A lot of questions

rainbowknots

Hey ladies, I'm new to this hair care thing and I've been doing so much research. I have a few questions that I can't seem to find the answer to and I was wondering if someone could help me out by answering a few. It doesn't have to be all, any answer you can supply will be greatly appreciated.

1. What ingredients should I look for to determine whether a product is for protein or not. (I just found out that ORS pak is protein and this whole time I've been thinking it's for moisture)

2. What is the best way to prep your hair for a relaxer?

3. Is it possible to turn a regular conditioner into a deep conditioner? If so, what products would I have to add to it?

4. Are there any good protective styles for NL hair that doesn't involve a ponytail (broke my hair off for years), wigs, or weaves?

5. Is it ok to use the "cool" setting on my blow dryer? (Whenever I try to air dry it looks a hot mess)

6. If I use plain mayo as a prepoo before I wash, is that considered protein or is it for moisture.

There's so many more questions I have, but they're not coming to mind right now.

lexi84

Hey ladies, I'm new to this hair care thing and I've been doing so much research. I have a few questions that I can't seem to find the answer to and I was wondering if someone could help me out by answering a few. It doesn't have to be all, any answer you can supply will be greatly appreciated.

1. What ingredients should I look for to determine whether a product is for protein or not. (I just found out that ORS pak is protein and this whole time I've been thinking it's for moisture) Protein ingredient examples are: Silk Amino Acids, Wheat protein, Hydrolized protein, Whey protein etc. Also, keep in mind that just because a product may have one or two of these ingredients may not mean that its a "protein treatment" persay. It could very well be a moisturizing conditioner with a few protein ingredients addeded to it.
2. What is the best way to prep your hair for a relaxer? Make sure you havent washed your hair for at least 72 hours. Coat your relaxed ends with some type of thick substance. I've heard of members using grease, vaseline, or a thick conditioner. This prevents overlapping/overprocessing. I also like to base my scalp help with burning, and I also have my hair sectioned in twos (front and back) or fours depending on who's doing the relaxer.

3. Is it possible to turn a regular conditioner into a deep conditioner? If so, what products would I have to add to it? It seems that the definition of deep conditioning is in the eyes of the beholder. I use my conditioners the way I see fit.....basically I am not limited to what someone else says I should do with a certain product. If a regular conditioner works really well for your hair, then i dont see a problem with using it as a DCer at times.

4. Are there any good protective styles for NL hair that doesn't involve a ponytail (broke my hair off for years), wigs, or weaves? Wigs and weaves are great alternatives. Also, keep in mind that the purpose of protective styling is to keep your hair off your shoulders, if your hair isnt touching your shoulders then your hair is already in a protective style. When my hair was NL I used to wear it in a loose ponytail, baggied up, underneath my hollow bun. I think I have a pic of that in my fotki.
5. Is it ok to use the "cool" setting on my blow dryer? (Whenever I try to air dry it looks a hot mess). This may not be popular opinion, but I've been blow drying my hair on the cool setting (and I do mean cool-so cool that I can put the blow dryer against my skin and hold it there without burning) at least 3 times a week and my hair feels BETTER now than it did when I air dried. TRUST. However, each head is different, what may work for me, may not work for you. And I still use heat protectant when I do it just to be safe.

6. If I use plain mayo as a prepoo before I wash, is that considered protein or is it for moisture. Is that ORS Mayo? Yes thats protein. :yep:

There's so many more questions I have, but they're not coming to mind right now.

:welcome: My answers are above in Pink

Last edited:

Brooklyn72

Welcome! :grin: Have you been to the favorite sticky thread? It has a lot of great info if you are just starting out. Also, if you use the google search on the top far right of your screen you can find a ton of info too! :yep: Good Luck!

MissMusic

1. What ingredients should I look for to determine whether a product is for protein or not. (I just found out that ORS pak is protein and this whole time I've been thinking it's for moisture)lexi84 summed it up for you. Just wanted to add that the ORS Pak is a moisturizing conditioner, it doesn't have enough protein to be considered a protein conditioner.

lexi84 also summed this up. Just adding that you could wash your hair a day before it just depends on the tolerance of your scalp and the strength of the relaxer.

3. Is it possible to turn a regular conditioner into a deep conditioner? If so, what products would I have to add to it?
You cannot turn a regular conditioner into a deep conditioner. Regular conditioners deal with the surface, they coat the strands and work fast, but are not long term. To be considered a deep conditioner the instructions have to advise you to leave it in for a time. Deep conditioners work their way deep into the strands.

4. Are there any good protective styles for NL hair that doesn't involve a ponytail (broke my hair off for years), wigs, or weaves? ladylends said it all.

5. Is it ok to use the "cool" setting on my blow dryer? (Whenever I try to air dry it looks a hot mess) The point of not using the blow dryer is to keep the heat away from the hair, so in theory you could use the dryer on a cool setting. However it would have to actually be blowing cold air and not just air that is not as hot as the warm setting.

6. If I use plain mayo as a prepoo before I wash, is that considered protein or is it for moisture.
lexi84 answered well

Feel free to PM me with more questions, check out the favorite stickies thread, or check out my blog, the Haircare 101 posts explain lots.

Hope this Helps (HTH)! and :welcome4:

Last edited:

vkb247

The others have done a great job answering your question but I will certainly add my two cents.
1. What ingredients should I look for to determine whether a product is for protein or not. (I just found out that ORS pak is protein and this whole time I've been thinking it's for moisture) ORS is more moisturizing than protein. It is actually well balanced - the perfect type of product you need once you have achieved a good moisture/protein balance.

2. What is the best way to prep your hair for a relaxer? In addition to what the other ladies have said, you might want to try doing a protein treatment a week or so before your touch up so that your hair is nice and strong and in great condition before the chemical process.

3. Is it possible to turn a regular conditioner into a deep conditioner? If so, what products would I have to add to it? There is really no difference between most regular and deep conditioners. Don't rely on what the package says - most of that is marketing hype. I have yet to read exactly what the difference between the two are (yes some say that a deep conditioner penetrates further, but what makes it penetrate further? They don't know.) Do what works for your hair. Heat will help with the penetration :perplexed:grin: issue :lachen:.

6. If I use plain mayo as a prepoo before I wash, is that considered protein or is it for moisture. Regular mayo that you keep in the fridge doesn't have much protein. ORS Mayo, the hair product, does.

Welcome and HHG!

rainbowknots

Thanks ladies for answering those questions for me, I have been doing a lot of searching and stuff but sometimes I can't find exactly what I need

1. What ingredients should I look for to determine whether a product is for protein or not. (I just found out that ORS pak is protein and this whole time I've been thinking it's for moisture)
If a conditioner has protein in it the ingredients will say that. If you a moisturizing conditioner, you look for words like "moisture", "hydra", etc. ]

One week before you can apply protein like Mizani Kerafuse or Aphogee. Just to make the hair strong before any chemical services.

I've used regular moisturizing conditioner (V05, Suave) into a deep conditioner. I just apply and sit under the dryer for 15 to 20 minutes.

4. Are there any good protective styles for NL hair that doesn't involve a ponytail (broke my hair off for years), wigs, or weaves?
If your hair is neck length you should be able to do a ponytail or bun even.

5. Is it ok to use the "cool" setting on my blow dryer? (Whenever I try to air dry it looks a hot mess)
If you're serious about haircare I would give up the blowdryer. I would start rollersetting, it will do wonders for your hair.

I've never done this. If I had to guess I would say protein, becuase egg whites is one of the components of mayonaise.

I hope this helps.

There's so many more questions I have, but they're not coming to mind right now.[/quote]