80 Evangelical Leaders Denounced Trump For " Morally Unacceptable " Behavior

kanozas

se ven las caras pero nunca el corazón
Disclaimer: This is in no way to promote the Hilary Clinton popular vote win. This is about Christians denouncing racist and immoral behavior coming from their leadership in this country. It's not enough to sit back and wait for others to do it or think that, "Hey, G-d's got this ." He never said to sit down and be mum. What are we, as Christians, going to do about it?

http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovemen...rs_denounce_morally_unacceptable_donald_trump

80 Evangelical Christian Leaders Denounce 'Morally Unacceptable' Donald Trump

by David Badash
October 06, 2016 3:15 PM

'We Are Not Those Evangelicals'
80 evangelical Christian leaders, many well known across America, have joined together to publicly denounce the "morally unacceptable" candidacy of Donald Trump.

Saying they "simply will not tolerate the racial, religious, and gender bigotry that Donald Trump has consistently and deliberately fueled," the faith leaders note Trump "has fueled white American nationalism with xenophobic appeals and religious intolerance at the expense of gospel values, democratic principles, and important international relationships."

"No matter what other issues we also care about, we have to make it publicly clear that Mr. Trump’s racial and religious bigotry and treatment of women is morally unacceptable to us as evangelical Christians, as we attempt to model Jesus’ command to 'love your neighbors as yourself.'"

The evangelicals say they "believe that racism strikes at the heart of the gospel," and "racial justice and reconciliation is at the core of the message of Jesus."

ThinkProgress notes the signatories "include Rachel Held Evans, a blogger and best-selling author; Tony Campolo, a left-leaning evangelical author and activist; Lisa Sharon Harper, Chief Church Engagement Officer of Jim Wallis’ advocacy group Sojourners; and Shane Claiborne, author and founder of the Christian community the Simple Way."

The faith leaders write that Trump "mocks women and the sanctity of marriage vows, disregards facts and the accountability to truth, and worships wealth and shameful materialism, while taking our weakening culture of civility to nearly unprecedented levels with continuing personal attacks on others."

The billionaire real estate magnate, they continue, "has given voice to a movement that affirms racist elements in white culture—both explicit and implicit," "spread racist 'birther' falsehoods for five years trying to delegitimize and humiliate our first African-American president, characterizing him as 'the other' and not a real American citizen," and "uses fear to demonize and degrade immigrants, foreigners, and people from different racial, ethnic, and religious backgrounds."

They also take the media to task, saying a "significant mistake in American politics is the media’s continued identification of 'evangelical' with mostly white, politically conservative, older men. We are not those evangelicals. The media’s narrow labels of our community perpetuate stereotypes, ignore our diversity, and fail to accurately represent views expressed by the full body of evangelical Christians."

But despite their important stance, Christian evangelical leaders have often been slow to publicly denounce those who claim to speak for their community, including the Franklin Grahams, Tony Perkins, and Brian Browns of the anti-LGBT movement.

Their letter and the list of signatories appears in a Change.org petition.

kanozas

https://www.ewtn.com/library/curia/pcjpraci.htm

Introduction

1. Racial prejudice or racist behavior continues to trouble relations between persons, human groups and nations. Public opinion is increasingly incensed by it. Moral conscience can by no means accept it. The Church is especially sensitive to this discriminatory attitude. The message which she has drawn from biblical Revelation strongly affirms the dignity of every person created in God's image, the unity of humankind in the Creator's plan, and the dynamics of the reconciliation worked by Christ the Redeemer who has broken down the dividing wall which kept opposing worlds apart(1) in order to recapitulate all persons in him.
For this reason, the Holy Father asked the Pontifical Commission Justice and Peace to help enlighten and awaken consciences about this major concern: namely, the reciprocal respect between ethnic and racial groups as well as their fraternal coexistence. Such a task presupposes a lucid analysis of complex situations of both past and present, as well as an unbiased judgment about moral shortcomings and positive initiatives, in the light of fundamental ethical principles and the Christian message. Christ denounced evil, even at the risk of his life. He did this not to condemn but to save. Likewise, the Holy See feels that it has the duty to denounce deplorable situations prophetically. In so doing, it is careful, however, not to condemn or exclude persons. It wants, rather, to help them find a way out of such situations through concrete and progressive efforts. It wishes, with all due realism, to reinforce the hope of renewal, which is always possible, and to propose suitable pastoral guidelines for Christians and all people of good will who seek the same objectives.
This document sets out to examine, in the first place, the phenomenon of racism in the strict sense. On occasion, however, it also treats some other manifestations of conflictual attitudes, intolerance and prejudice, insofar as these have a kinship with racism or contain racist elements. In the light of its principal focus, the document thus notes the bonds which exist between certain conflicts and racial prejudice.

