3 years till wedding

afrodyt2000

So I have 3 years almost exactly till my wedding, God willing. I need to grow out my hair, but nothing works. I stopped doing my hair myself for a while because it looks really bad when I wash and air dry, it is always frizzy. But, I am broke now (in Law School) so I might need to go back to washing my own and going to the Dom salon for perms. I am about to use baby shampoo and stick with dominicam conditioners and hair mayonnaise. I take biotin, I was taking other hair vites but didn't notice any difference, at least with the biotin i noticed that when I stopped, my nails started breaking again, so I started back. I don't have thick hair and the front is way longer like 2 or 3 times as long as the back. By the time you get to the crown of my head it is like looking at another person's hair. How can I grow my hair out, I have never been big on cutting and the last time I had a trim I saw the lady cut a good 1.5 inches of my hair in some spots, that made me not want to trim anymore because even when I do it regularly (6 to 8 weeks) they still cut 1/2 inch or more. If my hair does grow, I'll never see it. Right now it is at my shoulder. I really don't want to have to weave my updo cuz I hate weaves. Someone Help me, help me please!!!!

Boadicea

If you don't want to do your hair yourself, you can get a wash and set at a salon once a week (or every two weeks) and just keep your hair in a protective style or ponytail.

Your ends DO NOT need a trim every 6 to 8 weeks. Trim your ends ONLY IF there is damage and/or you want an even tapered look. Otherwise, you are cutting away your growth. Hair is not a rose bush, so trimming will not increase length if you do it more often.

Moisturizing the hair is one of the most beneficial things you can do to maintain and retain length. Find a good moisturizer not only for your hair, but your scalp. It will take some experimenting to find out how often your particular hair needs to be moisturized. Try every 3 days, to start. Moisturize your scalp at least once a week.

Speaking of the scalp, daily scalp massages work wonders for the hair. This increases circulation and feeds and nourishes the hair. Work the pads of your fingers (never use your nails) in small circles (clockwise, and then counter-clockwise or vice versa) around your scalp. Then gently tug on your hair in small sections.

Another way to stimulate the scalp is weekly brushings. Find a gentle brush (100% boar bristle, or a paddle brush are good starts). Make sure that your hair is completely detangled first. Sit on the edge of the bathtub and place your head between your knees. Comb your hair over your face with a wide tooth comb. Begin brushing your hair, and follow up with your other hand (the one not holding the brush) to smooth down the hair after each stroke. This will also prevent static in the hair.

Pre-shampoo treatments and hot oil treatments deliver nourishment and moisture and help to strengthen the hair and add shine and body This can also help you retain length. Try extra virgin olive oil, jojoba, or meadowfoam. Apply it to your hair until it's saturated, and then put on a shower cap. Leave it on from 10-45 minutes and then shampoo your hair.

When shampooing, the right shampoo makes all the difference. Also, shampooing your hair correctly doesn't hurt. Never pile your hair on top of your head. Always detangle your hair first and leave your hair down. Massage the shampoo into your scalp and rinse. This will decrease tangles and breakage.

Deep conditioners can also help reduce or prevent breakage and damage. You can leave them on for the time stated on the bottle, or even longer. You can also mix these with a pre-shampoo or hot oil treatment for more moisture and strength.

For styles, protective styles (styles in which the ends of your hair are hidden from view) can allow you to retain more length in the long run. Many ladies have used protective styles to grow their hair to waist length in as little as 2 years. While not for everyone, you can experiment and see if protective styles are right for you.

Take hair measurements and document how long your hair is now. Keep your hair moisturized and in a protective style for two months and then measure your hair again. For the next two months, wear your hair down and compare the lengths. This can help you decide if protective styles are something you should seriously look in to or if they don't benefit you at all.

