A New Henna Thread

Muse

Well I am officially a hennahead!! I did my first application yesterday afternoon. I found a local Middle Eastern store a few weeks back that sells Jamila henna. At the time I didnt know what Jamila was so when the lady showed me the box I thought to myself 'now what can this cheap looking henna do for my hair?!' little did I know...:grin: I bought the box anyway and came back home to check it out here. It had good reviews so I put it away in my closert for another day. Why did I wait so long to try henna!!!

Yesterday I mixed up the box of Jamila with plain water only, no acids, oils, yougurt, eggs, etc. just plain old TAP water. My hair was a bit dry and tangly before starting but I sectioned my hair into 2 parts and started to apply to one side. I didnt preoil or anything. I got one side applied and only had about 25g or less for the other side! I only had the one box and the store is 35 min away from my house, it's by my job. I just took what was left and tried to spread it as beast I could which wasnt much.

I let it sit for 2 hours in my hair. I didn't wait for dye release because I just wanted the conditioning effects this time around. I was worried about rinsing but Jamila rinses out VERY well and my hair (4b transitioning with more natural hair) started to detangle even before the conditioner. I have to admt I got kinda tired of standing there rinsing in the shower so I sat on the tub floor and let the water hit my head as I parted my hair in small sections:lachen:The fact that I could sit made me WAY more patient and thorough with the rinsing. I did 2 cowashes with my Himilaya Hair Detangler (great stuff!) and DC'd for 20 min with Aubrey HSR. My hair was fabulous!! So soft, thick, stronger, and detangled! I was not expecting this from some of the experiences I had read. I'm the girl who will jump on every miracle bandwagon and not have one of them work for me, but this does!!!

I know they say that the Indian girls have genetically strong and thick hair but come on, henna HAS to help.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
Well I am officially a hennahead!! I did my first application yesterday afternoon. I found a local Middle Eastern store a few weeks back that sells Jamila henna. At the time I didnt know what Jamila was so when the lady showed me the box I thought to myself 'now what can this cheap looking henna do for my hair?!' little did I know...:grin: I bought the box anyway and came back home to check it out here. It had good reviews so I put it away in my closert for another day. Why did I wait so long to try henna!!!

Yesterday I mixed up the box of Jamila with plain water only, no acids, oils, yougurt, eggs, etc. just plain old TAP water. My hair was a bit dry and tangly before starting but I sectioned my hair into 2 parts and started to apply to one side. I didnt preoil or anything. I got one side applied and only had about 25g or less for the other side! I only had the one box and the store is 35 min away from my house, it's by my job. I just took what was left and tried to spread it as beast I could which wasnt much.

I let it sit for 2 hours in my hair. I didn't wait for dye release because I just wanted the conditioning effects this time around. I was worried about rinsing but Jamila rinses out VERY well and my hair (4b transitioning with more natural hair) started to detangle even before the conditioner. I have to admt I got kinda tired of standing there rinsing in the shower so I sat on the tub floor and let the water hit my head as I parted my hair in small sections:lachen:The fact that I could sit made me WAY more patient and thorough with the rinsing. I did 2 cowashes with my Himilaya Hair Detangler (great stuff!) and DC'd for 20 min with Aubrey HSR. My hair was fabulous!! So soft, thick, stronger, and detangled! I was not expecting this from some of the experiences I had read. I'm the girl who will jump on every miracle bandwagon and not have one of them work for me, but this does!!!

I know they say that the Indian girls have genetically strong and thick hair but come on, henna HAS to help.

Nice! Thanks for sharing and I am delighted you've joined the Henna Heads! I swear by my shower seat too!

Muse

After conditioning my hair was so soft I let it air dry for a few hours with NO product just to see how it would feel, and it felt great! I couldn't believe it. I did end up using my leave in out of habit (coconut oil, avocado butter and Knot Today mix) and now the next day my hair feels great!