I. Racist Behavior Throughout History

NOTE: No attempt is made here to trace a complete history of racism, nor of the attitude of the Church in this regard. Rather, some highlights of this history are indicated, emphasizing the consistency of the teaching of the Magisterium concerning the phenomenon of racism. This by no means implies an effort to gloss over the weakness and even, at times, the complicity of certain Church leaders, as well as of other members of the Church, in this phenomenon.

2. Racist ideologies and behavior are long-standing: they are rooted in the reality of sin from the very beginning of humanity, as we can see in the biblical accounts of Cain and Abel as well as in that of the Tower of Babel.
Historically, racial prejudice, in the strict sense of the word-that is, awareness of the biologically determined superiority of one's own race or ethnic group with respect to others-developed above all from the practice of colonization and slavery at the dawn of the modern era. In rapidly considering the history of earlier major civilizations in the West as in the East, in the North as in the South, one can already find unjust and discriminatory behavior, but one cannot in every case speak about racism as such.
Greco-Roman antiquity, for example, does not seem to have known racial myths. If the Greeks were convinced of the cultural superiority of their civilization, they did not, by the same token, consider the so-called "barbarians" inferior because of innate biological reasons. Slavery doubtlessly kept many people in a deplorable situation. They were considered "things" at their masters' disposal. However, in the beginning, these were largely persons who belonged to groups conquered in war, and not persons who were despised because of their race.
[excerpted]

7. ....
The Church did not hesitate to raise her voice.(9) Pope Pius XI clearly condemned Nazi doctrines in his encyclical, Mit brennender Sorge, stating in particular: "Whosoever takes race, or the people or the State...or any other basic value of the human community...in order to withdraw them from [their] scale of values...and deify them through an idolatrous cult, overturns and falsifies the order of things created and established by God."(10) On April 13, 1938, the pope had the Sacred Congregation for Seminaries and Universities address a letter to all rectors and deans of faculties, asking all professors of theology to refute, using the method proper to each discipline, the scientific pseudo-truths with which Nazism justified its racist ideologies.(11) As early as 1937, Pius XI had begun to prepare another major encyclical on the unity of the human race which was to condemn racism and anti-Semitism. Death overtook him before he could make it public. His successor, Pope Pius XII, took certain elements from it for his first encyclical, Summi Pontificatus,(12) and especially from his 1942 Christmas message in which he stated that among the erroneous postulates of juridical positivisms "must be included a theory which claims for such and such a nation, race, class, the 'juridical instinct,' supreme imperative and norm without appeal." The pope launched a vibrant appeal for a new and better social order: "Humanity owes such a commitment to hundreds of thousands of persons who, without the slightest guilt on their part, but simply because they belong to a given race or nationality, are doomed to death or to gradual extinction."(13) In Germany itself, there was a courageous resistance on the part of the Catholic Church to which Pope John Paul II referred on April 30, 1987(14) during his second visit to that country.
This insistence on the drama of Nazi racism should not make us forget other massive exterminations of populations, such as that of the Armenians right after World War I and, more recently, for ideological reasons, that of an important part of the Cambodian people.
The memory of such crimes must never be erased. The young generations and those yet to come must know to what extremes persons and society are capable of going when they yield to the power of scorn and hatred.
In Africa and Asia, there are societies in which there is still a sharp division of castes as well as social stratifications that are difficult to overcome. The phenomenon of slavery, once more or less universal in both time and space, has not unfortunately totally disappeared. Such negative signs-and many others could be enumerated-are not always rooted in racist philosophical conceptions in the strict sense but instead reveal the existence of a rather widespread and troubling tendency to use other human beings for one's own ends and, by that very fact, to consider them of lesser value and, as it were, of an inferior status.

26. Doctrine and examples by themselves are not sufficient. The victims of racism, wherever they may be, must be defended. Acts of discrimination among persons and peoples for racist or other reasons-religious or ideological-and which lead to contempt and to the phenomena of exclusion, must be denounced and brought to light without hesitation and strongly rejected in order to promote equitable behavior, legislative dispositions and social structures.
An increasing number of people have become more sensitive to this injustice and are opposing all forms of racism. They may be doing so out of religious conviction or for humanitarian reasons. This inspires them at times to stand up against repression by certain powers, or at least against the pressures of a sectarian public opinion, and to face scorn and imprisonment. Christians do not hesitate, with the necessary discernment, to assume their responsibilities in this struggle for the dignity of their brothers and sisters, always showing a preference for non-violent means.(65)

27. In her denunciations of racism, however, the Church tries to maintain an evangelical attitude with regard to all. This is undoubtedly her particular gift. While she is not afraid to examine lucidly the evils of racism and disapprove of them, even to those who are responsible for them, she also seeks to understand how these people could have reached that point. She would like to help them find a reasonable way out of the impasse in which they find themselves. Just as God does not take pleasure at the death of a sinner,(66) the Church aspires more to helping them if they consent to remedy the injustice committed. She is also concerned with preventing victims from having recourse to violent struggle and thus falling into a racism similar to that which they are rejecting. The Church wishes to be a place for reconciliation and does not want to heighten opposition. She invites all to act in such a way that hatred be banished. She preaches love. She patiently prepares a change in mentality without which structural changes would be in vain.

(The entire document is incredible and calls us to action. Lives are at stake. When I see Black people turning up their noses at immigrants and Muslims, I am shocked at the level of ignorance and prejudice. The worst victim in this growing genocide is going to be Black people and Jews. Awaken, please! )

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
Thank you for sharing this post and especially for making the disclaimer regarding Hillary Clinton, that this does not validate her as a better candidate. Neither Trump or Clinton are worthy to lead this nation. They are equally substandard.

I am happy these Ministers have taken a stand.

VirtuousGal

I have such mixed feelings about this, but to be fair, I've been a bit bitter. My heart has grieved over the church's general apathy toward the plight of people of color in these last couple of years, and even leading up to this election. So many of them were either quiet as a goldfish or not so subtly urging people to "vote their morals" which often was a thinly veiled attempt at directing Christians to vote for Trump's flimsy flip flop Christian-esque (hardly) values.

Why now? I mean, on the one hand, I appreciate them being vocal, but on the other hand...something about it hurts. Why were you (the church, white churches especially) so freakin quiet all this time? Why do you care now? Because it's more palpable or members or your family are complaining? Because you suddenly can't believe how far racist, sexist hateful Americans would go? Did their nephew/uncle/cousin/niece/daughter/son finally end up on the other side of bigoted aggression or violence. If so, why did it take all of that for you to finally give a darn?

If one of us is hurt, the whole body of Christ is supposed to feel that hurt and come to its aid. Where on earth have they been?
So many of them had their heads buried in the ground and offered very little support, if any at all.
Some of these non-denominational churches too! I mean, Blacks come out in record numbers to so many of these churches, worshipping the Lord alongside these people who smile in your face but don't care about you enough to consider the very real threat you face in this perilous, racially fueled time. I can't help but think some of these people are wolves in sheep's clothing.

I hope I'm not derailing too hard but it feels so "White privilegy" to suddenly give a darn now that Trump has offended and endangered so many groups outside of Black folks that many White folks are effected because they some how some way managed to fall in the crosshairs at the intersectionality, far wide reach of his bigotry.

II feel so Black right now, I just want all Black everything right now---churches, banks, schools, shops, everything. We really need to look out for our own, and pray fiercely for our people.

