A Little Info About Proteins

NeeSee

I don't know if this has been posted. I got this off another board a while ago. So here goes:

All proteins are strengthening proteins to some degree but here are more specific characteristics of these proteins:

Collagen Proteins -- known for increasing elasticity in the hair.

Silk Proteins -- known for softening the hair.

Wheat Proteins -- a moisturizing and strengthening protein. Known for increasing the hair's ability to maintain & receive moisture.

Keratin Protein -- responsible for keeping the hair strong and pliable. This is the strongest of the (hair product) proteins and is actually the one hair is made from. This one re-structures hair that has been damaged or broken down by chemicals. It helps to replace the amino acid cysteine which is the main one lost during chemical processing. This is the heavy duty protein. If you see the following as an ingredient:

*a) Keratin protein -- the will re-structure and strengthen the hair cuticle (the outer layer only & the most important layer)

*b) Hydrolyzed Keratin Protein of Keratin Amino Acids -- this means that the Keratin molecules have been broken down and are small enough to go beyond the cuticle and penetrate the hair shaft. It will strengthen all 3 layers of the hair. That is why the term "deep conditioning" technically only refers to this kind of treatment using penetrating proteins.

*c) Hydrolyzed Human Hair Keratin -- This is an exact match for the keratin your hair has (or has lost due to chemical processing). This is the highest quality and most potent keratin that can be used in hair products.

*Vegetable protein -- Vegetable protein absorbs more easily into the hair shaft (than animal protein) and does not create build-up, leaves the hair very shiny, radiant, luxuriant, and healthy.

*Animal protein -- Animal protein breaks down into fatty acids, which coats the hair and create residual build-up.

Silk Amino Acids/Protein -- Natural Silk is the strongest, natural fiber known to mankind. Discovered in Japan and has been used for centuries in all kinds of products that require durability. Silk has a tiny molecule that can penetrate the entire hair shaft deeper than all other proteins without adding any weight leaving the hair feeling clean and non-greasy.

The Keratin is some reconstructors should not leave your hair hard like the Aphogee Treatment for damaged hair (which contains hydrolyzed animal protein). This treatment hardens on your hair for a reason and is used with mild heat. A moisturizing conditioner is a must with this in order to soften like KeraCare Humecto.

Reconstructors that contain keratin and other proteins are supposed to have enough moisture to soften the hair therefore leaving your hair with a nice protein/moisture balance.

Last edited:

Honi

There is no board.
This is great. Do you have any info on milk protein and where it falls on the scale in strength?

scorpio

thanks for the info because I just started using Joico KPak and it has the hydrolzyed human hair keratin....so glad to know its high quality stuff.

navsegda

scorpio said:
thanks for the info because I just started using Joico KPak and it has the hydrolzyed human hair keratin....so glad to know its high quality stuff.

Girl, what you said!

Bosslady1

I posted this info on another site. I received it in my inbox, figured it was useful and reposted it.

It sure is good information.;)

navsegda

Adrian said:
I don't know if this has been posted. I got this off another board a while ago. So here goes:

All proteins are strengthening proteins to some degree but here are more specific characteristics of these proteins:

Wheat Proteins -- a moisturizing and strengthening protein. Known for increasing the hair's ability to maintain & receive moisture.

Keratin Protein -- responsible for keeping the hair strong and pliable. This is the strongest of the (hair product) proteins and is actually the one hair is made from. This one re-structures hair that has been damaged or broken down by chemicals. It helps to replace the amino acid cysteine which is the main one lost during chemical processing. This is the heavy duty protein. If you see the following as an ingredient:

*a) Keratin protein -- the will re-structure and strengthen the hair cuticle (the outer layer only & the most important layer)

*b) Hydrolyzed Keratin Protein of Keratin Amino Acids -- this means that the Keratin molecules have been broken down and are small enough to go beyond the cuticle and penetrate the hair shaft. It will strengthen all 3 layers of the hair. That is why the term "deep conditioning" technically only refers to this kind of treatment using penetrating proteins.

