4b/ 4c Naturals Growth Thread

Cattypus1

All loced up...
The coils are very small in diameter and in some spots my hair is only kinky and doesn't coil at all. I'm chin length at the front, past APL at my ear, and BSL at the nape. I have high shrinkage.

At night I put my hair in a bonnet or tie down with a scarf. Doing so smashes all my hair together, but it doesn't tangle. Unfortunately I haven't figured out how to make a WNG last more than 1 day. So I only wear the scarf or bonnet to protect my ends from my cotton pillow.

I get no crunch on my WNG and it is pretty defined at the ends. The roots are not as defined and are more kinky straight (maybe because I haven't reached max hydration yet). Each day my hair seems to coil more but that could be my imagination.

Today I used APB ultra conditioning soufflé to cowash and detangle with fingers. Then I added Oyin Hair Dew for leave-in. Then I added Wetline Xtreme gel. This was a great combo- no flakes and no crunch, and my hair seems to stay moisturized.

I think it's about technique more than products though. I do everything in the shower. It's quicker and still as effective.
We are about the same length and I have the exact problem with making it last more than one day. I’ve never used the Wetline gel or the Oyin Hair Dew. Until recently I was using clays and various other powders to cleanse but I have gray that I’m not interested in coloring and it had started to yellow. I used some silver shampoo to combat that. Now I’m trying to cleanse and deep condition on weekends. I cowash the first day after the weekend and the rest of the week I’m trying to water only rinse using only leave in, oil and gel.

fluffyforever

We are about the same length and I have the exact problem with making it last more than one day. I’ve never used the Wetline gel or the Oyin Hair Dew. Until recently I was using clays and various other powders to cleanse but I have gray that I’m not interested in coloring and it had started to yellow. I used some silver shampoo to combat that. Now I’m trying to cleanse and deep condition on weekends. I cowash the first day after the weekend and the rest of the week I’m trying to water only rinse using only leave in, oil and gel.
Hair twin?!?! That's good.

I really the Hair Dew on both wet and dry hair. I feel it's really moisturizing. Plus I can find it in stores! I stray away but I always come back.

I have to find another gel because I have the old formula of Wetline. I've used CRN curl maker in the past but it can be drying. I'm going to try UFD gel next after my Wetline runs out.

Cattypus1

All loced up...
Hair twin?!?! That's good.

I really the Hair Dew on both wet and dry hair. I feel it's really moisturizing. Plus I can find it in stores! I stray away but I always come back.

I have to find another gel because I have the old formula of Wetline. I've used CRN curl maker in the past but it can be drying. I'm going to try UFD gel next after my Wetline runs out.
I have been using the Main Choice biotin gel for WNGs. It’s a little pricey buy I get the best results with it. I have tried everything under the sun, except Wetline of course.

snoop

My extra moisturized hair tonight before I get to bed. I haven't deep conditioned in over a month and my hair is extremely soft still. Hair is in six chunky braid/twists. (There's two twists in the front that are not shown)

What do you normally deep condition with?

Ipanema

I'm still using oil sheen daily. I think i found a good style to beat the heat and humidity. Individual box braids at the roots for about an inch, leave the rest loose, and then braid the very ends. This is on stretched hair. It keeps the hair tame and tangle-free no matter how puffy it decides to get. My scalp gets cool air flow. I can stretch it out by twisting it into a top bun while showering or sleeping. I think people think it's fake.

LdyKamz

Can I join this thread? I got a terrible haircut 2 months ago and now that my sides and back are starting to grow back I'm going to get serious about growing this mess out. I'm mostly 4b with the very back a little looser and a weird unidentified spot in the middle. Sometimes the middle is looser, sometimes it's more shrunken. I can't figure it out but it is always more frizzy and dry than the rest of my hair and never holds whatever style I'm wearing. If I wear a wash and go that spot will be frizzy and less defined. If I do a rod set or bantu knot out that spot won't hold the curl and will eventually frizz and droop before the end of day 1. I always have to add more product to that spot. So this time around I want to make sure I get a handle on that spot. I also have regular nape problems but since my back and sides were shaved with the haircut I think I'm starting with a good base and will make sure I do right by my nape this time.

