4-year-old Dies From Flu After Members Of Anti-vax Facebook Group Advise His Mom To Use Thyme And El

Daernyris

Sounds like she was ill-equipped for motherhood and her son paid for it.

Not following medical advice is all too common. People will leave the ED AMA(against medical advice) in a heartbeat, only to come back to the hospital begging to be saved.

You know what I think is profound to me about this story? I'm almost certain if you were to ask the mother, she will tell you she did the best she could for this child. That everyone is at fault for this child's death except her.

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
She sounds like an inexperienced mother, yes..maybe even overwhelmed, to allow herself be misled by some crazy kooks online. But folks coming at her like she's a single baby momma. She's married and her husband had responded to the criticism. I don't know what their extended family structure is or how insured they are but seems they don't have a strong support base.

We're always quick to call for jail time on black folks, esp when we don't know the whole story.

Leeda.the.Paladin

She sounds like an inexperienced mother, yes..maybe even overwhelmed, to allow herself be misled by some crazy kooks online. But folks coming at her like she's a single baby momma. She's married and her husband had responded to the criticism. I don't know what their extended family structure is or how insured they are but seems they don't have a strong support base.

We're always quick to call for jail time on black folks, esp when we don't know the whole story.
What did the husband say? She said in the screenshots that she was trying to go the natural way alone so does that mean the husband was not down with this? She also said that the doctor suggested that she treat the kids and herself with tamiflu, why wasn’t a husband mentioned? Just seems weird.

Also, I didn’t think they were black. Black, white, or purple, it doesn’t change the fact that a child is dead and the mom went against medical advice in favor of Karen’s suggestions on Facebook

Jmartjrmd

What did the husband say? She said in the screenshots that she was trying to go the natural way alone so does that mean the husband was not down with this? She also said that the doctor suggested that she treat the kids and herself with tamiflu, why wasn’t a husband mentioned? Just seems weird.

Also, I didn’t think they were black. Black, white, or purple, it doesn’t change the fact that a child is dead and the mom went against medical advice in favor of Karen’s suggestions on Facebook
Exactly. Why take the babies into the doctor if you're doing your own thing.
I'm all for natural but sometimes it doesnt work. Substituting medical care for facebook isnt good parenting or common sense. Use that on yourself if you wish but watching your kid suffer when there is help available is neglect.

Theresamonet

Mom isn’t even black, so miss us with the we’re so hard on the black woman talk. Regardless, of her color, I’d think she should be held accountable. A child is dead.

They had enough of a support system for there to be people in their lives urging them to follow doctors orders.

Inexperienced and overwhelmed to the point of causing the child’s death = ill equipped for motherhood, as a previous poster stated. And if they are really unwilling to hear criticism and think that they did all they could, as the father stated, then I’m afraid for the children they have left.

Oh, and mom has set up a Gofundme. :rolleyes:

chocolat79

My heart does not go out to this mother. She should be in jail, imo. She ignored sound medical advice in favor of “remedies” from strangers on the internet, despite SEEING that it wasn’t working. Doing all she could would have been, giving up her BS stance and filling that prescription for Tamiflu. Who watches their child getting progressively worse, and just keeps pouring teas?? She is not fit to parent those other kids.

Since when has peppermint oil and vitamin C been able to cure fevers and seizures? These people are idiots.

I believe in natural holistic living to keep well; keep the immune system healthy. But once you already have something and it’s progressing to the point of seizure, it’s time to use common sense, stop trying to make a point, and do what you have to do to get better.
ITA

Theresamonet

I don’t play around when it comes to the flu. I seriously thought I was going to die the two times I had it. Last time I had it I was so delirious I walked into a wall and fainted.
I make sure my babies get vaccinated annually.

That’s scary. Do you get vaccinated too? Maybe I should start...

I’ve never had a bad flu. I’m actually not sure that I’ve had the flu at all as an adult vs a common cold, maybe once or twice.

Jmartjrmd

How convenient she left off her gofundme that she ignored medical advice yet wants to take the tone that it's the hospitals fault.
I feel sorry for her kids but this death is partially on her. With kids and the flu you never know if he would have survived but at least give him a chance. Poor cutie pie. Parents in the PICU used to do this when I worked there. Kid to the point of no return then they wanna try and blame us. No ma'am.
I know hospitals mess up but I hate how she shifts the blame and leaves out what she decided to do for her babies despite being given treatment.
Natural disasters are natural doesn't mean they don't leave death and destruction in their path.

Leeda.the.Paladin

I’ve never had a bad flu. I’m actually not sure that I’ve had the flu at all as an adult vs a common cold, maybe once or twice.
I don’t play around when it comes to the flu. I seriously thought I was going to die the two times I had it. Last time I had it I was so delirious I walked into a wall and fainted.
I make sure my babies get vaccinated annually.
We got the flu as a family for the first time last year. I’ve always gotten the flu shot because it’s offered/mandatory at my jobs but I did not always get the kids vaccinated.

I really thought I was going to have to take DH to the hospital at one point and DDs fever was the highest I’d ever seen it. It was incredibly scary as a parent seeing your child that sick that suddenly.

We all get vaccinated now and will every year.We use elderberry etc too . but I will be at the doctor/ER in a heartbeat if things get bad and I embrace tamiflu.

I had not had the flu since I was a little girl and it knocked me on my butt.

