A New Henna Thread

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
Update on my first henna wash out it went really well , I wash with warm water for about 10min and then condition with phytorelax condition I got from Ross for 6 dolllar twice and it was all out , I also shampoo twice with cream of nature to ensure the henna was out of my hair. At this time I am DC with coconut oil and profection deep condition. No tangle or loss hair . As for the color I cant really tell , but my gray is somewhat dark. I wish I had the Indigo , I will tried this next time.

Great! Your grays will be bright red, but will oxidize in 24-48 hours and darken a little.
Until you indigo, your red highlights will be bright in sunlight. Don't be shocked! :yep:

baby42

how long do you have to wait too henna before a ralaxer or after to do a henna treatment? thank you:yep:

Last edited:

Khadija.D.Carryl

PS BUT the henna must be 100% pure and not a mixed box of henna and herbs because it may contain other ingredients that have bad reactions with chemicals. The marketing term sometimes used for this type of henna is body art quality.
(Even though not ever type of hair quality henna is even used on the body for professional henna artists. I don't use any henna as a body artist other then jamila summer crop, and rajasthani indian fall crops only)

honeybadgirl

i saw the website to buy the henna but where can i buy indigo? i want to dye my hair black sooooo badly however, i just dont want to use chemicals in my hair. henna looks like a very good alternative.
thanks!!:grin:

Khadija.D.Carryl

I've never shopped there, but I suppose the Hesh products would be okay. Just try to get it at 100% pure and not one of those mixed boxes if you use chemicals or relaxers or anything else.

The indigo doesn't look like it's there. You'll have to find a henna supplier online who specializes in indigo and natural hair care specifically and not someone who sells a tons of other stuff. Like they sell a lot of food items. and you can contact them directly for your questions, as they would know best about their own site.

honeybadgirl

I've never shopped there, but I suppose the Hesh products would be okay. Just try to get it at 100% pure and not one of those mixed boxes if you use chemicals or relaxers or anything else.

The indigo doesn't look like it's there. You'll have to find a henna supplier online who specializes in indigo and natural hair care specifically and not someone who sells a tons of other stuff. Like they sell a lot of food items. and you can contact them directly for your questions, as they would know best about their own site.

ok...is the site you have where you order? and yes, i do have a relaxer. i really want to do this henna thing but now i'm getting a little scared:look:

Muse

Has anyone used BOTH types of Jamila henna (foil and cellophane packs)? I used the hair quality one with great success but I hear you can get even better results with the BAQ Jamila. Is this true?

Hi Everyone

Day 2 of my henna result , my hair is soft and shine , the henna soften my kicten in the back , I had no problem putting my hair back in my phony pny tail., no heat was use at all, just comb and brush. My color is black with cooper highlight, which is my gray., I only use black henna power by Minar company that purchased at Indian store in Georgia. I will never buy BSS hair dye ever again or oils, I will contiue to henna as long as I can and use Indian hair products , I hoping to get healty hair. Sorry no picture, I want to compare my results 3 months from today.

Last edited:

vkb247

Has anyone used BOTH types of Jamila henna (foil and cellophane packs)? I used the hair quality one with great success but I hear you can get even better results with the BAQ Jamila. Is this true?

Which one is which? I use the one in the foil pack and I was wondering which one it was.

Muse

Which one is which? I use the one in the foil pack and I was wondering which one it was.

The one in the foil pack is the BAQ (for body and hair). It's suppose to be even better than the one in the clear package (for hair only). Someone on another henna thread said that the one in the foil pack is the one that gives you consistently soft hair and the clear pack is kind of a gamble. I have only used the clear pack because it's what I can find locally and I have had great results with it but if it can get even better...:grin:

I am thinking about ordering one applications worth of the foil pack to compare.

Muse

Hey January Noir,

I was reading an older henna thread where you said Catherines instructions for applying henna to dry hair wasnt for our hair type and you recommended applying to pre-deep conditioned DAMP hair. I understand why you would want to apply to conditioned hair but why damp? Does it help prevent it from hardening making it even easier to rinse out?

Thanks!

Khadija.D.Carryl

What was the reasoning behind not applying onto damp hair for our hair type? What was the reasoning or experience in this situation.

There really is no real straightforward hair type even amongst black hair that is all the same either, so the reference would be a bit to general to me. Not all black hair types are even the same anyhow either.

I hope my statement makes sense. I'd say try it on damp hair for an easier application and compare to a dry application and do what works best for your hair type.

Sorry, it just REALLY bothers me a lot when people recommend ONE set way to do your hair or WHAT is supposed to be best for you, when we have to do WHAT WE WANT and know is best for us. We can use the general guidelines but they are not set in stone.

Just like the whole lemon juice thing. I mean, how many people would have turned away from henna a LONG time ago if they thought they HAD to use lemon juice. Thank goodness for alternatives, and for the open minds of people who figured out this realization of other options.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
Hey January Noir,

I was reading an older henna thread where you said Catherines instructions for applying henna to dry hair wasnt for our hair type and you recommended applying to pre-deep conditioned DAMP hair. I understand why you would want to apply to conditioned hair but why damp? Does it help prevent it from hardening making it even easier to rinse out?

Thanks!

Hey Muse!

I found that applying henna (or indigo, cassia, etc.) goes on easier when the hair is damp, especially if you have some length, at least for me.
Khadijah, owner of Henna Sooq also agrees.

The hair is easier to section, by using clips or your hands and makes the whole process less messy.

When I henna'ed on dry hair, the mix would slide off the hair too much. With damp hair, the mix clings to the hair and goes on smoother.

I can now henna and indigo without any drips, splats or messes of any kind in my bathroom. When I first started doing henna, I would cover my bathroom floor, sink, countertops, every inch of the bathroom because I heard it was so messy. Not anymore! :yep: No need.

baddison

natural for good
What was the reasoning behind not applying onto damp hair for our hair type? What was the reasoning or experience in this situation.

