9-1-1!!! HELP!!! EMERGENCY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mly3e

The comb is stuck.
I have long strands of hair coming out of my head! The only thing new to routine is less washing and I have been using surge. My hair is dry. My scalp is tight, and the long strands have little white bulbs on the end. What's going on? What do I do to stop it??

I was finger combing my hair last night hen I realized QUITE A FEW strands were coming out like this! I'll be back at 2 to find out yall advice. Please help!

Crystena77

I believe in another thread they said that the hairs with the bulbs on the end is indicative of normal shedding.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure.

DigitalRain

Remember its normal to shed hair!!! If its from root its just shedding.

Now if you were pulling out handfuls, then you may have cause to worry.

Crystena77

I've also noticed the same thing too - I have more than usual hair coming out and my hair is drier than normal. I attributed it to the weather and have taken to spraying my hair with water now more often during the day - since my hair is in a bun most of the time, the water doesn't hurt my hairstyle.

mly3e

The comb is stuck.
NO! It's not normal shedding. I shed more during the winter months of NOV. & DEC. but this is straight up crazy. This is from the root. I actually scared yall. Is it the Surge? Help pleeeease!

DigitalRain

I don't understand why you are upset? Shedding is when hair falls out by the root, so it has the little bulb on the end. You said that you shed more in NOV and DEC just this is just the 6th day of January.

Unless you are pulling out excessive amounts of hair or hair that is breaking right at the root, I don't see why you should worry.

Nonie

I wonder....

Since you shed hair when it reaches the end of its growth cycle, could it be that the hairs that still had a few days/weeks to go before completing their cycle got a boost from Surge and so arrived at the point sooner...catching up with those that were due to shed now anyway...hence the greater volume?
Just a thought.

[ETA: But don't take our word for it. If you are really worried, collect the hairs and count them. I'm serious. Count them to see if they exceed 100 (some say 150). If not, then you're OK. If they do, then see a doctor to make sure your total health is on par.]

AngelaP

You're shedding. I was shedding really bad over the holidays and I went out and bought that garlic shampoo. I've already seen a difference. But good lawd...that stuff stinks. I should have gotten the unscented kind.

KinksnCurlz

Could it be that your hair is not appreciating your new routine of less washings? For me, if my hair is not washed at least once a week i experience a lot of breakage/shedding. Since I don't use surge i can't comment on that being your culprit. I would say either you go back to what you know (washing more) OR stop using the surge for at least 7 days.

Allandra

[ QUOTE ]
mly3e said:
NO! It's not normal shedding. I shed more during the winter months of NOV. & DEC. but this is straight up crazy. This is from the root. I actually scared yall. Is it the Surge? Help pleeeease!

[/ QUOTE ]
Shedding IS hair from the root.

Allandra

[ QUOTE ]
CaramelHonee said:
Could it be that your hair is not appreciating your new routine of less washings? For me, if my hair is not washed at least once a week i experience a lot of breakage/shedding. Since I don't use surge i can't comment on that being your culprit. I would say either you go back to what you know (washing more) OR stop using the surge for at least 7 days.

[/ QUOTE ]
Good point CaramelHonee.

Nonie

I seriously think when you see a lot of shedding, it's because you have a growth spurt ie more hairs reaching the end of their growth cycle faster. Be it because of a season change (some pple's hair grows faster in certain seasons), or because of a regimen (including diet) change. I never expect to eliminate shedding altogether. I believe it's normal to shed daily and so I have learned to live with it and "lose no hairs" about it. (Pun intended, coz stress will make you lose hair!)

Nonie

That's right Simone, so can malnutrition, vitamin A toxicity, oral contraceptives, chronic infections... The list is endless. So that's why if you find you are convinced that your shedding is abnormal, it's better to get a doctor's opinion than to use trial and error to try and fix the problem.

pookeylou

[ QUOTE ]
simone103 said:
Shedding can also be a sign of iron difficiency.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent comment...

Could also be stress...dehydration...hormone changes.

Quick questions...

Why did you change your washing routine?
Do you use shampoo?
How much water do you drink a day?
Do you take a multivitamin?
Are you on a protein rich diet?
Why did you begin using the Surge? (Was your hair shedding before the Surge?)
Do you exercise?

Not saying Surge couldnt be the problem...but if your diet is not all that healthy, you dont drink a lot of water, if you are under a unusual amount of stress, if your water is hard and you are using drying shampoos...THEN you started using SURGE...it would make sense that you would loose some hair...

Just retrace your hair steps...see what has changed...what bad habits you may need to break...and if neccesary...pare down to the SIMPLEST routine for your hair...condition wash...air dry...leave alone. Then start adding vitamins or other things you would like to try every two weeks or so...and see what your hair tells you.

mly3e

The comb is stuck.
Simone103 you are a GENIUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You made me remember that I had a blood test done last week and I was supposed to call yesterday for the results. MY IRON IS LOW! Thanks for bringing that up. Thanks a lot!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
[ QUOTE ]
CaramelHonee said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with Caramel Honee!

Healthb4Length

It's shedding, as long as there are white bulbs on the end of the hair you will be okay (granted it's not excessive shedding from hormones or meds). Your hair is probably just going through some thangs because of the change of weather/holiday stress etc. Other than that I wouldn't worry anymore.

shae

It sounds like your hair is shedding, which is a normal process. If your hair is breaking you will not see the bulb of the hair (root). Remember Black hair should be moisturized every day no exceptions. If you have hair breakage I would recommend APHOGEE treatment for dammage hair. Stops hair breakage and Rebuilds hair structure. It is a protein treatment. Make sure you purchase the APHOGGE
treatment that require you to use hood dryer. Protein treatment will become hard on the hair. This is the only product to stop breakage. After you rinse product from hair . Apply APHOGEE Balancing moisturizer to you hair. This will make your hair soft. If you use protein treatment on your hair it will sometimes make you hair dry or hard. You can purchase ApHOGEE at any Beauty Supply Store. Whenever I have breakage I always use it. The Aphogee bottle will say:TREATMENT FOR DAMAGE HAIR.

mly3e

The comb is stuck.
Thank you!

Thank You all. You have calmed me down and given me great advice. I will be changing my routine and i will let you all know how it goes.