4 bad perms in two months

MochaEyeCandy

There are not any good professionals where I live. Y'all know the reasons. I am the only one who has ever gotten my hair to SL. No hairdresser has done that. They overprocess me. They look at my supernappy texture and ignore the extremely fine strands and they proceed to melt my hair to the scalp.

My hair is actually not at all damaged. Just calcium deposited right now.
Just out of curiosity what exactly is it you think you're doing by relaxing 4 times in 2 month???

vkb247

Choppybob, what kind of advice are you looking for. The ladies are giving you really great advice but you don't seem to agree with any of it.

I have also relaxed/texlaxed several times in a short amount of time but the longest I left it in my hair was 20 min. and I always mixed conditioner and oil in the relaxer. The first time I also sprayed some aphogee keratin leave-in in it first and let it dry before relaxing because I was so worried about using a chemical and I think this is why it didn't take. I was also virgin relaxing. I often feel like I still want my curl a little looser but I still stretched for 3+ months afterwards and dc'd during and after like mad.

I find it hard to understand why you aren't concerned that your hair is overprocessed. Maybe this is why your hair is hard not because you need to chelate. I didn't know that neutralizing shampoo was supposed to chelate, either way I think that you are playing with fire by continously chelating. Continously using vinegar, especially if it is not highly diluted, can also be damaging. Everything in moderation.

Even if your hair was limp when over processed before and acted differently before when you had calcium deposits, doesn't mean that you aren't experiencing this now. Hair can start to react differently to the same conditioner let alone the new and different relaxers you were trying. Think about it.The seasons have changed, this is new hair that was grown under different conditions than the hair you have already dealt with, etc., etc, etc.You can't possibly imagine what you have really done to your hair. Especially if you are a newbie (this is what you said, I'm not trying to call you out).

I also think that you should be able to straighten wavy hair fine without direct heat. Didn't you say you have fine hair? I have seen plenty of texlaxed ladies here that don't use direct heat and their hair is beautifully straight when they want it to be.

I think that you need to baggy and get in protective styles asap and pray that your beautiful fine hair forgives you for so much manipulation...IMO

I say this with love. I really want to help and I hope that you do not experience a greater crisis as a result of this.

ETA: Doing correctives a few times a year is more regular than it should be. You really need to take some time to find out why your relaxers aren't taking. I am glad that you are leaving the chemicals alone for awhile.

Last edited:

shmmr

Good Lawd that's a lotta relaxin! :perplexed I do understand your desire for hair that does not need heat though. Sorry I can't offer any advice but perhaps go to a professional after you've waited several weeks - maybe they'll recommend a relaxer that works well for you then you can maintain it yourself with the correct amt of time after watching what & how they do. I'm very glad that you still have hair :spinning:

lexi84

Choppybob, what kind of advice are you looking for. The ladies are giving you really great advice but you don't seem to agree with any of it.

I noticed that too.

Choppy, we're not trying to bash you or scold you and most certainly not trying to judge you...we're trying to help. We've all done some pretty jacked up things to our hair so NONE of us are in a position to pass judgement on you. But honestly, you need to take heed to some of the GOOD advice these ladies are trying to give you.

Just a sidebar, if you're worried about damage from heat, why aren't you worried about damage from relaxing 4 times in 2 months???? I dont get it.

shmmr

Also I know that many of the ladies here will disagree with what you've done, but I'm happy/proud of you that you've been bold enough to post it, I'm certain that someone lurking somewhere is in the same boat and is wondering what to do.

gorgeoushair

Do you use lye? I read somewhere that you don't smooth with a lye perm.

Of course, i don't recall where I read that. Could this be the overall issue, and why I have used almost a whole bucket of perm for nothing? :wallbash:

Regardless, I will not be looking at ANY chemicals for the rest of the year. Thanks to all who added to this thread. I love LHCF

I'm not sure where you heard that but that is far from the truth. How is the newgrowth gonna get straight. The smoothing process is what is going to help the relaxer straightened the newgrowth.

