A book for a Christian beginner

Britt

What is a good book that is easy to digest, and clear cut for someone who'd be interested in learning more about the spiritual aspects of Christianity ? A book that covers, faith, divine order, health, peace, a relationship with God... I'm looking for an overall general book that is a good read that will open my mind. I guess the Bible would be a good start, but I am overwhelmed when I read it, therefore I mainly read the Gospels, Pslams and Proverbs.

Nice & Wavy

Growing in Christ, 2 Volumes in 1: Lessons on Assurance and Lessons on Christian Living
Nav Press / 1980 / Paperback

You know Christ, but you're not sure how to grow in Christ. These classic Navigators studies are your best guide! Lessons on Assurance includes five studies on the key promises God gives to you as a Christian. Lessons on Christian Living includes eight studies on major scriptural principles for your spiritual growth. Great for new believers! 72 pages, softcover from NavPress.

Hope this helps!

ETA: you can purchase it here:

http://www.christianbook.com/Christ...72&netp_id=109609&event=HPT&item_code=WW#curr

alexstin

Kingdom Principles by Myles Munroe. It really gives a great understanding of the Father's nature, His heart towards us, why Jesus died, what Jesus taught, and the purpose of man.

kweenameena

Growing in Christ, 2 Volumes in 1: Lessons on Assurance and Lessons on Christian Living
Nav Press / 1980 / Paperback

You know Christ, but you're not sure how to grow in Christ. These classic Navigators studies are your best guide! Lessons on Assurance includes five studies on the key promises God gives to you as a Christian. Lessons on Christian Living includes eight studies on major scriptural principles for your spiritual growth. Great for new believers! 72 pages, softcover from NavPress.

Hope this helps!

ETA: you can purchase it here:

http://www.christianbook.com/Christ...72&netp_id=109609&event=HPT&item_code=WW#curr

off to buy it!!!!

Chrissy811

Living the Christian Life by Charles Stanley is excellent...he has a wonderful way of explaining things.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Also, there is a version of the Bible called the Easy to Read version. It really is to the point with very simple vocabulary, none of the "thees" and "thous." :lol:

dreamer26

Also, there is a version of the Bible called the Easy to Read version. It really is to the point with very simple vocabulary, none of the "thees" and "thous." :lol:

I like all the suggestions, but I second this one because the more of God's word you get in you at this young age while you are hungry for the word, the harder it is for the devil to take it away.

Sometimes we can get caught up in what Dr. Bishop, Reverend, Pastor, Evangelist said and not what the Lord said.

I stuck with the hard to read King James Version and I would read a little and then pray and ask God for understanding and he would do just that. I was in a great church getting the word explained and now I can't stand it if it doesn't have the Thee's and the Thous. :grin:

Britt

I like all the suggestions, but I second this one because the more of God's word you get in you at this young age while you are hungry for the word, the harder it is for the devil to take it away.

Sometimes we can get caught up in what Dr. Bishop, Reverend, Pastor, Evangelist said and not what the Lord said.

I stuck with the hard to read King James Version and I would read a little and then pray and ask God for understanding and he would do just that. I was in a great church getting the word explained and now I can't stand it if it doesn't have the Thee's and the Thous. :grin:

Thanks Dreamer.
I've been trying, trying to set aside a little time at night to read my Bible. I have a pretty clear Bible, it's NIV, student like Bible. I can read books, but still read the Bible and see how the two go hand in hand :yep:. I always feel comforted when I read the Psalms.. but I'm venturing out and started reading from Genesis :spinning:.

Evolving78

Renewing the Mind: The Foundation of Success by Casey Treat
I loved this book and it has small exercises of the chapters. I read this book for a ten week class I took at church a few years ago. I still go back and read it some time.

dreamer26

Thanks Dreamer.
I've been trying, trying to set aside a little time at night to read my Bible. I have a pretty clear Bible, it's NIV, student like Bible. I can read books, but still read the Bible and see how the two go hand in hand :yep:. I always feel comforted when I read the Psalms.. but I'm venturing out and started reading from Genesis :spinning:.

Yes, and God knows your heart and he'll lead and guide you. So don't get too overwhelmed if you don't understand it all the first time you read it. You won't learn it all on this side of glory. And just when you think you understand that scripture the Lord just might show you something else about it. So study and be open to the Holy Spirit and let this be a fun time of loving on the Lord, learning his ways and building a relationship with him.

Your best days are ahead of you rejoice and be glad in it.

Love ya.

Britt

Yes, and God knows your heart and he'll lead and guide you. So don't get too overwhelmed if you don't understand it all the first time you read it. You won't learn it all on this side of glory. And just when you think you understand that scripture the Lord just might show you something else about it. So study and be open to the Holy Spirit and let this be a fun time of loving on the Lord, learning his ways and building a relationship with him.

Your best days are ahead of you rejoice and be glad in it.

Love ya.

Awwww, thanks Dreamer :rosebud:

momi

More than a Carpenter - John McDowell
The Case for Christ - Lee Strobel ( I think this book was recently made into a movie but I haven't seen it yet)

These books helped me be understand why I believe what I believe. Prior to I was just going through the motions and had no answer for why I believed.

:2inlove:

Sarabellam

I like the inductive study bible. It encourages you to slow down and highlight important phrases in the Bible to notice themes. It’s also nice because it gives a space at the beginning of each chapter to write in the main lessons. And you’re encouraged to write in pencil with the expectation that what you get from the chapter may change as you mature in Christ.

I’m following DA Carson’s bible study plan of 2 chapters a day. You can find the plan for free online. He wrote two books to accompany a 2 year reading plan. You can access the books for free as well if you would like some commentary to help guide you beyond the inductive study method.