4C Naturals, what is your routine???

NefertariBlu

Hi ladies, I see a lot of 4a/4b topics but not so much about 4C. Where are ya?? :drunk:

Since being on the forums, I've learnt a lot! I've realised that my hair likes low manipulation. My hair doesn't really like "out" styles as it gets tangled and dry very easily.

Products that work are such a strange mix of things and most, I thought would never work for my hair but they did:spinning:

So 4C ladies, what routines do you have, what products do you use for moisture? Keeping my hair moisturised has been a long a$$ battle and I think I'm finally getting on top of things.

FoxxyLocs

I think the consensus on this board its that 4b and 4c are the same thing, so that's why you don't see many 4c threads.

NefertariBlu

Really? I find on YouTube l can see a difference with 4b and 4c. Maybe i'll stick to YouTube vids. even though there are few.

Thanks

Theresamonet

I initially thought that 4c, 4z, etc was being used as some type of hyperbole, to say that their hair was extremely tight. Now I'm seeing that folks are serious... Why is 4b (pin spring and smaller) insufficient?

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Thanks for starting this thread @NefertariBlu.

I think there is a diff. Tighter z-shaped pattern on the 4c. As I stated in another thread, my curl pattern is so tight, the curl literally wraps around itself like a Slinky. The 4c area, it's like someone smashed the slinky at both ends.

My crown is 4c and never grows because it breaks and has SSks galor because the coils are so tight around themselves. I was caring for it as a 4b (the rest of my hair). Now that I've gone to moisturizing and heavy sealing, it's taking off!

My 4c bit like the heavy stuff to weigh it down. It keeps the coil from doing the smashed slinky. I don't use petroleum products to seal but I'm getting closer to it! Right now, pomades are doing an excellent job it keeping it from breaking. It is also very very partial to glycerin, which I also despise, but it loves! So hair wins.

I will also go back to heat DCing and seeing how it like that. Havent heat DC'd in years since my last relaxer.

NefertariBlu

DarkJoy I too have seen the same observations when it comes to the type of "curl" in 4b's to 4C.

Even with 4b's they can get some form of curl, where my hair just frizzes up and can't really hold a curl even though they are there.

My twist outs last a day at most because the frizz just takes over. I think I may need to give up on them :-(.

Haven't found anything to weigh my hair down to calm the frizz. My hair likes to defy gravity.

I deep condition with a steamer once a week and that seems to be helping with the softness. I'm just looking for a better shampoo. I'm using Aphogee's deep moisturising shampoo. It's a lot better than other shampoo's out there so if anyone can suggest a shampoo that isn't stripping I'd be grateful.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
NefertariBlu: Maybe I can offer some help in bold below, but also wanted to ask about your retention? I'm just getting the hang and managed to keep the last 2 months of growth. It's hard finding stuff that works!

@DarkJoy I too have seen the same observations when it comes to the type of "curl" in 4b's to 4C.

My twist outs last a day at most because the frizz just takes over. I think I may need to give up on them :-(.

Noooooo! Dont give up! Mine last a day, maybe 2 max. I found that flax seed gel helps a lot. I know people rave about EcoStyler, but it does NOTHING for helping me to hold a style. These naps bust right through it in an hour. Even though you have to make the flax gel yourself, it's worth it. It lasts me about a month in the fridge. Less if I leave it out of the fridge too long. It also helps to use a pomade or even (gasp!) a wax like the Australian Beeswax brand (it does have petroleum to loosen it up) to seal before the gel. I don't particularly like wax, but will use it once in a while if my naps are being really ornery.

Haven't found anything to weigh my hair down to calm the frizz. My hair likes to defy gravity.

Try La Bella Defining Pomade. It lays my naps down super flat! Gonna start a review thread on it later when I use it to slick down my hair today and will tag you.

I'm just looking for a better shampoo. ... if anyone can suggest a shampoo that isn't stripping I'd be grateful.

Was at Walgreens and picked up Curls Unleashed on another desperate trip 2 weeks ago. It's fantastic! Leaves the scalp clean and the hair soft like butter. No stripped feeling. My 'fro comes out really fluffy and moisturized. Doesn't feel like I need a conditioner at all after. It's by Organic Root Stimulator and cheap! :yep:

basketballbabe03

Hi ladies, I see a lot of 4a/4b topics but not so much about 4C. Where are ya?? :drunk:

Since being on the forums, I've learnt a lot! I've realised that my hair likes low manipulation. My hair doesn't really like "out" styles as it gets tangled and dry very easily.