I will say this though the right side feels even better that the left side (the left side is the one I ran out of henna on:nono:) The right side is softer and less tangled today than the left-oh well now I know it takes 2 boxes!
Also when I applied it to my hair I didn't use gloves my hands were stained orange but when woke up the next day my nails were stronger!!! Next time I will wear gloves though because what good are strong nails if they are an ugly orange:lachen:

What I have learned:

1. Jamila is a good brand, especially for beginners-very easy to work with.
2. Don't mix up a bunch of things in your mix-it could be the other things causing the dryness but the henna gets blamed for it most of the time:sad:
3. Patience when rinsing -here's where things can go wrong again if it's not all rinsed out and since we have highly textured hair it takes more rinsing
4. Enjoy the benefits (I hear it just keeps getting better)

I have naturally fine hair and it just breaks easily no matter what I do or don't do. I believe the coating that henna does will help me maintain my growth even better so I can reach my goal in no time now. I believe the coating also is what's keeping the tangles at bay, since the cuticle is smoother it doesn't tangle and break. I will do this weekly for a while and see where it goes. Thanks ladies for sharing your stories-that has allowed me to be successful at my first henna!!!

Muse

if you leave the henna on for three hours you will get some color release.

Yikes I mixed it by an hour last night, darn. For my second app. I plan on letting the dye release and keeping it in for at least 4 hours. Now that I know henna dosen't dry my hair out at all I feel a lot more comfortable playing around with the color.:yep:

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
After conditioning my hair was so soft I let it air dry for a few hours with NO product just to see how it would feel, and it felt great! I couldn't believe it. I did end up using my leave in out of habit (coconut oil, avocado butter and Knot Today mix) and now the next day my hair feels great!

I will say this though the right side feels even better that the left side (the left side is the one I ran out of henna on:nono:) The right side is softer and less tangled today than the left-oh well now I know it takes 2 boxes!
Also when I applied it to my hair I didn't use gloves my hands were stained orange but when woke up the next day my nails were stronger!!! Next time I will wear gloves though because what good are strong nails if they are an ugly orange:lachen:

What I have learned:

1. Jamila is a good brand, especially for beginners-very easy to work with.
2. Don't mix up a bunch of things in your mix-it could be the other things causing the dryness but the henna gets blamed for it most of the time:sad:
3. Patience when rinsing -here's where things can go wrong again if it's not all rinsed out and since we have highly textured hair it takes more rinsing
4. Enjoy the benefits (I hear it just keeps getting better)

I have naturally fine hair and it just breaks easily no matter what I do or don't do. I believe the coating that henna does will help me maintain my growth even better so I can reach my goal in no time now. I believe the coating also is what's keeping the tangles at bay, since the cuticle is smoother it doesn't tangle and break. I will do this weekly for a while and see where it goes. Thanks ladies for sharing your stories-that has allowed me to be successful at my first henna!!!

:clap: :clap:
Thank you for confirming (yet again) that water (and maybe a little dash of oil or conditioner (optional)) is all you need to have superior results with henna. Thank you!

Muse

Thanks for this.
Next week will be my last Henna - only becasue I need to indigo....

After that - I am saying good bye forever to Henna...It is MUCH too drying.
I think I will add even More water to my current concoction.

Thanks ladies for these tips!

Oh no LM! I just started and your leaving! Do you think it could be anything else you may have added and not the henna itself? Could it be the brand or not rinsing it out all the way?

I was kinda thinking last night that if no one got the drying effects this could be the key to a lot of AA women reaching their goals quicker cause it strenghthens so well! I could tell a big difference after my first app. and if it just keeps getting stronger...

I wish they would offer this service in shops along side the relaxers, press n curls, etc. If I were a beautician I would.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
Has anyone used a cellophane like sabastines clear with the henna or do you use it after and how did you do it (the process)?

I don't know if I would. Why do you want to use the Sebastian's? For shine? Educate me! :yep:

If you are just using henna to condition that's one thing - I would recommend Cassia instead if you just want conditioning and shine and no color.

