4b/ 4c Naturals Growth Thread

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
I'm sneaking in too!

Doing a search on Blue Magic brought me here and the info you've shared is great.
Awesome! Thank you!

I am loving BlueMagic. What I love is that I only need to apply once. It locks in moisture without blocking it out. My ends do not tangle any more! It gives my hair shine! And gives my hair that crinkly/ rippley affect. My Hair is super soft. I don't apply it to my scalp I just layer it on top of already moisturized hair after wash day. So I apply it once every two weeks. I use the original blue kind.

I'm telling you, my detangling time has been chopped in half. Maybe more than half.

Tefnut

My mom used Black Magic too but more on my sister's head than mine. I am considering adding it just for those purposes. I'm not a PJer so I don't feel bad about purchasing it lol. I like what you said about no tangles, no split ends and not having SSKs. I wear my hair in long-term protective styles (4-8 weeks) and even when I'm detangling and washing/deep conditioning my hair SSKs aren't an issue for me. I think the Blue Magic will help things stay that way when I start wearing my hair out again. I found a container of Taliah Waajid's Strengthener that I bouught a few years ago that I may use in the meantime (old formula). I'll see.

I'm still going through this thread. Again, thanks for keeping us updated on your progress with Blue Magic!

Awesome! Thank you!

I am loving BlueMagic. What I love is that I only need to apply once. It locks in moisture without blocking it out. My ends do not tangle any more! It gives my hair shine! And gives my hair that crinkly/ rippley affect. My Hair is super soft. I don't apply it to my scalp I just layer it on top of already moisturized hair after wash day. So I apply it once every two weeks. I use the original blue kind.

I'm telling you, my detangling time has been chopped in half. Maybe more than half.

fluffyforever

I'm subbing! I'm a 4b/4c girl. The front of my hair is a tight wave, the sides of my hair coil more the size of pen springs, my crown is just a fuzzy cloud, my nape has a weird s and zig zag curl thing going on. It's cottony and not silky at all. Shrinkage is at least 75-90% if I let it. High porosity ends that like to tangle. It stays dry, has ssks galore, splits, split ends, mid shaft bubble splits... a lot of times I wonder why I even keep pushing on with this natural thing after 10 years.

But then I have days like today that remind me how much I love my hair. I need to do better to have more good days than bad.

My hair needs to be stretched and I should never let it dry loose to prevent tangles.

I need to shampoo with sulfates. My scalp and hair do better with tthe weekly removal of product buildup.

I need to heavy seal with a thick oil like melted shea butter. This helps my hair stretch and prevents ssks by giving a little slip. And it really helps keep the moisture in from wash day.

I need to comb to remove shed hair and keep hair smooth and in the same direction. I use Hercules Sagemann combs.

I'm starting a new regime to use the rest of the year to see if it helps with my issues. I've been really lazy and wearing puffs everyday and the ends of my hair has suffered.

faithVA

I'm subbing! I'm a 4b/4c girl. The front of my hair is a tight wave, the sides of my hair coil more the size of pen springs, my crown is just a fuzzy cloud, my nape has a weird s and zig zag curl thing going on. It's cottony and not silky at all. Shrinkage is at least 75-90% if I let it. High porosity ends that like to tangle. It stays dry, has ssks galore, splits, split ends, mid shaft bubble splits... a lot of times I wonder why I even keep pushing on with this natural thing after 10 years.

But then I have days like today that remind me how much I love my hair. I need to do better to have more good days than bad.

My hair needs to be stretched and I should never let it dry loose to prevent tangles.

I need to shampoo with sulfates. My scalp and hair do better with tthe weekly removal of product buildup.

I need to heavy seal with a thick oil like melted shea butter. This helps my hair stretch and prevents ssks by giving a little slip. And it really helps keep the moisture in from wash day.

I need to comb to remove shed hair and keep hair smooth and in the same direction. I use Hercules Sagemann combs.

I'm starting a new regime to use the rest of the year to see if it helps with my issues. I've been really lazy and wearing puffs everyday and the ends of my hair has suffered.
Our hair sounds like cousins. At least you know what to do. It's just time to invest in your hair.

guyaneseyankee

I moisturize my hair at least every other day. If I have a style I will pour my moisturizers in a spray bottle with some water and go at it! And my hair is never dry, but I still do it for good measure.

And I will add: THAT I NEVER CAN FIND SPLIT ENDS!! I have tried to do search and destroys, but there is hardly anthing to destroy. I thought that was weird a year ago but now I know through & through that I won't find much to snip.

I have 0 breakage (except for the Times when I rush through it with my fingers). My whole journey has been a breeze and so far I have 16" of hair. For two years, two months, and 21 days I should have retained 13"-14" right??? I past it. I thank God.

I'm rambling....I just drunk a full bug of coffee. Protective styling+moisture +protein= excellent retention for me.

Eta: I keep my hair tucked away 100% of the time.

Hi @AdoraAdora24 I'm trying to figure out the definition of low manipulation. I'm trying to get these last two inches for the rest of the year by retaining what I have and wearing two french braids while at work. But once I get home, I take them out so my hair can breathe and then do it again in the morning sealing with mango butter.
I'm wondering if that's too much manipulation.

I've always been a wash and go (literally, not shingling hair) so to me that was low manipulation. But doing two braids every morning, has me wondering if I'm sabotaging my efforts.
If I keep that up for the next two months, I wont be wetting my hair every morning like I usually do (my hair thrives on water like a plant) but I want to see if I change it up, will I retain what I grow. Does that make sense?

What do you think?

SAPNK

I was reading about 4b/ 4c naturals going back to blue magic and the like on another forum. Apparently, they all had great results.
It makes sense since most naturals tend to need heavier product than those with naturally straight hair, it's reasonable that the naturals with the tightest/ coiliest hair could need even heavier products than those with looser curls.
I know my hair is dry by nature and will feel dry even if I did everything to keep it properly moisturized. So something made with petroleum could provide the ultimate sealant for moisture. A year ago or so, my mom bought us both a ton of Royal Crown grease, because someone she worked with used it everyday and had really long hair, but I stopped using it after a short time as I didn't want to do a natural no no. I guess I'll try it again and see what happens.

I hope everyone is doing well with their hair and their lives.

Maracujá

November 2020 --> 14 years natural!!!
I hope everyone is doing well with their hair and their lives.

Thank you, so kind of you to say!

Today I am working from home so I decided to do an overnight protein treatment. Before y'all gasp, hear me out lol.

I was reluctant to do the whole protein then moisturizing treatment, which always takes me way too many hours. So I mixed filtered water with keratin oil, sprayed it on my hair and slept with a plastic bonnet.

This morning I washed my hair with a moisturizing shampoo and little to no hairs came out as I was putting the conditioner on my hair and combing it with a wide tooth comb.

It's too early to say how it will work out, but I'll keep y'all updated at the end of the week. Next up on my to buy list is a hair dryer at the end of the month, can't hardly wait to get back on track :D. Wishing everyone well ;)

SAPNK

Took my PS out after 2 weeks because my scalp was itching.
This was the first time I didn't wash my hair in sections in a long time, haha. It's also the first time I'm seeing the back of my natural head.

Let me know if you're my hair twin
upload_2017-10-14_20-46-33.png

upload_2017-10-14_20-49-6.png

GGsKin

Your hair is beautiful! :meme: My picture isn't very clear, but my ends look like yours. Although the definition doesn't go as far up as your hair.
Thank you. Your hair is beautiful and I admire your density.

It's funny that you mention the bolded because my hair looked more like yours but I couldn't find any older pics on my phone. The definition literally crept up my length with regular wetting, MHM/ clay washing.

Maracujá

Thank you. Your hair is beautiful and I admire your density.

It's funny that you mention the bolded because my hair looked more like yours but I couldn't find any older pics on my phone. The definition literally crept up my length with regular wetting, MHM/ clay washing.

Noticed this too with my hair.

As for the verdict of my overnight protein treatment: it's a win. It just takes more moisturizing (with just plain filtered water) during the week.

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
Most women with our hair type still relax. That's why it's so important to showcase what can be done with our hair type :yep:.

In other news: I ordered a new hair dryer on Saturday, Cannot wait for it to ship!

I don't know about the bolded, I am seeing more type 4's then other hair types. Or maybe its just my eyes...idunno.

Well this is one chica that will never relax her hair again...you hear!:bdance:

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
LOL I don't know why but type 4 hair is the only hair my eyes gravitate to. I don't even notice other hair types , I guess woolly hair grabs so much of my attention that I can tell how many naturals are in a room in 15 seconds. It's just a more noticeable type of hair. and when I'm out shopping I hardly see relaxed heads.

Maracujá

LOL I don't know why but type 4 hair is the only hair my eyes gravitate to. I don't even notice other hair types , I guess woolly hair grabs so much of my attention that I can tell how many naturals are in a room in 15 seconds. It's just a more noticeable type of hair. and when I'm out shopping I hardly see relaxed heads.

I gravitate towards our hair type too. However, I live outside of the US. The natural hair scene has taken over Paris, but here...it's just starting to take over.

SAPNK

Need to put a regimen down in writing and attempt to stick to it. I like when my hair is in protective styles. It's grown some with these pasts few months of Marley twists and crochet braids.
I just need to make time to do them, and maybe buy the hair ahead of time, and just have it stashed.

OMG, that just reminded me that I have enough hair to put some twists in, lol. I could've been doing that today. Well, I know what I'll be doing (ALL DAY) tomorrow. :drunk:

lexi84

5798A7BA-394C-4560-87AB-75541BEC58B8.jpeg Hi guys!

4b here natural here! Last year i was able to achieve past BSL length. I had no real regimen and i treated my hair horribly with blow drying twice per month on high heat. And STILL my hair grew. However, after putting color in it, it started to thin out and break. Last month i cut it to APL. I’m currently challenging myself to not use heat unti next December.

I am still establishing a regimen and actually trying to learn my curl pattern. Since i blow dried so often i never really learned how to deal with my curls. My crown is 4c and breaks very easily. I have a very hard time dealing with that area. Your tips have been helpful! This thread is great!!