4 Month Braid Protective Style/ Growth Oil Challenge Results

Shalay11

I have not been on here in a long time..I believe the last time I posted was during my pregnancy. I just wanted to show those who are longterm protective styling my progress from a few different styles I did.

This first one was 4 months long wearing box braids!

This was the results for that :)

The most recent longterm style was crochets(so my real hair was in cornrows)for 10 weeks!

My hair seems to grow really well when i protective style it for long periods of time vs when I just leave my real hair out and style. I do get growth when i mini twist my real hair, however I don't think i retain as much as when i add hair.. See examples below

What is your opinion on longterm protective styles? Do you get more or less retention and/or growth?

nirel333

Great results! My hair gets all types of matted if I keep it braided up longer than 3 weeks. I need to wash my hair frequently so long term protective styling is not an option for me..

Shalay11

Great results! My hair gets all types of matted if I keep it braided up longer than 3 weeks. I need to wash my hair frequently so long term protective styling is not an option for me..

I like washing my hair but it doesn't seem to need to be washed when I'm protective styling ... I'm happy my hair doesn't smell bad Probably because I don't put much in it and don't sweat much .. Only time I'd getting matting is if I moisturize it with something not water base to often.Hence why I try to use my own spritz mixtures . Thanks for the reply

CICI24

Braids work best for me. I have seen some of your vids already I didn't know you are a member here.

Anaisin

With extensions it retains but I lose density, the synthetic hair pulls my hair out. I loved mini braids though, wish I could find comparison pics from over the years.

I can't keep them in for long though or my hair mattes.

If this new braider I found is reliable I'll be getting my hair braided every 2 weeks with no extensions. My hair is close to MBL now. I retain more with loose frequently washed hair but I like braids and like a break from doing my hair and stopping myself from buying hair products

Shalay11

Braids work best for me. I have seen some of your vids already I didn't know you are a member here.
Yeah I've been a member here for some years.. I haven't been on here in a long time but want to try to be more active in this forum

Shalay11

With extensions it retains but I lose density, the synthetic hair pulls my hair out. I loved mini braids though, wish I could find comparison pics from over the years.

I can't keep them in for long though or my hair mattes.

If this new braider I found is reliable I'll be getting my hair braided every 2 weeks with no extensions. My hair is close to MBL now. I retain more with loose frequently washed hair but I like braids and like a break from doing my hair and stopping myself from buying hair products

Yeah I need to find me a new braided once we move ...I finally found a braider that listens and does what I want her to do and we are moving from the area soon

beingofserenity

I'm doing this now. I know it grows but I never really notice a difference, so this time I'm measuring and moisturizing via braid spray. I don't think I ever consistently moisturized it.

Shalay11

I'm doing this now. I know it grows but I never really notice a difference, so this time I'm measuring and moisturizing via braid spray. I don't think I ever consistently moisturized it.
The last couple times I've made my own moisturizing spritz.. However I love using African royale braid spray because for me it moisturizes my real hair and doesn't leave a lot of build up.. Good luck on your hair growth .. Hopefully you can let us know how it worked for you .