Because of the way the stylist cut my hair, the only way I figured I could wear it was straight in the pixie cut. Since the sides have grown back and I don't need to straighten to cover the shaved sides now I have been trying to use perm rods. But maybe I'll switch to flexi rods since I remember from an old hair analysis that the rods were causing some sort of ridges or dents in my hair. I'm thinking about a new regimen and all I know is I am going to be deep conditioning A LOT alternating moisture and protein. I also want to start oiling my scalp regularly with NJoy's growth oil and see how that works out. Also, sealing heavily so that I don't have to moisturize and restyle so often. I'm sad because it's basically like I involuntarily big chopped but I'm excited to start my hair journey over.

fluffyforever

When I'm not doing a WNG, I wear protective styles. My favorites are rolled bun styles (ends tucked and hidden) that I can wear more than one day without restyling in the morning. I find I can last 3 days before the outer layer of my hair starts to feel dry or look frizzy. Hopefully this low manipulation helps my ends.

NowIAmNappy

I'd like to join this thread as well. I consider myself mostly 4c with fine strands of hair. I've been natural now for quite some time and I usually cut every three years. I'm growing my hair back ou again. Here's some pics and my IG is in my signature if you're want to see more pics

Attachments

• IMG_0467.JPG
    IMG_0467.JPG
    533.8 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0523.JPG
    IMG_0523.JPG
    220.7 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0601.JPG
    IMG_0601.JPG
    960.3 KB · Views: 75

LdyKamz

I have been sealing my hair with vatika oil while it is soaking wet. That leaves my hair pretty soft for days but I ordered some shea butter and am going to start experimenting with that once it gets here. This stage is the hardest part for me. I need to work on patience.

SAPNK

Question for long haired ladies that do long term protective styles like crochet or braids,
how to do stretch and detangle your hair enough to easily part and braid your hair? I just put in some crochet braids, and I used a comb dryer to stretch my hair. There was quite a bit of smoke and it seemed very damaging. Makes me wonder if I'm defeating the purpose of the protective style.

Cattypus1

All loced up...
Question for long haired ladies that do long term protective styles like crochet or braids,
how to do stretch and detangle your hair enough to easily part and braid your hair? I just put in some crochet braids, and I used a comb dryer to stretch my hair. There was quite a bit of smoke and it seemed very damaging. Makes me wonder if I'm defeating the purpose of the protective style.
I’d love to know that same thing. I’m so scared of heat damage.

snoop

I am not one of these people, but would drying on cool help? I remember at some point that was a thing...

LdyKamz

Yesterday I clarified my hair then used a moisturizing shampoo. It was strange because my hair didn't feel stripped after I clarified but once I used the moisturizing shampoo my hair felt almost squeaky clean. Like I could almost hear that squeak noise while I was touching my hair lol

Then I used Joico Revitaluxe protein conditioner. I only left it on for 5 minutes but my hair felt really nice and smooth after. After that I used Joico Moisture Recovery Balm and sat under the dryer for 15 minutes. My hair felt like heaven after. I'm paying closer attention to the feel of my hair so I can make sure I do things right this time around.

After all of that I did a twist and curl with flexi rods on the end. I did it on soaking wet hair and used my shea butter mix with just a little bit of eco style gel on the end. I sat under the dryer and on take down my hair felt just a little greasy but was shiny even though I thought maybe I could see a little bit of gray cast in certain spots. I shrugged it off and decided maybe I won't use the gel next time and started thinking about what else to use for hold.

But this morning changed my mind! I slept with my hair loose under a bonnet since it's still short. I took my bonnet off and just ran my hands over my hair. Super shiny, super soft like silk and very fluffy. I just ran my hands through and called it a day. Didn't need to moisturize or do anything at all to it. I'm happy this was a success. Now today I'm going to massage with my NJoy growth oil and hopefully my hair won't get too oily.

