5000 mcg of Biotin too much?

yodie

How much biotin do you take on a daily basis?

I started taking 5000 mcgs per day. Is this too much?

seraphinelle

Hmm.. what does mcg stand for?

Never seen that before...

I'm taking 1500 mg of MSM

Last edited:

yodie

seraphinelle said:
Hmm.. what does mcg stand for?

Never seen that before...

I'm taking 1500 mg.

not sure what mcg stands for. that's what my bottle says.

seraphinelle

LOL, ok,

I'm going to look it up, LOL, sounds metric but I've never come across it, and now it's going to bother me.

seraphinelle

OK, mcg is the improper abbreviation of microgram, which is properly written as ug.

Which means if you're taking 5000mcg, that's 5mg.

So I'm taking a heap of MSM... 1500mg... DAMN

ChasingBliss

I take 10,000 mcgs... from Freeda.

Last edited:

seeminglysweet

i started off taking 6,000mcg and my face broke out in kind of a rash. It went away as soon as I stopped but just a warning. But my nails did grow fast and strong within a week

yodie

seraphinelle said:
OK, mcg is the improper abbreviation of microgram, which is properly written as ug.

Which means if you're taking 5000mcg, that's 5mg.

So I'm taking a heap of MSM... 1500mg... DAMN

Thanks for researching that for me.
Is there a limit to how much I should take?

MzOptimistic

seeminglysweet said:
i started off taking 6,000mcg and my face broke out in kind of a rash. It went away as soon as I stopped but just a warning. But my nails did grow fast and strong within a week

I take 5000 mcg of biotin along with my other vitamins and I do not get breakouts. I do not drink as much water as I should. I drink maybe 1 or 2 glasses a day...If that much to be honest and my hair is growing fast. Now, don't get me wrong water IS the key...it's just that I have a hard time drinking water and I'm in the process of making myself drink more but if I drink alot of water at work...I'm constantly going to the bathroom every 20 minutes and my boss office is right behind me so she sees me constantly getting up. I try to drink 1 16oz of bottle water at work and them drink the rest that is required at home...that should be cool...but I honestly hate water:)

ChasingBliss

tsmith said:
Honey, what are the results from taking 10,000 mcgs. Is your hair growing faster or getting thicker?

To be honest, my nails grow superfast when I'm taking them. As far as my hair goes, I am always doing so many things to encourage growth that I cannot isolate the biotin. I am sure there is a positive contribution though.

Now I didnt notice thicker stronger hair when I started msm. eta: this was when I first started doing things for hair growth so it was easier to tell...

I noticed faster hair growth when I was Surging and doing 40 minutes of cardio activity 4 days a week.

Sorry I know you didnt ask me all that :lol:...

Last edited:

yodie

tsmith said:
I take 5000 mcg of biotin along with my other vitamins and I do not get breakouts. I do not drink as much water as I should. I drink maybe 1 or 2 glasses a day...If that much to be honest and my hair is growing fast. Now, don't get me wrong water IS the key...it's just that I have a hard time drinking water and I'm in the process of making myself drink more but if I drink alot of water at work...I'm constantly going to the bathroom every 20 minutes and my boss office is right behind me so she sees me constantly getting up. I try to drink 1 16oz of bottle water at work and them drink the rest that is required at home...that should be cool...but I honestly hate water:)

Water is a struggle for me also in the winter months. I usually get in 64 oz. a day, but I really want to increase this. Try to drink a bottle when you get up. This will help to increase your intake. You can also get propel water and other things to add to it.

Just an idea.

CaramelPrincezz

I need to step my Biotin game up...I'm only taking 2 600mcg GNC tablets so 1200mcg in all. Yall takin almost 5 times as much as me. I just couldnt afford the 2500mcg when I got them (broke college student). I dont think its too much if all these people are takin that or more.

MzOptimistic

raeshan said:
Water is a struggle for me also in the winter months. I usually get in 64 oz. a day, but I really want to increase this. Try to drink a bottle when you get up. This will help to increase your intake. You can also get propel water and other things to add to it.

Just an idea.

right, right, right, I can drink the hell out of some propel water so I will rack up on some but at work when I was trying to drink water regularly, I was drinking 16 oz bottle water every 30 minutes or so and that had me running to the little girls room every 20 minutes:lachen: but I'm going to drink a bottle when I get up in the morning, as you suggested. Thanks:)

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
I started off taking 5000 mcg, but I was inconsistent. Now I take 2 1000mcg every morning.

MzOptimistic

HoneyLemonDrop said:
To be honest, my nails grow superfast when I'm taking them. As far as my hair goes, I am always doing so many things to encourage growth that I cannot isolate the biotin. I am sure there is a positive contribution though.

Now I didnt notice thicker stronger hair when I started msm. eta: this was when I first started doing things for hair growth so it was easier to tell...

I noticed faster hair growth when I was Surging and doing 40 minutes of cardio activity 4 days a week.

Sorry I know you didnt ask me all that :lol:...

Thanks for answering my ? honey:)

Lavendar

CaramelPrincezz said:
I need to step my Biotin game up...I'm only taking 2 600mcg GNC tablets so 1200mcg in all. Yall takin almost 5 times as much as me. I just couldnt afford the 2500mcg when I got them (broke college student). I dont think its too much if all these people are takin that or more.

I take 5 mg (5000 mcg) biotin, 1 a day. I take the vitamin shoppe brand. It's only $4.19 for 120 capsules right now. After taking it for about 1.5 months, my hair growth took off.

yodie

Lavendar said:
I take 5 mg (5000 mcg) biotin, 1 a day. I take the vitamin shoppe brand. It's only $4.19 for 120 capsules right now. After taking it for about 1.5 months, my hair growth took off.

This sounds good. started taking 5mg January 4th. Prayerfully, I'll see results by March. I have the GNC brand. They're 2500 mcg's each and come 120 per bottle, for $2 and change. I'll try the Vitamin Shoppe Brand next time. :p

Last edited:

CaramelPrincezz

raeshan said:
This sounds good. started taking 5mg January 4th. Prayerfully, I'll see results by March. I have the GNC brand. They're 2500 mcg's each and come 120 per bottle, for $2 and change. I'll try the Vitamin Shoppe Brand next time. :p

$2!!! :eek:I just went there Saturday and the 2500 mcg was like $17 so i got the 600 mcg for $6.99...I need to go back!:grin:

growinglong777

I just ordered 5000 mcg of Biotin.from Puritans Pride.. Some other fine haired ladies on the board take this doseage, and states it helps thicken the strands and promote faster growing. Their hair is gorgeous.I will take them about 3 mos. and watch for the changes in my hair also

~*~ShopAholic~*~

I know this T-up has gotten me more growth than I normally get, but I'm not sure if the Nioxxin is the main culprit. My hair is definately comming in thicker and my nail need to be cut like every 2 wks.
raeshan said:
Did you see quick results?

yodie

CaramelPrincezz said:
$2!!! :eek:I just went there Saturday and the 2500 mcg was like $17 so i got the 600 mcg for $6.99...I need to go back!:grin:

They have two different kinds of biotin. Look for the one in the blue/gray bottle.