7 ways to retain length.....

Lilmama1011

7 Tips for Retaining Length in 4B/4C Natural Hair

284B HAIR 4C HAIR LENGTH RETENTION NATURAL HAIR CARE by Chinwe – November 14, 2013

Style Icon Jacqueline

By Chinwe of Hair and Health

While some naturals dislike the hair typing system, it does have its benefits for others.* One of those benefits, I think, is determining certain hair care practices that are most beneficial to our tight coils and kinks, and thus retaining length.* Here are just a few of those practices:

1. Wash in sections

Because our hair type has a tendency to shrink and tangle easily, washing in sections is ideal for retaining length.* Whether you section your hair in big braids, big twists, or via hair clips/holders, keeping the hair stretched and bound will help to prevent detangling nightmares and breakage.

2. Stretched hairstyles are your friend

This tip may sound obvious to some but still warrants mentioning.* Stretched styles – twist-outs, braid-outs, bantu knot outs, etc. – are good go-to styles when you want to wear your loose and free.* Why?* Because when our coils and kinks are stretched, they are less likely to interact with each other to form knots and tangles, which in turn can lead to premature trims and breakage.

3. Bounded styles are also your friend

Buns, twists, braids, and many other styles in this category restrict our super coily strands from interacting with each other as well.* Some bounded styles may be more effective than others depending on your hair density and texture within the type 4B/4C category.

4. Avoid harsh tools (or tools altogether) when detangling

Wide tooth seamless combs and/or our fingers are amongst the most gentle tools for our hair.* The widely spread apart teeth on the comb minimizes snagging and snapping during a detangling session.* Our fingers can do the same but more effectively (when done properly) for many of us.* As for brushes?* While not all brushes are created equal, I rarely (if ever) see a type 4B/4C natural achieve long hair using any sort of brush during detangling sessions.

5. Try to style with your fingers (instead of brushes and combs)*

Too much combing and brushing (in addition to over-stretching the hair) can contribute to mid-shaft splits. *Our kinky tresses are more prone to these kind of splits, and so we need to be more careful of using such tools excessively. *If you must use a comb or brush to style your hair, keep it to a minimum. *(Check out this post by Jc on the Natural Haven for more details on mid-shaft splits.)

6. Manipulate your hair as little as possible

The more you manipulate your hair, the more likely you are to, not only get breakage, but tangles and knots due to the nature of our tight coils.* This tip corresponds with that of number 3 – wearing bounded styles, styles that restrict our strands from interacting with one another.* Additionally, wearing such styles for a good amount of time can prevent you from over-manipulating your hair.

7. Moisturize and seal thoroughly

Every natural can probably benefit from this tip, but it is especially important for type 4B/4C hair.* Why?* Because our tight coils and kinks do not allow for as much sebum or moisture distribution as, say loose curls or straight hair.* That being said, applying some moisture and sealant to the top, sides, and bottom of your hair is not sufficient.* For some of us, separating our hair into two or three sections is not enough either.* While you obviously do not have to work strand by strand, be sure to really get “in there” AND all the way down to the ends when moisturizing and sealing.

Knotty Natural
NOVEMBER 14, 2013 AT 12:06 PM
I think the trick to avoiding SSKs (single strand knots) is to keep the ends thoroughly moisturized when wearing any style where the curls are free (twist/braid outs, afros, wash and gos (I avoid wash and gos altogether)), otherwise, hiding the ends, via protective styles is a sure fire way to avoid them. Also, using my fingers during my pre-poo process to detangle assists in creating them as well!

Thanks BGLH; I put these tips into practice when caring for my tresses and I’ve retained length for the last 2 years.

* +9

mangomadness
NOVEMBER 15, 2013 AT 1:43 AM
Tangles are inevitable but can be minimized. Braid-outs minimize tangles better than twist-outs for my kinky hair.

* +8

luminous
NOVEMBER 15, 2013 AT 9:35 PM
My hair is totally the opposite….

* +1

Knotty Natural
NOVEMBER 14, 2013 AT 12:01 PM
I like all the tips, as a 4 combination type head!

As to #7, here’s how I use the L.O.C Method to moisturize and seal my ends.

* +29

Zenith
NOVEMBER 14, 2013 AT 1:29 PM
Knotty Natural: This is a very nice video. Your hair is beautiful and healthy. Thanks so much for sharing your process with us!

* +6

JENNID
NOVEMBER 14, 2013 AT 3:27 PM
I agree nice video. Your hair looks good! Is your hair greasy at all after this or does it all soak in pretty good?

* +3

Knotty Natural
NOVEMBER 14, 2013 AT 5:00 PM
Thank you! Greasy hair is my nemesis! For this reason, I only use light -medium oils (my own herbal infusion mix of coconut and olive oil) for the oil part :)
Use the porosity of your hair to determine the most suitable oil (or products and techniques in general) for your hair
http://www.lillian-mae.com/natural-hair-essentials/porosity-density-elasticity-tests/

* +4

mangomadness
NOVEMBER 15, 2013 AT 5:40 PM
Lovely video! I just started using the LOC method and I love it. It keeps my hair moisturized for longer than my previous LC method and not greasy like the LO method.

D.P.
NOVEMBER 17, 2013 AT 11:00 PM
LOVED your video!

Jenna Marie Christian
NOVEMBER 14, 2013 AT 4:33 PM
thanks

* +1

ChiChi
NOVEMBER 14, 2013 AT 5:13 PM
great tips. I’ve been trying to use the ‘no brush’ method to see if that saves my hair.

* +1

krokan
NOVEMBER 14, 2013 AT 6:16 PM
I tried the washing my hair in twists method but it just wasn’t for me. No matter how well I thought I rinsed my hair when I went to unravel the twists there was always conditioner still stuck in the twists. So far loose washing has been working for me.
http://www.kinksandall.com

* +9

Knotty Natural
NOVEMBER 14, 2013 AT 6:28 PM
When I wash in sections, I just untwist to wash and rinse and then re-twist! The trick to avoid retangling your hair is to smooth the product in a downward manner! Hope that helps someone!

* +14

mangomadness
NOVEMBER 15, 2013 AT 7:30 AM
I have dense 4b/c hair and wash/condition in twists. I unravel and re-twist while rinsing product from my hair in sections. Everything rinses clean.

* +1

cacey
NOVEMBER 14, 2013 AT 8:23 PM
the style icon’s hair is gorgeous!

* +4

WhyMe?
NOVEMBER 16, 2013 AT 11:57 AM
+1

ac
NOVEMBER 14, 2013 AT 8:55 PM
i think these are all helpful tips. i’ve tried the finger detangling only thing and my hair doesn’t appreciate it. it certainly helps to do some separating to pull out shed hair but my denman has not failed me and I’ve retained so much growth by just not manipulating styles too much. I’d say that it’s been the best thing i’ve ever bought for my hair. only thing i have issues with is getting my entire scalp clean before all the hot water runs out. urgh to thickness! i love it but on wash days i hate it.

* +2

caleisha
NOVEMBER 15, 2013 AT 12:38 AM
ARG! I understand that hot water running out struggle!!! That made me smile :)

* +1

mangomadness
NOVEMBER 15, 2013 AT 2:36 AM
All of these tips have helped me retain length in my 4b/c hair.

1. I wash in 10 chunky twists ’cause they prevent excessive tangles and working in sections makes hair care/styling easier.

2. Braid-outs are my fav stretched style. Twist-outs lead to more tangles on my kinky hair so I do them rarely and usually on stretched hair.

3. My fav ‘bound’ style is a bun or updo done on a braid-out. They’re simple, cute and keep my hair out of the way.

4. I’ve finger-detangled exclusively since 2010. It’s greatly reduced detangling-related breakage and eliminated ‘snap, crackle & pop’ sounds.

5. I always style with my fingers and never a comb or brush. I’ve even perfected slicking/smoothing my kinky hair into a sleek bun with my hands. I only use a comb or bush to part — which happens rarely.

6. Manipulate your hair as little as possible
- I try to minimize manipulation and when I do manipulate I do so gently and carefully.

7. Moisturize and seal thoroughly
- I use the LOC method on wash day. If my hair is in an ‘-out’ style, I usually re-moisturize and re-set my hair mid-week.

* +3

Kesaine
NOVEMBER 15, 2013 AT 1:32 PM
Great tips!
sheiskesaine.blogspot.com

Cardenie
NOVEMBER 15, 2013 AT 4:05 PM
I used to wash in sections, but it’s too time consuming for me and I never felt like I cleansed my scalp well. I’ve been washing my hair loose and after adding my leave-in condish, gently sectioning again and securing with duckbill clips. After drying a bit, but still damp, I style with whatever product I’m using.

* +1

nappy headed black girl
NOVEMBER 16, 2013 AT 2:08 AM
I had to learn less manipulation the hard way. Even the wide tooth comb didn’t work for me. I eventually just started using fingers only and learned to just leave my hair be.

Twists did wonders for me. Super easy to maintain and I could get lots of wear out of them.

Esione ASAKOME
NOVEMBER 16, 2013 AT 4:59 AM
Check out this new blog for 4C chicks its pretty cool!

http://beautifullynappy.wordpress.com/

chellie
NOVEMBER 16, 2013 AT 11:28 AM
i love wearing WnG’s cause they are the easiest BUT the downside is ssk and later detangling the dry mess. my hair has gotten thin in the back probably because i didn’t take good care of it, and overmanipulated