'm thinking 3 years. At some point, I do plan to gradually start cutting...probably once my hair grows to mid back or waist length. I haven't decided yet. I am just living with my transitioning hair as if it were just hair so that I don't think about it too much.

What works for me right now is keeping my hair moisturized, using wide tooth combs, braidouts, buns, and keeping my hair clean with conditioner washes. I do need to incorporate a reconstructor into my regimen though.

Blacktresses

I am six months into transitioning. My hair is seriously broken off
and I had been trying to grow it out for five years and almost succeeded. It broke off during transitioning ( didn't know what I was doing ) ALL SIX INCHES
. I didn't cut it at all. The longer pieces cover most of the shorter parts. Anyway.... my hair is so much more dense, thick and curly...I tell ya I can't wait to hit my one year mark
I just took a pic of my hair in January of this year ( just got my digital camera ). So from now until August I will document my growth!!!

inthestars

What type of oils or vitamins are you using/taking for your hair and over all health