60 Day Fish Challenge

tallnomad

Anyone interested in joining?

I was inspired by Mona Rae's "High Protein" thread and then I read posts from Candy C and Can't be Copied--who suggested fish challenges.

I am sick of my slow hair growth, so I'm going to eat a can or pack of Wild Alaskan Salmon everyday. I'm going to pick some up after work.

I read that story posted on here about a woman with waist-length 4a hair who ate a can of salmon daily no matter what; she attributed her hair growth to her consumption of salmon.

I am a vegetarian and I try to be vegan, but I do LOVE salmon. I think I might not be getting the proper amounts of protein into my diet because of the things I typically tend to eat, so I'm going to try this.

Dr. Perricone--dermatologist suggests we eat salmon every morning for great skin and other benefits--it's a brain and beauty food.

I'm excited. All the posts I've read on here about fish and hair sound really good!

edited to say: I'm not trying to hijack Mona Rae's challenge--I know for me it's just easier to eat salmon as a protein---that's the only meat I eat. It works best for me to keep it simple.

Last edited:

MonaRae

tiffcurl said:
Anyone interested in joining?

I was inspired by Mona Rae's "High Protein" thread and then I read posts from Candy C and Can't be Copied--who suggested fish challenges.

I am sick of my slow hair growth, so I'm going to eat a can or pack of Wild Alaskan Salmon everyday. I'm going to pick some up after work.

I read that story posted on here about a woman with waist-length 4a hair who ate a can of salmon daily no matter what; she contributed her hair growth to her consumption of salmon.

I am a vegetarian and I try to be vegan, but I do LOVE salmon. I think I might not be getting the proper amounts of protein into my diet because of the things I typically tend to eat, so I'm going to try this.

Dr. Perricone--dermatologist suggests we eat salmon every morning for great skin and other benefits--it's a brain and beauty food.

I'm excited. All the posts I've read on here about fish and hair sound really good!

edited to say: I'm not trying to hijack Mona Rae's challenge--I know for me it's just easier to eat salmon as a protein---that's the only meat I eat. IWorks best for me to keep it simple.

I would love to join your challenge! I do eat a lot of protein only b/c I am doing Atkins.

How do you plan on eating the salmon?

MonaRae

longhairluva

I will love to join. I've been eating fish for about a month now(thanks Candy C) and my hair is showing improvement. I just finished eating two peices of talapia. I try to eat a eggs every morning or night and can of tuna fish every day along with some type of fish with my meals. I just can't do the protein shakes.

tallnomad

Hey Mona,

Not sure how I plan on eating it. I think I might just eat it straight or put a little fresh lemon/lime juice with a touch of Spike (my fav. seasoning) and call it a day. I really love Lochs too, so I might alternate with those, but I think just for convenience sake, I'll eat straight from the can and add the lemon juice with spike.

Do you have any ideas?

Longhairlova--what improvements are you seeing with your hair based off of the salmon?

Last edited:

tallnomad

I just got back from Whole Foods. I spoke to this man who works there about eating canned salmon. He said that I should get Red Sockeye Salmon (which is wild Alaskan). He said the red kind has the highest percentage of protein and omega fats.

I asked him if it was okay to eat everyday and he said yes as he and his wife did so. I thoroughly asked him about mercury toxicity and he thoroughly explained that the Sockeye fish are pole caught therefore are pure without mercury overload. He said to be careful about the commercial tuna and other forms of salmon as they live closer to the bottom of the water and have increased mercury risks.

He said the Sockeye is a bit dry when in the can, so his wife puts a bit of olive oil and lemon herb spice mixed up. They sometimes eat it like that or will add to salads, etc.

I forgot to ask about iodine poisoning mentioned in renae's post. i've never heard of that though in regards to fish. could this have been confused with mercury poisoning?

tallnomad

do we need to have a structure to this challenge? i don't know the proper grams you're supposed to eat, but I figure if it's daily, things will balance out okay.

i plan on eating salmon for breakfast and/or for lunch. depending on the day, i might eat it for both meals.

Dr. Perricone suggests eating it in the morning.

Isis

tiffcurl said:
I just got back from Whole Foods. I spoke to this man who works there about eating canned salmon. He said that I should get Red Sockeye Salmon (which is wild Alaskan). He said the red kind has the highest percentage of protein and omega fats.

I asked him if it was okay to eat everyday and he said yes as he and his wife did so. I thoroughly asked him about mercury toxicity and he thoroughly explained that the Sockeye fish are pole caught therefore are pure without mercury overload. He said to be careful about the commercial tuna and other forms of salmon as they live closer to the bottom of the water and have increased mercury risks.

He said the Sockeye is a bit dry when in the can, so his wife puts a bit of olive oil and lemon herb spice mixed up. They sometimes eat it like that or will add to salads, etc.

I forgot to ask about iodine poisoning mentioned in renae's post. i've never heard of that though in regards to fish. could this have been confused with mercury poisoning?
I'm not in this challenge but I'm the one who posted about my co-worker with waist length hair who ate salmon right out of the can, which I saw her do everyday for lunch.

Dr. Perricone said the regular canned salmon (besides the Sockeye) you find in all grocery stores is very good for you as long as it says "wild Alaskan" on the can. If it says "farm raised" or nothing about how it's caught, it's no good. I've been helping some friends with this info so it's fresh in my mind. :)

To remove any possible mercury, just eat some cilantro with it or in a salad or with veggies. Cilantro is known for pulling mercury out of the body very quickly.

BTW, there is absolutely no iodine poisoning - I'm not sure there is such a thing when it comes to iodine from food. I eat lots of sea veggies daily which are all very high in iodine, even more so than any kind of seafood. The only precautions for iodine are for those who have thyroid problems.

SexySin985

I'm In. I will start tomorrow. I will eat a can of tuna with a lil dab of mayo on it and also add 1 hard boiled egg (chopped up). I will try to alternate my tuna mix with canned salmon also.:)

tallnomad

thanks Isis for your great info! I will try adding the cilantro with my salmon.

did you ever decide to do the fish thing like the coworker?

do you really think it was the fish that helped her hair grow so long? did her skin look good too? :)

Isis

tiffcurl said:
thanks Isis for your great info! I will try adding the cilantro with my salmon.

did you ever decide to do the fish thing like the coworker?

do you really think it was the fish that helped her hair grow so long? did her skin look good too? :)
No, not yet. I have been thinking about it though. I held back from eating any fish mainly because of the mercury issue. I learned from Dr. Perricone and nutritionists about cilantro and how it pulls mercury out. So we'll see.

Yes, I certainly believe the salmon in particular helped her hair. :yep: It isn't just the protein in the salmon, it's the Omega-3, DHA from the fish oil, calcium and other properties of the salmon that's supposed really good for our hair and health period.

My coworker (black) looked like a beautiful, tall model with flawless skin and waist-length hair! She did model on the side.

Soul♥Flower

This sounds like a good challenge. I'm in, I need to eat healthier anyhow. Last year I did "The Healthy Hair Diet" I found on ivillage.com. It worked eventhough I only did it half a**ed for a couple weeks.

I think I'll start that again and substitute some of the meals with salmon.

I wonder if there are other herbs that work like cilantro. I am a little concerned about the mercury issue...but I can't stand cilantro.

Isis

rinygirl6 said:
This sounds like a good challenge. I'm in, I need to eat healthier anyhow. Last year I did "The Healthy Hair Diet" I found on ivillage.com. It worked eventhough I only did it half a**ed for a couple weeks.

I wonder if there are other herbs that work like cilantro. I am a little concerned about the mercury issue...but I can't stand cilantro.
That's why Dr. Perricone (and I'm sure other experts) recommended wild Alaskan salmon only (canned and fresh), because there is no mercury. The cilantro is a precaution and a must if people are consuming mercury.

Isis

rinygirl6 said:
I reprinted part of two articles on cilantro and mercury. The second article suggests parsley works too. There isn't as much documentation about parsley removing mercury as cilantro though. I used to dislike cilantro too but I love it now. I eat it almost everyday in my salads, soup too. It adds more flavor and I like that it removes not only any mercury but all other metals from our body quickly.

http://www.teeccino.com/ArticleDetails.aspx?ArticleID=5
I had heard that cilantro, the leaves of the herb, coriander, was reputed to remove mercury from the body. With some research, I learned that Dr. Yoshiaki Omura of The Heart Research Foundation in New York discovered that his patients, who suffered from recurrent infections, had deposits of heavy metals in their organs that were diseased. While testing the urine of one of his patients, who had recently eaten a Vietnamese soup made with large amounts of cilantro, he found increased concentrations of mercury that was excreted in the urine. Further testing showed him that along with mercury, cilantro accelerated the excretion of lead and aluminum. Using only cilantro leaves, Dr. Omura was able to detoxify his patients of heavy metals in 3 weeks! Best of all, their infections then cleared up permanently.

Cilantro is best eaten fresh, as the dried leaves don’t retain all of their healthful properties. The recommended “dose” is 1/4 cup of chopped fresh cilantro leaves and stems per day for 3 weeks. Personally, I find it easy to eat up to 1/2 cup a day by simply adding the fresh leaves to my daily salad. When preparing cilantro, you’ll find that you can remove the large stems, but the small ones are easy to eat. I take a bunch of cilantro and holding the stems in my left hand, I begin chopping the leaves from the tips until I get to the large stems near my hand. I discard those stems in my compost and finish chopping up the leaves and small stems to a consistent size.

If you love to cook like I do, you’ll find many ways to include cilantro in your dishes since cilantro is such a great culinary herb. My favorite recipes that use lots of cilantro include fresh salsa, cilantro pesto (simply substitute it for the basil in your favorite pesto recipe), guacamole, and green salad dressings that I make in the blender. Also, you can use cilantro in fajitas, bean dishes, curries and of course, soup!

If you would like to learn more about the toxic effects of heavy metals, here are some interesting facts I found reading scientific studies and government reports:

Since the 1980’s, many steps have been taken to control lead in the environment, such as removing it from paint, gasoline and cans. The toxic effects of lead, especially on the development of fetuses and young children, are well documented. However, our soil is still contaminated with lead that then becomes part of the food grown in that soil. Even your water may contain unsafe quantities of lead if you live in a home with old pipes. Although you may drink filtered water, your body absorbs unfiltered water in baths and showers.

Aluminum is considered more inert, but high levels of aluminum are found in the brains of Alzheimer patients and people with other types of neurological disorders like Parkinson’s disease. Aluminum is used in personal care items like deodorants, over-the-counter drugs like anti-acids, and cookware and foil where aluminum can leach into food you eat. Highly acidic sodas packaged in aluminum cans are also primary sources of aluminum. Increasing levels of aluminum in the brain is associated with protein cross-linking that accelerates aging and ultimately death!

Exposure to potentially toxic levels of mercury is still particularly widespread. Coal burning utilities emit over 40 tons of mercury annually in the USA and the large predatory fish we eat like tuna and swordfish may contain concentrated levels of mercury that has made its way up the food chain. Mercury is part of preservatives used in vaccines and dental amalgams contain mercury that can leach slowly into the body over time or rapidly during removal of the fillings. Dr. Omura studied the removal of amalgam fillings and found that even with all the precautions careful dentists employ, mercury was still released in large quantities into the body during their removal.

A metal detector hasn’t scanned me since doing my 3-week cilantro intensive. However, I’m confident that the cilantro did its job and I had a most pleasant time finding new ways to have fun eating cilantro! Keep fresh cilantro in your salad greens and you’ll be pleasantly protected from heavy metals the rest of your life!

http://mercuryexposure.org/index.php?article_id=66

Y. Omura has found that Chinese parsley (Clilantro) can mobilize mercury and other toxic metals rapidly from the CNS when appropriate amounts are consumed daily.9. The mobilized mercury appears to be either excreted via the stool, the urine, or translocated into more peripheral tissues. This is a revolutionary discovery makes Cilantro the first known substance that mobilizes mercury from the CNS. The active principle is unknown. Dried Cilantro does not work in my experience, which suggests that the active substance is in the volatile fat-soluble portion of the plant (probably an aromatic substance). When autonomic response testing is used, rapid changes in the brain and spinal cord after Cilantro consummation can be demonstrated, also the appearance of mercury in tissues where it was not previously found, i.e., liver, intestines (as a result of mobilization in the nervous system). Parsley also works, but often has G.!. side-effects at appropriate doses.

Last edited:

tallnomad

thanks isis for all of that great info!

dreamer--i don't know why i didn't think of crackers--duh! :) that should make a good hearty meal. whole foods sells these flaxseed crackers i might try with the salmon, either those or those thick Wassa crackers.

I'm so excited too. I'm starting this tomorrow. I pray that our hair flows and our skin glows!

MonaRae

rinygirl6 said:

Could you please post your "Healthy Hair Diet"?

Thanks!
MonaRae

tallnomad

just checking in. are you ladies still eating salmon or other fish?

so far so good for me. i've had grilled salmon since the weekend and today is the first day i'm back to my canned salmon. i'm going to have to find an alternative for this though. it takes forever for me to eat because of all of the bones!

i'm trying to be good by eating wild and organic sockeye, but the bones are too much!

what types of salmon or fish are you all eating?

tallnomad

well, i just found some info on the bones. i really don't want to eat bones but according to this, it says the bones are edible:

Pink and Chum (Keta) Salmon: These lighter-colored varieties are the most economical and are ideal for patties, soups, sandwiches and appetizer spreads.

Red (Sockeye) Salmon: This deep red variety is perfect in pastas, salads and for eating right out of the can (great when you're eating on the run or right at your desk!)
Both of these types of salmon are available in a "traditional pack" - with skin and tiny bones that are completely edible and add a rich delicious flavor as well as calcium, protein and omega-3s. For maximum health benefits, lightly mash them with a fork then blend them into the recipe. Enjoy the convenience of three can sizes: 14.75 ounces, 7.5 ounces and 3.75 ounces.