Shimmie

Staff member
@VirtuousGal

I'm not sure where you worship, however numerous Ministries have been quite proactive long before this election and have continued to be so. Leave it to the media to keep to it hidden.

There are many reasons why Clinton did not win, too many looked to her as their god. (small caps on purpose). If nothing more, God allowed Trump to win to bring this country back to prayer and repentance.

The way to over rule Trump is by prayer, intercessory prayer and to allow God to be our leader, and our provider and protector...not mere man.

The Word of God is clear, that when we turn our hearts unto God, He will hear our cry and He will answer us and deliver us from our enemies. The Word has never failed and it never will.

"Quit ye like men, be strong..." (Stop being fearful; stop whining...be strong in the Lord who will never fail.

kanozas

I have such mixed feelings about this, but to be fair, I've been a bit bitter. My heart has grieved over the church's general apathy toward the plight of people of color in these last couple of years, and even leading up to this election. So many of them were either quiet as a goldfish or not so subtly urging people to "vote their morals" which often was a thinly veiled attempt at directing Christians to vote for Trump's flimsy flip flop Christian-esque (hardly) values.

Why now? I mean, on the one hand, I appreciate them being vocal, but on the other hand...something about it hurts. Why were you (the church, white churches especially) so freakin quiet all this time? Why do you care now? Because it's more palpable or members or your family are complaining? Because you suddenly can't believe how far racist, sexist hateful Americans would go? Did their nephew/uncle/cousin/niece/daughter/son finally end up on the other side of bigoted aggression or violence. If so, why did it take all of that for you to finally give a darn?

If one of us is hurt, the whole body of Christ is supposed to feel that hurt and come to its aid. Where on earth have they been?
So many of them had their heads buried in the ground and offered very little support, if any at all.
Some of these non-denominational churches too! I mean, Blacks come out in record numbers to so many of these churches, worshipping the Lord alongside these people who smile in your face but don't care about you enough to consider the very real threat you face in this perilous, racially fueled time. I can't help but think some of these people are wolves in sheep's clothing.

I hope I'm not derailing too hard but it feels so "White privilegy" to suddenly give a darn now that Trump has offended and endangered so many groups outside of Black folks that many White folks are effected because they some how some way managed to fall in the crosshairs at the intersectionality, far wide reach of his bigotry.

II feel so Black right now, I just want all Black everything right now---churches, banks, schools, shops, everything. We really need to look out for our own, and pray fiercely for our people.
No derailing occurred with this post at all. I feel very much the same. To me, the last days and this "anti-Christ" or man of perdition and that system looks like this. It's no coincidence that Syrian Christian's have been ignored in their plight. It"s no coincidence to me that Christians and other pro-life have been steered towards one side that have never done anything about making abortion illegal

This is part of the deception and attitudes. I've seen many posts on FB about how "dumb" fundamentalists are. It's code to hate all Christians. Before long, friends and families,neighbors and colleagues will join in openly. Sad times.

Shimmie

Staff member
No derailing occurred with this post at all. I feel very much the same. To me, the last days and this "anti-Christ" or man of perdition and that system looks like this. It's no coincidence that Syrian Christian's have been ignored in their plight. It"s no coincidence to me that Christians and other pro-life have been steered towards one side that have never done anything about making abortion illegal

This is part of the deception and attitudes. I've seen many posts on FB about how "dumb" fundamentalists are. It's code to hate all Christians. Before long, friends and families,neighbors and colleagues will join in openly. Sad times.
That's not necessarily true, regarding deception. Also, calling someone dumb, for voting their concious is unmerited, it is uncalled for. People have a right to vote, period. They also have the right to choose whom they feel may support their values.

The problem is the devalue that has evolved in ALL of society...ALL. A deteriation of values and Godly hearts in these candidates.

Morality has been lost in this world, and those who honor and cherish God have the fundamental right to at the very least, hope that some form of moral restoration will evolve from the candidate they have voted for. This doesn't make them dumb, it makes them proactive in their faith...voting for the one whom they hope they can persuade to do better.

kanozas

Talking specifically about the culmination of evil in the end and the great deception. To me, it's a part of that because it ties in perfectly with racism and hatred, which is growing in the world. I think people believe it's going to be chips in fingers for buying and selling and a dictator persecuting the religious. Well, how will people get there? Right where they are now. Even Christians Ignoring the problems of the world and hiding their heads in the sand. As for the non-Christian world, it's easier than ever to defame them. ISIS is a perfect example of that end-days hatred but so is White racism from the days of colonization until now.

For Catholics, anti-Christ is a certain type of evil and there have been several of them. There will come the main one some day. But, imo, we're ripe for it because even "good" people have allowed themselves to blind their eyes and dull their senses. There are many more facets to this but I am focusing on the racism. It's disgusting. Black people need to know WWII intimately and all the populations affected who were sent to camps. It could be a matter of life and death for your families.

Last edited:

Shimmie

Staff member
It's more of a spiritual battle than a black battle. The racial issues are indeed an issue, however it is also a distraction, to get the focus away from God, who has always had the answers, not man.

Instead of God, far too many black americans looked to obama for new hope and redemption, but what did God show us through him? Obama choose another group's cause over Black causes, he bent over forward and backwards , sideways and above for the gay agenda...he made it a priority over Blacks.

It was during Obama's focus on protecting gays, that one black man after, one black teen after another, the lives of black women were being taken out by the hands of white officers. And these officers were each aquitted. The highest in record shootings , killings, murders of black lives in black communities have occurred in Obama's terms in office.

The horrendous massacre of the precious 9 nines in the Church in Charleston, SC...during Obama's reign.

YET..., he continued with his priority for gay rights and their protection, legislation in the Supreme court to insure their rights, yet no push to end the violence against black lives whose blood still cries from the ground for justice and retribution.

What's happening now is the response from racist whites, that if the Black's -- Black president didn't care, why should anyone else care? It's a seed of racist injustice whose seeds were long planted, yet Obama watered, with his choice which was / is ...not us. His focus...not us. His priority...not us.

It's long overdue for folks to get right with God, to put more focus on God allowing Him to lead and show us HIS way...the right way to handle this. God is the right way to uproot racism...the sure way to untrump donald trump, for he is not God nor can he trump God.

I do not fear that man, trump! I do not fear any racist. I trust God... I love God far above all of this. No one can, no one has ever...stopped God from ruling. No one ever will.

To God be all the glory, Always...and forever, Amen.

kanozas

I don't see things as one-sided or concentrated to a few points- rather, the world and it's problems are very large. I don't "fear" anybody either, here nor there, "holy" nor "evil." I can tell you by second-hand knowledge and some first-hand...when you come in the face of evil from dictators, militarized forces etc., you will have some fear (but not fear of your soul). I have my eyes opened, though. Social justice is in OUR hands. WE are the hands of G-d in this matter and our omissions will be judged one day. It's a matter of perception. Mine differs from yours, definitely and I can't discount the feelings of the other poster because I understand her and you. IMO, we are repeating history word-for-word and going down the tube blindly. SMH.

Everyone has his chance...from birth to death...has nothing to do with End Times because one's time is up when he dies. Still, I know what you are saying. As for Black people, that's only part of the story here. Look around at what else is happening, it's fierce. Americans are generally consumed by apathy and that is a shame. I also see the push of disruption to usher in someone promising peace. Not blind here in the least.

Last edited:

kanozas

https://sojo.net/articles/social-justice-christian-tradition-not-liberal-agenda

By Stephen Mattson 08-11-2015
Print
Many Christians are wary of participating in social justice because of a deep-rooted fear of being labeled “liberal,” “progressive,” or “secular.” They don’t want to be associated with “secular” movements, and are uncomfortable delving into issues that go beyond their cultural comfort zones.

But the Bible tells us that Jesus cared deeply about the social causes around him.

Instead of saying all lives matter, Jesus said, “Samaritan lives matter.”
Instead of saying all lives matter, Jesus said, “Children’s lives matter.”
Instead of saying all lives matter, Jesus said, “Gentile lives matter.”
Instead of saying all lives matter, Jesus said, “Jewish lives matter.”
Instead of saying all lives matter, Jesus said, “Women’s lives matter.”
Instead of saying all lives matter, Jesus said, “Lepers’ lives matter.”