Using less heat also allows your hair to remain healthy and long. This also prevents damage to the hair.

nekee

3 years ? are u sure you don't mean 3 months ?

why don't u just do straight back cornrows like alicia keyes, that is a great protective style

afrodyt2000

no I did mean 3 years as in 2007. Most of the stuff posted I have tried. I used to wash my hair myself and air dry and only use heat when I went to the salon for my deep conditioner after having a perm. I really think I am just genetically challenged. My half-sister is six and her hair is down to her mid back already and really thick. I wish I had her hair but I don't. I like to think that I got the worst combo of our black indian (west indian) mix. I got short from the black side and thin from the indian side. Whereas she got thick from the black side and long from the indian side. I put oil in my hair and scalp everytime I comb it and usually when I wrap it at night. Thanks for the advice. I used protective styles before but I noticed that my hair usually looks thinner when I wear it up but it may be better for my ends. They always look raggedy no matter if I get them trimmed or not after a few days they look crinkly and dry and messed up. I have read three or four hair boks also, so I know about the advice they give, it just doesn't work for me. I don't blow dry because my hair looks like a frizzy mess when I do. Any way, thanks for the advice though I'm not too hopeful I will see any changes.

afrodyt2000

Ok, I just took measurements. The front is about 10.5-11 inches. The middle is 11.5-12. The back right is about 5.5 and the left right is 6.2-6.5. I had my last retouch March 31st. So do you see the problem with my hair growth. The front grows fast or retains more growth than the back. I could never wear cornrows I don't think they look right on me. I think Alicia's look beautiful but I couldn't pull them off and I want to stay away from braids, I wore them for years and I am too old to take those things out nowadays, I don't know how I did it when I was younger.

Boadicea

Try the scalp massages and see if it helps.

Find a simple style and routine and stay consistent.

You may also want to try Protein shakes, Spirulina and L-Cysteine. Check with your doctor first, though.

G

Boadicea, what has your experience been taking the Spirulina? I was going to try it but never got around to ordering it...does it really help to accelerate hair growth?

Boadicea

I honestlty wouldn't know. I haven't taken it long enough or by itself. When I was taking it, I was also taking L-Cysteine. With the L-Cysteine, I did notice more growth (I've used it by itself, before).

Spirulina contains a lot of protein, which is why I suggested it. I had only been taking it for about a week, so I never had the chance to find out.

afrodyt2000

so you are getting married soon also? That's great how are your preps going? I looked at your hair pictures they are great, your hair looks very healthy.

Teshila

[ QUOTE ]
Boadicea said:
I honestlty wouldn't know. I haven't taken it long enough or by itself. When I was taking it, I was also taking L-Cysteine. With the L-Cysteine, I did notice more growth (I've used it by itself, before).

Spirulina contains a lot of protein, which is why I suggested it. I had only been taking it for about a week, so I never had the chance to find out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your hair is beautiful. I bought some L-Cysteine, but am not sure exactly how to take it. Some sources have told me to take it by itself, some have said that you need vitamin C, others have said that in order for it to work one needs to also be taking all the other amino acids. How do you take your L-Cysteine and what type of results have you experienced?

Boadicea

@ afrodyt2000: Thanks! I've had a lot of mishaps with my hair so I'm babying it right now.

We're still looking around for places for the reception. I'm not big on parties or being the center of attention so I don't reeeeeally want a traditional wedding. Just something very small, perhaps in a botanical garden. I was thinking Central Park, or the Bronx Botanical Garden or the Brooklyn one. All three are fantastically beautiful. You forget that you're in New York!

@ Teshila: It is suggested that you take L-Cysteine with Vitamin C (which is what I did, 1000mcg) to keep it from oxidizing (being used only partially or used up too quickly). I took the L-Cysteine and the Vitamin C before bed, about 2 hours after I had eaten.

My hair naturally grows half an inch a month, and I was able to add another half inch when taking the L-Cysteine. I stopped taking all supplements back in late August because I was getting sick from them.

afrodyt2000

well Brooklyn Botanical is okay but they have pretty strict rules. You can check the website. I am starting to look into other places that are kind of alternatives like Museums and mansions, stuff like that, but a lot of them are expensive in NY. I know I'll find something nice, you will too and you still have time.

Boadicea

Good luck with your search.

moneychaser

3 years that's plenty of time to grow your hair! Your hair should grow 18 inches ( 6 inches per year)..
Your job is to keep those 18 inches on your head