4B Naturals That Flat Iron- GET IN HERE!!!

lizjoseph

One of my best friends mentioned that she would like a Chi Flat Iron for Christmas. She only said it in passing, but I take notes :grin:. I love her dearly and said to myself that I would go ahead and get it for her. I did TONS of research and it seems that the Chi isn't the best at straightening natural-cottony 4B hair (Basically her hair is shoulder length- but with shrinkage and all-it is ear length). I want to get her a good quality flat iron and have been interested in the following (in this order):

1.)FHI Platform (1 inch)
2.) Sedu (1 inch)
3.)Solia ( 1 inch).

I know this question has been asked 50-11 times- but I need to know for the last time!!!!

So.......4B naturals that Flat Iron- what iron have you used/ currently use that gives you RESULTS!I mean to the point where people think you went ahead and got a relaxer? Are any of the ones I mentioned above favorites of yours? Have you used all 3 and have a comparision you would like to share? Let a sista know!! I feel more confused than ever!

Also, what heat protectant do you use with it? (Apparently that is just as important as the iron as far as resuts are concerned. :) )

Thanks Ladies!

Last edited:

Lucky's Mom

I would suggest the FHI, Sedu or Solia ( I Have The Sedu and the Solia) and I would suggest Sabino Moisture Block for heat protection.

www.gotfrizz.com

TCatt86

I agree with samanthajones67. The FHI is much more effective to me at least. The Chi is good for wavy, relaxed even transitioning hair

Muse

I am 4b transitioning with a lot of natural roots. I have a Sedu and I love it! I also use Sabino Moisture Block as my protectant. I really like Matrix Sleek Look poo and con, to me it just sets the hair up to be straightened nicely. Also you may want to show your friend the comb chase method. That should take care of frizzy ends and give her more swing. With these products, tools and techniques I have been able to get a swinging relaxer look. HTH:yep:

scarcity21

ive only straightened maybe twice or so with a cheapie Flatiron so I might not be of any help however...Sweetcrystalmarshall (hope she doesnt mind) is a natural 4b and she uses the babyliss pro tourmaline...that iron got her hair relaxer straight last Christmas...she has a fotki with pics of her reults in there...HTH

Deja9

I'm 4a natural and get my hair bone straight with the chi. The downside is that I have to slide the chi through my hair so many times. I am switching to the sedu and gonna see how that works.

By the way- it's sweet of you to buy the flat iron for your friend for Christmas.

Last edited:

d-rock

I have a Revlon something or other and a Maxiglide and I've been able to get great results with both. I've learned here it's more about flat ironing technique more so than the flat iron itself. But..... I love my maxiglide!!!!!!!

Pamsc

Well, I have the FHI, but I am planning on buying a Maxiglide after hearing so many raves on it...FHI is just not doing it for my hair:nono:

missdemi

perosnally I like the FHi. I don't like the CHi beacause you can't control the temperature. And I know many excellent stylist use a FHi. I have one myself and I swear by it. You can get one on Amazon for a nice price too

BonnieB

I have a maxiglide and it works wonders for my hair but I only use it with the pins. My mother has a CHI flat iron and it works wonders after i straighten with my maxiglide, however my problem with the CHI is the inability to switch the heat level. It just goes on and off and when it gets hot... it gets HOT!!! Also I used CHI Silk Infusion when I straightened my hair but nothing works as good as my lovely Smooth n' Shine Silk n' Sleek Straighten Polish (but my hair is more 4a than 4b):ohwell:.

lizjoseph

Hmm...for those of you using the FHI- are you using the Platform one or just the regular cermaic one?

For those of you who have used/ use the Sedu- have you had anny problems with the plates falling apart? I have heard that this happens with this brand.

Thanks!

Keedah

Im 4a / 4b and I love my maxiglide. I only use it with the pins too. Havnt tried any others so I cant compare.