TeeMBL

Lurker

When I had braids (I just ended my 2.5 year braid journey last weekend) I redid them each month. I de-tangled my hair after the DC and air dried in twists pulled into a bun, then I would braid my hair the next day after it dried. My DC made sure it was super soft and manageable, and my twists kept my hair stretched. For my parts I used with my fingers to create the parts and only used a comb to straighten them.

Ipanema

When out & about, I get the most compliments on my hair when it's frizzy, wild, and in desperate need of a shampoo. I think I'm going to keep the box braid style for the whole summer. The flat iron is a waste of time now that it is so hot and humid outside. I actually want to keep the same braids at the roots for the whole summer, washing & conditioning the hair in the braids and everything. I hope it works.

In the past, I would just moisturize and let the hair air-dry in tight plaits.

faithVA

I'm getting a little closer to knowing how to moisturize my hair but it still consists of using some sort of glycerin. Without glycerin my hair doesn't seem to stand a chance.

Last wash day, Friday, I tried something new. I DCd overnight with Kerastase Resistance Mask. After rinsing I drenched my hair with diluted leave-in. I then blow dried my hair on low with the tension method without drying the ends. I took sections, applied a glycerin spray, Mane Choice Daily Moisturizer and CD Honey Mimosa. I then put in flat twist. That seemed to work fine.

Since I wasn't sure if it was moisturized enough I took down each section, spritzed with the glycerin spray, applied more Daily Moisturizer and used CD Honey Mimosa on the ends. I made sure I spritzed my scalp which seems to help immensely. I will spritz and oil my scalp later tonight. Then I put in cornrows which is a first for me. I will try to do more cornrows to have more practice. I also want to see if they hold up better when I work out.

Next wash day, I will try putting perm rods on the end and drying my hair under the dryer for 30 minutes to see how that works and then finishing from their.

FadingDelilah

I want to go on a protective style challenge for the next six months to see what happens. I'm also tired of my hairs shortness right now so I want extensions so I can actually feel good about myself for once :rolleyes:

I'm curious. How long is your hair after 2.5 years of braids? :eek: @TeeMBL

LdyKamz

I have been using that NJoy growth oil for a week and somehow my sides are long enough to twist now. I am not imagining things. When I twisted my hair on Sunday I could barely grab the sides and now I can put them in little twists. Can the oil really work that fast? Or would my hair have been able to do this today even without the oil? I don't know but I am going to keep using the oil and hopefully my sides and nape come back 1000%. I'm so excited! Curse that damn girl for shaving my head!

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
I don't want to wash my hair, I don't want to comb it, I don't want to re-twist it and I don't care about it, just for this week I guess. I feel blah.

You know what .....it really does take a longer time to do when it's longer. It hit me about two months ago. I'm like "why am I still standing up in this bathroom mirror detangling after an hour and 40 minutes?" I use to be able to sit on the couch and watch Tv while detangling, but now I have to see what I'm doing. "Longer hair care".

There's more hair in my comb (because the shed hairs are longer so it looks like more strands).

What's it going be like in a couple of months? It'll be a couple more minutes standing, reaching, stretching, twisting, whipping my neck and a few more minutes of thanking the Good Lord for all this hair. I wouldn't trade it.
And detangling is STILL INSTENCE AT 20" OF 4B hair. Almost at a whole year later.

I still wouldn't trade it.

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
I have been using that NJoy growth oil for a week and somehow my sides are long enough to twist now. I am not imagining things. When I twisted my hair on Sunday I could barely grab the sides and now I can put them in little twists. Can the oil really work that fast? Or would my hair have been able to do this today even without the oil? I don't know but I am going to keep using the oil and hopefully my sides and nape come back 1000%. I'm so excited! Curse that damn girl for shaving my head!
Where can I order? I remember Njoy!!! Love her.