*c) Hydrolyzed Human Hair Keratin -- This is an exact match for the keratin your hair has (or has lost due to chemical processing). This is the highest quality and most potent keratin that can be used in hair products.

*Vegetable protein -- Vegetable protein absorbs more easily into the hair shaft (than animal protein) and does not create build-up, leaves the hair very shiny, radiant, luxuriant, and healthy.

*Animal protein -- Animal protein breaks down into fatty acids, which coats the hair and create residual build-up.

Silk Amino Acids/Protein -- Natural Silk is the strongest, natural fiber known to mankind. Discovered in Japan and has been used for centuries in all kinds of products that require durability. Silk has a tiny molecule that can penetrate the entire hair shaft deeper than all other proteins without adding any weight leaving the hair feeling clean and non-greasy.

The Keratin is some reconstructors should not leave your hair hard like the Aphogee Treatment for damaged hair (which contains hydrolyzed animal protein). This treatment hardens on your hair for a reason and is used with mild heat. A moisturizing conditioner is a must with this in order to soften like KeraCare Humecto.

Reconstructors that contain keratin and other proteins are supposed to have enough moisture to soften the hair therefore leaving your hair with a nice protein/moisture balance.
This is all so beautiful. Thanks for posting! JOICO REPRESENT! I had to bold and color the ones I love the most.

The one about the silk protein especially is like a cliff's notes version for my thread: The Science of Preventing Relaxer Damage by Using Silk

CAPlush

Hmm, all my deep conditioners contain collagen proteins. May be that's the reason I don't run from protein like so many ladies on the board. I did not know animal protein was not keratin, I honestly thought they were the same. If animal protein is not keratin, what is it???

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
Adrian said:

Would you all believe that most the above info. originated on page 1 of this thread right here on LHCF: (courtesty of yours truly)

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=10847&highlight=conditioner

We're good--darn good!

navsegda

bajanplums1 said:
So, is the animal protein bad for the hair? Aphogee and DRC-28 both contain hydrolyzed animal protein.

I don't think animal protein is necessarily bad per se (it's not going to ruin your hair), I just think it's inferior to other types.

sareca

navsegda said:
I don't think animal protein is necessarily bad per se (it's not going to ruin your hair), I just think it's inferior to other types.

Navsegda ever since I read your post about silk proteins and relaxers I been looking at my favorite products more closely. Turns about about 85% of them have silks proteins. My hair seems to prefer silk and keratin.

Last edited:

gummibear1

proclaim aloe hot oil treatment has hydrolized human hair keratin. Before I knew about hair I used to use this product but stopped because it always made my hair hard and I thought it wasn't working right. However, I've learned that this is a great protein treatment and the hardness goes away when I follow up with nexxus humectress. It's sold in little tubes at sallys for $1 and some change.

navsegda

sareca said:
Navsegda ever since I read your post about silk proteins and relaxers I been looking at my favorite products more closely. Turns about about 85% of them have silks proteins. My hair seems to prefer silk and keratin.
Girl, mine too! I notice a definite change in the look, texture, strength, and feel of my hair when using these proteins (especially the silk).

ItsyBitsy

navsegda said:
Girl, mine too! I notice a definite change in the look, texture, strength, and feel of my hair when using these proteins (especially the silk).

Navs, If i remember correctly you mentioned using Motions leave in, does it contain keratin or silk? What has been your experience with it & have you tried it for rollersets. TIA

navsegda

DIONNE31 said:
Navs, If i remember correctly you mentioned using Motions leave in, does it contain keratin or silk? What has been your experience with it & have you tried it for rollersets. TIA

Motions Nourish Leave-In (it's a spray) has keratin protein. I absolutely love this for detangling! I spray it on my wet hair sometimes and the comb just glides though. Definitely nice when you have a lot of new growth. It smells really good, too, kinda like apples. :)

I've never done rollersets.