5 Year Old Knocks Over Statue; Family Receives Bill $100,000 Bill

nysister

I saw this a few days ago and watched the video. She wasn't watching her kid and even after it toppled it took her a while to get up, he could have been severely hurt. She needs to be glad she's not also charged with negligence.

I don't feel bad for her and I concur #nbwh

Last edited:

SlimPickinz

Summer where are you?
I believe the center has the responsibility to properly secure a potentially dangerous and valuable object. Accidents can happen whether parents are alert or not. The kid could have been hurt. I would have never guessed that thing could topple over so easily.
I would agree if he didn't bear hug the statue. But that kid grabbed it with the intent to move it. It seems the statue was heavier than he thought and he couldn't push it back onto the platform.

Lute

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Yoooooo!!!

When I was that age I would always remember my mother telling me when went to a place that either had glass or very fragile items. That we better stay right by her or there would be :angry2::bat::brucelee::burnup::handslap: to pay. I avoided those areas cause I didn't want to deal with the

consequences nor wrath of everybody. This is truly the parent's fault.

Reinventing21

Spreading my wings
The kid's intention has nothing to do with the fact that the statue was improperly secured. A child especially one that young would not be able to forsee that consequence.

I am not arguing the child's intent nor the parenting skills. I am only saying that the museum has responsibility for not properly securing the statue. I just think it was too easy for the kid to knock over, bear hug or not. It is the same thing with stores: if you get injured because something falls on you while you are trying to reach something, the store can be held liable.

That said, parents should take heed and be more cautious. I was in a department store when my then three year old suddenly reached for, knocked over and broke an overpriced snow globe. I was standing right there when it happened. I was mortified. I thought I would have to pay for it, but the saleslady told me no, it was ok and that the globe probably should not have been there. I do not know if that was true or not lol but I was very grateful. Ask me if I ever took my kid in stores with fragile things again lol.

ladysaraii

Someone in another one of my groups is FB friends with the mom. She wrote:

It is not an art museum. The “art” was never there before and shouldn’t have been there. They were negligent and my son was just a few yards from my husband. This is ridiculous. It is a community center. Kids are coming and going constantly, this wreaks of insurance scam! The art isn’t even insured by the artist. Since it is so valuable and all, why isn’t is safe and secure from harming people.

This could’ve fallen at any time, if a wheel chair bumped the awkward unstable rock base. The base they had it on seems like it’s not even the same as they keep showing in pics. It was not stable and in a place where kids are expected. 10 feet away is pool tables, ping pong and basketball. The “party rooms” are most often used by parents for kids birthday party events. This was a wedding reception. Simultaneously to a bridal shower and birthday party. While people bring their kids to play and they work out and take a spin class. Not. A. Gallery.

Apparently she also set up a gofundme for 85k but someone else said it's been taken down. I wish I had read the comments.

She's now set up a GoFundMe for 85K for her legal defense. In other words, she has no intention of paying the artist, taking responsibility, and being done with it. I agree with this gentleman:

"Sarah, I'm glad your son wasn't seriously hurt. I do however, have to say that I absolutely will not donate to help someone who refuses to acknowledge or accept responsibility on any level."

LdyKamz

This lady sat 10 feet away from her kid and let him act a fool. I was worried that the thing was going to fall on him when it came down. And I bet if it had she would have sued them. It is implied in places like this that you do not touch the art. This is not an amusement park. People need signs and and to be spoon fed basic common knowledge. Even in museums things aren't all covered in glass and roped off. And even if there was a sign the kid wouldn't have heeded it anyway. Her flimsy defense gives the impression that had there been a sign or it was covered in glass he wouldn't have touched it. She better be glad it wasn't covered in glass because then he and the statue would have been messed up. She needs to pay for this and hopefully next time she'll keep a closer eye on her children.

Leeda.the.Paladin

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Yoooooo!!!

When I was that age I would always remember my mother telling me when went to a place that either had glass or very fragile items. That we better stay right by her or there would be :angry2::bat::brucelee::burnup::handslap: to pay. I avoided those areas cause I didn't want to deal with the

consequences nor wrath of everybody. This is truly the parent's fault.
:lol: I am just like your mom. I threaten everybody’s life and soul, especially when there are valuables or breakables to be harmed.

LivingInPeace

“It is not an art museum. The “art” was never there before and shouldn’t have been there. They were negligent and my son was just a few yards from my husband. This is ridiculous. It is a community center. Kids are coming and going constantly, this wreaks of insurance scam! The art isn’t even insured by the artist. Since it is so valuable and all, why isn’t is safe and secure from harming people.”

Well, it was an art museum that day. Y’all in a room filled with art and sculptures but you wanna about it’s not a museum. That room doesn’t look like any place where two boys should be running freely.

So what if art had never been in there before. What if the room was now filled with scissors and knives? Should your child be running around grabbing at them because they shouldn’t be there?

This is why white kids grow up believing they are entitled to say what they want, have whatever they want, touch whatever they want, oppress a people..I can’t.

Last edited:

Cheleigh

A. It was improperly secured and shouldn't haven't fallen down so easily.
B. The insurance will take care of this, but the parents were negligent for letting their kids run around unsupervised so that they acted like monkeys. The parents should not try to defend their behavior, nor their kids' behavior, in any way shape or form.

dyh080

A. It was improperly secured and shouldn't haven't fallen down so easily.
B. The insurance will take care of this, but the parents were negligent for letting their kids run around unsupervised so that they acted like monkeys. The parents should not try to defend their behavior, nor their kids' behavior, in any way shape or form.

I'm guessing you are referring to the PARENTS' insurance. If not, if the owner or gallery's insurance pay the parents are still likely on the hook via indemnification.

dyh080

The kid's intention has nothing to do with the fact that the statue was improperly secured. A child especially one that young would not be able to forsee that consequence.

I am not arguing the child's intent nor the parenting skills. I am only saying that the museum has responsibility for not properly securing the statue. I just think it was too easy for the kid to knock over, bear hug or not. It is the same thing with stores: if you get injured because something falls on you while you are trying to reach something, the store can be held liable.

That said, parents should take heed and be more cautious. I was in a department store when my then three year old suddenly reached for, knocked over and broke an overpriced snow globe. I was standing right there when it happened. I was mortified. I thought I would have to pay for it, but the saleslady told me no, it was ok and that the globe probably should not have been there. I do not know if that was true or not lol but I was very grateful. Ask me if I ever took my kid in stores with fragile things again lol.

Yes, but it can be argued that the museum has responsibility for events that are foreseeable.