4C Naturals, what is your routine???

Newtogrow

lol, yeah, kids will tell you about yourself!

I just feel like the options I have are limited. I like to wear my hair out in roll and tuck styles but even in those my hair gets dry and is tangled after taking it out. I aim to wear one style a week so I don't comb or brush to much and so far it's been ok. Just need to up my game of finding a better moisturiser for spritzing during the week. I'm starting to realise that its best to keep it simple even though there are so many styles I want to try. I can't keep away from yoututbe lol.

If you're having trouble with dryness after your rolls, you may want to try Care Free Curl Instant Moisturizer before you pin your hair up. You may want to try glycerine and water or if there is another moisturizer you're partial to. I would recommend after washing, to braid your hair with your moisturizer then unbraid, roll and pin. When you take your hair down it should be less dry. I also use shea butter and olive oil. Castor oil on my dry hair helps with softness.

loshed

@loshed, what you describe about hair FEELING different has more to do with texture than type. Type has to do with appearance. Texture has to do with feel. Coarse hair feels different from fine hair. 4C hair DOES NOT exist because I am yet to read/see anything that shows me a difference between my hair and the so-called 4C/CNapp hair.

ETA: And hair typing isn't determined by how hair looks in one state. It is how it looks in many states. Folks who know 4B hair can recognize it whether hair is wet, dry, manipulated, not manipulated, combed, not combed. Once you've been around 4B hair long enough, you know what it's capable of and can see it even when folks try to fake the funk.

At this point I'm pretty sure we're all aware that you don't think 4c is a hair type which is fine but some people do and I just don't understand why every thread about it is more or less hijacked to have this same old debate. It's tired.

NefertariBlu

loshed. Thank you! I don't get it. l don't agree with the statement above but I'm not going to have a debate about it.

l know 4c hair exists because l have it and from reading other forums and vids others have it too.

Can we get back to discussing routines that work as it may help someone.

Last edited:

Rain20

OP If you haven't seen these YTtubers they have some interesting ideas about defining curls in 4b/4c hair.
thelmarrie
whjprins? (she got some really ugly comments and I think she stopped posting new videos but the old ones are still there)
indigochild with some numbers attached.
Not saying you are looking for defined curls. But the way they do it lasts a week. So it's low manipulation.
I also wanted to know more about 4c/Cnapp hair and went to the Cnapp website. Everyone's hair looks totally different. Some even look like 4a. So I guess our own perception drives typing to some extent.

I just like reading about different types of hair. 4b/c hair seems very porous. Maybe your hair is very porous so you can try addressing porosity issues.

NefertariBlu

Rain20 thank you for those yt vids , i'll check them out. To be honest I'm not really looking for defined curls as that looks time consuming and i'd be dreading the detangeling session after. I'm after low manipulation and moisture products as l think my hair maybe porous by judging how quickly i loose moisture.

divya

Interesting discussion. Some lovely heads of hair in here. Anyway, I feel like this is my mother's hair type. She has an extremely tight pattern that appears much different from plenty 4bs. But what do I know about this hair typing business anyway...lol.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Is it so bad that sometimes I wish I had a different curl pattern? :( Don't judge me..
@judy4all, none from me here either

My pattern is so tight, even unheated stretching I had no idea how long my hair got. Then I decided to flat iron. WOW it had reached SL. Had to chop it tho... SSK hell had chewed me up.

I don't think my type 4(whatever) likes the WNGs or twist outs. It doesnt like being manipulated wet. it doesn't like being manipulated dry. It doesn't like gel. It doesnt like slicking pomades. It doesn't like sudsy shampoo. It doesn't like SO MANY THINGS

Grrr...

Rant over.

The good news is it does grow and I think I can retain it if I dust at least once a month... gonna experiemnt with straightening too. Gonna try everything to keep these ends from curling in on themselves. And if it's heat--so be it!

faithVA

[USER=343979 said:
DarkJoy[/USER];16178241]@judy4all, none from me here either

My pattern is so tight, even unheated stretching I had no idea how long my hair got. Then I decided to flat iron. WOW it had reached SL. Had to chop it tho... SSK hell had chewed me up.

I don't think my type 4(whatever) likes the WNGs or twist outs. It doesnt like being manipulated wet. it doesn't like being manipulated dry. It doesn't like gel. It doesnt like slicking pomades. It doesn't like sudsy shampoo. It doesn't like SO MANY THINGS

Grrr...

Rant over.

The good news is it does grow and I think I can retain it if I dust at least once a month... gonna experiemnt with straightening too. Gonna try everything to keep these ends from curling in on themselves. And if it's heat--so be it!

You must be my hair twin :lol: My hair just seems to like being 1.5" or less. Everything else it says no thank you too.

I just cut 2" off of mine as well. I chopped from CBL to somewhere between EL and NL depending on the section :ohwell:

So much work for so little gratitude.

Seamonster

my 2 inch strands can get an SSK just as quick as the 10 inch ones. if there is enough hair to curl on itself it can happen. Fresh cut ends are so nice because of less ssk's. I think frequent micro trims work better for my hair than quarterly half inch ones.

JudithO

I've been lucky in that area.... Reached BSB several times, but It has never passed there.... I was googling how much people spend on their hair.... some people spend so little...

For me.. While natural, I spent little in money.. but Lord so much time twisting every other week.. Tired of looking the same week after week, month after month, year after year...

Now relaxed... My natural hair is so kinky but fine, relaxed ends... really fine.. I need to keep it straight and wrapped, but my hair hates the blowdryer flat iron...

I'm tired of doing my hair myself... agreed this pregnancy has taken a huge toll on me.. but even when natural.. I was tired of doing it myself...

I'm planning to go to the dominicans once a week... + a relaxer every 8 weeks... This is me planning to spend almost $2500 ... Who has this kind of money?

Even as a natural, if I go the braiding shop 2X a month... thats still $40 - $50 2x a month... cheaper than relaxing but.. still costly compared to others who can wash and go or wash and just sleek back with some gel and a fine tooth comb..

Just ranting anyway... I'm grateful... Some people dont have hair at all... At least I know how to care for mine.. I just hate doing it now.. :(

randi415

Hello ladies!! I am new to the forum well kinda I've been lurking on and off for a few months but this will be my first post. Anywho if I had to use the typing system I'd say my hair is 4abc mostly 4c. I have very fine/thin hair around my nape and sides, thick somewhat wavy hair in the front (bang area), and thick coarse hair at the very top and crown. I'm still working on a routine for my hair although I've been natural for close to two years I'm still learning what my hair likes and needs. I try to cleanse 2-3x a week. I wash and DC every sun. and co wash on the other days. Just recently I've been wearing protective styles through the week and out on the weekends, fri-sun. I'm in a no buy challenge on another forum because I am serious PJ, this is not something I'm trying to change because I love trying new products lotions, soaps, hair products, cleaning whatever. I needed to use some stuff up before it went bad, the challenge is also helping to pinpoint staples.

Here are some of my staples
Wen cleansing condish
Re Moist
Aussie Moist 3 minute miracle
Trader Joes tea tree tingle
Everything Oyin lol except the Honey Wash
Original Moxie hair bling
Mixed Silk DC
Afroveda cocoalatte mask
Eco styler

Here's a few pics of my hair

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Attachments

• image-4091675486.jpg
    image-4091675486.jpg
    412.9 KB · Views: 157
  • image-2582123530.jpg
    image-2582123530.jpg
    477.5 KB · Views: 147
  • image-2592154155.jpg
    image-2592154155.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 141

randi415

Maybe I should have read the post before I replied didn't realize there's a debate going on here. :(

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
randi415 welcome! dont sweat the debate.. its easy enough to ignore...

Glad you joined! Your hair is pretty! I'm loving the styles you rock. What is your regi? Your hair looks almost identical to mine so please share! I'd love to see how you got to...CBL?

Woohoo!

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
The Type 1-2-3-4 system was created by Andre Walker. Within Type 4, he only specifies 4a and 4b:

Type 4a - Kinky (Soft) - Hair tends to be very Fragile, tightly coiled, and has a more defined curly pattern.

Type 4b - Kinky (Wiry) - Also very fragile and tightly coiled; however with a less defined curly pattern -has more of a "Z" pattern shape.

4c is just made up by others who feel like their hair does not fall into the 4a or 4b category. It's technically not apart of the Andre Walker hair typing system. But for the most part, 4c is the same as or similar to 4b.

MissAlinaRose

I've been lucky in that area.... Reached BSB several times, but It has never passed there.... I was googling how much people spend on their hair.... some people spend so little...

For me.. While natural, I spent little in money.. but Lord so much time twisting every other week.. Tired of looking the same week after week, month after month, year after year...

Now relaxed... My natural hair is so kinky but fine, relaxed ends... really fine.. I need to keep it straight and wrapped, but my hair hates the blowdryer flat iron...

I'm tired of doing my hair myself... agreed this pregnancy has taken a huge toll on me.. but even when natural.. I was tired of doing it myself...

I'm planning to go to the dominicans once a week... + a relaxer every 8 weeks... This is me planning to spend almost $2500 ... Who has this kind of money?

Even as a natural, if I go the braiding shop 2X a month... thats still $40 - $50 2x a month... cheaper than relaxing but.. still costly compared to others who can wash and go or wash and just sleek back with some gel and a fine tooth comb..

Just ranting anyway... I'm grateful... Some people dont have hair at all... At least I know how to care for mine.. I just hate doing it now.. :(
:bighug:
Thanks for sharing your honesty with us. I can feel your frustration and trust me we've all been there. How long have you been natural? What part do you find most difficult--the styling or maintenance?

randi415 You're so cute! Lovin the hair

NefertariBlu

Hello ladies!! I am new to the forum well kinda I've been lurking on and off for a few months but this will be my first post. Anywho if I had to use the typing system I'd say my hair is 4abc mostly 4c. I have very fine/thin hair around my nape and sides, thick somewhat wavy hair in the front (bang area), and thick coarse hair at the very top and crown. I'm still working on a routine for my hair although I've been natural for close to two years I'm still learning what my hair likes and needs. I try to cleanse 2-3x a week. I wash and DC every sun. and co wash on the other days. Just recently I've been wearing protective styles through the week and out on the weekends, fri-sun. I'm in a no buy challenge on another forum because I am serious PJ, this is not something I'm trying to change because I love trying new products lotions, soaps, hair products, cleaning whatever. I needed to use some stuff up before it went bad, the challenge is also helping to pinpoint staples.

Here are some of my staples
Wen cleansing condish
Re Moist
Aussie Moist 3 minute miracle
Trader Joes tea tree tingle
Everything Oyin lol except the Honey Wash
Original Moxie hair bling
Mixed Silk DC
Afroveda cocoalatte mask
Eco styler

Here's a few pics of my hair

Your hair is gorgeous! I had the same style as the first pic last week, but I took it out as it started to look fuzzy pretty quickly. I'm still learning to style so I wasn't happy that it went fuzzy so quickly. Practice makes perfect!

I am enjoying trying different styles and I have found a product that gives me the best twist out EVER and that's saying something.

I tried the Miss Jessies baby buttercreme and I love it! Yes I know it has nasties in it but it makes my hair soft and well defined and my twist out last for... MORE THAN ONE DAY!:drunk:

Now I need to learn how to keep my styles from looking fuzzy so quickly when I'm doing them myself. When I get it professionally done it lasts a lot longer.

Soft hair goal: Done
Twist out for more than one day: Done
Styles looking neater: Work in progress

wednesday

I realized it's best to keep it simple. I have fine 4b/c hair and as much as i miss messing around in my hair i protective style all the time. I pretty much kept my hair in extension braids all last year and though i my retention was ok, i've realized the importance of giving my hair a break between braiding for at least 2 months. Now i stay in twists. That means wash/condition/DC in twists and redo them every 2 weeks. I spray my hair with a water/glycerine mix daily or some kind of braid spray. Seal with coconut/castor/olive oil or shea butter. That my routine for now but we'll see....

LightEyedMami

I agree with wednesday!..i say im 4b, but i suspect im 4c as well!....and keeping it simple works great for me i am VERY close to bra-strap (or possibly am bra-strap?...i'll know next month) ....and my hair seems to be so much better these days since i keep-it simple and focus on...MOISTURE, MOISTURE, MOISTURE (and a mild protein once or twice a month also) :yep:.........Are you ladies deep conditioning regularly?... i find i have too, or i get breakage city !!!

NefertariBlu

Hi LightEyedMami I'm starting to see that my hair likes low manipulation too. I make sure I deep condition every week with a steamer. Since I have bought it, I have used it every single week. Making sure i get my money's worth from it.

AtlantaJJ

Since I started using different Ayurveda powders, and now that I'm getting better with my protein/moisture balance, my hair is responding more like 4a (in the front) and 4b :shocked: I've been co-washing more and more, and I am only shampooing once every 6 weeks. I'm not using any cones.

I get nice coils now. I still get 75% shrinkage, but I get more coil definition now.

Adiatasha

Well... Right now I'm in a protective style. Here are pic of my hair when I'm not wearing a weave
We all love pics sooooo......

image-3065565178.jpg

image-2056844000.jpg

This was before I cut a few inches

image-890792943.jpg

Blowdried then placed in a bun

image-3656547550.jpg

Flat twist... Kind of failed attempt