SouthernStunner

My 13yr old Men
With henna I am getting good color deposit and strenght but not so much shine so I was thinking to do a clear cellophane to give my hair that glossy look.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
With henna I am getting good color deposit and strenght but not so much shine so I was thinking to do a clear cellophane to give my hair that glossy look.

OK. I see. I hope someone else will chime in.
I use indigo after I henna and the shine is just fine. I realize that my hair will only shine but so much, not like the ladies in the hair commercials.
:lachen:

baby42

SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP i did my first henna last night i really like it but..... my hair was dry and not soft . what did i do wrong? i mix it with water and a little cond. i wash it out 3 times with cond and i deep cond did i leave it in too long [ over night] or could it be cause i left in a hair rinse more then 2 min? it didnt knot up or any thing just kind of dry even after i deep con and sat under a dryer. i think i am on the right track but this dry hair is a no no need some help:wallbash::wallbash:my hair looks fuller and feels fuller beside the hair being DRY its a keeper

baddison

natural for good
SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP i did my first henna last night i really like it but..... my hair was dry and not soft . what did i do wrong? i mix it with water and a little cond. i wash it out 3 times with cond and i deep cond did i leave it in too long [ over night] or could it be cause i left in a hair rinse more then 2 min? it didnt knot up or any thing just kind of dry even after i deep con and sat under a dryer. i think i am on the right track but this dry hair is a no no need some help:wallbash::wallbash:my hair looks fuller and feels fuller beside the hair being DRY its a keeper

What I usually do the day of, or the day after I wash out my henna is a whole head baggy with my moisturizer or oils or butters. I prefer to baggy with my butters and seal with Vatika Coconut oil. Nonetheless, whatever you choose to baggy with, the moisture goes into the hair and the dryness is simply gone. Hope this helps. I know other will chime in with what works for each. Two consequtive days of whole-head moisture baggy'ing, and I'm ready for my next henna....LOL!!

Muse

I am new to this so I have no answer but I always wondered about leaving it in over night...I am curious if this could be the culprit.

Also what brand of henna did you use? I'm kinda thinking now that even if a henna is BAQ it has different effects on different heads from brand to brand.

baby42

What I usually do the day of, or the day after I wash out my henna is a whole head baggy with my moisturizer or oils or butters. I prefer to baggy with my butters and seal with Vatika Coconut oil. Nonetheless, whatever you choose to baggy with, the moisture goes into the hair and the dryness is simply gone. Hope this helps. I know other will chime in with what works for each. Two consequtive days of whole-head moisture baggy'ing, and I'm ready for my next henna....LOL!!
lol lol you know i was thinking of dong this cause it do feel like i have to much protein. well here gos a rollar set thanks

mstar

Luxury bacon
I did my first henna treatment on Monday, and it was quite an adventure!

I used Lush red henna (Caca Rouge) because it is easy to use, and comes pre-mixed with cocoa butter, lemon juice, and rosemary. So I didn't have to add anything. I let it sit overnight, then applied with a tint brush while wearing gloves. I left it on for 5 hours.

Washing it out was the hardest part--I bent over the tub and rinsed with water several times. Then I co-washed with AO Honeysuckle Rose, then shampooed five times (twice with Elasta QP Creme Conditioning shampoo, then 3 times with Cocoa Pink's Princess Poo). The Princess Poo is scented with Pink Sugar Noel, so it completely masked the nasty scent of the henna (thank goodness! That smell was nuttin nice.) Then co-washed again with AO HSR. Henna was still coming out with each wash, but I had been bending over the tub for almost an hour at this point, and I just couldn't do it anymore. :ohwell:

Finally, I DC'd with a mixture of SheScentIt Banana Brulee, Redken Smooth Down Butter Treat, coconut oil, and honey. Left it on for five hours, no heat. When I rinsed it out, more henna came out! I hope I have not damaged my hair by leaving henna in...I shampooed two days later, and I think a tiny bit more henna washed out.

My hair felt good afterwards, but a little less soft than usual. I only lost maybe 10 hairs while detangling, and I am a 4b natural!! I didn't get much color, but I will do it again as soon as I take my twists out. I desperately want thicker hair, and I hope henna can help me out. I also hope to get a deep, rich color after a few applications...I hate having plain black hair.

baddison

natural for good
I am new to this so I have no answer but I always wondered about leaving it in over night...I am curious if this could be the culprit.

Also what brand of henna did you use? I'm kinda thinking now that even if a henna is BAQ it has different effects on different heads from brand to brand.

I henna overnite 2x's per month, and although I am aware of the drying abilities of henna, I have found a solution that works for me. I have absolutely no issues with drying hair & henna. I am enthralled with the benefits my hair is receiving from regular use of henna. My hair is soooo strong, so thick, it doesn't break, shedding is minimal. And the repeated use of henna has given my black hair a beautiful auburn/burgundy color in the sunlight, and my greys are simply beautiful.

Hopefully this will help others too.:yep:

baby42

I got it from henna hut but you could be right about that over night thing NEVER AGAIN:nono:it may not be for me LOL

Last edited:

SouthernStunner

My 13yr old Men
Has anyone used a cellophane like sabastines clear with the henna or do you use it after and how did you do it (the process)?

My goal is to have glossy hair. I have done the henna glosses and it was not so glossy. I love the color deposit I get with henna but no shine.

SOMEONE ANSWER ME PLEASE, I HAVE POSTED THIS EVERYWHERE!

Hello Everyone I am ready to tried the henna today , to help me restore my thin black and gray hair. I purchased my black Henna power for from an India store, The slaes person gave me Indica Herbal black hair color not Indigo that I asked for, my glasses was in the car. So I not able to do my Indigo after my henna on tomorrow , I will tried the Henna tomorrow and hope I can find the Indigo another time.
Also I purchased Shikakai , Aritha , and Amla , I may mixed the Alma with the henna since it help permotes black hair wish me luck, and thanks for all of the information.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
Hello Everyone I am ready to tried the henna today , to help me restore my thin black and gray hair. I purchased my black Henna power for from an India store, The slaes person gave me Indica Herbal black hair color not Indigo that I asked for, my glasses was in the car. So I not able to do my Indigo after my henna on tomorrow , I will tried the Henna tomorrow and hope I can find the Indigo another time.
Also I purchased Shikakai , Aritha , and Amla , I may mixed the Alma with the henna since it help permotes black hair wish me luck, and thanks for all of the information.

I have thin and fine graying hair.

Might I suggest you just use the henna (mixed only with water and a dash of oil to really moisturized, clean, damp hair) and save the Amla until your hair has more strength and then do your indigo.

Remember that these treatments, especially Amla powder, though natural, can be drying to the hair unless the hair is prepped properly.

We want your experience to be better than good. :yep:

Might I suggest you just use the henna (mixed only with water and a dash of oil to really moisturized, clean, damp hair) and save the Amla until your hair has more strength and then do your indigo.

Remember that these treatments, especially Amla powder, though natural, can be drying to the hair unless the hair is prepped properly.

Thanks for the advice I will only mix with water , and you have very pretty hair , I love the dark color Thanks

Pooks

I know that Sareca did at one point. Perhaps you could send her a quick pm and then don't forget to come back and update us on it:grin:

Sareca said she used liquid pectin with no problems and suggests that if you are using powdered to mix well before adding it to the indigo. I don't know if I'll be able to find liquid, so may have to explore other options or mix my pectin very well before adding to the indigo as she suggests.

baby42

I henna overnite 2x's per month, and although I am aware of the drying abilities of henna, I have found a solution that works for me. I have absolutely no issues with drying hair & henna. I am enthralled with the benefits my hair is receiving from regular use of henna. My hair is soooo strong, so thick, it doesn't break, shedding is minimal. And the repeated use of henna has given my black hair a beautiful auburn/burgundy color in the sunlight, and my greys are simply beautiful.

thanks so much baddison:yep: i bag over night with my roller set in with my hair butter and seal end and when i took out mY roller boy my hair was so soft again baggie WORKS AFTER A HENNA TREATMENT.I EVEN LEFT MY ROLLER IN:lachen:JUST LAZY CAUSE THE CURLS LOOK SO PRETTY BEFORE JUST DRY. NOW ITS A KEEPER THANKS AGAIN

Muse

This is what I can't wait for! Super strong hair!!! How long have been doing henna treatments?

Hi Everyone

Since my last post I mixed up my Henna and allow it to sit over night for about 13 hours As well I shampoo with a mixer of Alma , Arthia and Shikakal a teaspoon of each mixed in hot water. After that I condition with profective and wash out and then I put in mango butter overnight. This afternoon I put the henna on dryed hair I forgot to damp my hair, I notice some tangling up in my hair , so I not sure of what happen, I sat under my dryer for an hour , hoping this will untangle my hair. I still have two more hours before I wash my hair I want to keep it on for about 4 hous because of my gray. I praying my hair did not tangle much. Take care , be blessed

baddison

natural for good
This is what I can't wait for! Super strong hair!!! How long have been doing henna treatments?

My first attempts at henna'ing were HORRIBLE....I started in November 2008. I could never get the mix right...LOL! It was always too thick & muddy, and washing it out was a veritable pain!!:wallbash:

But I continued to research and kept trying. I read up on what other successfull "henna-heads" were doing and tried to emulate them. Finally I found a mix that works well for me. This is my staple henna mix now. I use NUPUR henna and RESHMA henna. I didn't like Jamila....it was entirely too RED for my black hair. And my greys were an awful orange that I couldn't stand. I started henna-ing once per month, but since I am using different growth aids and hairgrowing techniques, halfway thru the month, I would notice the growth of my hair. One day I plucked a strand of my grey hair and it was a pretty auburn/burgundy all the way down, EXCEPT THE 1/4 inch or 1/2 inch of new growth. That was a phenomena to me. I was like......WWHHHHOOOAAAAA...

It occured to me that if my hair is growing so fast, I need to make sure my henna'ing is on par. I really only need to address my roots twice per month, but I am enjoying the benefits of henna soooo much. I just slap it on my entire head (paying SPECIAL attention to those new roots) every 2nd and 4th friday of the month. Repeated use has made my hair so very dark...with an deep auburn/almost burgandy tint in the sunlight. Indoors, it is totally un-noticeable...just the way I like it!!

I have read where indian some indian women henna weekly:blush:....too much for me, but I love my biweekly treatments. To me, its like all other treatments that I give my tresses...my weekly DC's....my weekly washes...my daily moisturizing....my nightly baggyings.....etc.

Hope this helps.

vkb247

I also hope to get a deep, rich color after a few applications...I hate having plain black hair.

Henna dye is translucent so it only gives black hair a "glow" in the sunshine or light. I henna'd 3 times in eight days and I have a nice burgundy glow but I swear only I can see it.

I am not seeing the type of shine I have seen some get with henna either. I think that maybe it has more obvious effects on finer hair than on coarser hair. I also think that more of the henna shine shows with some sort of set as opposed to a wash n go. I have been contemplating a cellophane for months. Maybe I will give it a try.

I have actually read that Amla is very moisturizing...

For anyone who is contemplating using Cassia...it is simialr to henna but not permanent like henna so you will have to keep up with it to keep the effects.

Update on my first henna wash out it went really well , I wash with warm water for about 10min and then condition with phytorelax condition I got from Ross for 6 dolllar twice and it was all out , I also shampoo twice with cream of nature to ensure the henna was out of my hair. At this time I am DC with coconut oil and profectiv deep condition. No tangle or loss hair . As for the color I cant really tell , but my gray is somewhat dark. I wish I had the Indigo , I will tried this next time.

Last edited: