4b/ 4c Naturals Growth Thread

GGsKin

@AbsyBlvd i was checking out your pics and your hair really looks like mine. My wet coils look looser because of the Chi but I'll bet without the Chi my hair would look like yours. I love your coils. I'm keeping my eye on you, I'll bet I can learn something. What styler do you use?

I remember your hair from the MHM thread. We do share similarities. I think yours is more coily (Os) than mine and you have a little more shine/ sheen. I tend not to use a leave-in. I always use diluted KCCC. I've experimented with others; As I Am curling custard, Beautiful Textures smh, Alikay Aloe berry, Ouidad Climate Control smdh, but diluted KCCC does me right every time.

GGsKin

@Ipanema it's Maximum Hydration Method (thanks for posting a link @Cattypus1). After following Pinke Cube's method, and then Dubai Dee's modified version, I don't do the posted regimen anymore but my whole routine still has the same structure; rinse and/or DC, clay, gel. I throw in the occasional shampoo or pre-poo, or rice water rinse and henna.

nothidden

TeamNatural95-Fractals/Zigzags
Hola! This thread would have been nice when I joined a couple of years ago...anyway...

While I usually describe my hair in curly girl method terms of fractals and zigzags, in terms of 'typing' I am mostly 4c with 4b here and there. At this time, I do see some curl clumping w/o product, but for the most part I'm sporting a 'fro. I believe when I started growing my hair I was mostly low porosity, but I believe I've graduated to mostly normal porosity as it doesn't take as long for my hair to become saturated any more. As far as length, my nape stretches to my bra strap and the rest is between that and the top of ear. Shrinking, as you can imagine, is intense, but I sooooooo embrace it. I think of my length as my little secret :)

When I began growing my hair out in 2014 I was wearing a closely barbered cut. After experimenting with the baggy method to moisturize and condition my dry hair and clay for cleansing, I tried MHM for about a year. I got good results as far as curl definition was concerned while it was short, but as my hair grew, the steps became a pain. I began working out a lot and having vegan protein smoothies w/spirulina and chlorela; I also began taking daily vitamins. I feel like everything came together in September of 2015 because after having a DevaCut that month, I experienced a noticeable growth spurt (a co-worker could not stop commenting on it). At that time I was more focused on overall health and I think that was the game changer for me (as I believe it can be for most of us).

My only issue w/my hair is detangling. While this weekend's session wasn't that bad (I didn't even use a comb), I am tired of fussing w/root webbing and 'clingy' ends weeeeeek after weeeeeek after week. Wash day is a freakin' drag!! To the point of waking up Sunday morning's depressed just from thinking of it. I have trimmed my hair I believe 4 times since January but that hasn't helped. So the ultimate remedy for me is locg. While I've been wanting locs off and on for a while, I recently had an epiphany where I thought to myself, since it wants to tangle, let it, but in a uniform fashion. So now I'm just making sure my hair doesn't have any setbacks before getting my starters. A month ago my hair was lightened but I experienced NO change in texture and no damage from what I can tell. I know for some it loosens the curl pattern, but I got nothing out of this but lighter hair. Also, my hair felt just as moisturized as before, no dryness at all. I was going to add color, but I'm playing it safe and may do that in a year or so. Anyway, now I'm just playing the waiting game 'til I get my starters.

As far as getting my hair to grow, I've never had an issue w/hair growth as a natural, which is why I think I don't worry about it. Also, I am not chasing length. I am seriously in "let my hair do what it's gonna do" mode, so that keeps me from stressing over my hair for one. But overall, I really think my diet has a ton to do with it because hair is made from protein, and I feel my vegan protein drinks provide a healthy supply of all that I my hair needs.

SAPNK

Hola! This thread would have been nice when I joined a couple of years ago...anyway...

While I usually describe my hair in curly girl method terms of fractals and zigzags, in terms of 'typing' I am mostly 4c with 4b here and there. At this time, I do see some curl clumping w/o product, but for the most part I'm sporting a 'fro. I believe when I started growing my hair I was mostly low porosity, but I believe I've graduated to mostly normal porosity as it doesn't take as long for my hair to become saturated any more. As far as length, my nape stretches to my bra strap and the rest is between that and the top of ear. Shrinking, as you can imagine, is intense, but I sooooooo embrace it. I think of my length as my little secret :)

When I began growing my hair out in 2014 I was wearing a closely barbered cut. After experimenting with the baggy method to moisturize and condition my dry hair and clay for cleansing, I tried MHM for about a year. I got good results as far as curl definition was concerned while it was short, but as my hair grew, the steps became a pain. I began working out a lot and having vegan protein smoothies w/spirulina and chlorela; I also began taking daily vitamins. I feel like everything came together in September of 2015 because after having a DevaCut that month, I experienced a noticeable growth spurt (a co-worker could not stop commenting on it). At that time I was more focused on overall health and I think that was the game changer for me (as I believe it can be for most of us).

My only issue w/my hair is detangling. While this weekend's session wasn't that bad (I didn't even use a comb), I am tired of fussing w/root webbing and 'clingy' ends weeeeeek after weeeeeek after week. Wash day is a freakin' drag!! To the point of waking up Sunday morning's depressed just from thinking of it. I have trimmed my hair I believe 4 times since January but that hasn't helped. So the ultimate remedy for me is locg. While I've been wanting locs off and on for a while, I recently had an epiphany where I thought to myself, since it wants to tangle, let it, but in a uniform fashion. So now I'm just making sure my hair doesn't have any setbacks before getting my starters. A month ago my hair was lightened but I experienced NO change in texture and no damage from what I can tell. I know for some it loosens the curl pattern, but I got nothing out of this but lighter hair. Also, my hair felt just as moisturized as before, no dryness at all. I was going to add color, but I'm playing it safe and may do that in a year or so. Anyway, now I'm just playing the waiting game 'til I get my starters.

As far as getting my hair to grow, I've never had an issue w/hair growth as a natural, which is why I think I don't worry about it. Also, I am not chasing length. I am seriously in "let my hair do what it's gonna do" mode, so that keeps me from stressing over my hair for one. But overall, I really think my diet has a ton to do with it because hair is made from protein, and I feel my vegan protein drinks provide a healthy supply of all that I my hair needs.

I'm glad you're finding what works for you. I can feel your content and I love it!

snoop

I’m 4c and a cottony texture. I’m also a slow grower. My hair loves to shrink with moisture, but I don’t mind. I’m grazing WL at the longest layer. I’m hoping to claim by the end of the year. My long term goal is now classic length. Since I don’t use heat to stretch, I figured more length would get me closer to APL with a regular twist out.

When I did the Komaza Care hair analysis a couple of years ago I was normal with high-po in the damaged areas. I think that my porosity has changed since I started my journey. Before, my hair was never able to hold moisture and I’ve found that over the last 6 months to a year my hair can hold it pretty well. After the Komaza analysis I started using their protein treatment and that probably accounts for my hair’s ability to hold moisture better.

Generally I live in two-strand twists – primarily because I’m style challenged. As I mentioned above wearing loose hair, unless straightened will result in tangled ends by the end of day two so I avoid them unless it’s for an event or a when I’m doing a through wash session. I usually keep the twists in for two weeks, especially if they’re mini. If they’re bigger I might refresh them after a week or so.

I’ve found that my hair doesn’t like to be squeaky clean. Last year I dabbled with water only rinses/washes and I think that all these years it has been sebum that has been keeping my hair healthy and thriving. Over the years, I’d find that there was a bit of “residue”/film on my scalp after weekly washes – but I didn’t mind since my hair wouldn’t be dry or brittle unlike previous times of being natural. I primarily wash with clay or I use a mild shampoo. I also follow up with conditioner.

SAPNK

I’m 4c and a cottony texture. I’m also a slow grower. My hair loves to shrink with moisture, but I don’t mind. I’m grazing WL at the longest layer. I’m hoping to claim by the end of the year. My long term goal is now classic length. Since I don’t use heat to stretch, I figured more length would get me closer to APL with a regular twist out.

When I did the Komaza Care hair analysis a couple of years ago I was normal with high-po in the damaged areas. I think that my porosity has changed since I started my journey. Before, my hair was never able to hold moisture and I’ve found that over the last 6 months to a year my hair can hold it pretty well. After the Komaza analysis I started using their protein treatment and that probably accounts for my hair’s ability to hold moisture better.

Generally I live in two-strand twists – primarily because I’m style challenged. As I mentioned above wearing loose hair, unless straightened will result in tangled ends by the end of day two so I avoid them unless it’s for an event or a when I’m doing a through wash session. I usually keep the twists in for two weeks, especially if they’re mini. If they’re bigger I might refresh them after a week or so.

I’ve found that my hair doesn’t like to be squeaky clean. Last year I dabbled with water only rinses/washes and I think that all these years it has been sebum that has been keeping my hair healthy and thriving. Over the years, I’d find that there was a bit of “residue”/film on my scalp after weekly washes – but I didn’t mind since my hair wouldn’t be dry or brittle unlike previous times of being natural. I primarily wash with clay or I use a mild shampoo. I also follow up with conditioner.

Yay. You're doing great. I wish there was something that could help you wear your hair out more often.

Cattypus1

All loced up...
That's what I think it is.
I know I have struggled to find ladies with hair like mine. I'm a hair freak and I'm always on YouTube looking for long haired naturals with 4b-c hair. I'm always checking out ladies around me irl. Those that look like they might be 4b-c are wearing unkempt fros which is not my preference or are wearing extensions or braids or something which also is not my preference. I'm actually considering some kind of braids with enough additional hair so that my fine hair doesn't look anemic when I go on vacation in a couple of months. I have avoided styling with any other hair but my own for personal reasons, I just couldn't do it. I don't want to spend my entire vacation doing my hair or looking crazy. I have really struggled to look "dressed up". I'm a work in progress. Thanks for starting this thread.

SAPNK

I know I have struggled to find ladies with hair like mine. I'm a hair freak and I'm always on YouTube looking for long haired naturals with 4b-c hair. I'm always checking out ladies around me irl. Those that look like they might be 4b-c are wearing unkempt fros which is not my preference or are wearing extensions or braids or something which also is not my preference. I'm actually considering some kind of braids with enough additional hair so that my fine hair doesn't look anemic when I go on vacation in a couple of months. I have avoided styling with any other hair but my own for personal reasons, I just couldn't do it. I don't want to spend my entire vacation doing my hair or looking crazy. I have really struggled to look "dressed up". I'm a work in progress. Thanks for starting this thread.

Your welcome!
Yeah. I'm subscribed to any long hair 4b/c girl I can find, lol. And I don't think you should have to worry about your hair while on vacation. It would ruin your relaxation, and don't get me started on swimming (if you swim). Go for it with the braids but if there's too much hair in each braid, or the parts are too small (so you can have more braids and a fuller look), then that might cause some problems with the weight on your fine strands. It's a trade off. Could you wig it or weave it, or is that not your thing?

Cattypus1

All loced up...
Your welcome!
Yeah. I'm subscribed to any long hair 4b/c girl I can find, lol. And I don't think you should have to worry about your hair while on vacation. It would ruin your relaxation, and don't get me started on swimming (if you swim). Go for it with the braids but if there's too much hair in each braid, or the parts are too small (so you can have more braids and a fuller look), then that might cause some problems with the weight on your fine strands. It's a trade off. Could you wig it or weave it, or is that not your thing?
Not my thing...wigs or weaves. I do swim so I'm gonna have get some super k grow so it can be butt length by July LOL...The braids are not out of the question but not my first choice. I don't want anything that looks fake.

snoop

Yay. You're doing great. I wish there was something that could help you wear your hair out more often.

Based on my current lifestyle (SAHM + home body) I find that I don't need to wear my hair out. I need to learn nite styling techniques though, like flat twists.

I've lived most of my life natural and most of it thinking my hair wouldn't get past CBL. One thing I've always enjoyed was it's ability to shrink down to nothing.

I'd have more styling options if I weren't afraid to use a comb. :look:

beingofserenity

I'd like to join this thread.

I am a 4b/a/c. Lol. I don't know. I always called it 4b, but my hair can achieve clump and coilage.

Right now I am wearing crochet braids and hope to protective style for the rest of this year to achieve maximum growth. I plan on protecting style for the majority of the year until my hair is long enough where it's not a struggle to style it in something other than a bun or a straight style.

I really would like to be able to do some sort of wash n goish thing, but I'm not sure. Maybe a wash and brush thing??? I'm not sure, but I know I want to be able to wash frequently (2-3 times a week), because I work out, and look gorgeous without spending more than 30 mins on my hair haha.

I've found that the more moisture in my hair the better able it is to clump (without gel), so I'm going to use this time of protective style to infuse my hair with tons of moisture.

SAPNK

I'd like to join this thread.

I am a 4b/a/c. Lol. I don't know. I always called it 4b, but my hair can achieve clump and coilage.

Right now I am wearing crochet braids and hope to protective style for the rest of this year to achieve maximum growth. I plan on protecting style for the majority of the year until my hair is long enough where it's not a struggle to style it in something other than a bun or a straight style.

I really would like to be able to do some sort of wash n goish thing, but I'm not sure. Maybe a wash and brush thing??? I'm not sure, but I know I want to be able to wash frequently (2-3 times a week), because I work out, and look gorgeous without spending more than 30 mins on my hair haha.

I've found that the more moisture in my hair the better able it is to clump (without gel), so I'm going to use this time of protective style to infuse my hair with tons of moisture.

My hair doesn't clump really. I gave up on wash n gos. I kept trying and trying because it bothered me that my hair couldn't do something that other people's could. It seems like the most natural thing you can do. Just wash and go. But I guess I can do it if I want to , I just shouldn't, so I won't.

When you try it, don't forget to post some pics!

niknakmac

I'm 4b and currently at apl. I cut my hair recently up to shoulder length but it grew back in about two months so I am just going to keep rolling with it and see if I can get it to bsl. I pretty much rotate between 2 hairstyles. Those are twists and twist outs. Occasionally I throw in a wash and gel (I refuse to call it a wash n go bc it is major work for me).
When I do the wash and gel I only get about 4 days out of it before it is a huge fro and the only way to work with it after that is to wash it. This is probably the main reason why I rarely use this style. I really don't have the free time to be washing my hair during the week. I wear my twists for 3 or 4 days and wear a twist out the remainder of the week wash and repeat.

I have used mainly Sm in the past specifically the JBCO and Shea butter lines. So I am in the market for new products.

I have tried the Deva Curl Decadence No poo and conditioner and i liked them both. My hair felt moisturized the whole week. Honestly I was surprised and impressed but the price....idk

I think I am going to try Soultanicals and Tropic Isle Living and see how those work out. I would like to stick with natural hair products.

Let's talk about shea butter...I have been seeing stylists telling people not to use shea butter on their hair but for me shea butter is a life saver I cannot see myself not using it. It really locks in moisture. Is this no shea just for other hair types or are they just against it period?

I still use a comb but only on wash days. I tried the no comb life but I felt like my got way too tangled.

Last edited:

steph0105

I'm 4b and currently at apl. I cut my hair recently up to shoulder length but it grew back in about two months so I am just going to keep rolling with it and see if I can get it to bsl. I pretty much rotate between 2 hairstyles. Those are twists and twist outs. Occasionally I throw in a wash and gel (I refuse to call it a wash n go bc it is major work for me).
When I do the wash and gel I only get about 4 days out of it before it is a huge fro and the only way to work with it after that is to wash it. This is probably the main reason why I rarely use this style. I really don't have the free time to be washing my hair during the week. I wear my twists for 3 or 4 days and wear a twist out the remainder of the week wash and repeat.

I have used mainly Sm in the past specifically the JBCO and Shea butter lines. So I am in the market for new products.

I have tried the Deva Curl Decadence No poo and conditioner and i liked them both. My hair felt moisturized the whole week. Honestly I was surprised and impressed but the price....idk

I think I am going to try Soultanicals and Tropic Isle Living and see how those work out. I would like to stick with natural hair products.

Let's talk about shea butter...I have been seeing stylists telling people not to use shea butter on their hair but for me shea butter is a life saver I cannot see myself not using it. It really locks in moisture. Is this no she just for other hair types or are they just against it period?

I still use a comb but only on wash days. I tried the no comb life but I felt like my got way too tangled.
My product stash consisted of mostly Shea Moisture products. They worked well for my hair. I'll stick to my Oyin Handmade for now. I know Entwine was having a live conversation on FB about Shea Butter called Shea Dryness but I didn't participate. I would like to know why stylists are so against shea butter now. I love shea butter as a sealant for my hair.

SAPNK

Let's talk about shea butter...I have been seeing stylists telling people not to use shea butter on their hair but for me shea butter is a life saver I cannot see myself not using it. It really locks in moisture. Is this no she just for other hair types or are they just against it period?

I remember reading something about shea butter being too heavy for fine strands which a lot of 4b/c people have. I'm not buying it though. Shea butter is the only thing that I can actually see doing something on my hair. But if you want to be safe, mango butter is an alternative.

Shea butter forever!:pulpdance:

SAPNK

Okay, so I'm thinking, besides conditioners (and maybe gel), I'm not buying any hair products for natural hair. I'll buy pure oils, butters, and whatever else, but I won't go overboard. This should be easy because I don't really buy much products anyway.

If I want a product, I'll make it, but only if it's quick and simple. I'm not running a factory here.

Next, after I straighten next week, I'm going to get more serious about protective styling. I think the main hindrance in my length retention is that I don't do well with protective styling, but I'm going to be consistent with it from now on. I think that the longer a style takes to put in, the longer it should last, or it isn't worth the time.

Detangling isn't an issue for me right now. It doesn't take long, but that makes me think I'm not doing it right, lol. I'm hearing 3 hours and 2 days and I'm it's not happening. We'll see how that goes as my hair gets longer.

How long does it take all of you to detangle?

Crystalicequeen123

Hi everyone! :wave:

Okay so my goals are:
  • Longer hair (I want my hair to grow to lengths it has never been to before lol)
  • Thicker (or semi-thicker) hair :yep:
  • HEALTHY hair
  • A SIMPLER, less-time-consuming hair care regimen
  • Sticking to only ONE or two product lines that actually WORK for my hair, instead of product-hopping, or feeding into my PJ'ism. :nono:

My hair:
  • 4b/4c - My curls are defined, but I know I have some 4c hair up in here somewhere lol... :look:
  • Almost FULL APL right now
  • LOW-medium density
  • Fine - Prone to breakage, tangling, and ssks :ohwell:
  • Medium porosity - Not too low, not too high...Probably about right in the middle now that I've been using Terressentials Mud Wash

My Hair Battles:

• I HATE that my hair is fine, AND low-medium density. :wallbash: Twists and twist outs look scalpy on me.... :look: , my hair doesn't look really thick and "lush" unless I do specific things to it, and it's prone to breakage.
  • I HATE that I've been natural now since 2010, and my hair STILL has not reached longer than APL :nono:
  • The dry heat and hard water here is a challenge. :ohwell:

BIG No-Nos:
  • Allowing my hair to shrink
  • Wearing an afro :nono:
  • Wearing a wash-n-go for longer than a day :wallbash:
  • Not cleansing/rinsing my hair in the shower at least once a week
  • Using too much heat or using direct heat too often. :nono:
  • Too many extension braid styles/tension styles/tugging, etc. I need to really leave the added hair alone and just stick to my OWN hair for a change. Give my hair, and scalp a BREAK for a good year if I can. :yep:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

With that said, I've been going back to the BASICS.

I found that when I first BC'd over 6 years ago, I kept my regimen short and sweet, simple, and was cleansing my hair at LEAST once or twice a week. :yep: So I'm going back to that.

I have also started looking at Kimmaytube's videos for a hair "refresher course" (her videos are VERY informative), and for styling options. I LOVE Naptural85 and all, but sometimes a girl just wants something SIMPLE, quick, and easy lol. :lol: Some days I can be a Kitchen-tician, but a lot of times I just don't have the TIME to be mixing up stuff, and I find myself slacking off in even doing anything to my hair BECAUSE of that. Well...no more!

I am also going to be solely only using 2 product lines: Terreessentials Mud Wash (once every 2 months or so), and sticking primarily to Camille Rose Natural's hair care line because so far I'm in LOVE with her products! :love:

I will also be cleansing my hair (or at least moisturizing/spritzing) my hair at LEAST once a week (no questions asked). I don't care what style I have it it.

I am also giving my hair and scalp a break from weaves, wigs, blow drying, flat ironing, extension braids, or any type of "fake" hair in my hair for a good 6 months - a year. :yep:

Those are my goals!

Moisture, moisture, MOISTURE and protective styling is what I'm striving for this go-around. :up:

niknakmac

Okay, so I'm thinking, besides conditioners (and maybe gel), I'm not buying any hair products for natural hair. I'll buy pure oils, butters, and whatever else, but I won't go overboard. This should be easy because I don't really buy much products anyway.

If I want a product, I'll make it, but only if it's quick and simple. I'm not running a factory here.

Next, after I straighten next week, I'm going to get more serious about protective styling. I think the main hindrance in my length retention is that I don't do well with protective styling, but I'm going to be consistent with it from now on. I think that the longer a style takes to put in, the longer it should last, or it isn't worth the time.

Detangling isn't an issue for me right now. It doesn't take long, but that makes me think I'm not doing it right, lol. I'm hearing 3 hours and 2 days and I'm it's not happening. We'll see how that goes as my hair gets longer.

It doesn't take me long to detangle. I detangle in about 6 to 8 sections. I have never timed it but i would say about 15 to twenty minutes to come through everything. For me the key is using a good conditioner. Those SM masques literally melted my tangles. I hope i find even better products but those were pretty impressive.

Ipanema

I think kinks are the problem when trying to gain length on type 4 hair, or at least 4b hair. You have to make sure the growth rate exceeds the breakage rate. I don't have any curl pattern. No clumping. No coils. Just strands of hair with random kinks, waves, and bends. I've found that you must either reduce the kinks (by stretching) or reduce the manipulation of the kinks. Or both, which I think is ideal.

snoop

It takes me 3 hours and 2 days...:look:
Kidding.

Actually, sometimes it does take around 3 hours or 2 days, but I'm usually also installing two strand twists at the same time.

I pretty much only finger comb or finger detangle. Even for more formal styles. Every 3 to 4 months I'll do a thorough dangling session in three shower using Hercules Sägmann's 3comb smooth method. (Site currently under maintenance so I can't provide a link.) This gets all of the shed hair that I missed out, which ends up being a lot, as well as any webbing at the roots.

I don't worry that my hair isn't detangled fully every other time because I know that eventually I'll comb it out. As outs detangled enough for twists and braids then I'm good to go. I take care to remove any knots by hand and those that refuse too come out I cut out very carefully.

I read somewhere, ages ago, where the blogger just accepted her SSKs. Since that time I have too and focused on other aspects of my hair care and i feel like the number of knots just reduced themselves. If I find any I generally leave them alone. I think as my hair routine became more consistent (resulting in better hydrated hair and normal porosity) and my technique for handling my hair became more gentle, the knots started to disappear.

Since I only re-twist my hair every two weeks on average, the time spent to detangle is manageable.

nothidden

Let's talk about shea butter...I have been seeing stylists telling people not to use shea butter on their hair but for me shea butter is a life saver I cannot see myself not using it. It really locks in moisture. Is this no shea just for other hair types or are they just against it period?
I remember reading something about shea butter being too heavy for fine strands which a lot of 4b/c people have. I'm not buying it though. Shea butter is the only thing that I can actually see doing something on my hair. But if you want to be safe, mango butter is an alternative.

Shea butter forever!:pulpdance:
I gave up shea butter when I started using DevaCurl products. Yes they cost a bit more, but I cannot deny how moisturized my hair is, and that my hair is lighter and my curls are more defined. I contributed this to them not being weighed down by butter. I promptly gave away every product I had that contained shea butter.

Last edited:

nothidden

It takes me half an hour to 45 mins to finger detangle. I have to first load my hair with conditioner and allow it to sit on my hair for a bit (I still have some cheap, discontinued Tresemme' Naturals). Then I section and work on each, applying more conditioner and sometimes a little water as needed.

nothidden

I am also going to be solely only using 2 product lines: Terreessentials Mud Wash (once every 2 months or so), and sticking primarily to Camille Rose Natural's hair care line because so far I'm in LOVE with her products!
I gathered you're not a mixer and neither am I, but once I realized I could get a 5 lb bag of sodium bentonite clay for less than $8 from bulk apothecary, I stopped purchasing Terressentials. I do miss their scents, though :smile:

Crystalicequeen123

I gave up shea butter when I started using DevaCurl products. Yes they cost a bit more, but I cannot deny how moisturized my hair is, and that my hair is lighter and my curls are more defined. I contributed this to them not being weighed down by butter. I promptly gave away every product I had that contained shea butter.

Yea, I think shea butter works for some people, and maybe makes other people feel too weighed down. I think it just depends.

I realized that for me, while shea butter locks in moisture, I have to make sure not to use TOO much, otherwise, no moisture can get IN. It will lock the moisture alright, but unless I'm re-washing my hair and cleansing the shea butter OUT every 2 or 3 days, no moisture will be able to get in either...even if I'm spritzing my hair w/water lol.

So, when I learned that I can't be heavy-handed w/shea butter, I had much better results. :yep: I don't use shea butter ALL the time (my hair is fine-textured, and I've learned the hard way that LESS is actually more), and I actually don't really like products with shea butter added in already (maybe that's why the shea moisture care line never really worked well w/my hair), but I now know that if I do use shea butter on my hair, it will be on wet/damp hair with an OIL, and I will only use a very LITTLE amount.

I've heard of DevaCurl. Do you notice a huge difference w/your hair since using their products? Also, are their products all natural?

Girrrrl....don't make me go out and buy another line of products when I just said I was sticking to a SIMPLE regimen with only 2 product lines lol. :lachen:

Why oh why did I go to their website?? I just saw that DevaCurl is having a sale....

ALL of this for just $40!!!! :shocked:

http://www.devacurl.com/super-curly-moisture-oasis.html

It takes me half an hour to 45 mins to finger detangle. I have to first load my hair with conditioner and allow it to sit on my hair for a bit (I still have some cheap, discontinued Tresemme' Naturals). Then I section and work on each, applying more conditioner and sometimes a little water as needed.

Wow... You guys really detangle the hair. I usually just lightly detangle in the shower... :look:

Maybe this is why I'm not seeing the results I want :lol:

Is a super detangling session really necessary?? Just curious. Or can you get away w/not having a long detangling session if you just detangle in the shower under running water? I just don't remember my hair being detangled this much as a child.

I gathered you're not a mixer and neither am I, but once I realized I could get a 5 lb bag of sodium bentonite clay for less than $8 from bulk apothecary, I stopped purchasing Terressentials. I do miss their scents, though :smile:
Yes, I'm not really a mixer lol...I'm just so busy in my personal life (work full time, taking some courses right now, have a side hustle on TOP of my FT job, not to mention other personal obligations), so anything that can MINIMIZE the amount of time I spend having to do my wash day (which is already long to me anyway) is helpful.

But I do agree with you though. I'm sure mixing your own clay washes definitely saves money. :yep: I do mix a few recipes that have been suggested by Naptural85, so I have done some of them (I'm about to make my own African Black Soap shampoo thanks to her :yep: ), but I just can't be bothered to make EVERYTHING from scratch. That's why I like having a separate go-to hair-care line like Camille Rose Naturals that I can use on a regular basis when I want something quick and easy. :yep:

locabouthair

I have 4b/c hair with normal/coarse strands. People say my hair is thick but I think its medium density. I got a lot of breakage from manipulation from twistouts, going too long without trimming and wearing it out in a fro.

I mainly have been wearing my hair in two cornrows. I would like to wear twists but i think they would look better if my hair was longer.

I need to cut three inches due to the breakage which would limit my style options. :/

nothidden

I've heard of DevaCurl. Do you notice a huge difference w/your hair since using their products? Also, are their products all natural?

Girrrrl....don't make me go out and buy another line of products when I just said I was sticking to a SIMPLE regimen with only 2 product lines lol. :lachen:

Why oh why did I go to their website?? I just saw that DevaCurl is having a sale....

ALL of this for just $40!!!! :shocked:

http://www.devacurl.com/super-curly-moisture-oasis.html

Wow... You guys really detangle the hair. I usually just lightly detangle in the shower... :look:

Maybe this is why I'm not seeing the results I want :lol:

Is a super detangling session really necessary?? Just curious. Or can you get away w/not having a long detangling session if you just detangle in the shower under running water? I just don't remember my hair being detangled this much as a child.
Yeah, to me, DevaCurl's Decadence line is awesome. I was very surprised at how moisturizing it is. I can rinse most of the conditioner out and still have curl definition once dry. I also love their deep conditioner, Heaven in Hair. I'm not sure if DevaCurl is all natural or not, but it's formulated to be water soluble and not build up. I'm gonna miss it when I get my starter locs.

Can't get away from my clay. It is awesome. The only thing I've mixed for quite some time.

Yeah, tangles and running water don't work for me. If I soak my hair w/o a thorough detangling session, I am in for a VERY bad wash day. My hair clumps together and feels like I'm free form locg...not the loc look I'm going for.