Products that work are such a strange mix of things and most, I thought would never work for my hair but they did:spinning:

So 4C ladies, what routines do you have, what products do you use for moisture? Keeping my hair moisturised has been a long a$$ battle and I think I'm finally getting on top of things.

I consider myself a 4C or "cnapp" as others call it. I've found the less I do the more my hair thrives.

So far, the following has been working for me to maintain moisture:

1. I keep my hair in twists, braids or some kind of low manipulation style. When my hair is out like in a puff, it doesn't retain moisture.
  2. Wash once a week with Cream of nature shampoo and conditioner. It still gets my hair clean but doesn't zap the moisture out of my hair.
  3. moisturize my hair daily or as needed with a water,infusium 23, and vegetable glycerin mix. I seal it in with whatever oil I'm using at the time.
  4. Minimize blow dryer and flatiron use

Nonie

NefertariBlu, what makes your hair 4C and not 4B? Coz when folks have shown me 4C or CNapp, I've shown them my 4B looking exactly like what they are calling 4C or CNapp. And if tight coils is your criterion for deciding that you are 4C and not 4B, then you need to check out the 4B thread to see more of that.

I'm with Theresamonet, I don't get the need for 4C. But carry on....

JudithO

I consider myself a 4C (tightest kinky pattern i've seen till date).... Ive seen people with similar hair, not seen anyone with tighter hair....

To answer your question... From experience...

The less you do to your hair, the more it thrives.

1. Wear it/wash it in twists... Always wear it stretched.. allowing it shrink is a recipe for disaster... Sincerely the only easy everyday I found to work (after 4 yrs of experimenting) is 2 strand twists... Twist outs are ok.. but too much manipulation...
Just put in small two strand twists.. and assume that's your hair... style the twists... I THINK (just my thot) that our hair type is meant to be kept short, loc'd up, two strand twisted, cornrowed if you decide to wear it natural.... relaxed hair is an option.

2. Run (especially if you have fine hair) .. RUN from heat.... You can go bald overnight.

3. Don't ignore protein... light doses of protein will do you a world of good.

Nonie My darling..... We know the 4B, 4C debate is not going to end... hehe... We both know the hair texture she is referring to (the same one me and you have)... so can we just ignore what she called it, and help the lady?

*Frisky*

I believe in 4C but the info out there is minimal. I agree with the poster above that said she has to basically over moisturize that part of her hair to maintain it. I have a different texture in my crown going towards the back that I have to just saturate more than I do the rest of my hair. Since I have been doing the Curly Girl Method, I have noticed a change but I need to keep at it so that section can continue to strive like rest of my hair.

NefertariBlu

DarkJoy, your comment made me laugh! Eco Styler does nothing to my hair. I even tried to extra firm gel and it just made my hair hard.

I've been thinking about the curls unleashed products but I fear that I'm becoming a product junkie lol.

For about 3 months I've been keeping my routine simple. Just wash, condition, moisturize and put it in a style for a week then start the process over again. I have very little breakage and overall I am happy with my progress however, my routine still needs a bit of tweaking. Especially the twist out. I just want something to hold the style.

I have made the decision to let go of the braids a couple 3 months ago and learn to look after my hair instead of hiding it. So, the product's I have been using are ok, for now.

Nonie, I think I'm a 4c and not a 4b from watching yt vids. I noticed that with the 4c's ladies and I had more similarities in hair texture than that of the 4b's. Plus whilst watching the ladies with 4c hair I noticed particular products being mentioned that seemed to work well so I guess that's why.

miss cosmic

I no longer call my hair anything to avoid these debates. Instead i just let it do what it do and accept what it wont. I've seen some of the hair 'we're' supposed to use as inspiration, but meh, my hair will NEVER do that. Flexi-rod sets? my hair laughs.
So...if the 'gurus' have 4b hair and can get curl definition i must not be 4b since my hair has NO curl except when wet, and even then the curls are almost microscopic. my hair will not hold a curl. Not to save my life. I accept that.

What i've learnt here is to keep it stretched to avoid tangling as it shrinks, never wash it loose unless i can spend hours detangling or want to lose hair, and keep it moisturised.
It's winter here now so my hair is cornrowed and i wear crochet braids. Re-do the cornrows every 4-6 weeks, clarify, deep condition, re-do cornrows. Rinse and repeat.
I moisturise every day/other day with water,av juice and rose water, in summer i add glycerine to that mix. If i'm not wearing crochet braids i use the LOC method which has been the ONLY way to keep my hair soft and touchable.

It doesnt matter what i call it as long as i know what itneeds. Or maybe that's just me :look:

Last edited:

NefertariBlu

judy4all, thank you for your response. I subscribed to your video's as I believe we are hair twins :)

I agree with you to an extent. I kept my hair shaved for 3 years and loved it. Now that it has grown I'm learning what it likes and what it doesn't like all over again. I hated how twists look on me as they don't have much body to them, but I did do a set a week ago and kept them in for just under 2 weeks.

Forgive me, I didn't realise that this was a touchy issue about the categories. I was just looking for answers and seeing what others were doing to maybe help my own routine.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
@DarkJoy, your comment made me laugh! Eco Styler does nothing to my hair. I even tried to extra firm gel and it just made my hair hard.

I've been thinking about the curls unleashed products but I fear that I'm becoming a product junkie lol.

I have made the decision to let go of the braids a couple 3 months ago and learn to look after my hair instead of hiding it. So, the product's I have been using are ok, for now.

NefertariBlu: You won't be PJing the Curls Unleashed shampoo--you will be sampling *snicker!*! :lachen: It is the bomb, though! Worth it!

I don't blame you for letting go the braids. 24/7 PSing got so tired. I wig'd, braided and sometimes weaved for 4 years straight. Done. This 4c hates it all. However, my mess is fine and fragile so tension snaps it. No wonder it didn't grow or what was left had to be chopped back to NL. It's retaining much better and is healthier now that its free.

We should be hair friends... :yep:

kandake

My hair is 4B but I think this would apply to "4c" hair.

This is my routine once or twice a week.

1. Shampoo with Trader Joes Tea Tree Shampoo. (If I don't shampoo I cowash)
2. Condition with the Trader Joes Balancing Conditioner or DC with ORS Replenishing Conditioner or Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose
3. Use Trader Joes Balancing Conditioner as a leave-in
4. Twist or Braid on wet/damp hair with Qhemet Amla and Olive Heavy Cream. Sometimes I add ORS Loc Gel for extra hold.
5. The next morning I untwist/unbraid and wear my hair out or in a puff
6. At night I spritz with water and retwist/rebraid. If I don't retwist/rebraid I wear a puff the next day. Refreshed with water and some type of oil. I don't like second day out styles without resetting it.

Last edited:

NefertariBlu

. I've seen some of the hair 'we're' supposed to use as inspiration, but meh, my hair will NEVER do that. Flexi-rod sets? my hair laughs.
So...if the 'gurus' have 4b hair and can get curl definition i must not be 4b since my hair has NO curl except when wet, and even then the curls are almost microscopic. my hair will not hold a curl. Not to save my life. I accept that.
:yep: Yep, my hair cackles at rollers/flexi rods. I think it's time to accept that I can have a style for a day but there won't be any longevity in it.

DrC

Ever since members were having an argument about major Hair Gur's hair type (HairCrush, KimmayTube etc.) I solely don't depend on HT 100%. I know it takes more than looking to determine a hair type, but I type my hair by pics of women with similar curl patterns as mine which is a 4b. Judging from the profound and serious arguments, massive dissertations written about particular hair types, the constant battle of 4c hair existing or not, and witnessing hair typing to be taken so seriously which lead to members butting heads on this board,

I have found hair typing to be the devil. *shrug*

NefertariBlu

DarkJoy, your in the HYH challenge too? YESSSSSSSSS! I did it last year, but I used braid extensions. I rarely left my hair out as I didn't know what to do with it, plus I'm style challenged. I like your reasoning with regards to the curls unleashed. They are having a launch event in London in the next couple of weeks and I was going anyway. Gives me a chance to "sample" the products:lol:

I've reached shoulder length (which is the longest it's ever been) and now I'm aiming for APL. I really want to try the Qhemets products, but the are out of stock here.

I think I need to start braiding my hair at night so I don't have drama with it in the mornings. That just makes sense. Why wasn't I doing this before:blush:

Nonie

judy4all, normally I would, but if OP's mind is made up that 4B's would not have a regimen suitable for 4C's--she made it clear she's not looking for 4B regimens--then why will this 4B be wasting her time for sharing a 4B regimen? Hence the reason I asked for the difference, because only if she can realize that there really isn't a difference and 4B is a wide spectrum, will she be open to learn from 4B regimens.

I love to share and help, but I hate to waste my time if one isn't open to hear what I have to say.

faithVA

We know the 4B, 4C debate is not going to end... hehe... We both know the hair texture she is referring to (the same one me and you have)... so can we just ignore what she called it, and help the lady?

I agree with this. OP, just keep asking your questions. People with hair like yours will come in and participate because they are looking for answers as well. And those that come to debate whether 4b/4c, let them post what they post.

But there is a thread for the Army of 4b's that probably has some "4c"s.

I will peek in here from time to time to see whatchall talkn about.

Nonie

@Nonie, I think I'm a 4c and not a 4b from watching yt vids. I noticed that with the 4c's ladies and I had more similarities in hair texture than that of the 4b's. Plus whilst watching the ladies with 4c hair I noticed particular products being mentioned that seemed to work well so I guess that's why.

@NefertariBlu I'm 4B and products that 4B folks use don't work for me. Heck products that type 4's use, not just 4B, don't work for me. I don't know how long you've been on the forum but it's an established fact that knowing your type doesn't mean regimens that others of that type follow will work for you. In actuality, I think the only thing knowing your type (and texture) will help with is knowing what styles your hair is capable of achieving. Like 4A's can do very neat looking WNG with defined coils from base to ends that look like someone actually planned the style. 4B WNG IMO look like uncombed hair. Now if we 4B shingle, then it looks more uniform and stylish.

You didn't answer the question of what the difference is. Saying you know you have A and not B without stating the difference doesn't answer the question what the difference is.

I am a 4B who uses no (ETA: leave-in) products on her hair at all. I don't know anyone else who has this regimen. So clearly, regimens are not the deciding factor of where people fall. You will go nuts trying and spend a lot of money trying to copy other people's regimens instead of getting to know your own hair and finding out what it likes regardless of what others with that hair are doing.

I have never looked to videos or albums to learn how to care for my hair. I just learned about hair in general and what it needs then I "listened" to my hair. My regimen is simple and cheap. If I had been looking to others to show me how to care for my hair, I'd have spend so much money and I'd probably still be asking questions.

OP, whatever you deem your hair to be, seriously you will get to know what works not by asking others but by learning what hair needs and then finding out how much of those needs your hair has and seeing how it responds. It's OK to look at other regimens but if you limit yourself to just what people with your hair use, you will miss out. I learned all I know from people with relaxed hair whose hair type I didn't even know.

That's the best advice I can give you OP. I'm out.

Last edited:

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.

It doesnt matter what i call it as long as i know what itneeds. Or maybe that's just me :look:

^^this miss cosmic. Had no idea the 4b/c thing was a debated issue. Who cares, right? I use it as a starting point to look for solutions, really. I mean, I'd definately not look at a regimen for a Type 1 to help me with my HHJ. So when ppl say 4, it's easier to find common ground/tips. That's it, really. At least in my little world...

Anyway, the only definition of curl my fro gets is when it's loaded with conditioner. Just wetting it is useless. Yep @ those microscopic curls! :yep: This cotton ball 'o mine gets sported a lot. I likes it. The rest can be way too much effort. hehe!

NefertariBlu

Nonie, you don't use ANYTHING? no products whatsoever?? Wow, I have never heard of this. I think my hair would be HAM if I tried this lol.

I hear what your saying. I didn't say I wasn't open to 4b's routines I was just doing a roll call for 4c's as I think we are few.

Thank you faithVA I will check those thread's out. I really don't want this to turn into a debate.

chesleeb

Idk know my type but my hair is well...nappy and I am so cool with that and a matter of fact I embrace it. I don't have many hair twins just a few on yt but they have classified their hair as 4C so go figure. I too can't use what is the "norm" for natural hair. My hair doesn't curl or wave when adding water it just well...i doesn't do anything really but sit there. However what I do know about my hair the more simple the routine is the better and yes I have gone back to mineral oil, grease and now my hair is thriving much better. I haven't given up on my hair but I just had to keep pushin. The main thing is its not breaking off, its moisturized and its growing so I am happy with my head full of cotton.

virtuenow

:yep: Yep, my hair cackles at rollers/flexi rods. I think it's time to accept that I can have a style for a day but there won't be any longevity in it.

As soon as someone mentions a roller or flexi-rod, I'm almost certain we are no where near the same hair category. I'm like, "whaaa, may hair can't do that!".

virtuenow

@Nonie, you don't use ANYTHING? no products whatsoever?? Wow, I have never heard of this. I think my hair would be HAM if I tried this lol.

I hear what your saying. I didn't say I wasn't open to 4b's routines I was just doing a roll call for 4c's as I think we are few.

Thank you @faithVA I will check those thread's out. I really don't want this to turn into a debate.

I'm pretty sure Nonie 's staple hair product is s-curl, correct me if I'm wrong.

BraunSugar

Can I see some pics of what ladies are calling 4c? Is 4c hair with no discernable curl or coil pattern? I have seen hair with extremely tight coils, like coffee stirrer and smaller and I have seen afro textured, no coil/curl pattern hair and I say they are type 4 without using any letters. I also think coils or curls the size of pencils and smaller are type 4 hair. Anyway, show me some pics! Lol