4 Month Update W/ Pictures

QuinEE

I ended my 16 week stretch yesterday and I am not happy! I had to trim my ends again so it looks like I am still in the same spot I was in in November.

November ‘09
S6304638-1.jpg

March ‘10
S6304957.jpg

I don’t know what my ends have against me. This morning I was brushing my teeth, looked down and what did I see? Splits! Already.

Here is my March ’09 and March ’10 blow dry comparison:

March ‘09
S6303392-1.jpg

March ‘10
15Weeks.jpg

I also have another dilemma. I love my stylist. She does everything right, but she hates that I stretch for 16 weeks/ 4 months. I used to just joke with her that if I didn’t wait so long she would never remember who I was, but I’m starting to feel a little guilty. Yesterday she tells me, “You have some strong hair because anybody else hair would have broken off by now. Four months is just way too long for your relaxer.” I was already feeling bad when she adds, “You can’t wait this long. With all your new growth I can’t tell where your demarcation line is and I don’t want to over process you.” She wants me to come in at least every 10 weeks instead of every 12, but my LHCF mind knows my hair will not break off from the line of demarcation if I keep my protein/moisture balance up and yes my new growth is a beast, but it seems like every stretch gets easier and easier. 16 weeks seems to just fly by now. When I comb my hair I can tell my relaxed hair from my new growth, but maybe because it’s my hair. Before I left she said to me, “You take pretty good care of your hair. It’s in great condition.” That made me feel a little better, but I was still thinking about what she said earlier the entire way home.

Help me ladies. I don’t know what to do. I’m starting to feel really bad about stretching to 16 weeks and I have to do something about these ends!

Maybe it"s just me but it seems to be getting thicker and a tad longer. Are you wearing protective styles?

It looks a lot thicker to me :yep:. My stylist felt the same way about stretching but I no longer go to salons period and I'm transitioning to natural.

My ends look exactly like yours in the March 09 picture. Sometimes you have to cut it to make it look full..Your hair looks full from root to end....Now its time for my cut

I am natural now for the past year, but when I had a relaxer I was able to achieve bsl healthy hair. That being said, if you want to continue to relax, stretching is the best thing you can do. I wouldn't listen to the stylist. You have plenty of evidence from this site to see that stretching is the way to go. Don't let someone pressure you otherwise. Also are you protective styling at all? I do notice the ends are thinned, maybe you need to more protective styling and sealing of your ends with castor oil, or shea to protect them from splits. I HTH. Don't be discouraged.

Your hair looks thicker and I can see a little length...and what your stylist said makes no sense. Stretching is supposed to PREVENT overprocessing and she should be able to see your line of demarcation better with MORE length at 16 weeks than less at 10 wks. Your ends do look a bit thin in your blowdried pic. How often do you use heat?

I wouldn't let a stylist deter you from stretching, especially if you're not experiencing breakage...how to you take care of your ends while you stretch? Do you dust (or S&D)? M&S? Limit heat? Keep them off your shoulders? Your hair looks great but I can understand your frustration.

Your hair looks so nice and thick! If stretching is working for you, keep doing what you are doing. I think that the stylist just doesn't want to put in the work (and wants to put extra $$$ in her pocket).

Keep up the good work. Nice progress.

do your thing sista. you dont have to relax so often. some stylists are money hungry, and why cant she tell where the line of demarcation is? op maybe you can put some conditioner in your hair or hair cream so u wont get over processed

Your hair does look thicker and you have retained some length. Try not to be discouraged. I think you should stick to stretching. If it works for you, that is all that matters.

How do you wear your hair daily. There is a thread going around about how the Waist Length ladies bun daily and co-wash.

I can see that your U shape us fuller, but I know how you feel you want the length and the thickness.

As for your stylist, at the end of the day it's your hair on your head you have to make the choices that YOU know are best for YOUR Hair.

Your hair is beautiful!!

First of all let me start off by saying your hair in the March 10 photo looks beautiful....full and healthy. Secondly, do you moisturise and seal your ends and do you dust during your stretch (if you do dust are you using a sharp hair scissors?). There are so many things that can be contributors to your split ends so in order to pin point the culprit(s) you will need to write down a list of the things you do with/to your hair.

I think you should continue to stretch but I do think your ends in the March 10 blowdry picture look thin. Have you noticed breakage in your daily routine?

Thanks ladies!

This stretch was actually where I noticed the least amount of breakage.

When I’m about 4 weeks post I start to only wear my hair up and the only time I use heat is when I blow dry the week before my touch up to make sectioning easier. I shampoo/condition once a week with a co-wash somewhere in the middle of the week. I do not moisturize and seal my ends like I did in the beginning of my journey. I used to do it regularly, but now I only do it when it comes to mind. I also think I am bunning wrong. I just don’t pull my hair completely out of my ponytail and I read here a few weeks ago that that was bad for the ends. I remember thinking “uh oh!”

I think I’m going to continue stretching for 16 weeks. She’ll get over it.

Bun properly…Moisturize and Seal. Got it!

Your hair looks thicker, that's progress. Some ladies get thickness before length, sometimes that's a great thing.

keep it up

I don't know, but it looks extremely thicker and it does seem a little longer. I'm sure it's not the progress you may have expected or wanted, but I do see a lot of progress from the first picture. Keep up the good work!!!

I see progress, it's a little longer, but it is definitely thicker. You may be like me and have some left over hair from before your journey. I have been slowly trimming the hair, that I didn't take good care of, away. Looks great. :yep:

Your hair looks beautiful.

If you want to keep stretching, then tell your stylist to take a seat.
Not in so many words, but just kindly and gently explain to her that you are set on waiting 16 weeks, and that it isn't up for discussion.

Stylists don't like for people to stretch because it takes money out of their pockets, and touch ups take more time, product and energy when there's more new growth present. But if you're paying her for her service, then she has no right to make you feel bad about stretching, just because she doesn't like to deal with the new growth.

it looks fuller to me and I have my glasses on lmao!!!
sometimes stretching is not the way to go, I stretch but when I notice my hair is not reacting well to it, I stop the stretch, sometimes stretches go well sometimes they don't.

but your hair still looks good. maybe in the meantime set a light trimming schedule with your stylist to keep those ends fresh. I just did a trim and maybe only took a cm off nowhere near a half inch, and it didn't hinder my length at all maybe try that.

Your hair looks beautiful.

If you want to keep stretching, then tell your stylist to take a seat.
Not in so many words, but just kindly and gently explain to her that you are set on waiting 16 weeks, and that it isn't up for discussion.

Stylists don't like for people to stretch because it takes money out of their pockets, and touch ups take more time, product and energy when there's more new growth present. But if you're paying her for her service, then she has no right to make you feel bad about stretching, just because she doesn't like to deal with the new growth.

Please listen to this advice.

Stylists are just that, stylists. They shouldn't make ANYONE feel guilty about anything when they're getting paid for a service. Only your pastor or something should make you feel guilty. :lachen:

Stretch for as long as you like. To be honest, a good stylist would be honest with you and tell you 2 relaxers per year is the most you should do ANYWAY. Real talk. If she has trouble finding your line of demarcation, then request a new stylist that can. If after stretching so long that she can't find it and fears she'll overprocess you, then I'm sorry, she's not that skilled.

I also think your ends SEEM thin, but I think it really is just your hair growing. It grows at different lengths and then the other hair will catch up. See, the back of your hair and the middle and top part both grow and of course the bottom layer is going to seemingly stand out as thin.

I see progress, so don't let your stylists talk you into trimming off all your progress, something she just did and now you're upset because you're back at your old point. Your hair is beautiful.

Sorry if I seem a little aggravated, but I get that way when stylists tell their clients stuff to get in their minds so they can make more money. Thank goodness I'm a DIYer.

All progress won't be in length every single time but your shorter side layers have gotten longer. You hair looks much thicker and consistent from root to tip which will help prevent thinness as your hair grows longer. And your ends don't appear heat damaged to me.

I ended my 16 week stretch yesterday and I am not happy! I had to trim my ends again so it looks like I am still in the same spot I was in in November.

November ‘09
S6304638-1.jpg

March ‘10
S6304957.jpg

I don’t know what my ends have against me. This morning I was brushing my teeth, looked down and what did I see? Splits! Already.

Here is my March ’09 and March ’10 blow dry comparison:

March ‘09
S6303392-1.jpg

March ‘10
15Weeks.jpg

I also have another dilemma. I love my stylist. She does everything right, but she hates that I stretch for 16 weeks/ 4 months. I used to just joke with her that if I didn’t wait so long she would never remember who I was, but I’m starting to feel a little guilty. Yesterday she tells me, “You have some strong hair because anybody else hair would have broken off by now. Four months is just way too long for your relaxer.” I was already feeling bad when she adds, “You can’t wait this long. With all your new growth I can’t tell where your demarcation line is and I don’t want to over process you.” She wants me to come in at least every 10 weeks instead of every 12, but my LHCF mind knows my hair will not break off from the line of demarcation if I keep my protein/moisture balance up and yes my new growth is a beast, but it seems like every stretch gets easier and easier. 16 weeks seems to just fly by now. When I comb my hair I can tell my relaxed hair from my new growth, but maybe because it’s my hair. Before I left she said to me, “You take pretty good care of your hair. It’s in great condition.” That made me feel a little better, but I was still thinking about what she said earlier the entire way home.

Help me ladies. I don’t know what to do. I’m starting to feel really bad about stretching to 16 weeks and I have to do something about these ends!

It looks a lil longer and definitely thicker:yep: But truthfully you should be retaining a lot more growth. Shoot me an email and we can go through your regimen and see if anything needs revamping:yep:

If your stylist can't see your line of demarcation she should find another profession.

Do what works for you!

Back