$400 Hair Shears WTH??????

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
I did a search for this but didn't really get an answer to my question.

I BC'd in May with a pair of brand new 'regular' scissors, because I thought as long as they were sharp it wouldn't make a difference. Fast forward a couple of months and my ends are knotting and I have more split ends after 2 months than I have had in the last 2 years.

I'm in the market for a pair of hair shears. Armed with the LHCF mantra of 'use the sharpest scissors you can find', I went to Sally's and a couple other BSS's to check out the wares and now I'm really confused. All of the scissors looked alike (maybe had different colored handles) and well, they 'looked' sharp to me, but what do I know?

I didn't really get a reasonable answer to justify the difference in prices. When I would ask what the real difference between the $4 and $25 scissors were, I either got a blank stare and/or an obvious BS answer.

When I went online to research the best kinda shears to buy, I found alot of websites that have hair shears ON SALE for $375 http://www.fineshears.com/tara.htm.

I guess my longwinded question is what makes a good pair of hair shears? I'm not trying to spend a car payment on a pair of scissors but I'll spend the money on a pair of quality shears that don't make my hair crazy after a few months.

Should I get one with serrated (sp?) edges like this one http://www.fineshears.com/hikari_trendy.htm(but cheaper)? What's the benefit?

Is there a reference online as to what makes for good scissors? I'm guessing different metals have different cutting properties and whatnot.:confused:

Any info. is appreciated.

Crackers Phinn

ok, with all these 'stay away from scissors' challenges, there's got to be somebody with some insight.

Help a sista out.

ElegantExotic

The price has alot to do with special sizes, handles, blades, etc.

It is important thatthe shears are very sharp, and the blades are properly aligned, to give a precise cut.

Also, you have to keep in mind that these expensive scissors are meant to be kept for a long time, and it is customary to get them serviced, sharpened, etc.

A good company is Bonika Shears. They are always at the Bronner Bros shows, and have a few training videos.

RainbowCurls

Erm, all I know is that on ultra cheap low quality ones the blades might not be aligned properly or the blades might get dull quicker, or not be that sharp in the first place.

But I would also like to know what makes a pair of $400 shears so special. Anyone?

ETA: cross-posted with MissBermuda...

so1913

MissBermuda said:
The price has alot to do with special sizes, handles, blades, etc.

It is important thatthe shears are very sharp, and the blades are properly aligned, to give a precise cut.

Also, you have to keep in mind that these expensive scissors are meant to be kept for a long time, and it is customary to get them serviced, sharpened, etc.

A good company is Bonika Shears. They are always at the Bronner Bros shows, and have a few training videos.

Exactly, the metal used also accounts for the quality and lasting sharpness of the blades.

You can also keep an eye out on Ebay for discounted shears once you find a pair you are interested in. I got a pair of $300 shears a while back for less than half the retail price.

balisi

Miss Bermuda is on point with her response.

In a nutshell, the higher end shears are generally priced with the professional in mind. I work at Hair Cuttery and cut hair all day so it's important that I use good shears. It's an investment in my profession, as well a tax write-off. I've heard of shears being so expensive that they require insurance.

The type of steel used is a big consideration in price. Japanese and German shears tend to be the best for long lasting quality and performance. It is important to properly care for your shears and be careful not to drop them or allow them to rust.

so1913

balisi said:
Miss Bermuda is on point with her response.

In a nutshell, the higher end shears are generally priced with the professional in mind. I work at Hair Cuttery and cut hair all day so it's important that I use good shears. It's an investment in my profession, as well a tax write-off. I've heard of shears being so expensive that they require insurance.

The type of steel used is a big consideration in price. Japanese and German shears tend to be the best for long lasting quality and performance. It is important to properly care for your shears and be careful not to drop them or allow them to rust.

Yep, mine are a pair of Japanese shears with a swivel thumb....too bad I never got into the self trimming to get some use out of them, lol.

UmSumayyah

If you don't trim much (and afterall, you are't a stylist) I would go for the less expensive shears. I have a pair of scissors from Sally's that cost me less than $10 if I recall. I have used them less than ten times for my daughter and myself since buying them about 3 years ago. They are just little shears for trimming, and we have experienced no problems with extra splits.

sassyhair

My mother told me that at sally's they have these 40 something dollars scissors that if you buy you can bring them back and they will resharpen them for you for a lifetime.

Crackers Phinn

sassyhair said:
My mother told me that at sally's they have these 40 something dollars scissors that if you buy you can bring them back and they will resharpen them for you for a lifetime.

See, I went to Sally's and them heffas didn't even mention that. I'll go to another store and see if I can find somebody who knows wth is up?

thx

~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you too UmSumayyah

Blackoutzangel05

This has probably been stated but it probably has to do with the quality metal, precision of the cut, etc. Also it is probably meant for someone that is going to use them often, like a hair stylist. Someone of that profession would probably use them enough to where the getting them sharpened is worth it. I personally own a $20 pair that I got from Sally's and I have used them one time. For my big chop. I will probably get them sharpened to ensure that they are on their game but I don't see spending that much money when I am not going to be using them that often.

silvergirl

Blackoutzangel05 said:
This has probably been stated but it probably has to do with the quality metal, precision of the cut, etc. Also it is probably meant for someone that is going to use them often, like a hair stylist. .

so very true. my moms a stylist and shes always told me to make sure i use her scissors to cut my hair( or end up with split ends). she has a pair of $800 scissors but they do make the difference when she needs to be cutting 30 heads or more of hair a day.

Starr1

Mehaz makes wonderful cutting shears for under $200 and they have a lifetime guarantee. A good pair of shears does make a difference, but I suggest getting a pair under $50 to start with so you can discover your trimming habits. No point in buying a really expensive pair if you keep going to the salon for a trim every 6 weeks and you don't dust.