There really is no real straightforward hair type even amongst black hair that is all the same either, so the reference would be a bit to general to me. Not all black hair types are even the same anyhow either.

I hope my statement makes sense. I'd say try it on damp hair for an easier application and compare to a dry application and do what works best for your hair type.

Sorry, it just REALLY bothers me a lot when people recommend ONE set way to do your hair or WHAT is supposed to be best for you, when we have to do WHAT WE WANT and know is best for us. We can use the general guidelines but they are not set in stone.

Just like the whole lemon juice thing. I mean, how many people would have turned away from henna a LONG time ago if they thought they HAD to use lemon juice. Thank goodness for alternatives, and for the open minds of people who figured out this realization of other options.

KUDOS!!! :clap: well-said, Khadija!! As always, you are right on par.:yep: I do not use lemon juice in my henna mix. I do not henna on damp hair. I henna overnite. This is what I WANT and this is what WORKS for ME....

Hi Khadija
Please help
I want to do weekly henna to help strenght my hair , but not sure if it will hurt my hair , I found my black henna in a India store over the weekend call Minar, I not sure if this was the right henna , this was the first and only time I have ever henna, so please let me know , if I not on the right track.

Last edited:

vkb247

The one in the foil pack is the BAQ (for body and hair). It's suppose to be even better than the one in the clear package (for hair only). Someone on another henna thread said that the one in the foil pack is the one that gives you consistently soft hair and the clear pack is kind of a gamble. I have only used the clear pack because it's what I can find locally and I have had great results with it but if it can get even better...:grin:

I am thinking about ordering one applications worth of the foil pack to compare.

Interesting. Maybe this is one of the reasons that I haven't experienced any drying with henna.

Platinum

Hey Muse!

I found that applying henna (or indigo, cassia, etc.) goes on easier when the hair is damp, especially if you have some length, at least for me.

The hair is easier to section, by using clips or your hands and makes the whole process less messy.

When I henna'ed on dry hair, the mix would slide off the hair too much. With damp hair, the mix clings to the hair and goes on smoother.

I can now henna and indigo without any drips, splats or messes of any kind in my bathroom. When I first started doing henna, I would cover my bathroom floor, sink, countertops, every inch of the bathroom because I heard it was so messy. Not anymore! :yep: No need.

Thanks for your post. I had the exact same experience when using Henna. I prefer appying it on damp hair as opposed to dry hair.:yep:

Khadija.D.Carryl

Clear package VS foil packaging: ONE Henna Brand. This henna brand is Jamila created and packaged by Abid and Co.

The cellophane clear packaging is henna powder for hair. The latest boxes have the writting henna for hair written in black on the inside of the box which should be sealed with plastic so you know it is not tampered with.
Yes this henna is not as great as some henna powders, I find it to be definetely a hair quality henna, meaning I would never use it for body art. It's okay.

The foil packaging, latest one has the writting in red that says premium quality JAMILA henna. This is the cream of the crop, best henna powder ever. This henna powder is used by professional henna artists and is true to the term BODY ART QUALITY. It is smooth, creamy, washes out well, and the freshest best henna leaves are chosen for this product. Color is really rich.
This one also comes inside boxes with plastic wrap around it.

Balancegoals2009, be careful with the black henna product. Read the ingredients and see how pure it is. Do a hair strand test to be certain. It might have additives or PPD, please check. It depends on your level of how natural with henna and herbs you want to be. It might not work well because of the sift and because we cant tell how fresh this product is. But hair strand test is your best bet. PM me if you want more help.

Baddison, right on sister! Right on. :) Merci beaucoup!

Clear package VS foil packaging: ONE Henna Brand. This henna brand is Jamila created and packaged by Abid and Co.

The cellophane clear packaging is henna powder for hair. The latest boxes have the writting henna for hair written in black on the inside of the box which should be sealed with plastic so you know it is not tampered with.
Yes this henna is not as great as some henna powders, I find it to be definetely a hair quality henna, meaning I would never use it for body art. It's okay.

The foil packaging, latest one has the writting in red that says premium quality JAMILA henna. This is the cream of the crop, best henna powder ever. This henna powder is used by professional henna artists and is true to the term BODY ART QUALITY. It is smooth, creamy, washes out well, and the freshest best henna leaves are chosen for this product. Color is really rich.
This one also comes inside boxes with plastic wrap around it.

Balancegoals2009, be careful with the black henna product. Read the ingredients and see how pure it is. Do a hair strand test to be certain. It might have additives or PPD, please check. It depends on your level of how natural with henna and herbs you want to be. It might not work well because of the sift and because we cant tell how fresh this product is. But hair strand test is your best bet. PM me if you want more help.

Baddison, right on sister! Right on. :) Merci beaucoup!

Hi Khadija

I read the ingredients it stated henna plant , but they sttaed on line that in some courtry you dont have to put all ingredients. I going to trash the rest and start over, I henna this past weekend , my results was good my hair turn black with copper highlights, and soft. I going to order from your sight . One last question how often can I henna

Khadija.D.Carryl

Balance2009, Oh I did forget that I wanted to say something about how you wanted to henna every week. You don't have to do it so often, especially since herbal hair treatments can be drying. So every 2-4 weeks is okay but the average is done every 4-6 weeks, but the lesser time doesn't hurt. Just watch your budget, and see what your needs are, such as to possibly cover greys or not, do you want any color, things like that, etc....

Muse

Hey Muse!

Ahh, makes sense. LOL, I did get it all over my bathroom sink and a little on the walls. I'm gonna try it on damp hair this weekend to see which I prefer. Thanks!