4 bad perms in two months

FluffyRed

It's actually, right now, bouncy, shiny and smoothieluscious!

That protein-moisture balance thing!! I did a damp rollerset, and it's not perfect but it looks thick full and healthy. I can see, now that my hair can be long and healthy in the future, if I continue to stretch and minimize overlapping.

My roots are still somewhat textured, but it is working, really well!

I'll post pics tomorrow, if possible.

ETA - I do NOT recommend doing what I did, just hope someone can be helped (if they do mess up) by the info provided by everyone in this thread

Last edited:

The Princess

Okay thats good. Make sure you keep up with your deep conditions. At least weekly due to the fact that you hair has went throught alot. Therefore it can keep being bouncy, shisny anbd smoothieluscious. But don't do that again. Or at least let a professional do your next relaxer, which should be no time soon. Im glad you make it through the storm.

Angelicus

This happened to me once. Your hair is now overprocessed, that's why it's looking wavy. Do not apply relaxers to your hair anymore. My suggestion is to braid up your hair with extenstions and grow out your hair. You cannot repair hair that is damaged. PM me for more help.

sylver2

This is exactly what I was thinking. Your hair may not look damaged from the frequent relaxers, but what will happen is that your hair will start to break later or you will eventually have crunchy/dry ends and wonder why....After a while, one section of my hair just got mad at me for the abuse and it refused to grow. I even experienced patches of hair loss at one time. No one would have been able to tell by looking at or even touching my hair that it was suffering.

I used to be a frequent relaxer (4-6 weeks). Stretching 8-12 weeks and limiting direct heat to 1-2 times per month MAX has made a huge difference in my hair. Now, when I do use heat, I my hair looks so much better because it's healthy.

Roller-sets are great, too. I'm doing one right now....

ITA!! me too

joib

Choppy, when you do decide to relax again, are you going to stick with a lye relaxer? I just did my own lye relaxer and I love it. Less shedding and no more breakage. Thanks for the thread. I will have to find Sisterslicks articles.

starfish79

I swear I read the title wrong...I thought FOR SURE that you meant 2 bad relaxers in 4 months. :nono: All I can say is leave the relaxers alone and find yourself a good DC and possibly some protein.

FluffyRed

WOW! The nap clock says I am coming up on 5.5 weeks since this post!

I'm trying to make it to mid January, for a stretch of 5.5 extra weeks, :drunk: before doing a touchup correctly!

Wish me luck!

HappyHairDreams

To OP, why don't you use Mizani BB Regular/Normal? It seems the mild is jut not working for you. I used BB regular this past week, and my NG was straight in about 13 minutes. My friend used it as well and she's a 4B. Her hair was straight in like 20 - 25 min. Some ladies can't use mild with good results.

Also, when you self-relax, try to avoid putting any oils, creams, or butters on the actual NG as it may prevent the relaxer from taking.

One more thing, when you roller set, avoid using the snap-ons. Use the metal clips and make sure to comb through the roots carefully with a small tooth comb to ensure proper detangling to minimize breakage when combing out (I'm not sure what you do, but just wanted to add this as well). HTH.

OP How about switching to the regular/normal? I have 4b/b hair and I use the fine/color treated like you. I leave it in for 20 minutes but I also add oil to it, protein treat my hair a few days before i relax and i coat my hair in vaseline before applying the relaxer since I'm not going for the bone straight look. You'll probably be able to achieve the results you want with the stronger relaxer but if you're concerned about the medium/normal since you have fine hair you can add oil to it to weak it a little. Good luck.

TrustMeLove

Choppy you still have all you hair? lOl.

This sounds wrong, but when I was reading the thread seeing it was started in october...I was like ooohh I wonder if she still has all her hair? :lachen: That is wrong, but I was internalizing what would have happened to my hair if I would have done exactly what you did. I would have had a fade. TRUST!

But, obviously you have been through this process before so you know what to expect and how to correct.

So what's happening now?

hillytmj

I'm with the other ladies: too many relaxers! I would only touchup at 6 weeks as the earliest time, but i normally go 8 to 9 weeks.

girlyprincess23

yes I did a milder form of this a while ago yeah ended up with quite a bit of damage and my hair was ridiculously porous too, even with only using mild relaxers, it was horrible and I didn't even really notice it was damaged. Luckily my good friend is a stylist and she gave me a cut where I kept most of my length and she gave me some layers to cut out the damage and gave me a leave in that helped repair/ alleviate? the porosity and a reconstructor to help with strength. That is why I love L'anza so much they are a little expensive but they are quality and even though they are marketed towards white people we all know that many "white" products work just as well on "black" hair, not all though. If you find yourself with damage I highly reccomend this line hth

FluffyRed

OP How about switching to the regular/normal? Good luck.

That's the option I was considering when I posted. :yep: But I've already bought another jar of the Fine/Color treated.

AND, I know I need to smoothe this time. Previously I tried to texlax, didn't like it, tried to process a little more. Not a horrible result, but I wasn't comfortable with it at the time.

Also, I am developing more of a tolerance for a little texture and am learning to work with it properly (using the scarf method).

Choppy you still have all you hair? lOl.

So what's happening now?

Yes, I do. :yep: I actually posted pics of the after. I am hypothesizing that the effect of all these perms is just like overlapping.

I have, effectively, overlapped a small amount of growth enough to last a lifetime. So, to counteract that, I am going to stretch extra long to minimize the total amt of overlapping that hair deals with.

If I could stretch until I get an inch of growth before the next touchup, that overprocessed hair need not be exposed to relaxer again, since, in the future, I am covering that hair with condish or vaseline.

So, it's good right now. We'll see on the next touchup.

Thanks, ladies!

Last edited:

FluffyRed

I'm with the other ladies: too many relaxers! I would only touchup at 6 weeks as the earliest time, but i normally go 8 to 9 weeks.

Definitely! :yep:

My goodness.....
From what I understand - Over processing is DEATH to hair.
It happened to me.......

Me too! In college, I had a thio perm (jheri curl, no juice = crunchy hell:nono:) at an "upscale" salon (I walked into a white salon in a new town) and had a regular salon repair this by putting a Lye perm over it. :nono: She kept hair on my head, in a chin length bob, until it all grew out! Again, my hair is baby fine!

Then, years later, went to a different salon where they would routinely comb a Mizani perm to the ends and leave it in until it started burning. :yep: I think he counted from the time I was in pain to know when to rinse it out. :nono: He could cut and style his tail off, though. Chemical burn city, though. And bone straight like I have never seen. It was literally relaxed to the point of mushiness!

So, yeah, I've been through sheer hell. No more salons for me - I'll shave my hair off first.

That is why I love L'anza so much ... If you find yourself with damage I highly reccomend this line hth

Thank you. I will look out for it, before I see damage. :yep: My hair is still soft right now, responsive to protein and moisture cons, and has tensile strength/elasticity all along the shaft.