LivingInPeace

You would know if you had the flu. It comes on suddenly. One minute you feel okay and the next you barely have the energy to walk. When I had the flu it took me forty-five minutes to get from the bedroom to the kitchen. I had to take breaks on the stairs.

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun

please do if only to protect and prevent transmission to those around you who can’t or have weakened immune systems (infants/people on chemo/pregnant women/old people, etc). While you may get ill they make up the bulk of who actually dies from it

discodumpling

She's gonna have to live with this the rest of her life. You're up to 3 children and have no idea how to treat or relieve a fever? You take 1 kid to the ER but seek advice on FB for the rest? You have a diagnosis of FLU and you wanna up his vitamin C?? She's a monster. She didn't deserve him.

moneychaser

It is no joke! I was afraid I wasnt going to wake up when I would go to sleep.
The two times I had I did not get vaccinated. I do now for sure!

Kanky

It is no joke! I was afraid I wasnt going to wake up when I would go to sleep.
The two times I had I did not get vaccinated. I do now for sure!
I got my flu shot this year, early in the season like I do every year and I had the worst flu I’ve ever had in my life. My husband procrastinated getting his flu shot and got an updated version that was a better match for the flu virus that was actually going around. He was fine and the kids and I who dutifully went to the doctor for our shots in a timely manner all got sick. Yes, I am still salty about it. :lol:

itsallaboutattitude

Cancer Support in Health
I’ve never had the flu shot. Why you posted about the flu shot you got vs the flu shot your hubby got is the main reason why.

There are 50-11 strains floating around and the drug manufacturers only create vaccines for 8 or 15 strains.

I also don’t want I live shot and docs keep saying it’s not live but my circle who have to or do so annually get sick within a week or two of getting the vaccine.

I may have gotten the flu 2019 Spring. That would be 1x in my 48 years.

I wear masks on the train to and from work and wash my hands. Use my elbows and arms to open and close doors or use a paper towel to touch objects being touched by everyone.

And if someone starts sneezing or coughing around me at the job, I’ll pull out my mask and put it on.
I got my flu shot this year, early in the season like I do every year and I had the worst flu I’ve ever had in my life. My husband procrastinated getting his flu shot and got an updated version that was a better match for the flu virus that was actually going around. He was fine and the kids and I who dutifully went to the doctor for our shots in a timely manner all got sick. Yes, I am still salty about it. :lol:

vevster

I think most know my position on western vs other types of medicine... so I'm not getting into that here, however, with kids, if the preventative / natural stuff isn't working you must take them to the hospital.... once it becomes acute ----

That said, there are people that get vaccinated follow all the western rules catch flu and die.

Last edited:

Leeda.the.Paladin

That said, there are people that get vaccinated follow all the western rules catch flu and die.
There are people that wear seat belts and still die in car accidents but that doesn’t mean that your chances are significantly better when wearing a seat belt vs not wearing one.

I’m not sure why people always seem to say things like “people who get vaccinated still can die”. No one ever said vaccinations are perfect.

Laela

Isn't the flu shot an injection of the virus so your body becomes immune to that strain? With so many strains, I can see people still getting the flu even if they got the shot. I know someone who had an already weakened immune system get the flu shot, literally dropping to the floor right after taking the shot and never waking up... died in the hospital.
That's an extreme cases...most people benefit from flu shots but I believe the health of one's immune system (young or old) plays a role in susceptibility of getting ill.

Leeda.the.Paladin

I know people that get the flu EVERY time they get that shot. No thanks....
Still not seeing the point. Again, benefits of the shot include lessening symptoms if you do catch it.

Since we are using anecdotal evidence as the basis for our reasoning, here’s mine: EYE know someone who knows she will get the flu ever year even tho she gets the flu shot. Know why she continues to get the shot? Because on the years she doesn’t get the flu shot, she ends up in the hospital. With the shot, she has a less violent reaction.

So we can all hold on to our anecdotal evidence to make us feel better.

dicapr

Isn't the flu shot an injection of the virus so your body becomes immune to that strain? With so many strains, I can see people still getting the flu even if they got the shot. I know someone who had an already weakened immune system get the flu shot, literally dropping to the floor right after taking the shot and never waking up... died in the hospital.
That's an extreme cases...most people benefit from flu shots but I believe the health of one's immune system (young or old) plays a role in susceptibility of getting ill.

The injection contains fragments/dead virus. You may have a reaction to the ingredients in the shot but unless you are opting for the flu mist you can’t get the flu from the shot.

vevster

Know why she continues to get the shot? Because on the years she doesn’t get the flu shot, she ends up in the hospital. With the shot, she has a less violent reaction.
Ahhhhh you know what happens when you ASSUME....

She gets the shot because she is FORCED to by her job. She works for a hospital.

Leeda.the.Paladin

Ahhhhh you know what happens when you ASSUME....

She gets the shot because she is FORCED to by her job. She works for a hospital.

What are you talking about? Im not assuming. But I am confused. :lol:

I’m not talking about your anecdotal person, I’m talking about mine. I never assumed to know anything about the person you’re talking about *shrug*

Laela

I don't see where I said the flu shot gives anyone the flu??... I said the flu shot won't keep them from getting sick/the flu. They could still be susceptible to other strains of the flu or other viruses

The injection contains fragments/dead virus. You may have a reaction to the ingredients in the shot but unless you are opting for the flu mist you can’t get the flu from the shot.