A New Henna Thread

Pooks

Hello Everyone,

I am a lurker and am coming out of lurker mode to ask a question concerning dying my hair with indigo.

I have did the henna / indigo two step treatment several times and love it. I henne'ed my hair today but did not have time to dye with the indigo. Can I dye my hair with the indigo within 24 hours without having to henna my hair again?

Thanks for your help ladies, I do appreciate it!

Blessings to all!

Brenda

Hey Brenda

I've read at least a couple of times that you are able to effectively dye with indigo within a few days of a henna treatment, so have a go it should 'take'. Sareca used to do indigo only treatments if I remember correctly. HTH!

Angelicus

I just did a henna/indigo two step process last night and my hair is so dang black. This is the fourth time that I have done this. My hair is the blackest it has ever been. OMG I can't wait to style my hair and take a picture. :hair:

Karishma!!! You all have to try it! I paid 1.99 for it at my Indian Grocer. That crap feels so good on my hair and you don't have to wait for the dye release! No waiting! aaaaaaahhhhh I'm addicted!

taz007

I just did a henna/indigo two step process last night and my hair is so dang black. This is the fourth time that I have done this. My hair is the blackest it has ever been. OMG I can't wait to style my hair and take a picture. :hair:

Karishma!!! You all have to try it! I paid 1.99 for it at my Indian Grocer. That crap feels so good on my hair and you don't have to wait for the dye release! No waiting! aaaaaaahhhhh I'm addicted!

:lachen::lachen:You ain't neva' lied! I do a henndigo treatment 2-4 times per month.

Can't wait to see your pics!

Aggie

Hey Brenda

I've read at least a couple of times that you are able to effectively dye with indigo within a few days of a henna treatment, so have a go it should 'take'. Sareca used to do indigo only treatments if I remember correctly. HTH!

Yes she did, but only after she had initially stained her hair with henna first. Indigo does not properly adhere to hair that has not been dyed with henna first. However, if one has already used henna and would like to indigo their hair a few times (ie once a week or every 2 weeks for 4-6 weeks or so), then yes, this is possible. After the henna start to wear off, one would have to apply henna again if they want to continue to use indigo to accomplish extraordinary results every single time. HTH!

Lucky's Mom

Thanks Aggie. I actually hate my purple/aurburn hair!!!! :lachen:

But - I do like Henna - I did the 2nd treatment - and liked it it very much.

It takes a few days for the softness to return. I will presume that is normal...

I will be doing a henna/indigo treat soon.

Aggie

Thanks Aggie. I actually hate my purple/aurburn hair!!!! :lachen:

But - I do like Henna - I did the 2nd treatment - and liked it it very much.

It takes a few days for the softness to return. I will presume that is normal...

I will be doing a henna/indigo treat soon.
You're quite welcomed LM.

vkb247

:yay:I just got my first order of henna! I ordered 20 boxes of Jamila and 1 kg of Rajasthan henna in 100g packs. I also got a sample of Yemen and Henna for African hair. I am definitely going to do it once a week for awhile.

I am hoping it will take me from this :hair: to this :afro:

:pulpdance:

:happydance:
:yahoo:
:woohoo:
:woohoo2:

Last edited:

anniev2

I used to rinse my hair jet black and it seemed like the texture/thickness improved as a result.

Will henna provide similar results?

vkb247

Henna actually binds itself to your hair so it can definitely improve thickness. Some ladies report that it makes their hair feel like doll hair or relaxes their curl a bit (sometimes temporarily).

Pooks

Yes she did, but only after she had initially stained her hair with henna first. Indigo does not properly adhere to hair that has not been dyed with henna first. However, if one has already used henna and would like to indigo their hair a few times (ie once a week or every 2 weeks for 4-6 weeks or so), then yes, this is possible. After the henna start to wear off, one would have to apply henna again if they want to continue to use indigo to accomplish extraordinary results every single time. HTH!

This is what I meant, thank you for explaining it a lot more effectively!

hurricane

Henna actually binds itself to your hair so it can definitely improve thickness. Some ladies report that it makes their hair feel like doll hair or relaxes their curl a bit (sometimes temporarily).

This happened to me. My hair was soooo soft after 2 days of co-washing. And my new growth was relaxed. I could have stretched my relaxer but I'm not one to stretch.

I LOVE HENNA!!!!!

Aggie

For this same reason is why I intend to increase henna'ing my hair from once every 4-6 weeks to once every 2 weeks for conditioning purposes if my hair is not in a protective style like braids/cornrows, etc.