Even though Jesus loves everyone, even to the point of dying for their sins, he went out of his way to intentionally help specific groups of people — the alienated, mistreated, and those facing injustice.

So saying “Black Lives Matter” and participating in a movement seeking justice, positive reform, and empowerment is one of the most Christ-like things we can do.

Instead of saying all lives matter, Jesus said, “Women’s lives matter.”
Christians must recognize that our society is filled with numerous groups and communities facing systemic oppression, and we must act. We must be willing to admit and address the complex realities within our world that create such problems, and avoid the spiritual laziness that tempts us to rely on generic excuses and solutions.

Christians do a disservice to the gospel message by removing the cultural context from Jesus’s ministry and watering down his message to one of religious platitudes. We like to generalize the words of Jesus and transform his life into a one-size-fits-all model that can apply to all of humanity.

Throughout the New Testament Jesus was more complex than we give him credit for.

He intentionally, purposefully, and passionately addressed very specific causes. He radically addressed the diverse and complicated conflicts of the time and shattered the status quo.

Jesus wasn’t just preaching a universal salvation message for the world, but he was also addressing specific political, social, and racial issues. He was helping those who were being abused, violated, and oppressed.

Involving ourselves within these issues — serving those who need justice — is an example of following Jesus that today’s Christians must adhere to, because throughout the world there are millions of people who are suffering. But many Christians remain simply apathetic, ignorant, or refuse to admit any problems exist.

They’re uncomfortable facing the complex and controversial issues surrounding race, ethnicity, history, and culture.

To avoid such discomfort, many Christians assume that equality and justice looks like a total dismissal — and rejection of — any cultural, ethnic, or distinguishing form of identity. They believe our very humanity should supersede all other labels or descriptions, and that a love of Christ wipes away any “superficial” characteristic such as skin color, heritage, or other cultural identifier.

They see verses such as Galatians 3:28 that states, “ There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus” (NIV) to mean that nothing else matters beyond our faith in Christ.

Ironically, verses like this show that these things — race, ethnicity, culture — DO matter to God, because God is recognizing the very public fact that there are various laws, expectations, practices, and opinions regarding each distinction mentioned.

Paul is validating all of the cultural issues associated with Jews, Gentiles, slaves, the free, men, and women rather than disregarding them. He’s stating that Jesus is relevant to these differences, and is working throughout their lives by understanding and recognizing the unique pros and cons they’re dealing with — the privileges, disadvantages, stereotypes, assumptions, treatment, rights, social value, and expectations they face on a daily basis.

Participating in social justice is a Christian tradition inspired by Jesus, not liberal causes, populist agendas, media platforms, lawmakers, or mainstream fads. It’s a deeply spiritual practice.

Instead of being motivated by political affiliations, financial gain, power, pride, control, or our own secular motivations, we should be active participants for the sake of following Jesus — for the purpose of glorifying God by through acts of justice, empowerment, and love.

Participating in social justice is a Christian tradition inspired by Jesus, not liberal causes.
Because everyone is created in the image of God and loved by God, we are responsible for identifying with the victimized — not rejecting their existence.

That’s why the New Testament goes into great depth detailing the newfound worth given to the Gentiles, slaves, and women. These countercultural instructions to believers were radically progressive, to the point where the gospel writers had to put them in writing to make sure they were implemented within the newly formed church.

While God does love everyone and all believers are united in Christ, this doesn’t negate the fact that we have a unique cultural identity and upbringing and are called to recognize the marginalized, help the oppressed, and avoid rejecting their significance by denying their identity or ignoring their plight.

By acknowledging and actively participating in the #blacklivesmatter movement, addressing racism, immigration, gender equality, and a litany of other issues, you are following in the steps of Jesus.

It’s not a matter of pitting social causes against the gospel message of Christ; it’s a matter of realizing that these causes ARE actually an important part of that gospel message.

Stephen Mattson

Stephen Mattson is a writer who currently resides in the Twin Cities, Minn. You can follow him on Twitter (@mikta) or on Facebook.

Last edited: