4b/ 4c Naturals Growth Thread

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.
I’m here too lol. I’m 4 something, although I’m pretty sure I’m mostly 4b with some 4a and probably some 4 c scattered around. Here’s an old texture shot from one of my many hair chops and regrows lol

And here’s a picture of my old ‘fro

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.
Darn, I forgot to add this in my previous post, but I don’t feel like editing. I think as long as what I’m doing hair wise works for my hair once it gets longer, I should be able to have minimal knots and jacked up ends. My biggest nemesis is laziness. Lordt. I need to pray on this if I’m gonna actively grow my hair.

metro_qt

IMG_20180602_070720_095.jpg IMG_20180602_062738_516.jpg

I'm joining this thread because I got my first hair cut 2 weeks ago. A Deva cut, from the curly hair salon.

She said my hair was 4b.
I was surprised, because I thought I was 3c/4a, because of coils and clumpage.

I then worked a hairstyling event the same week, and the head hairstylist of Garnier Canada also stated that my hair is a 4b. (I'm not certain how much experience he has with black hair though)

But who am I to say if these 2 'experts' one of which who did my hair say that I'm a 4b?

Any thoughts and insight are welcome.
I am interested in finding my hair twin so that I can share product recommendations and try new things.

ETA: I was waistlength natural until Sept. and then I chopped it all off. I've worn my hair in a wash n go for the last 8 months. I'm very 'product-lazy' ...shampoo/condition/leave in/gel.

I just remembered to add the pic of the salon 'curl care plan' where the stylist circled that I am 4b type with super curly hair. Just for reference.

Last edited:

NowIAmNappy

Hey ladies, just sharing how I use bentonite clay and rhassoul clay in my hair regimen. I've used these products off and on for 10 years and have come full circle this past year using them regularly. I really find them to be extremely helpful in detangling and growing my hair from my last cut.

Check out the video if you're interested

LdyKamz

I can't tell if my hair is really doing well or if I'm just paying closer attention to it and loving it.

Yesterday I did my full wash day since I was too lazy to do it on Sunday. I used the scalp detox from NJoy first. I didn't particularly like it. Not sure if it is supposed to lather or what it should do but I used it 3 times and I still ended up having to shampoo 2x after. I deep conditioned with Deva Curls's Heaven in Hair. I liked it the last couple times I used it but this time my hair didn't feel as spectacular as it did last time. Sucks too because I just bought another jar of this stuff. Maybe I'll add some glycerin to it? Or maybe some shea butter? I'll try one of the 2 on the next moisture wash. I spritzed my hair after with rosewater and glycerin after since I'm out of my it's a 10 miracle leave in and sealed with shea butter while I styled.

In spite of the less than stellar wash day my hair looks and feels good. I didn't use anything for hold but my hair is holding the curl even in this bi polar arse weather, is soft, shiny and looking full. I am going to massage the njoy growth oil in tonight - I've been doing great with consistency on this so far. My ends still look good but the end of the month is the scheduled time for a trim. Let's see how they look by then.

LdyKamz

My protein wash days are so much better than my moisture wash days and I really need to figure something out to make both a success. On Sunday I did my wash routine (protein week). I tried the detox again and I liked it a little better this time. I'm not sure how often I should use this stuff but this is only my second time using it and I really want to make sure my scalp gets clean so I might use it again next wash day and then go down to 1x a month.

This time I used Joico Reconstructor which I used to love but I didn't like it this time. I went over it with Joico's Revitaluxe which my hair is loving this time around. Last time I bought this my hair didn't really feel different one way or the other. So strange how your hair can change like that. I went over that with Joico Moisture Recovery Balm. I was worried my hair would suffer because I used both the reconstructor and the revitaliuxe so I went heavy with the DC. I sat under the dryer for 15 minutes and after I rinsed I had soft, shiny, springy coils even in the front/bangs area where my hair always looks looser and stretched.

I did my bantu knot out with shea butter and I'm liking just using the shea butter as a 2-in-1 sealant and styler. But depending on how late I do my hair on a Sunday, I notice that Mondays I'm usually a hot, greasy mess until the shea butter starts to really sink in and get absorbed by my hair throughout the week. It only takes about a day or 2 but still that first day I feel greasy all over. I'm going to cowash tomorrow with Aussie Moist and this time do a perm rod set. I think I will use a little bit of gel to offset some of the grease. I haven't needed to use gel for hold since my curls are holding just fine with shea butter alone but maybe these 2 things mixed together will be a power house. Less grease from the butter and less crunch from the gel. I'll be back to report tomorrow.

Ipanema

I got caught in an unexpected rain storm a few days ago. I had to walk about a quarter of a mile to get to my car, so I was very wet. My hair shrank, and I'm surprised that I actually like it a little bit. It's bouncy. I've always been afraid of shrunken hair, but with it being waist-length, the shrunken length looks kind of cute. It's also still tame because the roots are box-braided, and the ends are twisted.

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
I have been using that NJoy growth oil for a week and somehow my sides are long enough to twist now. I am not imagining things. When I twisted my hair on Sunday I could barely grab the sides and now I can put them in little twists. Can the oil really work that fast? Or would my hair have been able to do this today even without the oil? I don't know but I am going to keep using the oil and hopefully my sides and nape come back 1000%. I'm so excited! Curse that damn girl for shaving my head!
Are your side's longer since this last post 15 days ago? I love good growth aides!

LdyKamz

@I Am So Blessed yep! So much so that I can see how much faster one side grows than the other. The only part that seems to be struggling is a very small section in the back on my left side. I'm going to spend the week and massage that side twice a day instead of once like everywhere else and see if that helps any.

Now my problem is, I've been using the oil all over my head and the rest of my hair has grown out a little too so it still looks weird. I'm going to trim at the end of the month and see if I can shape it a little bit.

Eta: I should probably be taking pictures but I'm so lazy and the nape is such a hard spot to photograph. I'll do my best and post them if the pics come out ok

Last edited:

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
@I Am So Blessed yep! So much so that I can see how much faster one side grows than the other. The only part that seems to be struggling is a very small section in the back on my left side. I'm going to spend the week and massage that side twice a day instead of once like everywhere else and see if that helps any.

Now my problem is, I've been using the oil all over my head and the rest of my hair has grown out a little too so it still looks weird. I'm going to trim at the end of the month and see if I can shape it a little bit.

Eta: I should probably be taking pictures but I'm so lazy and the nape is such a hard spot to photograph. I'll do my best and post them if the pics come out ok
Thank you, hey I know all about hard angles plus laziness so don't bother with the pics lol I trust your word! Thanks for this review!

LdyKamz

So I doctored up Deva Curls Heaven in Hair with a squirt of glycerin and some drops of argan oil. The slip it gave me while I was applying to my hair was out of this world. I didn't need to use a comb since my hair just kind of melted and detangled easily. I put a plastic bag on my head and did some house work because it was too hot to sit under the dryer. When I rinsed it out I felt like I still had conditioner in my hair because it felt so soft. I rinsed well and for a while because I wanted to make sure I got it all out.

My hair is normally a dusty brown but looked really dark when I was done which only happens when my hair is at maximum moisture. I didn't put anything else in my hair but sectioned it while soaking wet and applied my shea butter mix to each section. So now my hair is in 6 sections and I'll style tomorrow.

If I had some silk protein that conditioner would have really been good. Got me thinking about making something of my own to experiment with.

LdyKamz

Y'all it was so hot today that when I got home I got in the shower and just put my head under the cool water. I just did my hair yesterday! It was holding up well even in this humidity. I was just so hot. I remember a few years back when I big chopped for the 2nd time it was summer time and I was wetting my hair everyday. My hair seems to like that and I wish I could do that now but I haven't done wash and gos in so long I don't know how to make them presentable. Now I have to spend the rest of the night restyling and hope tomorrow it isn't as hot. FML

Cattypus1

All loced up...
So I doctored up Deva Curls Heaven in Hair with a squirt of glycerin and some drops of argan oil. The slip it gave me while I was applying to my hair was out of this world. I didn't need to use a comb since my hair just kind of melted and detangled easily. I put a plastic bag on my head and did some house work because it was too hot to sit under the dryer. When I rinsed it out I felt like I still had conditioner in my hair because it felt so soft. I rinsed well and for a while because I wanted to make sure I got it all out.

My hair is normally a dusty brown but looked really dark when I was done which only happens when my hair is at maximum moisture. I didn't put anything else in my hair but sectioned it while soaking wet and applied my shea butter mix to each section. So now my hair is in 6 sections and I'll style tomorrow.

If I had some silk protein that conditioner would have really been good. Got me thinking about making something of my own to experiment with.
I might have to try that recipe because I’ve been unimpressed with HIH. Thanks for that.

faithVA

What rinse out conditioners are you ladies loving? I was doing my hair tonight and realized that I don't have any conditioner :perplexed: Not sure how that happened.

LdyKamz

Did a wash and go today and I haven't worn my hair like this is so long it feels strange. I don't hate it but I don't love it either. And anyway I don't think I can wear my hair like this if I want to retain length. I am just imagining all the tangles in the longer parts of my hair right now. When I rinse my hair tonight or tomorrow morning I'll be able to tell how good or bad this will be for my hair.

metro_qt

Did a wash and go today and I haven't worn my hair like this is so long it feels strange. I don't hate it but I don't love it either. And anyway I don't think I can wear my hair like this if I want to retain length. I am just imagining all the tangles in the longer parts of my hair right now. When I rinse my hair tonight or tomorrow morning I'll be able to tell how good or bad this will be for my hair.
How long is your hair?

I currently wash and go year round (it's only been a year)
But I'm wondering what happens when my hair gets longer.

What should I expect?

How do you normally wear your hair now that it's longer?

LdyKamz

How long is your hair?

I currently wash and go year round (it's only been a year)
But I'm wondering what happens when my hair gets longer.

What should I expect?

How do you normally wear your hair now that it's longer?

My hair is still short. It was cut while straight into a pixie about 2 months ago and the front is longer than the back giving me a tapered twa when curly. In the twa phase when my hair is all one length I can wash and go easily but once my hair starts getting longer it's usually a no for me. The front of my hair is about to the tip of my nose and it hangs more but is a looser texture - more wavy than coily - so it looks different from the rest of my hair. I'm not so worried about the back but the top and middle may or may not tangle something terrible at this length and longer for me. I'm going to hope for the best when I rinse out tomorrow.

I usually wear my hair in bantu knot outs and perm rod sets. When my hair is about neck length I start to go for my 2 braids more often since they are so cute and easy.

NowIAmNappy

I just finished the Taliah Waajid Repair and Restore Masque and I love it! I’m going to buy it again. I’ve been previously using the shea Moisture High Porosity which I loved but wanted to try something different.
Also been wearing this bomb twistout all week.

Attachments

• 50F33D21-2638-4C04-9E47-08B9DB2FDAF7.jpeg
    50F33D21-2638-4C04-9E47-08B9DB2FDAF7.jpeg
    248.4 KB · Views: 49