Platinum

My hair feels stronger since I henna'd. I was thinking about doing it once a month but I may try using it more often (like every two weeks).

~*Tigget*~

I will re-henna next week. I started my DD and her hair has improved a lot. Its time for a re-ap for her too :yep:

sunbubbles

Ok ladies 2 questions?

1st I didnt know that you could use henna on Relaxed hair. Ive heard that it only for natural hair. Do you have to use a special brand if your hair is Relaxed or any brand? Im not relaxed, but I was just pondering.

And is the general census that you put it on wet hair or dry?

Im very interested in trying this!

Aggie

Ok ladies 2 questions?

1st I didnt know that you could use henna on Relaxed hair. Ive heard that it only for natural hair. Do you have to use a special brand if your hair is Relaxed or any brand? Im not relaxed, but I was just pondering.

Yes henna is great on both relaxed and natural hair. I think many of the ladies with relaxed hair use a henna gloss (ie, henna with conditioner mixed in it). I know I do. Anyway, you want to make sure that you use henna that body art quality (BAQ henna) nad there are many brands out there that you can use, simply go through this thread to get some of the ones we're using here like Jamila, Karishma, Hesh Mehandi, Reshma, etc...

It is best that you clarify your hair a day or so before you henna your hair and you want to put the henna mix on pre oiled hair and scalp. Scritch your scalp for about 10 minutes also before applying the henna to your hair. This helps the henna to penetrate it for good conditioning and growth. Good luck sunbubbles.

sunbubbles

Yes henna is great on both relaxed and natural hair. I think many of the ladies with relaxed hair use a henna gloss (ie, henna with conditioner mixed in it). I know I do. Anyway, you want to make sure that you use henna that body art quality (BAQ henna) nad there are many brands out there that you can use, simply go through this thread to get some of the ones we're using here like Jamila, Karishma, Hesh Mehandi, Reshma, etc...

It is best that you clarify your hair a day or so before you henna your hair and you want to put the henna mix on pre oiled hair and scalp. Scritch your scalp for about 10 minutes also before applying the henna to your hair. This helps the henna to penetrate it for good conditioning and growth. Good luck sunbubbles.

OH! Thanks so much or the info!

LushLox

I would love to try indigo, but I'm rubbish at these kind of things and I'll probably end up with green hair or something!

1QTPie

Elder Sim
I henna'd just this weekend.

I used 100 grams of Jamila (in cellophane wrapper, not super sift but it was not clumpy anything) from my local Pakistani store.

I mixed in 1 tablespoon of table sugar for the sucrose and fructose (I wanted my mixture to be smooth and easy to rinse out, and it was.)

Then I used 1.5 cups of warm green tea and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice.

I let that sit in my bathroom, unsealed for about 5 hours. Then I left it on my washed damp hair from midnight until 2:30pm. I meant to rinse it at noon, but I fell asleep again. LOL.

I used half of my HUGE jug of Tresemme to get it out. About 4 rinses total.

Then I deep conditioned as usual.

So far so good.

I might do it again this weekend or the next. Next time I think I will just use yogurt to bind and keep it creamy.

OR I might do a henna rinse. Not sure yet.

hurricane

Ok ladies 2 questions?

If you are relaxed even with BAQ henna, wait two weeks after your relaxer as a precaution. Just to be safe.

And

Do not use BAQ henna two weeks before.

If there are other henna heads that do this differentely let me know.

Platinum

If you are relaxed even with BAQ henna, wait two weeks after your relaxer as a precaution. Just to be safe.

And

Do not use BAQ henna two weeks before.

If there are other henna heads that do this differentely let me know.

Uh oh...:ohwell:

I henna'd (Jamila) immediately after my last relaxer. I haven't had any problems so far. I used alot of condish to rinse it out and I DC'd like crazy to prevent that "straw" feeling I got the first time I henna'd. I've also been cowashing with Suave Humectant every other day. I'm not saying that it's the right thing to do so hopefully some of the other Henna ladies can chime in to help with this.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
Ok ladies 2 questions?

No, henna and indigo are fine for relaxed/texlaxed/natural.

I'm relaxed and I apply my henna/indigo on clean, deep conditioned (moisturizing conditioner) damp hair.

Applying to dry 4a/b hair dries the hair out more and will cause brittle, straw-like results.

