A New Henna Thread

Hairties

I made my version of Curly Proverbs strengthening tea.

I used Napur Henna
Bhringraj powder
aloe vera powder and juice.
Lavender, Rosemary, and Cedarwood essential oils.

Hair feels strong. I moisturized and sealed with some HBCO and a little sweet potato hair cream.

Hairties

Got the rest of my powders.

Zenia Cassia with this brand. Anyone use this particular brand? I've seen people use the indigo from it.

Brahmi
Shikakai

Aggie

Got the rest of my powders.

Zenia Cassia with this brand. Anyone use this particular brand? I've seen people use the indigo from it.

Brahmi
Shikakai
I saw this on amazon and I added it to my wish list. I have not used this but yeah, I have used the indigo and love it.

faithVA

So it's not just my imagination that the indigo is coming off in my hands. Even when my hair is dry, I can see the indigo flakes on my sink when I took my twist out today. No wonder after two weeks, my hair looks like I didn't use any indigo at all :lol: I will definitely have to see if mixing the henna and indigo together work better for me.

Allandra

I used to henna many years ago.

After going through this thread (yes, it sure is a lot of pages - but so much great information), I decided to start using henna again (and indigo).

:wave: @Aggie Hi there my dear, long time friend. I hope all is well. Thx so much for all of the good information you and the other ladies placed in this thread. Those henna gloss treatments sound extra yummy.

Aggie

I used to henna many years ago.

After going through this thread (yes, it sure is a lot of pages - but so much great information), I decided to start using henna again (and indigo).

:wave: @Aggie Hi there my dear, long time friend. I hope all is well. Thx so much for all of the good information you and the other ladies placed in this thread. Those henna gloss treatments sound extra yummy.

Hi @Allandra, thanks hon. I love henna glosses. They work wonders on my hair and keep it looking very healthy. I'm waiting on some powders to arrive as we speak. Can't wait to try rose petal, aloe vera and moringa powders on my hair.

Aggie

So it's not just my imagination that the indigo is coming off in my hands. Even when my hair is dry, I can see the indigo flakes on my sink when I took my twist out today. No wonder after two weeks, my hair looks like I didn't use any indigo at all :lol: I will definitely have to see if mixing the henna and indigo together work better for me.
Did you wait I believe it's 48 hours after applying the indigo to add oils/deep conditioner etc, to your hair? I don't think you should add any oils/deep conditioner/shampoo in that time. Light conditioning only is okay - no deep conditioning until about 3 days later.

ETA:

I got this from hennasooq's blog and I hope it helps - check it out:

WHY INDIGO DOESN’T TAKE TO YOUR HAIR

It can be very frustrating and confusing when indigo doesn’t take on your hair. It’s common that we hear from clients regarding indigo concerns, especially those just starting out.

There can be a number of reason this occurs:

-Existing product build up on the hair
-Indigo not dye released
-Indigo dye demise
-Indigo not covered while on the hair well enough
-Using Organic Indigo rather the Indigo for hair. Indigo for hair has a higher dye content and offers better grey coverage
-Conditioner used after henna and before indigo
-Resistant grey hair (may require more than one treatment)
-Resistant hair in general (may require more than one treatment)
-Acids added to indigo (indigo does not like acidic liquids)
-Indigo not left on long enough
-Shampooing or oiling after indigo paste removal can wash it out
-Not oxidised enough. The colour shall deepen 2-4 days after paste removal
-No salt, or not enough salt

Last edited:

Allandra

I did a two step process. I did henna first (boy oh boy were my gray strands really red - like fire lol). I did not let my dh see this (because I didn't want to freak him out lol). I did the indigo second (and sat under my Pibbs dryer (hadn't used that bad boy in a very long time), and I got a nice, dark, rich shade, and I absolutely love it. DH said, whatever you did, you sure did do a good job. My youngest brother noticed my hair immediately (yesterday), and he said it looks really nice. I'll have to post a new pic in my avatar soon.

@Aggie Thx so much. I can't wait to order some new stuff soon.

Aggie

I did a two step process. I did henna first (boy oh boy were my gray strands really red - like fire lol). I did not let my dh see this (because I didn't want to freak him out lol). I did the indigo second (and sat under my Pibbs dryer (hadn't used that bad boy in a very long time), and I got a nice, dark, rich shade, and I absolutely love it. DH said, whatever you did, you sure did do a good job. My youngest brother noticed my hair immediately (yesterday), and he said it looks really nice. I'll have to post a new pic in my avatar soon.

@Aggie Thx so much. I can't wait to order some new stuff soon.

@Allandra
You're quite welcomed love. I can't wait to see your results and I am so happy your hair turned out great.

faithVA

Did you wait I believe it's 48 hours after applying the indigo to add oils/conditioner etc, to your hair? I don't think you should add any oils/conditioner in that time.

ETA:

I got this from hennasooq's blog and I hope it helps - check it out:

WHY INDIGO DOESN’T TAKE TO YOUR HAIR

It can be very frustrating and confusing when indigo doesn’t take on your hair. It’s common that we hear from clients regarding indigo concerns, especially those just starting out.

There can be a number of reason this occurs:

-Existing product build up on the hair
-Indigo not dye released
-Indigo dye demise
-Indigo not covered while on the hair well enough
-Using Organic Indigo rather the Indigo for hair. Indigo for hair has a higher dye content and offers better grey coverage
-Conditioner used after henna and before indigo
-Resistant grey hair (may require more than one treatment)
-Resistant hair in general (may require more than one treatment)
-Acids added to indigo (indigo does not like acidic liquids)
-Indigo not left on long enough
-Shampooing or oiling after indigo paste removal can wash it out
-Not oxidised enough. The colour shall deepen 2-4 days after paste removal
-No salt, or not enough salt

Thank You. No I didn't do any oils or conditioners after. It's probably my hair is resistant in general. It's not much I know to do about that. I can try adding more salt.

Aggie

Thank You. No I didn't do any oils or conditioners after. It's probably my hair is resistant in general. It's not much I know to do about that. I can try adding more salt.
It could also be that you may need to do a few accumulated indigo treatments as well because your hair may be a bit resistant.

faithVA

okay, try them once every 2 weeks for 3-4 sessions and see what happens. I don't know which indigo you are using - can you please share?

I don't even remember and I threw the wrapper away. :ohwell: I will try one of the kinds recommended here when I repurchase. OK I will try it more often. I will start when I know I will be home for several weekends in a row.

jerseyhaircare

I hennaed my hair again last Saturday. Wasn't as good as the first, but all human error. First, I realized that what I had was closer to hennaindigo (was wondering why my hair was so dark). Second, I opened a can of coconut crème, not milk. I was on my last batch and already washed my hair, so I proceeded as if everything was normal. I added cholesterol and some conditioner (aussie moist) to thickening up the concoction and added some oils for slip/luck. It went on great, but after I wrapped my hair in saran wrap, there was dripping (had to add more wrap and placed a towel around my head to stop that). Washing it out was also worse, took about 20 minutes with multiple condition sessions-about 3-4. However, my hair feels great-nice and strong (and way too dark). My strands actually look thicker and oddly, my roots feel straighter.

I pan to read this whole thread and figure out the next brand of real henna to purchase, since I prefer a red tint to my hair. Yet, so far, so good.

faithVA

I pulled my henna from the freezer. I mixed about 4 tbsp of indigo with warm water and let it sit while I shampooed my hair. I then mixed about 1/2 cup to 2/3 cup of the henna mix with the indigo. I applied it with a color brush and it went on well that way. I put on a plastic cap and I wore that for a while until the dripping drove me crazy. I left it on the remainder of the time with no plastic cap. All together I left it on for 3 hours.

I don't know that if it turned out better this way than the 2 step process but it going to have to do. I don't have 5 to 8 hours to henna/indigo my hair. This way it didn't bleed so much while twisting my hair up.

I need to work on my ratios. Next time I will try more indigo.

NowIAmNappy

I did a henna treatment Monday night into Tuesday morning, I mixed henna, indigo and Amla and my hair came out a rich chocolate color. I let the henna dye release for 24 hours before applying. I then deep conditioned under a wig while at work for 8 hours, usually I don't deep condition that long. However, my hair came out amazing my hair had no breakage and my curls were popping.

Aggie

I did a henna treatment Monday night into Tuesday morning, I mixed henna, indigo and Amla and my hair came out a rich chocolate color. I let the henna dye release for 24 hours before applying. I then deep conditioned under a wig while at work for 8 hours, usually I don't deep condition that long. However, my hair came out amazing my hair had no breakage and my curls were popping.
Great review @NowIAmNappy :up:.

faithVA

So my last henna/indigo experiment didn't work out so well. It's less than a month and I am in need of a touch up. I'm back to doing the process separately. Mixing them together, I didn't get good coverage for the henna or the indigo.

Of course I procrastinated and did start early enough. I already had henna in the freezer so I took that out a few days ago. I applied it with a color brush which works well. I let it sit for 1 hour without a plastic cap. I wasn't in the mood for henna running down my neck. I rinsed and it took well enough.

I mixed the indigo with warm water and salt and let it sit while I rinsed out the henna. I mixed in just a little of the premade henna with the indigo before I applied it. I wanted to see if made the indigo a little smoother and easier to apply. I do think it helped some. I am sitting with the indigo in now and will let it sit for 2 hours. One day I will start earlier and let it sit for 4 hours to see if there is a difference. I applied oil on my ends to keep them from sticking together. I will see if that helps.

Just for my own records I need to remember I need 3 heaping tbsp of indigo for my entire head.

faithVA

This was a much better experience. I didn't wear a plastic cap with the indigo either which saved me from the indigo running down my face. Not wearing one does not seem to have impacted my color any. It actually may have helped.

I can't bear rinsing in too cool water as it gets cooler so I rinsed it with maybe tepid water. The indigo rinsed out easily. The oil on the ends really seemed to help. My hair wasn't all stuck together like it usually is. I rinsed twice and then sprayed my hair heavily with a diluted leave in.

I wanted to let it dry a bit but I'm always afraid my hair will tangle too much if I let it sit too long. I twisted it up in big twist. I lost some of the indigo on my gloves while twisting but I think overall I still will retain most of the color.

I will see what it looks like tomorrow but I already know it is better than my last session. My hair is at least brownish red and not copper.