9.5 Month Transition Ended.... :) *PICS*

twinkletoes17

Night after night I would be on the phone with my SO, either complaining about my hair or embracing it. In other words, my hair made me bipolar. I couldn't wait to become fully natural! At the same time, I missed my straight hair oh so much. I deliberated hard about this one. The last time I stretched/transitioned, I lasted 5.5 months before relaxing. I missed my curls almost immediately. So far I'm not missing my curls a bit :look:

I constantly thought, "When I'm natural, what will I do?" I don't have time to be doing braidouts, twistouts, trying to stretch my hair so it's more manageable. Washing in sections? I tried to do that while transitioning. I'm very lazy. I successfully washed in sections once. I noticed a big difference, but no way could I do that all the time. I saw pictures of my relaxed hair, then it hit me. I was fixing what wasn't broken. My last detangling session was the last straw. So much matted hair. If Stevie Wonder stuck his fingers in my hair, he would've thought he was touching the head of Ziggy Marley. With a lot of patience I detangled without losing too much hair. I'm very lucky my hair looks the way it does. Yes, I'm in need of a trim, but my length is still there. With all the panicking, I'm more than pleased with the results. I'll have to take better care of my hair however. Okay, quick rant's over.

I cowashed with Aphogee 2-Minute on Wednesday and then detangled my hair yesterday. I kept my hair in braids till this morning, bunned, and was off to the salon, anxious!

I always like to post Before and After pics :)

Here are some pics of my coils and new growth (some of the ones I took this morning were too blurry so I added some from late April):

Shrinkage!

I was a hot mess this morning :(

I managed to put my hair in a bun before heading off to the salon:

And here's my hair post-relaxer :grin:

I was too lazy to get up so I took some with the webcam on my laptop lol:

Edges:

Lastly, can I claim anything? My bra is like MBL or lower so it's hard for me to determine anything between APL and WL lol (ignore back fat pleeeease):

twinkletoes17

Uh oh. The pictures are a bit large. I apologise :(

Don't quote them in that case. We don't want fellow cousins of Niko complaining.

malibu4590

Your hair looks nice! You had a lot of new growth and look at least MBL. Seems like you have a good stylist because it's obvious he/she took good care of you today!

Anacaona

You hair looks great and I'm glad you were able to come to a decision that ultimately was the best for you and your needs.

My Friend

Your hair looks great! Keep up the good work.

ETA: My vote says your.......................... MBL :yep:

Last edited:

HairSupremacy

Twinkletoes17!! My long lost hair twin!!! Where have you been? Your hair curls up exactly like mine, really tight. I loved the curls in your hair. I am currently 8 months post with no plans for relaxing in the near future. I want to have a full head of tight curls, but I am not in any rush. Your hair is beautiful relaxed also!!

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
Your hair turned out beautifully! :up: I'm glad you decided what's best for you. I'm currently going through the same deliberation, wondering if I'm trying to fix something that's not broken :look:

Ese88

i think we have a similar hair type & i have been transitioning for 8 months & am planning to relax next week. i get what you mean about the bipolar thing too. im constantly asking my FH what to do & keep changing my mind about my hair

Last edited:

teacherjess

Your hair is gorgeous! I really needed to read this post. I am attempting my first super long stretch (26 weeks) and have lately been considering transitioning while I'm at it...but then when I really think about it I am happy relaxed, even though I am addicted to touching my new growth...I just want to relax less often and with proper care to eliminate thinning and damage. I can still get my "texture fix" from tight flexi sets and braidouts.
Again your hair is gorgeous at both states/ textures!:yep:

Adaoba2012

I completely agree with you about the bipolar feeling! I had stretched for like 5 months and I thought I was transitioning but I kept going back and forth and kept asking my sister what I should do. I ended up relaxing at 5 months post and I couldn't be happier. I think I had jumped on the bandwagon since a lot of people are currently transitioning and I was trying to fix what wasn't even broken. I'm happy with my decision to stay relaxed and I'm glad you are too! Your hair is lovely I would say you are BSL!

twinkletoes17

Twinkletoes17!! My long lost hair twin!!! Where have you been? Your hair curls up exactly like mine, really tight. I loved the curls in your hair. I am currently 8 months post with no plans for relaxing in the near future. I want to have a full head of tight curls, but I am not in any rush. Your hair is beautiful relaxed also!!

Thank you. My hair was super tight and coily. Don't get me wrong, they were beautiful and I enjoyed touching them. It's just that they were so tight and tangled so easily. Plus, they drank moisturizer like it was nothing. Minutes after spray moisturizer on my hair, my hair was dry all over again lol. Wishing you a successful transition :yep:

twinkletoes17

Your hair turned out beautifully! :up: I'm glad you decided what's best for you. I'm currently going through the same deliberation, wondering if I'm trying to fix something that's not broken :look:

Mhm! That's the key. Going natural isn't for everyone. I'm glad I was able to go deep into my transition to get the gist of it. I wonder what my hair would be like if I was completely natural. I know there'd be a lot of stress and frustration involved though lol.

Don't do anything on impulse is what I can say :) There are a lot of people that BC or relax and then regret it straight away.

twinkletoes17

I completely agree with you about the bipolar feeling! I had stretched for like 5 months and I thought I was transitioning but I kept going back and forth and kept asking my sister what I should do. I ended up relaxing at 5 months post and I couldn't be happier. I think I had jumped on the bandwagon since a lot of people are currently transitioning and I was trying to fix what wasn't even broken. I'm happy with my decision to stay relaxed and I'm glad you are too! Your hair is lovely I would say you are BSL!

Same thing here :)

A lot of transitioners, BC threads. I immediately assumed it was my calling as well. Obviously it wasn't. People don't realise how serious hair can be. It's great to have someone to talk to lol.

Thanks for the support ladies! I hope my thread was helpful :)