Jazala

Do you use lye? I read somewhere that you don't smooth with a lye perm.

Of course, i don't recall where I read that. Could this be the overall issue, and why I have used almost a whole bucket of perm for nothing? :wallbash:

I use no-lye but when I was using lye and when I use it on my friends, I still do the smoothing. Without it the hair will not get as straight.

Regardless, I will not be looking at ANY chemicals for the rest of the year. Thanks to all who added to this thread. I love LHCF

Good idea. I'd wait for at least 3 months if you can stand it. Happy to help in anyway I can. :yep:

ShiShiPooPoo

You sound like me when I used to do things like that. Once I relaxed again the same day. I have been going to a prof. for my relaxers for years now and I am very happy. I, like you, like bone straightness because I can do the no/low heat, low mani, rollersets.

HoneyDew

Also I know that many of the ladies here will disagree with what you've done, but I'm happy/proud of you that you've been bold enough to post it, I'm certain that someone lurking somewhere is in the same boat and is wondering what to do.

true. ...........

FluffyRed

Wow is all I can say. Have you ever thought about being natural?

I've been natural and liked it a lot. :yep: Big time hand in fro disease. Just making a different choice right now.

I've done my hair with no-lye perms for years, off and on. I always got to SL, but then would go to a stylist and they would pull a perm to my ends and then tell me my hair was overprocessed and limp, needing to be cut. so, I will keep doing my perms.

This topic came up because I switched to a mild lye perm and tried texlaxing.

I liked the strength and texture left in it, and I deliberately texlaxed, but found that I could not rollerset with textured hair and get the results I wanted. The hair is stronger than I have ever felt my relaxed hair (great) but not easily finger-combed after a rollerset (i want a low mani regimen).

So, two months later, I tried to bonestraighten with the same mild lye.

It didn't get bonestraight.

I've been through a lot with my hair over the years. I know the difference between calcium deposits and overprocessing on my hair. And I am DCing with a showercap as i type this.:rolleyes:

I think my question has been answered.

2 to 3 months from now I'm trying Mizani butter blends again and I will be smoothing this time.

And I don't get offended by anyone offering advice. I take it in the spirit it's given in and i appreciate the participation of all who have contributed.

Bottom line, I think it's a matter of me learning to deal with rollersetting this more textured, moisture-protein-balanced hair. Maybe my texlaxed hair can take a little more manipulation and not break off.

I was typing this out of frustration and to get the input of others and I'm hoping this will help some fine-haired newbie trying to get her regimen straight.

FluffyRed

Just out of curiosity what exactly is it you think you're doing by relaxing 4 times in 2 month???

What I have done is accelerate the damage that will occur if I overlap my subsequent relaxers. 2 perms and 2 correctives in 2 mos is definitely not the norm for me, and not a good idea. I posted with this title because it is bad and shocking. But, at this point, I am about as processed as I would be if I overlapped my relaxer once.

That's not dangerous for me right now, but in 2-3 mos when I relax again, is where I would be in danger of overprocessing if I overlap, which I will not with those clips in place.

FluffyRed

Even if your hair was limp when over processed before and acted differently before when you had calcium deposits, doesn't mean that you aren't experiencing this now. Hair can start to react differently to the same conditioner let alone the new and different relaxers you were trying. Think about it.The seasons have changed, this is new hair that was grown under different conditions than the hair you have already dealt with, etc., etc, etc.You can't possibly imagine what you have really done to your hair. Especially if you are a newbie (this is what you said, I'm not trying to call you out).

I am a newbie to these boards, but not to all the methods. Some of the techniques I was able to derive through trial and error over the years, although I have added a ton of excellent info being here.

I also think that you should be able to straighten wavy hair fine without direct heat. Didn't you say you have fine hair? I have seen plenty of texlaxed ladies here that don't use direct heat and their hair is beautifully straight when they want it to be.

What is happening when I rollerset with texlaxed roots is, the roots stay separated where the part is made and it's hard to finger comb the hair so that I don't have parts showing. So, I need help there.

ETA: Doing correctives a few times a year is more regular than it should be. I am glad that you are leaving the chemicals alone for awhile.

Agreed.

Miamori

LOL, is the moon in a particular strange alignment tonight/this morning since it's Halloween???!?!?!! Will it be a full moon tonight??? Maybe it's just all the planets in general or something... :spinning:

LHCF ladies are JUMPING on people. :grin: :lachen: :nono:

LOL anyway... Glad you understand what's been done and what needs to be done from this point on, OP. Hope your hair recovers if it needs to. Growing hair is just a learning experience.

FluffyRed

Update: this morning, after DCing all night with Giovanni 5050, allsoft AND hello hydration mixed, I rinsed gently.

As I combed the nape, I could feel crazy friction, no slip. Big problem. I sprayed detangler all over. Still could not comb through. (by comb, I mean using a wide toothed pick on just a few big tangles).

Remembering SistaSlick's article, where lack of protein can cause hair to not accept moisture, I squirted Infusium liberally, and the friction stopped instantly. Sealed with oil, and now my hair is calmed down. WHEW!!

crlsweetie912

Maybe it's just me. But it seems that you are doing too much to your hair to even know what's working and what's not working? JMO..
And I don't think that anyone was jumping on anybody in this thread...

FluffyRed

Maybe it's just me. But it seems that you are doing too much to your hair to even know what's working and what's not working? JMO..

That might be, if I hadn't been through much of this before.

The only thing different it this case is that, with SistaSlick's advice, I have been able to correct whatever was wrong quickly. In the past, when I had calcium deposits and/or extremely roughed-up cuticle, it was a long process of trial and error and pampering and eventually the softness came back.

So, actually, I do know what worked, because i saw it work.

This is not a matter of opinion, it's a matter of fact.

But thanks anyway.

ETA - after the infusium, I dced with Real Control, for a good protein boost and hair is about 85-90% back to normal, by appearance and feel, at least.

Last edited:

Miamori

You're entitled to your opinion. :ohwell:

Not everyone views things in the same way. I found comments bordering on rude, and I wasn't the only one. I called it like I saw it. Glad you decided to do the same. :look:

Menina Preta

To OP, why don't you use Mizani BB Regular/Normal? It seems the mild is jut not working for you. I used BB regular this past week, and my NG was straight in about 13 minutes. My friend used it as well and she's a 4B. Her hair was straight in like 20 - 25 min. Some ladies can't use mild with good results.

Also, when you self-relax, try to avoid putting any oils, creams, or butters on the actual NG as it may prevent the relaxer from taking.

One more thing, when you roller set, avoid using the snap-ons. Use the metal clips and make sure to comb through the roots carefully with a small tooth comb to ensure proper detangling to minimize breakage when combing out (I'm not sure what you do, but just wanted to add this as well). HTH.

MissJ

Wow, just wow.

Why did you think this was a good idea? Were you trying to imitate StillALady's results?

*Frisky*

I dont think anybody was being rude either. Honestly I was wondering what the OP was trying to gain by starting the thread because she always had a comeback for all the suggestions people were giving her but then she posted how she is frustrated about it and that is understandable. There are just certain hair practices that will NEVER be ok to do on this board plain and simple and doing mulitple relaxers in a short span is one of them. That is just the way it is...

Menina Preta

I dont think anybody was being rude either. Honestly I was wondering what the OP was trying to gain by starting the thread because she always had a comeback for all the suggestions people were giving her but then she posted how she is frustrated about it and that is understandable. There are just certain hair practices that will NEVER be ok to do on this board plain and simple and doing mulitple relaxers in a short span is one of them. That is just the way it is...

True..About mild relaxers, I don't know why so many on LHCF use them and then complain that their hair is underprocessed (not directed explicitly at OP...just something I've noticed). The same thing with adding oil directly to the relaxer...When you use mild (if your hair is resistant or coarser) and/or add lots of oil or coat your NG, you're kinda setting yourself up for underprocessing. If that's no biggie to you then that's fine, but if you want straight roots while wet, I wouldn't do all those things. If you're curious about mild, then try it, but if it doesn't work for you in terms of results the first time, I wouldn't return to it.

Moreover, about relaxers, I may be saying a taboo, but perhaps a little overlap, like 1/6th or less of an inch is a good thing...I was rollersetting my roomie's hair the other day, and you could clearly see in her hair where the relaxer was applied, b/c there was little less than a centimeter of hair that wasn't processed the same way as the rest of her hair (it was a lot kinkier). And this occurred in a pattern throughout the length of her hair (APL) that was consistent with about 1.5 - 2 inches of NG per relaxer.

FluffyRed

There are just certain hair practices that will NEVER be ok to do on this board plain and simple and doing mulitple relaxers in a short span is one of them. That is just the way it is...

Clearly I know that, or else I would not have posted about it. If it were my normal practice I would not have posted about it.

This thread was actually informative and I did get some very good information.

But someone telling me that I "don't know what's working" on my hair when I'm the one looking at it is neither constructive nor accurate.

Advice and input is always welcomed when solicited, but attitude about someone else's hair, who you have never even met, that's a little overboard.

Sorry, but I am the expert on my hair's health. I do not defer to any hairstylist and I certainly do not defer to some female sitting behind a computer screen.

Again, to the people that offered constructive advice, Thanks.

crlsweetie912

Clearly I know that, or else I would not have posted about it. If it were my normal practice I would not have posted about it.

This thread was actually informative and I did get some very good information.

But someone telling me that I "don't know what's working" on my hair when I'm the one looking at it is neither constructive nor accurate.

Advice and input is always welcomed when solicited, but attitude about someone else's hair, who you have never even met, that's a little overboard.

Sorry, but I am the expert on my hair's health. I do not defer to any hairstylist and I certainly do not defer to some female sitting behind a computer screen.

Again, to the people that offered constructive advice, Thanks.

I truely hope that you hair recovers and thrives. Everyone have a wonderful, safe weekend :bighug:

FluffyRed

Wow, just wow.

Why did you think this was a good idea? Were you trying to imitate StillALady's results?

No, what happened to stillalady?:perplexed

I have actually been trying to ascertain how long processing time should be for my hair when using mizani bb f/c lye.

FluffyRed

True..About mild relaxers, I don't know why so many on LHCF use them and then complain that their hair is underprocessed (not directed explicitly at OP...just something I've noticed). The same thing with adding oil directly to the relaxer...When you use mild (if your hair is resistant or coarser) and/or add lots of oil or coat your NG, you're kinda setting yourself up for underprocessing. If that's no biggie to you then that's fine, but if you want straight roots while wet, I wouldn't do all those things. If you're curious about mild, then try it, but if it doesn't work for you in terms of results the first time, I wouldn't return to it.

Moreover, about relaxers, I may be saying a taboo, but perhaps a little overlap, like 1/6th or less of an inch is a good thing...I was rollersetting my roomie's hair the other day, and you could clearly see in her hair where the relaxer was applied, b/c there was little less than a centimeter of hair that wasn't processed the same way as the rest of her hair (it was a lot kinkier). And this occurred in a pattern throughout the length of her hair (APL) that was consistent with about 1.5 - 2 inches of NG per relaxer.

you're absolutely right. I was not prepared to handle stronger hair. :perplexed A mental shift is needed to some extent. Also, better smoothing technique, as someone else mentioned.

On the second bold, I have been ok with a little overlapping. Plan to have less of this, as I have started to stretch now.

Last edited: