4B, BSL Hairstylist

w332

Hi Ladies!

I found a new hairstylist via a referral from a friend. The friend has long, BSL 4B hair, and it is very healthy. I have 4B hair also, so I decided to go the recommended stylist. She did an awesome job with my hair which is SL and recovering from damage/stress/improper care. My hair is also natural.

The new stylist recommended that I visit the salon once a week for a while to get my hair "trained." She washes it, blowdries it with a hand-held dryer, and flat irons it. She told me that over time, my hair will become thicker and longer under her care. The stylist's hair is BSL, 4B, and even though it's not natural, she only relaxes it once per year. She said that for her hair, she rollersets it and flat irons only the roots.

My question is, should I trust her? Could flat ironing weekly damage my hair? I really do need a good stylist to maintain my hair for me, so I really want to try her and hopefully stick with her over the long haul. I just don't want my hair to end up worse than it is.

What would you do? Do you think I should give it a try for a few months and evaluate the results before proceeding??!! Please give me your suggestions Ladies!

transitioning?

Are u looking to wear your hair straight all the time? "train" sounds like heart training to me. This means that it will stay straight even when wet. It will not go back to it's original texture

Sent from my PC36100 using PC36100

w332

Thanks for the replies lady. I do want my hair to be straight most of the time. I am skeptical about possible damage though.

greight

OP, she may have stronger strands that can withstand her regimen w/ heat. Your 4b may not be another's.

MzSwift

OP, she may have stronger strands that can withstand her regimen w/ heat. Your 4b may not be another's.

ITA!

And IA, that sounds like heat training. Since you said you don't want to heat train, let her know that that is a kind gesture but you do not wish to make your hair "easier" to straighten. Since she's so skilled at rollersetting, perhaps that would be a better weekly option.

GL!