Angelicus

I have also applied henna and indigo immediately after my relaxing and conditioning process with great results. As Platinum stated, I'm not saying that it's the best thing to do but I do it :look: I think that we should all take precautions with any application to the hair. I suggest waiting but if you can't wait, rinse your hair very well before applying henna.

vkb247

I have been doing as much searching about henna as I could leading up to my first henna and I am amazed by all the different and sometimes mistaken information there is out there. I just henna'ed for the first time yesterday. Here are some interesting things I learned-

I mixed my henna with a metal spoon/fork. Some sites say never do this, some say it is ok. I think it depends if your henna is pure and what type of metal you are using. I didn't have any problems.

It is hard to get the clumps out of henna. Only the sample of Henna for African hair that I had got smooth easily. The clumps made me realize that I was better of mixing it with a fork.

Henna absorbs lots, loads, huge amounts of water. I don't know how much water everyone else is using but I mixed 6 - 35 gram boxes of Jamila henna to do me and my mothers heads (SL and APL) and I ended up filling up a 907g yogurt container after I was done mixing it as smooth as I could get it. That's 210 grams of henna with almost 700 grams of water and my mix was still pretty thick. I am wondering if it's hennas ability to hold so much water that causes it to be drying for some people. I think if you don't add enough water than the henna will absorb the water from your hair.

They say freezing henna can help make the dye more intense. My pre freezing color release was the same as post freezing but freezing the henna definitely made it less clumpy.

Maybe because I added so much water, but I had no problem getting the henna out of my hair. I stood under the shower and let the water run over my hair as I kind if smoothed it for a couple of minutes than I rinsed for several minuted and all the henna was out from this alone. I cowashed and then proceeded as normal. No whole bottle of conditioner used, no dcing, and no dryness!!

I can wait to henna again!

Last edited:

Sunshine_One

I joined the Henna club this past Tuesday. I used Jamila Henna I purchased from an Indian market in Takoma Park, MD. I used Curlynikki's recipe of green tea and honey. I mixed and let it sit for over 12 hours. It went on very smooth and was very easy to rinse out. I used almost a whole bottle of V05 Herbal Escapes Freesia to rinse and deep conditioned for 30 minutes with a mix of Pantene R&N Mask and Biolage Ultra Hydrating balm.

I almost changed my mind (I have commercial color treated hair) but finally decided to it. I only left it on for 90 minutes but I like the results. My hair felt very smooth and sleek after I rinsed. I plan to try out the Karishma Henna I bought from the same market over the weekend.

~NanCeBoTwin~

I have a Henna question....is ACV or some type of acid necessary? I've been sitting on two boxes of Jamila Henna because of this question. I've read numerous threads and I see it mixed with and without the acid.

Also, I have another brand Neha Herbal Mehandi- Ingredients: Henna, Harad, Behera, Amla, Shikakai, coffee, katha, brahmi, bhringraj
Directions say to add water let sit for a couple of hours then to apply as a paste and let sit for 3-4 hours...

I want to try this weekend, but I don't know if I should go with the Jamila or the Neha....Any help would be appreciated.

SouthernStunner

My 13yr old Men
I have a Henna question....is ACV or some type of acid necessary? I've been sitting on two boxes of Jamila Henna because of this question. I've read numerous threads and I see it mixed with and without the acid.

Also, I have another brand Neha Herbal Mehandi- Ingredients: Henna, Harad, Behera, Amla, Shikakai, coffee, katha, brahmi, bhringraj
Directions say to add water let sit for a couple of hours then to apply as a paste and let sit for 3-4 hours...

I want to try this weekend, but I don't know if I should go with the Jamila or the Neha....Any help would be appreciated.

To answer your first question the answer would be NO and say that in caps because I did use acv the first time and it made my hair dry like hay. If it is BAQ henna you dont need a terp for color release water is fine.

Your next question is which one to use (Neha or Jamila) I cant answer that one cause I have never used either. I get mine online frome Hennaforhair.com or Hennasq ( I think that is right). Hennasq is owned by a member her Kadija ( I think that is how you spell it) and I like that one the best.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day

No, acid (vinegar, lemon, lime, etc) is not necessary or desirable. You only need warm water, some oil like Amla or Olive and maybe some moisturizing, non-protein conditioner to make a mix.

Acids (or as some ladies might refer to as Terps) an not needed unless you want to risk dry crunchy hair. Some ladies might have been successful using acid, but most would do better without it.

Platinum

I have to admit that I think I'm addicted to Henna now. I love what it does for my hair! I think I may try to Henna again this weekend.:sekret: