A fundamentalist view on the recent death penalty

Ithacagurl

:look:

Anything To Save a Killer

The death penalty has been a hot topic in the news. It came up during the Republican presidential debate, and there was nonstop media coverage leading up to the day Troy Davis was executed for his crime.

The liberal media has an intense obsession with doing everything it can to shape public opinion against capital punishment. During one of the GOP debates, NBC’s Brian Williams asked Governor Rick Perry if he ever struggled to sleep at night over the decision to execute an inmate. This was a prime example of the liberal bias. I don't think he would ask a liberal politician about sleeping at night if he or she favored abortion or choice.

I did a series of Google searches on the death penalty, and I couldn't believe how one-sided the press is on this subject. If I didn't know true reality, I would conclude from the news stories that everyone on death row was innocent of the crime that has the inmates facing a date with an executioner.

It just doesn't make sense that there would be such eagerness to defend people who have commited some of the most evil acts in human history. The left is so persistent in its defense of criminals that it now takes an average of nineteen years to put a murderer to death. Last year, David Lee Powell was put to death after spending thirty-one years on death row.

The liberal media will raise a fuss if anything odd transpires during an execution. Several years ago, Allen Davis was put to death in the electric chair. While they were giving him the juice, he suffered a nosebleed. The press immediately declared the electric chair too barbaric and demanded an end to all executions using this method.

The press ignored what happened to Davis' victims. There is no weeping for the spilled blood of the Weiler family. Nancy Weiler and her two children were savagely murdered by Davis. Nancy, who was three months pregnant at the time, was "beaten almost beyond recognition" by Davis with a .357 Magnum. He then shot Weiler's two daughters, Kristina (9, shot twice in the face) and Katherine (5, shot as she was trying to run away).

In May, Benny Stevens, put to death for the murder of his ex-wife, Glenda Reid, her husband, Wesley Reid, her eleven-year-old son, Dylan Lee, and Lee's ten-year-old friend Heath Pounds at the Reids' trailer in rural Marion County in October 1998 in a dispute over child support payments. Stevens’ execution was special because it was the first conducted with a new lethal injection cocktail. Apparently, we have plenty of drugs that can stop the heart and breathing of a criminal, but there is endless debate over whether these drugs result in a moment of discomfort. I'm sure the people Stevens killed had a moment of discomfort.

Why did is take eighteen years to put William Garner to death? On January 26, 1992, Garner stole an apartment key from a woman's purse while she was being treated at a local hospital emergency room. Then, he admitted going to her home to "take her things." While stealing a television, a VCR, a telephone, and a radio boom box from the apartment, Garner noticed six children, ages eight to thirteen, who were sleeping in the apartment that night. On his way out, he set fire to the apartment, even though he knew there were children inside. The five youngest children died of smoke inhalation.

Another way the death penalty has become a joke is the growing number of people who eventually walk free from prison still guilty of the crimes that originally earned them a death sentence. Gaile Owens was scheduled for execution for the murder of her husband. Owens hired a man to kill her husband. Sidney Porterfield, who is now sixty-eight and on death row, accepted the job and struck the man twenty-one times with a tire iron. Former governor Phil Bredesen commuted Gaile Owens' death sentence to life in prison in July 2010, and a parole board has now voted to set her free. I'm sure Mr. Porterfield is saying, "Hey, what about me?"

I think the reason the devil is so active in combating the death penalty is because he faces the ultimate death sentence–damnation in hell fire. Jesus said Satan was a “murderer from the beginning” (John 8:44). Satan may think that if he can find pardons for his earthly minions, maybe somehow the same twisted logic can be appled to him.

If people understood God’s final verdict on sin, there wouldn't be nineteen years of appeals or whining over the methods of execution. The Bible plainly says, "Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man" (Gen. 9:6). Death in this world is of minor importance. The second death is the one we should all seek God’s mercy to avoid.

"But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death" (Rev. 21:8 NKJV).

“And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire” (Rev. 20 13-15).

-- Todd

aribell

formerly nicola.kirwan
Yes, :look: is a good expression in reaponse to this article

The system is corrupt, but I think it's perverse and controlling to keep people in prison for decades on end.

Sent from my LS670 using LS670

diadall

I am against the death penalty but not for reasons for people think.

I think death is too good for people who commit horrendous acts. Look at Timothy McViegh (sp). He gave the middle finger and went to sleep.

It doesn't make you feel better. I think people on death row should live out their natural lives thinking about what they did and watch the world pass them by. I think they should have no cable, good food and activities like the gym and reading (but that is cruel and unusual).

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
My problem with the death penalty is the danger of someone 'innocent' being put to death, unjustly.

There has to be a better method than 'Judge and Jury' to make this decision upon someone's life. We need DEFINITE proof beyond certainty that a person is indeed guilty.

Guitarhero

An "eye for an eye" was abolished by G-d Himself. He gives the ultimate punishment. If we cave to this culture of death, then we do not honor all life as He commands us to.

cutiebe2

I still don't have a strong opinion on the death penalty. But I do find it strange that the US is the only Western developed country that still has death penalty and not only that, a large majority of Americans support it. I think many of us have been socialized into the idea that the death penalty will solve problems.
My state (NJ) does not have the death penalty and the justice system is still working. Meanwhile, Texas seems to execute everyone and their momma..

SmileyNY

My problem with the death penalty is Man playing God. God decides when we die and 2 wrongs don't make a right. The death penalty is wrong... and in my opinion, the killer gets off easy.